Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wren View Post
    Is today really the day for people to turn on Ryan Johnson? The guy has been TFC's best player by far this season. We won yesterday, let's not find reasons to negative.
    I love watching him play. He's always running and giving 120% regardless of the results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    I love watching him play. He's always running and giving 120% regardless of the results.
    When I look at RJ9 I see this:

Pros:
    Will work his tail off when he desires to
    Good physical size, speed
    Good 1st touch
    Powerful shot

Cons:
    Worst strike rate in MLS over past 3+ seasons, really, that bad
    Easily frustrated
    Tunnel vision can happen near the goal sometimes

Perhaps his inability to score routinely with his regular opportunities forces him to be overly aggressive on the shot, missing opportunities to feed his teammates easier goals (see post DK goal in recent match for an example). With his kind of chances he needs to be bagging 10+ goals, but he's continually proven he can't hit the net and that's worrisome. Great talent for MLS, good fit for the league, our team, just needs to find his stroke and master it.

He's been scoring on the international level in recent time (7 in 18 matches), scores in the CCL when we need that goal (5 in 2011/12 CCL, MVP of V's Cup), but in the MLS just zero ability to find mesh. Hard to explain it. He'd be on top of the league if he could get it together. Hopefully someday real soon it just starts to click for him.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So ppl are going to hate on RJ like they did to Barrett?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The vibe yesterday was good.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RJ's difference in finishing between VC/CCL and MLS is really bizarre. I feel that alone explains a significant portion of the difference in team form -- i.e., a couple of goals more or less in each case would make a big difference in comparative results between CCL & MLS. (But it's certainly not the only factor.)

Another thing to consider: RJ has been playing every minute of every game this year -- I think the only TFC player coming close to that. This is despite the fact that he occasionally looks tired or frustrated -- and the guy takes a massive beating. I can't believe how often he's been fouled or roughed up, and that's not always called.

Hopefully someday we'll have a decent, cost-effective backup striker for Koevermans, and RJ can get a rest when he's not playing on the wing...???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see this overwhelming Ryan Johnson hate that you guys are all pointing to. I've seen some valid criticisms of his finishing (at least when the ball is at his feet), but nothing too outlandish. Yes, I'm frustrated.. but that's only because we saw what he could do in the CCL. Either way I'd still take him over Barret and Santos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a couple of comments:
    1. RJ cannot score. he needs to be on the bench and re-evaluate for a while.
    2. DK and NS should be back on starting 11.
    3. JDG shall stop his long range shots. it hasnt worked, and is costing valuable chances.
    4. defesne line starting to look better. ashton and doneil are good.
    5. eckersely plays passionately, and he did well midfield and even right winger
    6. lets give some credit to Kocic. he's a leader on the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RJ not be our best center forward, but he is certainly our best left winger.

RJ --- Koef --- Soolsma

should lead the line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soolsma looks and runs like a Lego man, but he fools the bejesus out of defenders regularly. That goal was a sweet fake-look to cross it then the cheeky pass inside. I wonder if bringing him in later and fresh is a big part of that...

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QSIM View Post
    RJ not be our best center forward, but he is certainly our best left winger.

RJ --- Koef --- Soolsma

should lead the line.
    And bring Plata on after 60 minutes.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't agree, start:
    RJ - DK - Lambe
    Sub:
    Plata - DK - Soolsma

Or
    Plata - RJ - Lambe
    Sub
    RJ - DK - Lambe
    Then:
    RJ - DK - Soolsma

Plata IS that perfect 60 min sub though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Criticism can be laid against every member of the club during the MLS season so far. Saying one player (not coach) is to blame or another is pointless as all have there faults (except for the injured). Our evaluation from the CCL to now seems like that of a respectable club, even so in our defeats. Koevs was so determined to put that one in, I thought he was going to take off like superman in celebration.

The team has lost the monkey, but not some individuals. The monkey on Winters back is of Kong like proportions. I am seriously concerned about the injury monkey that I feel is hassling Frings. Many looks of pain/strain in his face and movements.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kovermans has played 432 minutes in MLS this season. He has 3 goals. This works out to 0.625 goals per game.

In the last two games, he has played 72 minutes, and scored 2 goals.

What more does he have to do to convince Winter that he should be on the field for the entire game?
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    a couple of comments:
    1. RJ cannot score. he needs to be on the bench and re-evaluate for a while.
    2. DK and NS should be back on starting 11.
    Is Nick Soolsma really better in front of goal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Koevs + ?RJ? the only ones that can play 80+ effectively upfront.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huyton View Post
    Kovermans has played 432 minutes in MLS this season. He has 3 goals. This works out to 0.625 goals per game.

In the last two games, he has played 72 minutes, and scored 2 goals.

What more does he have to do to convince Winter that he should be on the field for the entire game?
    Winter said in his post game interview that Koevs has recently come back from injury (again) so they're easing him in. He will start when he's fully ready.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

monkey off the back?! you guys are all crazy! ya we won wooh, but everyone tends to forget what season were in and still dont have a good chance of making the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastend View Post
    Winter said in his post game interview that Koevs has recently come back from injury (again) so they're easing him in. He will start when he's fully ready.
    And I'm good with that. Koevs is no spring chicken. This is going to be a a long season including four CCL first round matches.

I was scared stiff he was going to injure himself when he jumped over the signboards after the goal.

Let's go easy on the man. Winter did say that he will be playing as he scores goals and that's good enough for me in this instance.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chad Barrett - 65 games, 16 goals. about one goal every 4 games in league play
    Ryan Johnson - 22 games, 4 goals. about one goal every 5 games in league play

I'm not hating on RJ, but just saying.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T.O TILL I DIE View Post
    monkey off the back?! you guys are all crazy! ya we won wooh, but everyone tends to forget what season were in and still dont have a good chance of making the playoffs.
    I am as realistic about this club as you can get, but was indeed a HUGE monkey off their back and that at least is a good thing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T.O TILL I DIE View Post
    You don't seem to understand what "getting the monkey off their backs" means. It doesn't mean the season is saved, or suddenly all is right with the team - it means they got a huge psychological weight off themselves by finally grabbing that first win of the season. They can stop sitting in the locker room with their heads down, wondering how much longer the losing streak is going to dog them. You could see it in the absolutely elated celebration from Koevermans after the goal, and the intense energy release from the fans when it went in. Everyone needed this.

From that perspective, we are happy for them. It was a big win. I hardly think anyone has forgotten what position we are in this season.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sky View Post
    Don't agree, start:
    RJ - DK - Lambe
    Sub:
    Plata - DK - Soolsma

Or
    Plata - RJ - Lambe
    Sub
    RJ - DK - Lambe
    Then:
    RJ - DK - Soolsma

Plata IS that perfect 60 min sub though.
    We are paying Koevermans' way too much to be used as a super-sub.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

He's a winger being played in the middle. He's not part of the problem.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    He's a winger being played in the middle. He's not part of the problem.
    He's still a forward, he still has many chances to score.

3 years of the same thing. This isn't hating, this is simply facts. 2.7% in 2010, 6.5% in 2011, and 1G in 915mins of play for a 3.2% this year. 31 shots and only 7 on goal! You can't just say "he's a winger" to that kind of play, with those kind of chances. Just about any player on the pitch should be burying the spots he finds himself with the ball.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The stats are pretty bad. I'd like to compare that to other wingers in the league at a similar salary level. What sites do you guys use to dig up MLS stats like that?
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

How about goals per dollar, especially considering Barrett's time-delayed salary bomb?

Assists?

I also don't think Barrett scored as often in VC/CCL.

But I also don't get it -- if RJ is not very effective in league play, why is AW playing him non-stop, especially as other injury concerns have subsided...?

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Screw this Johnson to Barrett comparison - these two players are in different classes.

Johnson is a far more skilled player and a better creator than Barrett.

I also think that Johnson is better at getting half-chances on goal than Barrett.

When Barrett had the ball up front as a lone striker, or was bearing down on the keeper, I only ever thought 'how's he going to miss this one ?'. But when Johnson has it, no matter the situation, I only think 'here we go lads !'.

So the personal goal rate is about the same. However, I'd argue that he's a better supplier and creates more overall chances for himself and the team than Barrett did.

all this aside, I think we're looking at the best attack this club has ever had : RJ, DK, Lambe, Nicky Soolz, Plata - any of those guys can start, come on as a sub with effectiveness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    The stats are pretty bad. I'd like to compare that to other wingers in the league at a similar salary level. What sites do you guys use to dig up MLS stats like that?
    2 out of 4 players earn more than him but this is just a comparison within the team.

Nick Soolsma - 29 games, 3 goals. About one goal every 10 games.
    Joao Plata - 36 games, 3 goals. About one goal every 12 games.
    Eric Avila - 16 games, 2 goals. One goal every 8 games.
    Reggie Lambe - 8 games, 2 games. One goal every 4 games.

Why are we singling out Johnson?
    Last edited by PopePouri; 05-28-2012 at 08:04 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    3. JDG shall stop his long range shots. it hasnt worked, and is costing valuable chances.
    I complain about this every game. If the goal was 3 feet higher he may have a chance but until that change happens....just stop shooting from distance JDG. Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    2 out of 4 players earn more than him but this is just a comparison within the team.

Nick Soolsma - 29 games, 3 goals. About one goal every 10 games.
    Joao Plata - 36 games, 3 goals. About one goal every 12 games.
    Eric Avila - 16 games, 2 goals. One goal every 8 games.
    Reggie Lambe - 8 games, 2 games. One goal every 4 games.

Why are we singling out Johnson?
    I was just talking about Saturdays game. Where Johnson missed a couple of glorious chances.

Nobody is singling him out or shitting on him. It's just a case of having expectations of him based on his talent and previous performances...and he didn't play up to expectations on Saturday.

Not the end of the world. Just an observation.

I don't understand why so many people get so defensive of the players.

Yes...I know they're trying, but when they make mistakes i think it's acceptable to point them out, wonder why, and expect more.