Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Report: ADP will join LA Galaxy at the window

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=397366

Come on! How can they do that??? #creativeaccounting

That's ridiculous. At least give the appearance you are trying to abide by the rules man!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seriously, how?
    RWN - SoctoberFest! Champion '11, TFC Supporters Cup Champs '10, Indoor Champs '10 & '09, Niagara Cup Champs '09 & '08.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

non-DP salary and millions of endorsements?
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What a joke. One rule for them, one for the rest of MLS it seems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bullshit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's funny I head on fan590 this morning he was linked to the impact lol

Edit: looks like saputo denied it, carry on

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/sports/spo...del-piero.html

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It really is funny when folks try to tell you with a straight face that MLS actually has a salary cap.

It seems 99.99% certain that the guaranteed number doesn't count against the cap. Which means they can pay this guy whatever they like as a base and then bonus him to high hell.

And then there is the mysterious allocation money which is made available by the competition committee for exceptional circumstances and thou shalt never know the amount. Fun, eh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So my question is why the hell are we not on LA salary level? We should be going balls to the wall getting the best damn players avaible.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    So my question is why the hell are we not on LA salary level? We should be going balls to the wall getting the best damn players avaible.
    In all seriousness, it is because TFC wasn't born with a championship vision in mind. It was a necessary piece of a business deal that needed to be included to secure a percentage of operating profits of a government financed stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    In all seriousness, it is because TFC wasn't born with a championship vision in mind. It was a necessary piece of a business deal that needed to be included to secure a percentage of operating profits of a government financed stadium.
    Makes me want to puke. Fucking hate being a T.O sports fan because all this bullshit going on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this league is bs..... New York and LA get all the superstars they want......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, just wow.

How can you say something like that with a straight face? TFC is one of few teams are paying 3 players more than a million dollars while they have invested in club's infrastructure that cost millions. Problem is that we haven't seen results on field outside of ACC/CCL yet.

Maybe it just some "superstar" players only want to play in certain cities (NY & L.A.). We can't control that. I assume ADP is one of those players only wants to play in L.A. or New York.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Wow, just wow.

How can you say something like that with a straight face? TFC is one of few teams are paying 3 players more than a million dollars while they have invested in club's infrastructure that cost millions. Problem is that we haven't seen results on field outside of ACC/CCL yet.
    I looooooove the indignant tone of voice.

Pookie, how DARE you?

Try this TFC07: the first DP was clearly a marketing/brand building decision, and the other two were brought in to defend the super-premium pricing structure and high-but-declining SSH numbers for a floundering, last place team, and not to win championships.

And no, I don't have a piece of paper to prove it - but it's freaking obvious.
    Last edited by ensco; 06-01-2012 at 05:20 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the special "LA doesn't look like they're going to make the playoffs" allocation rule.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Relja View Post
    this league is bs..... New York and LA get all the superstars they want......
    Honestly - if MLSE were trying to live up players like that for us, I bet the league would do the same. I have a feeling it's more about bending over backwards for marquee names than it is bending over backwards for LA and NY.

It's just that those teams are the ones attracting and pursuing those players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Pookie, how DARE you?

Try this TFC07: the first DP was clearly a marketing/brand building decision, and the other two were brought in to defend the super-premium pricing structure and high-but-declining SSH numbers for a floundering, last place team, and not to win championships.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, not critizing, if I was a president of a group like RPB, I'd be on the horn with every SG around the league outside of LA to protest this shit.

This is bullshit and no less corrupt than anything going on in the rest of the footballing world.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Honestly - if MLSE were trying to live up players like that for us, I bet the league would do the same. I have a feeling it's more about bending over backwards for marquee names than it is bending over backwards for LA and NY.

It's just that those teams are the ones attracting and pursuing those players.
    This sounds about right.

Let's be serious now, if you were a superstar in your country, would you come to a place like Toronto to continue that stardom?
    I think LA/NY are the places these guys are interested in. Hanging with Jay-Z and Tom Cruise as oppose to Alan Thick and Anne Murray.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    This sounds about right.

Let's be serious now, if you were a superstar in your country, would you come to a place like Toronto to continue that stardom?
    I think LA/NY are the places these guys are interested in. Hanging with Jay-Z and Tom Cruise as oppose to Alan Thick and Anne Murray.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    IMO, not critizing, if I was a president of a group like RPB, I'd be on the horn with every SG around the league outside of LA to protest this shit.

This is bullshit and no less corrupt than anything going on in the rest of the footballing world.
    hmmm no it's not, it's business. It's the way MLS has always been run. Why are you so surprised?

If a big name player wants to come to this league and requests to play in a certain city, do you think the owners of the league, who are still trying to build the brand and the legitimacy of the play on the pitch, are going to deny that request?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    hmmm no it's not, it's business. It's the way MLS has always been run. Why are you so surprised?

If a big name player wants to come to this league and requests to play in a certain city, do you think the owners of the league, who are still trying to build the brand and the legitimacy of the play on the pitch, are going to deny that request?
    Here's where it's bullshit.

TFC Fans: "Hey TFC, we're doing shit, at the bottom of the table, make our team better!"
    TFC Owners: "Sorry, we're at the cap!"
    TFC Fans: "So use that DP rule!"
    TFC Owners: "We've maxed that out too."
    TFC Fans: "Alright then I guess we make due with what we have until things are freed up. Rules are rules."

At the very same time...

LA Fans: "Hey LAG, we're doing shit, at the bottom of the table, make our team better!"
    LA Owners: "Sorry, we're OVER the cap! ...Wait a tick, we're LA! Let us call Garber and have him make something up to fix it"
    LA Fans: "How about DP's?"
    LA Owners: "Sure we'll get another spot too"
    LA Fans: "Great news!"

I'm sorry but this is utter fucking horseshit. How the fuck do we sit here as fans of MLS, and listen to our ownership tell us they can't do a fucking thing with our roster, when LA, in a worse roster position, can just say fuck the rules and Garber is behind it all the way?

MLS can fuck right off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's where it's bullshit.

TFC Fans: "Hey TFC, we're doing shit, at the bottom of the table, make our team better!"
    TFC Owners: "Sorry, we're at the cap!"
    TFC Fans: "So use that DP rule!"
    TFC Owners: "We've maxed that out too."
    TFC Fans: "Alright then I guess we make due with what we have until things are freed up. Rules are rules."

At the very same time...

LA Fans: "Hey LAG, we're doing shit, at the bottom of the table, make our team better!"
    LA Owners: "Sorry, we're OVER the cap! ...Wait a tick, we're LA! Let us call Garber and have him make something up to fix it"
    LA Fans: "How about DP's?"
    LA Owners: "Sure we'll get another spot too"
    LA Fans: "Great news!"

I'm sorry but this is utter fucking horseshit. How the fuck do we sit here as fans of MLS, and listen to our ownership tell us they can't do a fucking thing with our roster, when LA, in a worse roster position, can just say fuck the rules and Garber is behind it all the way?

MLS can fuck right off.
    You are assuming that MLSE want to pay a ton of money to a big name or few. They might, but they might not. I doubt that would be an option with the impending sale even if they wanted to.

And I believe our new owners have set a precedent with the Jays - when the $$$ dry up, they stop investing as much into players.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are assuming that MLSE want to pay a ton of money to a big name or few. They might, but they might not. I doubt that would be an option with the impending sale even if they wanted to.

And I believe our new owners have set a precedent with the Jays - when the $$$ dry up, they stop investing as much into players.
    They would probably sell more ADP TFC jerseys than all the Leaf jerseys combined. Might even see more Del Piero #10's than Gilmour 93's on the streets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not necessarily assuming they want to, but recently they (Mariner, perhaps others) have stated there is nothing they can do to add to this team. This is either a truth or it isn't, we as fans need to know what the fuck is going on IMO.

There's a difference for us in knowing if there's nothing this club can do, or there's things they are choosing not to do.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Wow, just wow.

Maybe it just some "superstar" players only want to play in certain cities (NY & L.A.). We can't control that. I assume ADP is one of those players only wants to play in L.A. or New York.
    I can say that they were born as a result of a business deal because they were born as a result of a business deal.

Specifically an October 2005 proposal submitted to Toronto City Council entitled "Soccer Stadium at Exhibition Place."

You might find page 6 fairly interesting in which... and I quote...

"Some of the essential points of the business arrangement are as follows:

vi) requirement for MLSE to purchase a major league soccer franchise to be located in Toronto "

Full proposal is here: http://www.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa...nto Report.pdf

You see, the stadium came before the team and the team was necessary to secure a share of the operating profits. Read further on, they only pegged attendance at 14k and were expecting ongoing share of revenues from FIFA U20 event, CSA games, concerts, and potentially the Argos of CFL fame. As part of the deal, a MLS team was necessary.

Pookie, how DARE you?

That's ok. I had the piece of paper to prove what is freaking obvious. You owe me a beer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not necessarily assuming they want to, but recently they (Mariner, perhaps others) have stated there is nothing they can do to add to this team. This is either a truth or it isn't, we as fans need to know what the fuck is going on IMO.

There's a difference for us in knowing if there's nothing this club can do, or there's things they are choosing not to do.
    I agree - I'd love to know. But if the answer is that they don't want to spend - do you think they are really going to come out and tell us that, or hide behind the whole "we are at the cap"?

Plus, I doubt the league would bend the rules like this for any old player. I think it would take someone in the Beckham/Henry/Del Piero bracket to get them to do it. As others have mentioned, those players aren't exactly lining up to come here.

And our FO has a terrible reputation. Players talk - that's not going to help the cause.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree - I'd love to know. But if the answer is that they don't want to spend - do you think they are really going to come out and tell us that, or hide behind the whole "we are at the cap"?

Plus, I doubt the league would bend the rules like this for any old player. I think it would take someone in the Beckham/Henry/Del Piero bracket to get them to do it. As others have mentioned, those players aren't exactly lining up to come here.

And our FO has a terrible reputation. Players talk - that's not going to help the cause.
    We can challenge them at the Town Hall, we can make banners, we can do what we want...if we know.

I'm not against the addition of talent to MLS, nor am I against any attempt to make this league more renown, but it has to be fucking fair!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pookie, how DARE you?

1. When JDG was signed we were elated. We wanted a Canadian.
    2. We have more SSH than we did before we signed JDG.
    3. Nearly every team is sports has profit in mind, why else would someone run a franchise? To lose millions of dollars?
    4. Its insane to think MLSE doesn't want TFC to win. There is far more money in winning than losing. Losing comes with lost revenue, the opposite of what MLSE wants.
    5. We have the 3rd highest payroll in the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    1. When JDG was signed we were elated. We wanted a Canadian.
    2. We have more SSH than we did before we signed JDG.
    3. Nearly every team is sports has profit in mind, why else would someone run a franchise? To lose millions of dollars?
    4. Its insane to think MLSE doesn't want TFC to win. There is far more money in winning than losing. Losing comes with lost revenue, the opposite of what MLSE wants.
    5. We have the 3rd highest payroll in the league.
    Unfortunately this is sometimes not true in leagues that invoke revenue sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really is funny when folks try to tell you with a straight face that MLS actually has a salary cap.
    Actually, a few weeks ago someone on here explained that MLS has a "salary budget" - that is the amount the league pays towards the salaries of all the teams. It's s ingle-entity league, afterall. But some teams fought for the right to pay additional salaries themselves and so the DP rule was brought in. And then it was increased to three DPs and now it looks like it could be increased some more.

There will likely be many more adjustments to these rules as the league continues to grow. Let's face it, in any sports league in the world some owners spend more on players than others and some owners are always looking for ways around caps and other restrictions. It's not a bad thing, really, just like it's not a bad thing to keep some retraints. Like any business there's a danger in expanding too quickly or too slowly.

It's just too bad the owners of our team aren't the ones to be always pushing for more.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, I am VERY curious as to how LA can fit him in. I just don't see the league adding another DP spot.