Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Come on out and cheer against TFC! YAY!

So here's a new low point.

Looks like the marketing dept at TFC has been courting Rangers supporters clubs in and around Toronto. They're offering up group seats behind the Portland Timbers bench and encouraging them to wear Rangers gear - presumably because of former Rangers striker Kris Boyd.

Put another way, the club is now actively approaching people to come and cheer for TFC opponents.

If there was ever a thought that this was a "club" and not just a money making machine, it's all been squashed in my eyes. What a disgrace.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hahaha....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL What do you mean sports teams just don't print money??

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    LOL What do you mean sports teams just don't print money??
    Nothing wrong with making money. But when you start actively trying to sell to anyone - including people who want to cheer against you?
    That's fucked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow....

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if other teams do this for TFC?

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They've arguably done this before for Beckham, etc.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is sad they are being obvious about it but it really isn't that far from how they approach fans of visiting foreign teams. I'm no less insulted.

I know people in said Rangers Supporters Group that have seasons for Toronto. They don't need to be told an old player is coming to town.

This in no way excuses the marketing of it. Just pointing out how far off the mark they are.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm anxious to see Kris Boyd as well being a Rangers fan...kinda screwed up marketing though on TFC's part. You gotta wonder how far it can go. The latest pic with all the blonde girls going crazy on the TFC website makes me laugh. Yeah like they were really at the game going nuts. If you look to the right of the pic you can see all the empty seats too beside the "fans".

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

HEY ! TFC SUPPORTER !

Now's your chance to cheer on former TFC players at BMO Field !

Pick up an extra ticket or two for your friends to come down and cheer on former TFC Player of the Year Dwayne DeRosario as he plays for his latest club DC United.

DC are in town this weekend to play in their latest MLS match - so come on down - tickets are limited.

Cheer on former TFC Alumni whenever they're in town... there's lots of them.. it seems each week there's at least one

Pick up a mini-pack to cheer on Chad Barrett, Sam Cronin, Connor Casey (Yes he did !), as they play against MLS opposition at BMO.

LET'S GO FORMER TFC PLAYERS !

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

"Oh, yeah, cheering for DeRo is cool now that he's with another club and stuff... but I used to cheer for him while he was here, because I knew he'd leave and return to play here again one day as a former TFC player"... (against MLS opposition, like).

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    Pick up an extra ticket or two for your friends to come down and cheer on former TFC Player of the Year Dwayne DeRosario as he plays for his latest club DC United.
    Why are you looking in my direction when you say this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This has ABC written all over it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i guess selling tickets to see beckham isn't ok as well...where was the complaint thread the previous 5 years???

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Why are you looking in my direction when you say this?
    Comedy Gold

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    i guess selling tickets to see beckham isn't ok as well...where was the complaint thread the previous 5 years???
    The thing about pimping Beckham versus Boyd is one is a global brand sure to attract fans (of some description), while Kris Boyd used to play for a team with a local chapter of an international supporters club.

Promoting one is traying to take advantage of an event. Folks from all over will want to see Beckham and ask him to tell us how great Toronto is, but seliing "a chance to see a player who used to play for another team you support" is a desperate move by any measure.

Kris Boyd, who's club fell to Cal FC in the US Open Cup... if anything there's a chance to get on him for that.

Kris Boyd is in town... how glorious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pathetic as well as embarassing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fire TFC marketing department!!!

But, MLSE does the same with Raptors. Promoting other teams star players or sometimes player because of their race (Asia day when Raptors play against Lin).

How in the world is MLSE/TFC marketing department surviving all these years? Don't they know they're insulting Toronto sports fanbase when they do this?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am somewhat on the fence on this. I have never begrudged MLSE making money as long as they take care of the team side of things (which they haven't.)

In this particular case, it makes sense to capitalize on the Ranger element of the game. And they should have reached out to Ranger fans. I just think they could have done a better job that doesn't make them look like such whores. Maybe hiring an arms-length 3rd party to manage promoting the game through the Ranger supporters clubs.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    So here's a new low point.

Looks like the marketing dept at TFC has been courting Rangers supporters clubs in and around Toronto. They're offering up group seats behind the Portland Timbers bench and encouraging them to wear Rangers gear - presumably because of former Rangers striker Kris Boyd.

Put another way, the club is now actively approaching people to come and cheer for TFC opponents.

If there was ever a thought that this was a "club" and not just a money making machine, it's all been squashed in my eyes. What a disgrace.
    Have you got a link or anything to make this even more facepalm worthy?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The funny thing is, I know of people on these boards who think Kris Boyd is a god, and will indeed be sitting in the away section for that match, wearing a Scotland jersey

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I can agree with on the OP is that it is poor form for a team to promoting cheering against their own club.

No self-respecting club would do that. Can you imagine an EPL or Liga team doing that?

It points to a lack of understanding on the part of the FO with regards to football culture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    The funny thing is, I know of people on these boards who think Kris Boyd is a god, and will indeed be sitting in the away section for that match, wearing a Scotland jersey
    And that's fine if that is their preference. The hardcore Rangers supporters would likely be at BMO Field regardless for the Timbers match to catch a rare glimpse of a club legend in person.

It's the blatant, desperate, pathetic nature of this MLSE marketing ploy that has left a bitter taste in the mouths of some supporters, and I completely agree with that sentiment.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This almost a year one thing. Most expansion teams usually resort to something like that in their first year when everyone and their mother knows the team isn't good. So teams market it as "see team x as they take on player x, y, z and team a".

Goes to show what the FO thinks about a) the team and b) the supporters.

I'm with Roogsy, there could be a more subtle way of doing it via a 3rd party.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like a Raptor game to be honest, come see the other teams star not ours!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Fire TFC marketing department!!!

But, MLSE does the same with Raptors. Promoting other teams star players or sometimes player because of their race (Asia day when Raptors play against Lin).

How in the world is MLSE/TFC marketing department surviving all these years? Don't they know they're insulting Toronto sports fanbase when they do this?
    I hate to say it but T.O fans are sheeps. Obviously not everyone, but lets just look at the Leafs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More importantly, it kind of goes against the idea of brand marketing... Instead of growing the brand, they are capitalizing on another brand (one more global, mind you) in order to gain short term revenue... What good does that do anybody?

Band-Aid solutions... Make a good team that people can buy into, and have some people in place who understand football culture and marketing. Don't water it down with this... it's embarassing

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    I'm with Roogsy, there could be a more subtle way of doing it via a 3rd party.
    Funniest part of all this, is that MLSE has a partner that can be the face of all this while the TFC FO still does all the legwork and allows them to save face.

It's the Canadian arm of MLS. It's the legal entity that pays the players playing in Canada since the US parent company "owns" the contracts. Use that entity as the face to promote the games in Canada as a "neutral" promoter and BAM! you have game promotions without appearing like the team is cheering against themselves.

Problem-solving, it's what I do.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Do we have any specific examples of what they have sent? canadian_bhoy, how did you learn about this?

FO could spin it that they are simply selling group seats and Rangers groups have contacted them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Funniest part of all this, is that MLSE has a partner that can be the face of all this while the TFC FO still does all the legwork and allows them to save face.

It's the Canadian arm of MLS. It's the legal entity that pays the players playing in Canada since the US parent company "owns" the contracts. Use that entity as the face to promote the games in Canada as a "neutral" promoter and BAM! you have game promotions without appearing like the team is cheering against themselves.

Problem-solving, it's what I do.
    Get a third party to do your pandering for you.
    like...
    last night having MLSE selling USA kits in the TFC team gear store. I am still shocked.