Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    my bad, changing it!
    No you were right first time http://www.mlssoccer.com/2012-mls-roster-rules

• The maximum budget charge for a single player is $350,000.*
    • A Designated Player over the age of 23 counts as $350,000 against the club’s salary budget
    • A Designated Player 20 years old or younger** (referred to as Young Designated Players or Young DPs) to counts as $150,000 against the club’s salary budget
    • A Designated Player 21-23 years old** counts as $200,000 against the club’s salary budget.

Players occupying roster spots 21-30 do not count against the club’s salary budget, and are referred to collectively as the club’s Off-Budget Players (maximum of 10 per team).

• All Generation adidas players are Off-Budget players.
    • Clubs may elect to leave up to two of these roster spots (25-30) vacant and use $35,000 for each empty spot as allocation money.
    • Clubs may sign up to two Homegrown Players contracts above the minimum salary and similar to Generation adidas player contract amounts.

The Homegrown Player clause is interesting one, how long does a player remain with that status? e.g. if Henry remains with club 10 years from now and earns 1,000,000$ is that amount not against cap?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For fun, aid a quick tally for LA Galaxy, they're at $3,344,238.74

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    No you were right first time http://www.mlssoccer.com/2012-mls-roster-rules

• The maximum budget charge for a single player is $350,000.*
    • A Designated Player over the age of 23 counts as $350,000 against the club’s salary budget
    • A Designated Player 20 years old or younger** (referred to as Young Designated Players or Young DPs) to counts as $150,000 against the club’s salary budget
    • A Designated Player 21-23 years old** counts as $200,000 against the club’s salary budget.

Players occupying roster spots 21-30 do not count against the club’s salary budget, and are referred to collectively as the club’s Off-Budget Players (maximum of 10 per team).

• All Generation adidas players are Off-Budget players.
    • Clubs may elect to leave up to two of these roster spots (25-30) vacant and use $35,000 for each empty spot as allocation money.
    • Clubs may sign up to two Homegrown Players contracts above the minimum salary and similar to Generation adidas player contract amounts.

The Homegrown Player clause is interesting one, how long does a player remain with that status? e.g. if Henry remains with club 10 years from now and earns 1,000,000$ is that amount not against cap?
    No. Only a players first contract can be "homegrown".

(F)HOMEGROWN PLAYER SIGNINGS
    A club may sign a player to his first professional contract without subjecting him to the MLS SuperDraft if the player has trained for at least one year in the club’s youth development program and has met the League’s Homegrown Player criteria. Players joining MLS through this mechanism are known as Homegrown Players.

There is no limit to the number of Homegrown Players a club may sign in a given year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outside of Marquez, Eckersley is the highest paid defender in MLS at 390K (DeMerit 350k, Pearce 300k, Wynne 330k, Marshall 340k)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately I think Eckersley was signed to placate the fans rather than anything that made business or soccer sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Island Man View Post
    Outside of Marquez, Eckersley is the highest paid defender in MLS at 390K (DeMerit 350k, Pearce 300k, Wynne 330k, Marshall 340k)
    Just read that. Yikes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm ok with most of the salaries.

-JDG is overpaid by a tonne (but we all knew that before).
    -If Aceval had turned out to be the CB we had all hoped no one would have a problem.
    -For the amount of minutes Harden usually logs for us 90k really isn't that bad.
    -Ecks makes a lot for fullback in a league with such a small salary cap (it's more the cap I have an issue with here, outside of a cap Ecks is worth that much)
    -Jeremy Hall makes 6 digits and so far he's been a depth player at what one could argue is our strongest position (fullback).
    -If and when Dicoy comes back to the player he was before the injury Harden or Aceval would probably be released.
    -Dunfield is in the same boat as Harden. For the minutes he logs the compensation is fair.
    -Kocic, Lambe, the Academy graduates and draft picks are steals.

Someone pointed it out already but looking at the list our top contributors are underpaid while underachievers are overpaid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Just read that. Yikes.
    Yep, I would take any of them over Ecks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Unfortunately I think Eckersley was signed to placate the fans rather than anything that made business or soccer sense.
    I disagree. Eckersley has been the best defender TFC have ever had CB or FB (Morgan is closing the gap quickly though). I think FO saw that and did what they could to bring him back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stouffville_RPB View Post
    I disagree. Eckersley has been the best defender TFC have ever had CB or FB (Morgan is closing the gap quickly though). I think FO saw that and did what they could to bring him back.
    I really don't agree with that, although saying he's the best defender we've ever had isn't a particularly high bar. Regardless, the money is too much for what we get and for what other teams get.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

imo, the FO saw how popular Ecks and Plata were and wanted them signed....yes they showed well last year, and we all wanted them back...but not at the price it is costing TFC..

if the Plata transfer fee amount is true (500K) or even close, we def overpaid for both...i put that on the 3 stooges

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joeyjones View Post
    imo, the FO saw how popular Ecks and Plata were and wanted them signed....yes they showed well last year, and we all wanted them back...but not at the price it is costing TFC..

if the Plata transfer fee amount is true (500K) or even close, we def overpaid for both...i put that on the 3 stooges
    I totally agree. At my town hall last fall, they were told so many times that we need to sign Eckersley I wouldn't be able to count it on one hand. They were feeling that pressure. I don't think he's a bad player - if he could ever play smarter, he'd be a very good player. But second highest in MLS is too much. The opportunity cost of that is huge too.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey at least JDG isn't the highest-paid player any more!

Other than Eckersley, I'm not really surprised about this list. And even for Ecks, not that surprising given his previous salary that we knew about -- but still a problem of course. Aceval is about what I expected, but of course not a good deal considering how he turned out.

We've also got some great bargains. And we need better South-American scouting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is why MLS annoys me.

1) Making salaries public...
    2) ...and then seeing so many of them are shitty ones. The league has one of the highest average football attendances, has a brand new TV deal with NBC, yet none of that money is going to the players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! 5 defenders on TFC have combined salaries nearing $1 million:

(Richard Eckersley $390 000, Miguel Aceval $199 086, Jeremy Hall $149 000, Adrian Cann $134 750 and Ty Harden $98 666)

That's $971 502 being charged against the salary cap with only 2 of those players currently starting.

The other 2 starters:

(Doneil Henry $45 100 and Ashtone Morgan $44 000)

Do they even count against the salary cap?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think Lindsay (20th on this list) counts against the cap, if he was listed as injured for the season and before the season started.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm ok with most of the salaries.
    -For the amount of minutes Harden usually logs for us 90k really isn't that bad.
    -Ecks makes a lot for fullback in a league with such a small salary cap (it's more the cap I have an issue with here, outside of a cap Ecks is worth that much)
    -Dunfield is in the same boat as Harden. For the minutes he logs the compensation is fair.
    -Kocic, Lambe, the Academy graduates and draft picks are steals.
    i agree with a few of these but ive edited it down to the ones i dont. harden was called on as a backup, he was considered that as players returning from injury have since replaced him. he should've been getting paid as depth. same for dunfield. kocic is in the same boat, i think he's great, but frei would be starting in front of him. we're not paying him to be our starting keeper because he isn't our starting keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Man View Post
    ugh. ecks has been having a bad season and the loses don't help his temper at all. i think he was signed under the pretense that we'd be paying him to perform like he last season. don't get me wrong, he's still a good fullback, but at that price i'd expect him to be paid that much if he was at the form he was at last year. realistically (and without injury) we could run this team like the spurs. you have a starting XI with very few changes, but unfortunately the travel is too great and the league is too physical. id love if this team was run like the jays, giving a player the week off on rotating weeks to curb fatigue, but i don't think we have the tactical depth for that yet.

kinda like how they hired JDG to respond to both our calls for a canadian born player AND dp? fans know more about the club than anyone, but we're also not in charge of their paycheques. you'd be hard up to find a club in the league who'd pick him up at that wage.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also, MOD NOTE:
    what're everyones thoughts on merging this with bdkings current salary cap thread?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For all the Eckersley detractors out there, I'd focus on the wages that are NOT performing before shitting all over his contract. Sure $210k is steep, but he is a proven defender. That's something we've had a hard time coming by. The players I listed earlier are the ones we need to purge.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just saw frings near king and bay with a bleached blonde lady friend.

Maybe he's off to see a money manager!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    also, MOD NOTE:
    what're everyones thoughts on merging this with bdkings current salary cap thread?
    Don't do it.

If you have idle hands please fragment the in-season player movement thread on a per player basis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why are Silva and Maund's guaranteed salaries higher? Are 1st round MLS draft picks automatically given extra?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's kind of interesting when this list comes out. It's almost like the sunshine list for public sector employees, except for soccer fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dont' agree with that. Ecks is a quality defender, I'd take him over all them, his performance when he came on against Vancouver was as good a performance by a defender we have had in years. His wages are a tad high perhaps, but I wouldn't begrudge it. He is a quality right back, can't be easy when the centre of defence has been so poor this year and with so many different players tried out at CB it can't be easy to build chemistry. It was us the supporters who really made it known we wanted him after last season. Future captain material on a permanent basis.Gotta pay for quality, part of our problem is we are buying decent money to quite a few distinctly below average players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's kind of interesting when this list comes out.
    I believe so too. I view it as a window into TFC management's decision making. How are they managing the salary cap? Has management been making the right choices?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

then there is Mtl getting two ex Serie A defenders for 180k base salary
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am right there with you guys. Some of these figures are shocking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    This is why MLS annoys me.

1) Making salaries public...
    2) ...and then seeing so many of them are shitty ones. The league has one of the highest average football attendances, has a brand new TV deal with NBC, yet none of that money is going to the players.
    Well, I'm sure MLS wouldn't want to the salaries released at all. Whenever there's a signing the team never releases details.
    But the union releases it to make people aware.

Also, the minimums are collectively bargained numbers. If the players don't like it, they should hold out for more next time the contract is up. Nonetheless, minimums have gone up a lot since 2007. There were guys on 2007 teams making $12,900.

The thing the union knows: if the cap goes up significantly, many of its members at the back end will be out of jobs completely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True, it is shocking how much Ecks is getting paid but he is only 23. I look at it as an investment in the future as he is still improving and will hopefully be entering his prime in a TFC kit as he has a lot of potential in this league with his tenacity, athleticism and physicality. It’s not like the 400k is being put towards a 30 something who will be out of here in a couple years. I would be interested in what his contract length is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally agree. At my town hall last fall, they were told so many times that we need to sign Eckersley I wouldn't be able to count it on one hand. They were feeling that pressure. I don't think he's a bad player - if he could ever play smarter, he'd be a very good player. But second highest in MLS is too much. The opportunity cost of that is huge too.
    TFC signed Plata and Eckersley as they were both our best players last season, consistently! I don't think its down to fan pressure! Anybody could see that those two players were the stand out players last season! It made total sense to want to sign both of them!

Eckersley is for sure the best overall defender TFC have ever had. He's got the best technical ability, and is the best tackler we have had at the club. Plus, at 22, he's still got a big future ahead of himself in the game. It made total sense, and still does, to try and sign the guy, no matter how much $ we have to pay him.

Eckersley turned the game on Wednesday, his movement going down the right changed the game! I'd say Eck's has repaid his worth this season already!