Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    I for one hopes he gets his job.

If Anselmi has been able to survive the six years of dreck that has been Toronto FC and still have a job the only way he will ever leave is if he gets promoted.

Lets all hope.
    Are you kidding?

Some of us are Leaf and Raptor fans here!
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So... are comics ever good at predicting the future?

http://www.eastsidestandup.com/may2011.php

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did something really stupid this morning. I watched the presser again.

I absolutely fucking enraged at Anselmi again!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I think people need to realize that Mariner has less coaching experience than Winter, and nowhere near the playing resume. So what did we really get?

I'm sorry, I want to give him a chance, but...
    True but we need to prioritize what's important in a CV to us, no?

Great ex player
    Coaching experience
    League experience

???
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So where does this leave the academy program? Now that we have to live with the belief that the players coming up to or even in MLS aren't good enough to play good football are they just going to pump mediocre cheap cap players that have no football sense what so ever? If your head coach has a different idea to what football should be does he even believe in what the academy is doing? We had a chance, a chance, to lay the ground work for a future of great Canadian footballers with football sense. It was going to take time.

Hiring Klinnsman was a waste of money now. They could have just asked the league for another recommendation for someone to come in run the hen house, not hired Winter, not sign Danny K and Frings, saved a shitload of cash and had the accountants happy as pigs in shit that the numbers look great.

I ask, what was the point of the last year and a half? Really just another marketing scheme to keep numbers up? For god sakes how do they expect us to continue on like this?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PureTFC View Post
    So where does this leave the academy program? Now that we have to live with the belief that the players coming up to or even in MLS aren't good enough to play good football are they just going to pump mediocre cheap cap players that have no football sense what so ever? If your head coach has a different idea to what football should be does he even believe in what the academy is doing? We had a chance, a chance, to lay the ground work for a future of great Canadian footballers with football sense. It was going to take time.

Hiring Klinnsman was a waste of money now. They could have just asked the league for another recommendation for someone to come in run the hen house, not hired Winter, not sign Danny K and Frings, saved a shitload of cash and had the accountants happy as pigs in shit that the numbers look great.

I ask, what was the point of the last year and a half? Really just another marketing scheme to keep numbers up? For god sakes how do they expect us to continue on like this?

Rongen is still in place. Those kids can play a system long term that the senior squad isn't employing. This happens all over the world. We're just experiencing it for the first time.

It would have been sweet to have a perfect uniform transition for these kids to go to the top squad but we shouldn't expect all the kids to move there anyway.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to be positive but can't, this blows. Mariner has been here for 18 months, is he not part of the problem. Hard not to wonder how much help he was to Winter when he's wanted his job for 18 months. Dislike how quick he was to defend Tom A. how much character can an ass kisser really have. Opportunistic timing by to say the least. What a cowardly piss poor organization. Tired off this bullshit, for the first time I am thinking of dropping my seats but my problem is I love having my own club to follow, I love the game day experience, I love the game day ritual of getting decked out in red and cheering and singing in the stand, I love that I can afford take my dad to games as a way of thanking him for all the years working away in a factory but I am so tired of this bush league leadership group. I'm tired of Tom A. pissing in a cup and telling me it's lemonaid. I'm stumped how does one go about supporting a club and players without lining the pockets of these buffoons....

How did it all go so wrong...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched the presser again, and it seemed clear that the long term vision of the club has not changed. I suspect that the retention of Rongen and DeKlerk will be key in continuing the implementation of the 4-3-3 philosophy throughout the ranks of the Academy.

The appointment of Mariner is intended to create flexibility within the club's strategic mindset and garner positive results for the first team in the short term, nothing more. The first team wasn't ready to adhere to Winter's rigid tactical approach, and the results in league play over the last 44 games reinforce that perception.

All this talk of abandoning the club philosophy and reverting to route one football is pure nonsense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I watched the presser again, and it seemed clear that the long term vision of the club has not changed. I suspect that the retention of Rongen and DeKlerk will be key in continuing the implementation of the 4-3-3 philosophy throughout the ranks of the Academy.

The appointment of Mariner is intended to create flexibility within the club's strategic mindset and garner positive results for the first team in the short term, nothing more. The first team wasn't ready to adhere to Winter's rigid tactical approach, and the results in league play over the last 44 games reinforce that perception.

All this talk of abandoning the club philosophy and reverting to route one football is pure nonsense.
    So short term shit for long term gain? I just see it as they don't really have faith in it at all. If they truly continue on with the technical foundation they've tried to start remains to be seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been reading the forum for quite some time, but never felt compelled to enter the discussion until this recent development as it just leaves me wondering how such incompetence can be allowed to persist for 6 years.
    A couple of observations from a number of posts:
    1. several people are very casual about the fact that it doesn't matter if Anselmi leaves MLSE if he ends up moving up the chain without direct responsibility for TFC. The reasoning put forward has been that it would allow someone with football knowledge to come in his place. Has there not been enough evidence over 6 years to indicate that Anselmi works on a 'inner circle' basis? Which means that the most likely scenario is he would just replace himself with someone he knows who is already in the organization - i.e. Earl Cochrane. Is that acceptable after everything we've witnessed?
    2. as to the timing of the announcement, nobody has brought up the fact that Anselmi may have waited until the Centenary match was done to avoid him and Klinsmann having to point fingers at each other about who messed up.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ As mentioned earlier -- I think Winter was canned now, shortly before Euro 2012 & Canada WCQ started, in hopes that people would forget how pissed they are & get over it by the time TFC starts playing again.

Good point that if Anselmi were to be moved away from TFC now, the brain trust would likely put some internal straw man in place -- bad idea. Perhaps Bellogers will be able to do more, if/when they take over.

If Anselmi were to stay anywhere within MLSE, he should be in charge of only arena & real estate development & management. That's his background. He probably has a clue in that area.

The other thing I was wondering about -- at the CSA presser before the Centenary match, when Klinsmann was interviewed, a few journos said he didn't want to talk about TFC then, but would talk about it after the Centenary match, i.e., on Sunday. But it never happened. Perhaps in the meantime MLSE reminded Klinsmann of confidentiality agreements/hush money that was in place?
    Last edited by Auzzy; 06-08-2012 at 04:24 PM.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PureTFC View Post
    So short term shit for long term gain? I just see it as they don't really have faith in it at all. If they truly continue on with the technical foundation they've tried to start remains to be seen.
    If people are going to continue using this phrase ad nuseum, can someone please tell me what constitutes short-term and what constitutes long-term?
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    If people are going to continue using this phrase ad nuseum, can someone please tell me what constitutes short-term and what constitutes long-term?
    I would also like to know how you can turn shit into gold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    ^^ You know, a couple of weeks ago I also would have defended some of Mariner's signings (except at CB). The MLS salary list kind of dampened my enthusiasm. But the bigger thing is, after more upheaval i.e. firing Winter, I'm massively underwhelmed that we get Mariner as head coach, and no change above him.

I wish Mariner well, he seems to be another decent guy. Who knows, maybe he can pragmatically turn things around and I'll hop on the bandwagon. However, after all this crap, we really need a top-notch guy we can trust. That's so the fans & players don't start going berserk after 2 or 3 losses, because the guy's experience & proven record gives us confidence that he can turn it around. Mariner does not give us that confidence. Maybe he can earn it though. We shall see.
    I see your point and think that at this point in time you are absolutely correct.

But if he gets more out of these players by playing them in positions that suit them the best like he claims he will then he'll obviously have effectively turned the tables on your equation and they will be worth the money. That's his out, so we wait and see. And if its doesn't pan out then hopefully by then we will have new upper management who will be more able to make better decisions and be able to assess the people under them and the soccer decisions they are making more clearly. God knows that is clearly not happening and hasn't been for the last six years.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reporter asks Chinese Premier Zhou Enlai in 1968: What was the significance of the French Revolution of 1789?
    Zhou: It is too soon to say.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    I would also like to know how you can turn shit into gold.

Wimbledon comes to mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The club is clearly in shambles, and its easy to point fingers but this is MLS and teams jump from the top to the bottom of the table year to year. What I find alarming is the worry about short term gains. As in right now this year. We are not making the playoffs. Short term matters only to fill seats...short term. I think thats what we all should be upset about, about MLSE wanting to win now to get fans in the seats, now. If we put in some shanty system to get points, we could do well, but then again in a year drop to the bottom of the table. We cannot think short term! Look at Phily, there unreal team of last year is forgotten.

We don't need a solid management team. We need a team core. Look at the best organizations in the world. They have a core of guys who stick together for long periods of time and sure you have players always coming and going, but they by into the chemistry and team that is already present. When you look at our team there is no core. A few DPs that are here just for the money, one of which probably only came because our Ex manager was a buddy of his.. (Awkward) and a bunch of average guys who havnt solidified themselves within the team. The team needs an identity, and the only identity it has had was one cast over them by management - to play dutch football. We need to bring in a Sapong or someone with some spunk. Some character. Im sorry but Dunfield just doesn't cut it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TearsForCheers View Post
    I have been reading the forum for quite some time, but never felt compelled to enter the discussion until this recent development as it just leaves me wondering how such incompetence can be allowed to persist for 6 years.
    A couple of observations from a number of posts:
    1. several people are very casual about the fact that it doesn't matter if Anselmi leaves MLSE if he ends up moving up the chain without direct responsibility for TFC. The reasoning put forward has been that it would allow someone with football knowledge to come in his place. Has there not been enough evidence over 6 years to indicate that Anselmi works on a 'inner circle' basis? Which means that the most likely scenario is he would just replace himself with someone he knows who is already in the organization - i.e. Earl Cochrane. Is that acceptable after everything we've witnessed?
    2. as to the timing of the announcement, nobody has brought up the fact that Anselmi may have waited until the Centenary match was done to avoid him and Klinsmann having to point fingers at each other about who messed up.
    Welcome to the board.

It's clear that after 6 years Anselmi is useless at putting the right people in place to make the organization better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Welcome to the board.

It's clear that after 6 years Anselmi is useless at putting the right people in place to make the organization better.
    mlse is useless at putting the right people in place they do this with all there shity team's

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I was always under the impression:

Short Term - Get wins now at all costs and in 1-2 years have to rebuild the team (similar to how the Leafs were run through the 90's).

Long Term - Get a system in place where the team is consistently successful and every two years 2-3 players max in the starting roster may need to be replaced. Bring in young blood through the academy and mid-aged players on the verge of peeking/ DP's are bought/traded for/signed.

Problem is no one knows how long the long term plan should be.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ The monkey wrench in any talk about long-term plans is when a person realizes that this is MLS, and dozens of clubs over the years have been able to build or rebuild in less than one season, let alone two or three.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ The monkey wrench in any talk about long-term plans is when a person realizes that this is MLS, and dozens of clubs over the years have been able to build or rebuild in less than one season, let alone two or three.
    And also MLS keeps changing the rules. Maybe in 3 years teams will be allowed 6 DPs, or maybe none. Maybe they'll have to have more American players or maybe fewer, so how can anyone make a long term plan?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I just like that he said he was a "hands off" manager.

First, I don't buy it. He sets budget, hires (or at least delegates the hiring), promotes the culture, supposedly establishes performance benchmarks, has the final say on player acquisitions even if he chooses not to use it, etc.

Clearly, BS

Secondly, if I did buy it... isn't it a fair question to ask if maybe its time we had both a "hands on" leader and more importantly a different set of hands?

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The first team wasn't ready to adhere to Winter's rigid tactical approach, and the results in league play over the last 44 games reinforce that perception.
    Right... but it was supposed to be a rebuild, a work in progress. I expected it to take at least three years - honest. It`s what should`ve been done straight out of the gate, but we just pissed away the first 4 years.

So we start again. With an elaborate plan. But don`t see it through.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I just like that he said he was a "hands off" manager.

First, I don't buy it. He sets budget, hires (or at least delegates the hiring), promotes the culture, supposedly establishes performance benchmarks, has the final say on player acquisitions even if he chooses not to use it, etc.

Clearly, BS

Secondly, if I did buy it... isn't it a fair question to ask if maybe its time we had both a "hands on" leader and more importantly a different set of hands?
    You're right, I think, a 'hands on' leader would be better. A 'hands off' manager can be worse if the people he hires have little experience. That's what we saw for years at TFC, guys out of their depth trying to hang onto their jobs and Anselmi isolated because he was 'hands off.' it does seem like the team needs someone to take responsibility at a higher level. Was it Jason Devos who tweeted recently that nomcoach of TFC ever had support from upper management? So now they're calling that 'hands off' and trying to spin it as a positive.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No It's not.Long term is questionable now.

You CAN'T teach 8-18 years old kid to play 4-3-3 and have your 1st team playing 4-4-2,doesn't make sense,positions are different,responsibilities at the position are different it's plain stupid.

In February at TFC academy parents meeting I asked Mariner and Rongen what will happen with academy once Winter is gone and they decide to hire 4-4-2 coach.

Mariner was the one who answered the question and now I can tell he LIED to 100 plus parents and kids.Mariner said that TFC will stick with 4-3-3 philosophy and ONLY coaches that can and will play 4-3-3 will be hired by TFC,so that kids that are coming out of academy can jump into 1st team without any problems and adjustments.

I can see Mariner already made his 1st players acquisition as Head coach,Marosevic is back and training with TFC Academy.

Great move don't you think,get Marosevic back and let him practice with academy,but don't let Vukovic who is younger and more promising player than Marosevis to stay with TFCA,release him so that Montreal can have him.

We are back to square 1,ML$E is trying to gain in short term in order to get more ST Renewals and definitely abandoned the long term and stability that they promised to us.

Mariner is ML$E ass kisser and liar,but I still hope he will do good because of TFC,but I now for the first time in 6-7 years are questioning myself should I renew my ST.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, this place is comedy gold. no wonder FO doesn't listen to supporter groups.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mariner better get this right. No coach worth his salt is going to want to come to a place with a reputation of firing their coach every season.

Hey John, want to coach football in MLS? Oh, btw, it's not new York or Chicago, it's Toronto. Oh and they've never made the playoffs. Oh and they have had 7 coaches in 6 seasons.

Where do I sign!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post

You CAN'T teach 8-18 years old kid to play 4-3-3 and have your 1st team playing 4-4-2,doesn't make sense,positions are different,responsibilities at the position are different it's plain stupid.
    I disagree. You can do anything you want with the academy, it doesn't need to be connected at all to the first team. For reasons often discussed, this is North America not Europe, and the number of good players that will be produced by the Academy for the first team is a serious open question. My bet is, not many.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I disagree. You can do anything you want with the academy, it doesn't need to be connected at all to the first team. For reasons often discussed, this is North America not Europe, and the number of good players that will be produced by the Academy for the first team is a serious open question. My bet is, not many.
    Yes, this has been something left pretty much unsaid. Do people think that soccer will somehow have different rules in North America than baseball, basketball, football and hockey when it comes to teams signing kids? If MLS is going to be a mainstream success in North America, it will have to do some things the North American way, find a compromise.