http://health.nytimes.com/health/gui.../overview.html
    I guess an overdose is likely

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This is what happens to me. Because it was too depressing, I swore off watching TFC on TV for the rest of the year about 4 weeks ago, figured I would only watch in person.

But I am curious to see what Mariner does.

What should I do?
    Fly down to KC, watch it in person.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see TFC doing any better than a two goal loss. If I were Mariner, I would strip apart Winter's system for this one and park the bus "England style" in front of their goal and see if we can stifle them into a draw. I think that's TFC's only hope of anything in this one. I know that's negative - but TFC have been shifting goals away from home - so lets try and get a 0-0 and start from there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    I don't see TFC doing any better than a two goal loss. If I were Mariner, I would strip apart Winter's system for this one and park the bus "England style" in front of their goal and see if we can stifle them into a draw. I think that's TFC's only hope of anything in this one. I know that's negative - but TFC have been shifting goals away from home - so lets try and get a 0-0 and start from there.
    That's what we did against DC United to no affect. Maybe a 5 man mid instead of a 5 man backline though?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frings said in his interview at practice yesterday that they're playing a new system and he hoped they can learn it by then. Doesn't bode well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are these practices completely closed, or are the reporters just too lazy to tell us that type of system they're practicing? In any case, so much for Anselmi's claim that Mariner would keep Winter's vision, not that I believed it anyways

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    Are these practices completely closed, or are the reporters just too lazy to tell us that type of system they're practicing?
    Most of the Toronto soccer press have been attending the CMNT training sessions lately.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, a new day, a(nother) new manager, and a new formation for the club... a new chapter in more ways than one, for all of us.

Here's hoping for a surprisingly strong showing from the team, in response to these changes, but jloome's word from Frings doesn't leave me hopeful.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At this point, the bottom line is the first team needs results in league play, plain and simple. If TFC plays competent, aggressive, attack minded football and earns positive results for the duration of the season and in the CCL, I honestly couldn't care less what formation Mariner decides to employ for the time being.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 06-12-2012 at 09:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm driving from MB to Kansas City for the game. My first TFC game. I booked the trip before I knew they would suck, but looking forward to a fun roadtrip nonetheless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We beat Philadelphia. That's it. They suck.

So on that note I expect a decent showing but another loss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we dont continue the winning streak we've been on then, this would truely be a debacle.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleUp View Post
    If we dont continue the winning streak we've been on then, this would truely be a debacle.
    6 out of the next 8 games are away, with one of the home games V New York - do you really expect a winning streak with those games?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Current injury report for both teams:

TORONTO FC -- OUT: DF Ty Harden (R adductor strain); FW Nicholas Lindsay (L knee surgery recovery); GK Stefan Frei (L lower leg); QUESTIONABLE: DF Aaron Maund (R eye hyphema); DF Dicoy Williams (R knee surgery recovery); DF Logan Emory (shoulder subluxation)

SPORTING KANSAS CITY -- OUT: MF Korede Aiyegbusi (R knee sprain); DF Matt Besler (appendicitis); DF Cyprian Hedrick (L fibula fracture); GK Eric Kronberg (lower back strain); MF Luke Sassano (L knee sprain); QUESTIONABLE: FW Bobby Convey (R calf strain); MF Paulo Nagamura (R abductor strain); FW Jacob Peterson (R ankle sprain)

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I predict a bunch more losses as the Submariner attempts to overwrite Winter's programming. Upon the conclusion of the season he will then leave TFC to pursue 'other offers' (last seen packing his anorak, carrying a copy of Fodor's Guide to Dartmoor).
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't care if we lose a few over the next month - but as long as the players look like they are trying and we (the crowd) can see what they are attempting to do. Apart from the Philly game (which also TFC sucked most of and really made a meal out if winning) the players have looked so low on confidence and attitude. Just having some of the players play with confidence would be good at this moment. If Mariner can get players like Plata and Eckersley playing like we KNOW they can - then as long as we see improvement, then the results are irrelevant over the next few games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    the players have looked so low on confidence and attitude. Just having some of the players play with confidence would be good at this moment.
    I have to disagree with this. They've fought like dogs in almost every game this season other than bunker ball in Montreal. They've looked low on confidence in interviews and after games, but they haven't looked lacking in attitude. In half those games they lose, they outshot our competition.

They dominated vs. Columbus and lost; they were entirely competitive against RSL and lost; they fought hard against Seattle, and lost.

This isn't just an issue of motivation. I don't doubt he may be a better communicator, but they hadn't given up playing for Winter.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I have to disagree with this. They've fought like dogs in almost every game this season other than bunker ball in Montreal. They've looked low on confidence in interviews and after games, but they haven't looked lacking in attitude. In half those games they lose, they outshot our competition.

They dominated vs. Columbus and lost; they were entirely competitive against RSL and lost; they fought hard against Seattle, and lost.

This isn't just an issue of motivation. I don't doubt he may be a better communicator, but they hadn't given up playing for Winter.
    I certainly think this is true. All we remember in retrospect is that those games were losses, it's hard to forget that at the time we thought the played those games hard, and in at least a couple of them got less than we felt they deserved from the game.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

When players come out and say, "we are better than them" as they did, confidence isn't the issue.

I feel bad for saying this but will anyways. Mariner's timeframe for a turnaround is immediate. We left a long term approach in favour of results over the short term. If they don't come, it should spell the end of Anselmi in charge of this team. If he takes Mariner down with him, so be it.

Win or draw. There is no lose.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    FUN???

FUN???

FUN?????????

If you're a masochist maybe. This team is going to put most of us in an early grave...
    Well, I like doing 100k rides which rock my body, play soccer terribly, looking at boxing and am a TFC fan... Yup, I am most defo a masochist!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    At this point, the bottom line is the first team needs results in league play, plain and simple. If TFC plays competent, aggressive, attack minded football and earns positive results for the duration of the season and in the CCL, I honestly couldn't care less what formation Mariner decides to employ for the time being.
    Winter wanted a Dutch style but IMO we are suited to 5-3-2 or 4-1-2-1-2 where we play more defensively and make it on the counter.

We have some very fast RB and LB, as well as speed up top and good distributors in the mid.

It seems to make sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sky View Post
    Winter wanted a Dutch style but IMO we are suited to 5-3-2 or 4-1-2-1-2 where we play more defensively and make it on the counter.

We have some very fast RB and LB, as well as speed up top and good distributors in the mid.

It seems to make sense.
    I curious about how you think we would look when lined up in a 4-1-2-1-2

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    I curious about how you think we would look when lined up in a 4-1-2-1-2
    Kocic
    Hall/Eck*-Cann-Henry-Morgan
    Frings
    Avila - Soolsma
    JDG
    Lambe/DK - RJ/Plata

Another option is to put Lambe in Mid, Hall is a defensive RB, Eck is offensive, I think bringing him on after 55-60 he gets to run around the opponent on fresh legs.

5-3-2 is a bit odd, but workable.

Kocic
    Eck-Hall-Cann-Henry-Morgan
    Lambe-Frings-Avila
    DK - RJ

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mariner said in the Fan that he will play a 4-5-1 or a 4-4-2. Any speculations?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Mariner said in the Fan that he will play a 4-5-1 or a 4-4-2. Any speculations?
    I would guess the 4-4-2 would be a diamond mid which some people (including me) call 4-1-2-1-2

My GUESS at 4-5-1 would be:

Hall/Eck - Cann - Henry - Morgan
    Lambe - Avila - Frings - JDG - RJ
    DK

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Curious as to why there is no thought being expressed as to how to defend against SKC's version of the 4-3-3.

Seems to me that this style has been very effective for them. Even with our record, the 4-3-3 tended to break down more on set pieces and our inability to convert a decent shot total to goals. Our play, for the most part, is not reflective of the record.

So, how do you counter a team that is doing a better job of executing a system that can dominate a game with a line up that is still prone to set piece challenges and missed shots?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Curious as to why there is no thought being expressed as to how to defend against SKC's version of the 4-3-3.

Seems to me that this style has been very effective for them. Even with our record, the 4-3-3 tended to break down more on set pieces and our inability to convert a decent shot total to goals. Our play, for the most part, is not reflective of the record.

So, how do you counter a team that is doing a better job of executing a system that can dominate a game with a line up that is still prone to set piece challenges and missed shots?
    Also 4-3-3s are quite good for ripping apart 4-4-2s. I bet he goes the 5 midfielder option and tries to gum up the centre of the pitch.

For those calling for 4-4-2, I'm still perplexed who would play the second striker. We still only have one striker. I can't see why any of the pairings people are talking about would work. All involve playing someone out of their preferred position. Would also like to know who people think are wide midfielders on this team. Soolsma is the only one I can see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Also 4-3-3s are quite good for ripping apart 4-4-2s. I bet he goes the 5 midfielder option and tries to gum up the centre of the pitch.

For those calling for 4-4-2, I'm still perplexed who would play the second striker. We still only have one striker. I can't see why any of the pairings people are talking about would work. All involve playing someone out of their preferred position. Would also like to know who people think are wide midfielders on this team. Soolsma is the only one I can see.
    This is refreshing, there's almost never talk on here about the other team and what they might try to do to win.

Did anyone actually call for 4-4-2? Didn't most people just want to win a game or two before the season ended? We know the line-up won't get overhauled during the season, so weren't people just asking for whatever would give these guys the best chance at winning?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    This is refreshing, there's almost never talk on here about the other team and what they might try to do to win.

Did anyone actually call for 4-4-2? Didn't most people just want to win a game or two before the season ended? We know the line-up won't get overhauled during the season, so weren't people just asking for whatever would give these guys the best chance at winning?
    Some people have been calling for that for a while now - check out some of the pregame formation stuff. And the rumour is that Mariner is going to play 4-4-2.

I have to honestly say, if Mariner plays 4-4-2 then all the talk about "playing to the type of players you have" stuff is BS, because we have a lot of gaps in the kind of players you need to play that system. Tells me he doesn't know the players very well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone considered playing Silva as a shadow striker?