Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Vukovic scores winner against Academy

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/new...fc-academy-1-0

What about this kid does Montreal see that we didn't. In the one pre-season game we saw him in, he played target forward quite well, I thought, and it's like the Cris Carter thing, "all he does is score goals."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/new...fc-academy-1-0

What about this kid does Montreal see that we didn't. In the one pre-season game we saw him in, he played target forward quite well, I thought, and it's like the Cris Carter thing, "all he does is score goals."
    Meh, I'd rather TFC make room for a player like Jordan Hamilton (with major potenial who can be an all-star in MLS one day).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I know that was kind of the 'unofficial' word on the street, but is that really true?

Does having Vukovic on the team really jeopardize Hamilton's development? Last I understood one was a wide player and the other a target striker... sounds like they can co-exist to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

speaking of the TFC Academy.

Friday will be Toronto's only game at Lamport Stadium this season, so let's make this an epic night and have some fun.

TICKETS ARE $10.

June 8th
    12:00 pm - Poland vs Greece (euro)
    2:00 pm - Cuba vs Canada (World Cup Qualifier)
    2:45 pm - Russia vs Czech Republic (euro)
    8:00 pm - SC Toronto vs TFC Academy

more info is here: http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showth...Academy/page23
    and here https://www.facebook.com/events/232839513487301/

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavydMT View Post
    speaking of the TFC Academy.

Friday will be Toronto's only game at Lamport Stadium this season, so let's make this an epic night and have some fun.

TICKETS ARE $10.

June 8th
    12:00 pm - Poland vs Greece (euro)
    2:00 pm - Cuba vs Canada (World Cup Qualifier)
    2:45 pm - Russia vs Czech Republic (euro)
    8:00 pm - SC Toronto vs TFC Academy

more info is here: http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showth...Academy/page23
    and here https://www.facebook.com/events/232839513487301/
    Worth Quoting and enlarging.

So at noon, regardless if you're watching TSN in Roncesvalles or on the Danforth you can take in the Canada game on Sportsnet at the Duke Gloucester, back to TSN for match 2 of the Euro and STILL get to the Accies match!!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still think it was a very stupid move to let him go, especially since we are lacking numbers for strikers. The kid scores for the academy, reserves, and Canadian youth teams, and yet we let him go? Montreal i think will eventually give him a contract and i think he will do very good in the mls. As for Hamilton, he's about 3-4 years younger than Vukovic, he still has a lot of time to develop in the youth team, so i don't understand how keeping Vukovic would hurt Hamilton's progress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is he better than Makabuya?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing with Buya is that he can also play out on the wings, but it was always a signing that i didn't get. Watching him in the academy, there was a season where he played a lot as a main striker, and he only had 1 goal that season... Think Vuk will turn out to be a better player in the future.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure the issue with Vukovic was that he reached 18 and at that point had to either be graduated to the first team or cut. They felt he wouldn't fit into the first team well so they had no other option and let him go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark83 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the issue with Vukovic was that he reached 18 and at that point had to either be graduated to the first team or cut. They felt he wouldn't fit into the first team well so they had no other option and let him go.
    Sign him, loan him to the CSL. Problem solved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCtoMUFC View Post
    Sign him, loan him to the CSL. Problem solved.
    To what end?

They rated both Hamilton and someone else (Rongen said 2 younger guys with higher potential behind Vukovic) higher than Vukovic, and he was at the age that either gets promoted to senior club, or cut. With respect to the senior club, for the next 2 years at least, Vukovic would have been on the depth chart behind both Koevermans and Johnson for main striker, and he can't play on the wings as far as I can tell, so he wouldn't get any time with the big club.

2 years down the road you have Hamilton and the "someone else", with any other possible striker options that have been signed, as competition for Vukovic. The question then becomes, is Vukovic going to be a starting striker at that point clearly over and above any other options around. TFC seems to think not. The fact that he can only play up top doesn't help him, and the fact that he (apparently) doesn't do well holding up the ball with his back to goal doesn't help him either.

We are going to have more of these situations down the road, and it's something that we will just have to get used to. Sometimes TFC will get it right, other times, they won't. In this case, I think Vukovic will catch on with another team at some point, but won't have been a better option than what we already have over the next 2-3 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    ^ I know that was kind of the 'unofficial' word on the street, but is that really true?

Does having Vukovic on the team really jeopardize Hamilton's development? Last I understood one was a wide player and the other a target striker... sounds like they can co-exist to me.
    They both play the same position or at least they have every time I've seen them play, the lone striker role. And Hamilton is 15 or 16 where Vukovic is 19. If read the interview Rongen with did with Sportnet after Vukovic was released he claimed there were two younger players they want to give the opportunity to. He also state that they only wanted the senior academy to be a u18 teams but they seem to have backed off that a bit in another interview he did with RNO recently. Only time will tell if Toronto made the correct decision.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/...tefan_vukovic/

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Inside...masRongen.aspx

And I've never seen Makabuya play anywhere but on the wing in the past two years in the MLS, MLS Reserves and CLS. I don't kinow why people always refer to him as a striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, anyone know who played for TFCA in this match? I really wish Toronto would do a match report for each senior academy match.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC need to U21 and U23 teams,same as Montreal,Portland,Chicago and so many other MLS clubs.Those teams are playing in PDL,not every kid is ready to play in MLS at the age of 19,give him a year or two,the kid might be a late bloomer and with 21/22 be a starter in MLS.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    They both play the same position or at least they have every time I've seen them play, the lone striker role. And Hamilton is 15 or 16 where Vukovic is 19. If read the interview Rongen with did with Sportnet after Vukovic was released he claimed there were two younger players they want to give the opportunity to. He also state that they only wanted the senior academy to be a u18 teams but they seem to have backed off that a bit in another interview he did with RNO recently. Only time will tell if Toronto made the correct decision.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/...tefan_vukovic/

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Inside...masRongen.aspx

And I've never seen Makabuya play anywhere but on the wing in the past two years in the MLS, MLS Reserves and CLS. I don't kinow why people always refer to him as a striker.
    I brought up Makabuya only because he's the depth forward that's not getting any minutes with the first team. I haven't seen any reserve games and have mostly blocked from my mind that opening loss to Vancouver last season. I'm told he can play as target or outwide.. but once again, I'm just going by what I heard. I figure with him on the bench, where would Vokovic fit in?

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    TFC need to U21 and U23 teams,same as Montreal,Portland,Chicago and so many other MLS clubs.Those teams are playing in PDL,not every kid is ready to play in MLS at the age of 19,give him a year or two,the kid might be a late bloomer and with 21/22 be a starter in MLS.
    People definitely don't seem to realize that the U18 cut-off point on the academy is self-imposed. They should maybe buy the Lynx so they have the PDL rights to the GTA in addition to having the CSL team and use that for U21 players.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSO_BBTB View Post
    People definitely don't seem to realize that the U18 cut-off point on the academy is self-imposed. They should maybe buy the Lynx so they have the PDL rights to the GTA in addition to having the CSL team and use that for U21 players.
    Thanks for clarification about PDL rights.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    I'm not sure how much a team at that age group would be that much different than kids coming out of college. Generally, I believe the college route does a poor job of preparing kids for professional life (at least in soccer). Only a percentage of kids drafted amount to anything. I'd expect a far higher number given the number of spots on a team and the relative turnover of the teams. And I'd expect teams from outside of North America to be seeking college kids as well (surely there must be one or two that are better than the rest) but even then, it seems to take a couple of years of "seasoning" before they can readily move to Europe (see Maurice Adu as evidence). Very few players can move from college into a starting role in MLS, and I'd expect no mare than an equal number to move from a 21/22 development league into MLS.

I do also believe that MLS needs a better "reserve team" structure though, perhaps having the reserve teams play in a regional league.

Personally, I'd argue that MLS academies have to start younger and get players while they are developing. By immersing younger kids into the academy structure and better coaching the more likely it is that there will be better "returns" from those kids.

As far as Vukovic goes, I think that it was a decision of more than just one person - usually the coaches and team management (not office management) make the decisions like this jointly. I'm okay with the decision to release him. If he had the skills, I would suspect he'd already be on the 30 man roster like many other academy "grads" before him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The academy's record last year was dismal. Most likely it was because of the new system but I'm sure there were some where some of the pieces weren't fitting. So even if Vukovic was scoring goals, it's possible that his shortcomings hampered the team which may have resulted in the team losing possession. Obviously there is more to it than that but he's probably better in a 4-4-2 system where he can play off of someone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with Mariner in charge now, could there be a possible return for this kid?
    he's continuing to contribute goals and assists for the l'impact in the CSL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    with Mariner in charge now, could there be a possible return for this kid?
    he's continuing to contribute goals and assists for the l'impact in the CSL
    i think mariner was in agreement that he had to go...to be honest, i don't think the next few years of kids are at all highly rated by mariner and rongen as much as we'd like to think they are especially with the likes of those that keep appearing in reserve games (Tyler Pasher, Jordan Hamilton etc...); I'd think an omari morris would also be highly thought of since he's going to akron next year and akron only get the best players.

Denime said it best in another thread...reason why rongen is the head coach of u12/u13 teams is so they can train them right at a younger age and hopefully develop even better academy products; which is why he isn't in charge of any of the higher up teams.
    Last edited by prizby; 06-12-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    i think mariner was in agreement that he had to go...to be honest, i don't think the next few years of kids are at all highly rated by mariner and rongen as much as we'd like to think they are especially with the likes of those that keep appearing in reserve games (Tyler Pasher, Jordan Hamilton etc...); I
    I'd like to be able to watch him play more as he looked pretty solid agains the DC reserves. But it's so hard to judge from one match. I do think it is a good sign that he keeps getting to start for the reserves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    I'd like to be able to watch him play more as he looked pretty solid agains the DC reserves. But it's so hard to judge from one match. I do think it is a good sign that he keeps getting to start for the reserves.
    also has do with the lack of depth at LB right now

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I've seen of Vukavic, he's a Darren Bent or Gary Linaker type player - does nothing all game and then scores a goal or 2 out of nothing. Those players are worth millions and are very rare. So, I think its very shortsighted of TFC to let him go for nothing. I can only see him coming back to haunt us one day and score a couple of goals against us.