Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    this sounds great except you're under the perception that athletes are intelligent down to earth individuals....not many are like Dichio,.(just a compliment)...most prefer the glamour, good or bad...and many are spoiled immature jocks.....not exactly your patient home with the kids type...and I say unfortunately.. and that was an old survey based on partying basically in clubs pre and after the game with plenty of woman for the picking, not exactly a city environment.......ever seen a athlete on the TTC? I love Toronto but for lack of vision look at our waterfront.....I think this is for another day though

The "Red Rocket" Matt Boner was on the subway to work every game day! But yeah, other then that, never.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    re: High taxes in Canada

Maybe some of the accountants can weigh in here but if a player maintains a principal residence out of Province/Country, do they not pay income tax in that jurisdiction? (makes our tax laws somewhat irrelevant)
    It does come down to residence. Considering all MLS players are employees by a US entity there can be plenty of ways to avoid the full impact of Canadian tax. Based on my understanding (I am by no means a tax professional) you would simply divide the number of games played in Can vs those in the US. You would then be taxed on the income earned in Can differently from that in the US.

Secondly, if there were any sponsorship deals it is advantageous for an athlete to set up a corporation and earn income through there.

The important number is 183 days. If you live in Canada for more than 183 days a year you are considered a Canadian resident in the CRAs eyes and taxed at the full Canadian rate on all your worldwide income.

I have a buddy who's a player agent for a couple NBA guys and he said that the raptors actually put together a pretty good package with tax lawyers and accountants that helps players minimize the tax impact of playing in Canada. Secondly, players like to play in Toronto cause the girls here are ridiculously slutty after the games. More so then other cities. That's our global rep at least in the bball circles.
    Last edited by KGH; 06-03-2012 at 12:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I 100% agree with you that Toronto FC, in particular, can go out and get the players it needs to win. Mostly because I don't think you need ADP (or Thierry Henry, or David Beckham, or Rafa Marquez) to win in this league. It has been proven over and over. None of what I said excuses Toronto FC from their abject mediocrity.

In leagues like the NBA and MLB, though, I do think we are at a bit of a tangible disadvantage with name-brand players. Not in 100% of cases, but the vast majority. I don't think the exceptions disprove the general rule.

- Scott
    Yep agreed, and I can't complain about Frings and Koevermans at the DP spots. As you said, the big names mentioned above are entirely unnecessary.

I wonder if Drogba is thinking of MLS, I think he'd be rather scary playing over here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Frings and Koevermans were great signings, though both have been put in a bad position to have success here so far (no matter whose fault you think it is, it's hard to argue with the record).

I think Drogba would be really well suited to MLS, but if I were him, I'd want to go out on top. Have there been any rumblings about him coming here?

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Honestly - if MLSE were trying to live up players like that for us, I bet the league would do the same. I have a feeling it's more about bending over backwards for marquee names than it is bending over backwards for LA and NY.

It's just that those teams are the ones attracting and pursuing those players.
    Let's face it guys, Toronto is not a 'World Class' city on the International Football Stage, we get whom we get, some may argue that TFC front office are not pursuing marquee players, but a fact is a fact, L.A. and New York are more attractive cities for the big name players, and if there are backroom deals, what can we do about it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Let's face it guys, Toronto is not a 'World Class' city on the International Football Stage, we get whom we get, some may argue that TFC front office are not pursuing marquee players, but a fact is a fact, L.A. and New York are more attractive cities for the big name players, and if there are backroom deals, what can we do about it?
    And MLS is not a 'World Class' league on the International Football Stage either. Designated Players aren't coming to North America for the quality of life. Most have enough money to live and play anywhere in the world. Money talks. I would argue that Frings is not a "get who we get" signing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the problem has more to do with the net worth, lifestyle and security considerations of modern players of this caliber.

In the 80s the Blizzard signed someone just like ADP - a lifelong stud scorer for Juve - Roberto Bettega. Bobbygol. He came over for a year or two, made some money, had a few laughs. I vividly remember him being part of the Johnny Lombardi CHIN radio Christmas telecasts, and stuff like that. It probably mattered to him that Toronto was a really nice city for Italians, he could speak Italian and get a good pasta.

Compare that to Del Piero, who probably has a personal net worth of $50 million or something. You think he gives a rat's ass about the Italian community where he plays? He'll get satellite television with RAI, he'll fly his friends and family in and, in the modern world, there's good Italian restaurants everywhere. He wants to be with other people worth $50 million, and by the way he wants to maximize the brand/merchandise career. Nobody like him will ever come to Toronto again, unless there is some compelling non-football reason.

We need to find guys who are married to women with relatives in Toronto.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Makes you wonder though who is actually lobbying for some owners to spend more than others. As you highlight, the league is the ultimate owner and revenue is shared. If the league (owner) has popular winning franchises in its largest markets, they stand to benefit do they not in terms of TV audience, ticket sales, etc? Just coincidence that the big names like Henry, Keane, Marquez, all landed in the 2 largest markets?

When you factor in that SUM is involved with Barcelona and MLS and Barcelona had a $0 transfer fee for the NYRBs... it was $5M for any team but NY... it sure sounds like a wonderfully convenient coincidence.
    It was $5m for any team outside MLS. The league is a single entity. Henry wanted to play in NY.

Frankly all this conspiracy theory/LA and NY get favourable treatment whining is rather distasteful. With our payroll and if we had a manager and GM like Seattle's or RSL's we'd be one of the top teams year after year. If the league is bending the rules for LA/NY since the intro of DP's they are doing a terrible job.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think the problem has more to do with the net worth, lifestyle and security considerations of modern players of this caliber.

In the 80s the Blizzard signed someone just like ADP - a lifelong stud scorer for Juve - Roberto Bettega. Bobbygol. He came over for a year or two, made some money, had a few laughs. I vividly remember him being part of the Johnny Lombardi CHIN radio Christmas telecasts, and stuff like that. It probably mattered to him that Toronto was a really nice city for Italians, he could speak Italian and get a good pasta.

Compare that to Del Piero, who probably has a personal net worth of $50 million or something. You think he gives a rat's ass about the Italian community where he plays? He'll get satellite television with RAI, he'll fly his friends and family in and, in the modern world, there's good Italian restaurants everywhere. He wants to be with other people worth $50 million, and by the way he wants to maximize the brand/merchandise career. Nobody like him will ever come to Toronto again, unless there is some compelling non-football reason.

We need to find guys who are married to women with relatives in Toronto.
    Yeah ensco, this is part of what I was originally getting at. Toronto being a world class city, or a really nice city, doesn't enter into the equation. These kinds of guys want to be in the cultural centres of the universe (and all of the benefits they bring - some of which you mentioned), and around people who enjoy the same standard of living they do.

It isn't a knock on Toronto. It's just one of the realities we have to contend with, being a major city in a country of 30 million people. We don't have the kind of pervasive cultural influence globally that places like Hollywood and New York have.

And beyond that, Toronto FC still have the ability to get the players they need to have success. If having access to players of Torsten Frings' footy calibre isnt' enough, it's time to look inward for the real problems.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Couchy81 View Post
    And MLS is not a 'World Class' league on the International Football Stage either. Designated Players aren't coming to North America for the quality of life. Most have enough money to live and play anywhere in the world. Money talks. I would argue that Frings is not a "get who we get" signing.
    Totally agreee and by all means both Frings and Koevermans are quality players for TFC, but I honestly think there is extra considerations for the likes of L.A. and New York by the MLS hierachy. In layman's terms, back room dealings.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im sorry, some people are talking about the MLS rules being a joke in this thread and i really didn't know where else to post this so i'm going to do it here: WHY THE FUCK IS WITH THE NAME OF THE MLS WEBSITE!?

it's mlssoccer.com

but MLS is an acronym. so MLSsoccer actually stands for majorleaguesoccersoccer.com

fuck.
    /rant.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I think Drogba would be really well suited to MLS, but if I were him, I'd want to go out on top. Have there been any rumblings about him coming here?
    I saw a recent interview with him and he said he could have still played for Chelsea but he wanted to leave on a high note after the Champions League. He has interest from Real Madrid as a next stop possibly so I seriously doubt he would pick MLS over that if that is the case. It sounds like he wants to go out on top like you mentioned.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This Donovan fellow... any chance he could be transferred/sold to Everton and then loaned back to the Galaxy ?

Just wondering...

This thread started off well, but then became TLDR-ish. But no matter, I suppose.

Anyway, I could give a flying fcuk if some athletes don't want to come and play here. It makes me appreciate the ones who do a lot more.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I saw a recent interview with him and he said he could have still played for Chelsea but he wanted to leave on a high note after the Champions League. He has interest from Real Madrid as a next stop possibly so I seriously doubt he would pick MLS over that if that is the case. It sounds like he wants to go out on top like you mentioned.
    Drogba has already signed for Anelka's outfit Shanghai Xhenhua (or whatever it's called)... so, whatever - he just wants bags of cash.

edit - than again, I may have spoken too soon, but he is linked to them.
    Last edited by TOBOR !; 06-04-2012 at 08:42 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    im sorry, some people are talking about the MLS rules being a joke in this thread and i really didn't know where else to post this so i'm going to do it here: WHY THE FUCK IS WITH THE NAME OF THE MLS WEBSITE!?

it's mlssoccer.com

but MLS is an acronym. so MLSsoccer actually stands for majorleaguesoccersoccer.com

fuck.
    /rant.
    A more dated ridiculous acronym/term:

CSA

I realize fully that Soccer is the accepted term for the sport in NA but

Association Football
    As soc iaton Football
    soccer

Canadian Association Football Association.

Love it.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post

CSA

I realize fully that Soccer is the accepted term for the sport in NA but

Association Football
    As soc iaton Football
    soccer

Canadian Association Football Association.

Love it.
    You're really reaching there

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post

it's mlssoccer.com

fuck.
    /rant.
    LOL! I have the same beef...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post

CSA
    Interetingly enough, the CSA was founded as the Dominion Football Association.

"Dominion" being a nationalistic word back in the day.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Interetingly enough, the CSA was founded as the Dominion Football Association.

"Dominion" being a nationalistic word back in the day.

Mmmmm...Guess who's day you just made with that post?

But let's get this back to topic:

I think this situation will be resolved when Donovan gets Evertonian.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 06-04-2012 at 10:35 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER