Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Welcome Paul Mariner as new head coach

While a lot of people are complaining about today's news - I think its worthwhile starting a new thread to welcome Mariner as TFC's new head coach. Let's get a positive thread together and welcome Paul to his new position.

I personally hope Paul has a succesful reign as TFC manager and wish him luck. I think he has the knowledge of MLS that he needs to be a success. The current squad is capable of getting results in my opinion, so I think Paul can have success if he plays his cards right and gets the squad playing with confidence in the next few games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing better than a hostile take over right?

Not holding my breath for results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he has no where to go but up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he looked good in the press conference today, he defended the work he's put in and it's clear he knows the direction to take this club now! Im optimistic

Best of luck Paul!!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point that we have Mariner and he didn't hire himself, he has experience and wants to win. He may not want to talk system but after Winter went 0-9.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's go TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I support him. He may not have the results as head coach but he's seen it all in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

meh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This team is a joke. Winter gets a couple of wins under his belt and then TFC fires him
    The coaching merry go round continues.
    I'm out from dropping another dime on this club and owners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the general consensus was that TFC's roster as currently constucted was drastically underachieving. It was also apparent that no decisions would be made regarding a permanent replacement for Winter with the pending transfer of ownership. Mariner and Rongen were the only candidates within the organization with MLS experience, and Rongen apparently preferred his role with the Academy. Therefore, in that context, Paul Mariner is a logical choice to assume the reigns at this point, and he has 2/3 of the season and the CCL to make his mark.

I think Mariner has relished this opportunity for a very long time, and hopefully, his football pedigree combined with his intricate knowledge of MLS will serve TFC well moving forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wishing Mariner Luck.

He still has Steve Nicols number right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will say this much: If it was going to happen, I'm glad it's a month prior to the summer transfer update.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    I will say this much: If it was going to happen, I'm glad it's a month prior to the summer transfer update.
    Was Mariner not the one who didn't realise that Plata had 500, 000 price tag on him at the draft? I wouldn't be too confident of Mariner's upcoming dealings in the transfer window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well he's bought and paid for now. But it does seem we've got extra wingers with Soolsma, Lambe, Plata, Johnson and Hall. One of them will be sent backing.. maybe more.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower View Post
    Was Mariner not the one who didn't realise that Plata had 500, 000 price tag on him at the draft? I wouldn't be too confident of Mariner's upcoming dealings in the transfer window.
    I cannot confirm but its been said that it was Cochrane that failed to mention the clause for whatever reason but this we do know- Mariner can acquire record number of players. And now it will be for his own standards and vision.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My advice to him would be to rent rather than buy.

I liked what he said about systems being overrated. I have argued that many times.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    My advice to him would be to rent rather than buy.

haha.. pretty good. Worth quoting.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm willing to give him a chance. Seems a lot of people already have preconceptions about the guy, and assume he's in with Anselmi, Cochrane, et al. Maybe he is, but I'm not going to judge the guy before the first ball is kicked under his watch. Winter's record speaks for itself - he wasn't the guy to get us to the promised land. Not saying Mariner is either, but let's at least give him a chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many of us were promoting a similar coaching philosophy when Winter was at the helm...

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...system-toronto

Mariner said he does not want to tip his hand about tactics to TFC's next two opponents, Sporting Kansas City and the Houston Dynamo, but he appears to be taking a more flexible approach to the system he will use.

“All it is is minor adjustments,” he said during the media conference. “It really is. It’s not a massive overhaul.”

He feels Toronto’s players are good enough to be better than the team’s 1-9-0 league record. And he feels that the players are the key whatever formation is used.

“To me, it’s whatever works,” Mariner said. “I’ve played in different systems. I’ve played with some unbelievable managers. Bobby Robson came up with a 4-3-1-2 that nobody else had ever thought about. It’s all about players, it’s all about putting players in the right position to succeed.

“That’s my basic coaching philosophy. I want to put people with the right abilities, I want to put people with the right skill set, in the right positions and that’s it," he added. "Just give them some instruction and hope that the core of players that we’ve got [Torsten Frings] and [Danny Koevermans] and so on and so forth, they can lead the team on the field for me.”

He feels that a “decent technical player” with “decent intelligence” can play most systems.

“It just annoys me that we talk about systems so much,” he added. “Because to me the players dictate the system and the players dictate whether they’re picked or not. Not me. The players dictate it with their performances.”

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to your new role, Paul. I wish you much success.

Also, many thanks to Aron for his contributions to the club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not at all happy about him being the new coach. He was complete shit in his only coaching job, and he sat in the wings to take over this job. I don't disagree that Winter had to go, but this is the choice of a management that picked winners in an internal fight, and just doesn't have the competence to do a real search for a real manager.

Having said that, we should keep our eye on the prize which is Tom Anselmi. Having debates about the coach is pointless while the team is rudderless at the top. I actually don't hate Ansemli, I think he just doesn't know enough about soccer to be guiding this ship. So I'll join in wishing Mariner luck. He's stepping into the crosshairs and that's a hard place for anyone to be. And he at least has a foundation to work from, because this isn't a bad team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I'm not at all happy about him being the new coach. He was complete shit in his only coaching job, and he sat in the wings to take over this job. I don't disagree that Winter had to go, but this is the choice of a management that picked winners in an internal fight, and just doesn't have the competence to do a real search for a real manager.

Having said that, we should keep our eye on the prize which is Tom Anselmi. Having debates about the coach is pointless while the team is rudderless at the top. I actually don't hate Ansemli, I think he just doesn't know enough about soccer to be guiding this ship. So I'll join in wishing Mariner luck. He's stepping into the crosshairs and that's a hard place for anyone to be. And he at least has a foundation to work from, because this isn't a bad team.
    We DEFINITELY can't judge Mariner by the Plymouth coaching job! Plymouth were out of money, in fact they were on the brink of closing, and have been for a while now. Mariner was essentially coaching a team of no-hoper free transfers that nobody else wanted, with both hands tied behind his back, and trying to motivate a brunch of players who weren't getting paid on a regular basis. Before he took over, the majority of Plymouth's assets (ie. players worth anything) had already moved on as Plymouth couldn't offer them a sufficient contract. Plymouth were a league above themselves and Mariner actually got them a couple of decent results before their severe lack of player class caught up with them. None of this was Mariner's fault and he probably did as well as anybody could do in those circumstances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    We DEFINITELY can't judge Mariner by the Plymouth coaching job! Plymouth were out of money, in fact they were on the brink of closing, and have been for a while now. Mariner was essentially coaching a team of no-hoper free transfers that nobody else wanted, with both hands tied behind his back, and trying to motivate a brunch of players who weren't getting paid on a regular basis. Before he took over, the majority of Plymouth's assets (ie. players worth anything) had already moved on as Plymouth couldn't offer them a sufficient contract. Plymouth were a league above themselves and Mariner actually got them a couple of decent results before their severe lack of player class caught up with them. None of this was Mariner's fault and he probably did as well as anybody could do in those circumstances.

Do you know why he was brought in there in the first place? May make you change your mind!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if Paul Mariner's thought process is something like this:

2009: fuck it can't get any worse than working for a cheap asshole like bob craft.

2010: fuck it can't get any worse than working for a club with no money

2011: fuck it can't get any worse than working for this Dutch guy

June 7th, 2012: fuck! How do I keep getting these jobs?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Do you know why he was brought in there in the first place? May make you change your mind!
    He wascoach at the club and replaced Paul Sturrock I believe.

Do you know something I don't? I don't believe there was anything more to his taking charge at Plymouth!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He wascoach at the club and replaced Paul Sturrock I believe.

Do you know something I don't? I don't believe there was anything more to his taking charge at Plymouth!
    He was brought in to be their World Cup ambassador to get a new stadium built to go along with England's 2018 World Cup bid. Then he ended up being their manager. It's a car crash.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That doesn't put me off at all! The point was that you were judging Mariner on his managerial performance at Plymouth saying that he was shit at his job. But you also have to see the big picture that Plymouth were unmanageable at that time due to their major financial problems! Yes, Plymouth put all their eggs in one basket after they redeveloped their stadium, and hoped that their world cup bid would slve their problems, but that didn't happen. Mariner eventually ended up being their manager, and failed, along with the next 3 managers. I'm sure the best manager in the world wouldn't have made Plymouth a success at that time in their horrid situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That doesn't put me off at all! The point was that you were judging Mariner on his managerial performance at Plymouth saying that he was shit at his job. But you also have to see the big picture that Plymouth were unmanageable at that time due to their major financial problems! Yes, Plymouth put all their eggs in one basket after they redeveloped their stadium, and hoped that their world cup bid would slve their problems, but that didn't happen. Mariner eventually ended up being their manager, and failed, along with the next 3 managers. I'm sure the best manager in the world wouldn't have made Plymouth a success at that time in their horrid situation.
    That's a REALLY optimistic reading of the situation. He was hired for certain skills, but coaching was not one of them. Look, I meant what I said hgher up. I really wish him well despite the fact that I'm not at all happy about his appointment. Anselmi should be the target. I give him credit for stepping in to the line of fire, because he was safer where he was. And I still truly believe this team is not as bad as the record. He could look brilliant if they keep winning.
    Last edited by Canary10; 06-07-2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: TH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a little bit more optimistic Canary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've played and watched the game for too long in this country. It's in no one's interests to see TFC fail. I really don't feel good about Mariner for a lot of reasons but Anselmi is not the right rudder for the club and Mariner isn't to blame for that. I actually think the record will improve in the next few months.