Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Sorry, this is what I was getting at. Being at the Academy later in age gives more exposure to MLS options.

The major problem I've found with the u-12/ u-13 levels in this city is that they are not focused on development, rather more focused on winning. Once a player has tapped out in how they can compete, they are discarded instead of developed. I can only assume TFC-A is setup to have the ability to train their own youth who can then step up later on with the already developed skills needed to compete and develop further.

Our team picked up a kid who was a starter on a higher team but then rode the bench and was quickly left off his previous team. We had to re-train the kid how to pass/receive/ maintain ball possession. No idea how he was a starter with the lack of skill/knowledge that he had. I can only assume TFC-A is setup to avoid situations like this.
    I think you'd find that if you moved to SAAC for the U13 (and under) you'd find a HUGE difference in focus. I say that as a former Rep Coach in the Club system. For me, it has been a terrific and eye opening experience to see the difference.

Even Refs will comment that you can tell the difference between parents in a SAAC program vs a Club team. The SAAC parents are (usually) not coaching from the sidelines.

Trying to be objective, I think that at the younger ages if you have a kid playing for a SAAC team 3 x week, they would be much further ahead in their development than playing with a Club Team + 1 night a week with TFC-A. Once the OSA's LTPD model takes hold, we'll see. That new OPD League will be another interesting development as Clubs will be required to adopt Academy-like standards in order to participate in the top tiers.

If you have 20-25 clubs and SAAC members offering a training focus (3:1 training to game ratio), qualified paid coaches, a focus on individual development, therapists, etc... how will TFC-A compare to that? What would make them different, aside from the cache of their name?

As for the older guys, I think SAAC and TFC-A are offering similar options. More emphasis on training and emphasis on paid, quality coaching. That said, I have no idea what the coaching credentials are at TFC-A. Brennan was rumored to have his B license. Being a former player doesn't sell me on either SAAC or TFC-A. I want quality coaches

As for more MLS options, I'm not sure. Take 2 Provincial players of similar skill. One whose MLS rights are held by TFC-A and the other who hasn't signed with anyone. The TFC-A kid can only go to TFC unless they choose to send him somewhere else. The kid who is effectively a "free agent" has the option of Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal... assuming they want him. He could also go without hassle to the NCAA. I'm hearing TFC-A kids can go too but it may be a little more complicated given the "commitment."

I think of a kid like Aleman whose rights are now with Vancouver. If he ever wants to come back he is at their mercy so to speak. If they have no plans for him on the first team, he's stuck until he can finagle a release/trade.

The free aspect to TFC-A is certainly eye catching. But if they can't offer development better than SAAC (and the upcoming OPDL) I'm not sure that it is an advantage.
    Last edited by Pookie; 06-01-2012 at 06:09 PM.