1 Thread(s)

Paul Submariner, more like.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    We ALL complained that Winter wouldn't change his system - so lets not now complain that Mariner is saying that we shouldn't have one fixed system. Isn't this what we all were asking for in the first place?
    Not at all true. There were many people who wanted Winter to keep playing that system and reading these threads it's pretty clear to me that there are many people who still wish we had stuck with Winter and his system. Just because YOU thought that his system was a problem, doesn't mean we ALL thought it was the problem.
    IMO Winter's system wasn't a problem, his player selection was. You can't try to play a proper buildup game with passing and moving and then play Dunfield in every game. Also the players up front were missing an unusually high number of sitters. Systems don't make you do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spain's 4-3-3 tikka-takka wasn't too impressive today! It was downright frustrating to watch in fact! I kept shouting "SHOOT" at the TV while the Spanish insisted on trying to run the ball into the net rather than take a shot or put a direct pass into the penalty area! Tikka-takka isn't all its cracked up to be most of the time!
    Spain's always been boring as fuck to watch. The WC semifinal against Germany is possibly the worst game I've ever seen. Their problem is that they play midfielders on the wings, don't have a real striker (although when they did they still sucked to watch) and play with midfielders that don't shoot from range. The result is crazy passing patterns but no one with the balls to try to score

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spain's 4-3-3 tikka-takka wasn't too impressive today! It was downright frustrating to watch in fact! I kept shouting "SHOOT" at the TV while the Spanish insisted on trying to run the ball into the net rather than take a shot or put a direct pass into the penalty area! Tikka-takka isn't all its cracked up to be most of the time!

Also, since Winter was in charge, I'd say TFC's best two goals were BOTH long ball dorect football (Frei to Martina, and Santos' knockdown to Gordon to half volley home). I'd also add to that Luis Silva's goal at the Rogers Centre - another example of great long ball football. Who says long ball can't be good to watch? Those goals were definitely VERY exciting to see!
    Ireland's long ball game yesterday was real fun to watch,even my Irish coworker was frustrated with that performance and style of play.
    You are generalizing that every team that plays 433 is tika-taka,same as many people say 442 is kick and run

433 tika-taka is Spain/Barca style,Dutch NT plays 433 too,but looks as totally different formation and style,like I mention it in my previous post,Croatia made their 442 look like tika taka,while Ireland 442 was Hoof-ball.

Ajax-TFC nailed it in his post above,there is a difference between "system" and "formation" and many people have trouble seeing it.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Formations and systems aren't the same thing, but they aren't entirely different things either. Formations are developed and oriented to playing certain systems, so they're the flip side of the same coin. 4-4-2 is an inherently more defensive formation, but doesn't mean you can't get offense out of it. RSL plays 4-4-2 btw, someone posted above they play 4-3-3.

I can see us going to 4-2-3-1 (which is what we really play anyway if you look at it closely on the field - at least when we're not playing 5 at the back). Can't see us going to 4-4-2 - we simply don't have two strikers, and Soolsma is probably the only true wide midfielder we have. We'll see what Chuggers can come up with.
    Last edited by Canary10; 06-11-2012 at 09:05 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    Paul Submariner, more like.

Awesome. Nicknames already!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ I was more thinking along the lines of being taken out from underneath.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I wish him luck.

I'm confused by all the references to Mariner's coaching experience in MLS. He has 0 games as head coach and quite a few as Assistant.

In total, he has 28 games of experience as a Head Coach... all with Plymouth. Last I checked, 28 games as a head coach is less than a full MLS season.

As I said, I wish him luck. I will rally behind him but I certainly won't be calling him experienced.

I guess it doesn't matter, being "experienced" isn't really a criteria for a job in that organization. From our first coach (15 games of prior experience) to our first Director of Soccer Operations (same guy as the first coach) to our first Executive VP and COO to our most recent International Scout (de Klerk who has never scouted before) to our most recent North American Scout (Dasovic who had never scouted before) to coaches along the way who cut their teeth with us (Cummins, Dasovic, Winter, Mariner) without a season of head coaching experience to their credit to the youngest roster in MLS. Working for TFC is better than a College Co-op placement.
    Last edited by Pookie; 06-11-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Ireland's long ball game yesterday was real fun to watch,even my Irish coworker was frustrated with that performance and style of play.
    You are generalizing that every team that plays 433 is tika-taka,same as many people say 442 is kick and run

433 tika-taka is Spain/Barca style,Dutch NT plays 433 too,but looks as totally different formation and style,like I mention it in my previous post,Croatia made their 442 look like tika taka,while Ireland 442 was Hoof-ball.

Ajax-TFC nailed it in his post above,there is a difference between "system" and "formation" and many people have trouble seeing it.
    Of course I'm generalizing! Everybody else seems to be doing the same with their arguments!

The generalization on this forum seems to be that 4-3-3 = good football. But that's not necesarily always the case. And as you correctly point out too - 4-3-3 doesn't always mean short ball, and 4-4-2 doesn't always mean long ball.

I completely agree with you - but it seems a lot of people on here don't realise this at all.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post

Awesome. Nicknames already!
    Wouldn't the SubMariner be the fellow who is under Mariner? This would be assistant coach Jimmy Brennan.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was from East Side Stand Up, May 31, 2011! Nice call, Mr. Marhue!
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever