Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pregame/In game: 16 June, TFC @ Sporting Kansas City

Kansas City seemed to have shaken off the bit of funk they were in, and now unbeaten in 3 in all competitions. Still not looking as sharp as they did to start the season with 7 game winning streak, but SKC will have US Open Cup games to keep up match fitness while TFC is coming off a long break.

Will be lucky to nick a point, though TFC did manage to pot in two goals last trip to Livestrong
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am somewhat confused as to how TFC have found themselves in this position. We have played the lowest number of games of all teams this season and yet we have a 2+ week break? How is that possible? I fear a tight cluster of games at some point this summer that will wear this team down, especially since our biggest impact players are all 30+.

Coming off a break, the team won't be weighed by the 9 game league losing streak, but could be a bit rusty. It's hard to really peg what team will show up as there hasn't been a team this year that has been more Jekyll and Hyde than TFC...so I could argue that KC will win based on rational reasons and the VC winning TFC team will show up and spank them. I throw up my hands in the air. My projections this year have been crap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aye look at our schedule upon return, it's basically twice a week till the fall.

Could go both ways, if they find what they had at the end of that 1st segment, they could roll with consecutive matches and get into rhythm? The players themselves seemed irritated at winning vs Montreal, then having a week off, then again with the V's cup + Phil win, and another break.

Our depth will be tested, it'll be important for Winter to manage everyone's time so they aren't gassed midway through this stretch as we gear up for CCL.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I am somewhat confused as to how TFC have found themselves in this position. We have played the lowest number of games of all teams this season and yet we have a 2+ week break? How is that possible? I fear a tight cluster of games at some point this summer that will wear this team down, especially since our biggest impact players are all 30+.
    MLS respecting FIFA int dates. I suspect part of reason why TFC played few league games compared to other teams is due to high number of CCL and VC games TFC played so far
    Coming off a break, the team won't be weighed by the 9 game league losing streak, but could be a bit rusty. It's hard to really peg what team will show up as there hasn't been a team this year that has been more Jekyll and Hyde than TFC...so I could argue that KC will win based on rational reasons and the VC winning TFC team will show up and spank them. I throw up my hands in the air. My projections this year have been crap.
    isn't TFC fun to watch? lol
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    isn't TFC fun to watch? lol

FUN???

FUN???

FUN?????????

If you're a masochist maybe. This team is going to put most of us in an early grave...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FUN???

FUN???

FUN?????????

If you're a masochist maybe. This team is going to put most of us in an early grave...
    We all are masochists. We get off on every TFC victory still... and have scars to prove it

-Eduardo Galeano

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes this team makes us feel like this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just pointing out TFC have actually played more games than every other team. 18 at this point I believe. 8 of which were essentially play-off games. Some teams are starting to complain about fixture congestion now - well TFC is the one team that has had that right from day one. One piece of context behind the losing streak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This team is not going to win that many more games in the league.We beat one of the poorer teams by a goal and you think we are back in the thick of it.We need some serious reinforcements.Our goals for and goals against is still one of the poorest in the league.I can`t believe 1-9 has not gotten a coach fired.What are the excuses going to be when we get our next butt kicking.I would be very surprized if we get ang points in KC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i believe we have 11 games in 35 or 36 days starting June 16th (including the meaningless friendly)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

------------Kocic-----------
    Eckersly-Cann-Henry-Morgan
    ----Frings-----De Guzman---
    Lambe-----Avila-----Johnson
    ---------Koevermans-------

Bench:
    Roberts
    Williams
    Hall
    Dunfield
    Sooslma
    Silva
    Plata

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just wish that this league went to a more balanced schedule. Playing a giant amount of games in a short period of time isn't good for anyone. Why can't the mls just go to playing games once a week? There's times where teams play three times in the span of a week. That is just way too much no matter how big your squad is

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David_Oliveira View Post
    I just wish that this league went to a more balanced schedule. Playing a giant amount of games in a short period of time isn't good for anyone. Why can't the mls just go to playing games once a week? There's times where teams play three times in the span of a week. That is just way too much no matter how big your squad is
    MLS doesn't crowd the schedule other completions combined w/ MLS = schedule congestion.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're 100% right but I really think that only being able to sign 30 players at a low salary cap is detrimental to all the teams that qualify for the tournaments outside the mls.

With the addition of the champions league, the league knows 3 teams will qualify.

I hate to do this but lets compare mls to Portugal. In Portugal, games happen from Friday to Monday. If a team has a cup game, champions league game or Europa league game, they'll play Friday, euro game then again Saturday or Sunday. I know it doesn't exactly work here for broadcasting purposes but these things can easily be planned out.

Mls winner would be decided. Change the voyageurs cup and usoc so that those winners would be decided prior to the end of the season and all three could be known. The mls could then work it so those three would play on Saturdays the following season. This would allow for the same amount of games to be played just more spread out.

It could work but who knows. Either way i expect a 1-0 win for the reds. Goal by fringsy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stouffville_RPB View Post
    MLS doesn't crowd the schedule other completions combined w/ MLS = schedule congestion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stouffville_RPB View Post
    From June 16th to July 18th Toronto plays 10 MLS games (roughly 1 game every 3.5 days), so MLS can be accused of crowding the schedule

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oranje View Post
    From June 16th to July 18th Toronto plays 10 MLS games (roughly 1 game every 3.5 days), so MLS can be accused of crowding the schedule
    it's what you get when you can't play games in winter. add in CCL, VC, USOC, and retarded friendlies, it is what it is (i so hate that expression). oh, and don't forget FIFA international dates (which was one of the biggest beef people had with MLS FO)

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FUN???

FUN???

FUN?????????

The more i watch, the more i drink. It's a lose/win situation!

FUN FUN FUN!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's what you get when you can't play games in winter. add in CCL, VC, USOC, and retarded friendlies, it is what it is (i so hate that expression). oh, and don't forget FIFA international dates (which was one of the biggest beef people had with MLS FO)
    Now if you're saying this because you didn't like the idea of tfc scheduling that game vs Liverpool, keep in mind they were supposed to play Chicago on that day, so they would've been playing anyways. But because they are now playing jus a friendly that day, chances are the starters now only have to play 45 mins, instead of 90 mins had Chicago not asked the game be moved

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    Now if you're saying this because you didn't like the idea of tfc scheduling that game vs Liverpool, keep in mind they were supposed to play Chicago on that day, so they would've been playing anyways. But because they are now playing jus a friendly that day, chances are the starters now only have to play 45 mins, instead of 90 mins had Chicago not asked the game be moved
    i'm against any mid season friendlies by ANY MLS teams

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D.K. will put away the only goal in this one. It is up to our 'D' to shut them down. Let them earn the "Canadian Shield" title.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Marketing commitment?

i'm against any mid season friendlies by ANY MLS teams
    The class of the league or its flagship clubs may need to participate in an exhibition which can draw more media attention than league play at this point. It may also be the only other opportunity to draw more than BMO capacity.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Except TFC are neither the class of the league nor a flagship club.

Constantly losing to European teams only lines the pockets of MLSE and does little to grow the game in this city. All it does is justify the Eurosnobs who put down MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Canadian back line

Quote Originally Posted by bigredone View Post
    D.K. will put away the only goal in this one. It is up to our 'D' to shut them down. Let them earn the "Canadian Shield" title.
    If the TFC academy can develop a pipeline of MLS starting quality defenders the club could become a flagship club in MLS and CCL hopefully.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcocd View Post
    The class of the league or its flagship clubs may need to participate in an exhibition which can draw more media attention than league play at this point. It may also be the only other opportunity to draw more than BMO capacity.
    has these friendlies really translated to increased attendance for any MLS teams?

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I did not watch the reserve game against Montreal our offence needed an equalizer which was only provided by Montreal mistakes. Our 'D', well, the score was 2 -2 so not sure how they did. Not to great on both ends for us in the reserve match.
    The academy teams seem to be doing very well, bright future on the backs of hopeful fans. As for the comment about a flagship club, I think you totally right. Leagues are popping up and expanding in Ontario and N.A. Great times to be a football fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm... I notice Junior Burgos was wearing the same orange shirt as most of the first teamers in the training vids today. Perhaps a start?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what happens to me. Because it was too depressing, I swore off watching TFC on TV for the rest of the year about 4 weeks ago, figured I would only watch in person.

But I am curious to see what Mariner does.

What should I do?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This is what happens to me. Because it was too depressing, I swore off watching TFC on TV for the rest of the year about 4 weeks ago, figured I would only watch in person.

What should I do?
    Watch the game.

Have a supply of Rolaids on hand in case of sudden indigestion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Watch the game.

Have a supply of Rolaids on hand in case of sudden indigestion.
    Your advice should come with a health warning

http://health.nytimes.com/health/gui.../overview.html
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

What should I do?