Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    To make it worse, much worse for longtime Whitecaps fans, don't forget that before the Nutrilite/Amway tourney, the Voyageurs Cup was awarded based on D-2 play. The Whitecaps futility streak for the Voyageurs Cup actually lasts for 10 long, long years. That's quite amazing when you consider that during that entire time, only between 2 and 5 teams were ever in the running. Actually only 2 clubs have ever hoisted the trophy, the Limpact and TFC.
    Wow, that's amazing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^Yep, 7 straight wins for the Impact starting in 2002, 4 straight wins for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    they should all be back for KC by then
    1-0-10 Will be our record after June 16th then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    ^Yep, 7 straight wins for the Impact starting in 2002, 4 straight wins for us.
    I guess we need to win the next 4. We are the record smashers!

Quote Originally Posted by Tee Ef See View Post
    1-0-10 Will be our record after June 16th then.
    Not so sure. SKC is winless in 4 with SJ coming to town. They have lost that early season form

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Not so sure. SKC is winless in 4 with SJ coming to town. They have lost that early season form
    They lost to Montreal, cause the Impact played the 10-1 formation after going up a goal.
    And Collins cost a PK in the Montreal and Chicago games. Espinoza getting a red in Chicago too. And SKC without Espinoza is like SKC without a mid. He is a beast and it showed against Colorado.

I know all about their last 4 games, and if you watched the games you would know that they were the best team regardless of the results.

Best team in MLS especially with a full lineup, which they haven't had the last little while.

Either way, I'm confident TFC can pull off a win vs Philly, and hopefully they can muster some points vs SKC. That would be a HUGE morale/confidence boost.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lobo View Post
    terrible game? hardly any forward play? midfield melee? ugly to watch? ..... wtf, seriously????

no need to listen to your anything-but-MLS snob friends ... hell if they don't like football games that feature mid-field battles, i'm not sure there is any league in the world gonna satisfy them ... sorry, but your friend's opinions are garbage, especially if they base it on a single game, a cup final to be exact, which are almost always (in any country or league) hard-fought, grinding games with a lot of play at mid-field .... maybe your friends simply prefer nice friendly games with lots of attacking and no emotion, seems to be more their style
    if you thought that was a pretty game to watch, in any shape or form, then you need to do the "you are crazy" emoticon to yourself! It wasn't pretty at all!

and who said my friends were "anything but MLS snobs"? They've seen a number of games between them (one friend watches all the TFC games on the TV!) but just never BEEN to a TFC game in person.

I agree with them tho - it wasn't pretty to watch at all. If I wasn't a hardcore fan, I would think the game was awful to watch! It was just the fact that I wanted TFC to win so badly that I thought it was exciting. To a neutral, it was a pretty bad game!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Not everyone has an EPL or la liga to attend. Most football fans world-wide have to accept something less when it comes to live football. Enjoy it for what it is.

you don't have to tell me that! I'm a yellow-and-blue blooded Oxford United fan (League 2) and I'll NEVER support another English team (I will never support a EPL team in the premiership unless its Oxford). I watched games when they were in the conference, and I'd support them if they were in a Blue Square South league! But I know a free flowing football game when I see one, and last night wasn't one of them!

But as I said, I'll take an ugly hard to watch win for TFC right now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone thinks 85% of MLS games are free flowing they are nuts.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone else been listening to Red City Ramblers today? I've hit the play button on "The Legend TFC", "Toronto Through And Through" and "12 Of May" at least half a dozen times today.

http://www.myspace.com/redcityramblers

Now about that trophy Mr. DeMerit...........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are the worst team in the world but the best in Canada has to made into a chant.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    We are the worst team in the world but the best in Canada has to made into a chant.
    There's an old christian gospel song" He's got the whole world in his hands" that works quite nicely:
    We are the worst tee-eam in the World
    But the best in Canada

repeat ad nauseum.

So...when is the scarf coming out? "Worst Team in the World" on one side and "Voyageurs Cup Champions 2012" on the other?
    Last edited by Huyton; 05-24-2012 at 05:51 PM.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huyton View Post
    There's an old christian gospel song" He's got the whole world in his hands" that works quite nicely:
    But the best in Canada

repeat ad nauseum.
    Absolutely perfect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    It is hard for me to understand how this is not clear to everybody.

The answer seems so clear.
    There is no logic to saying "they showed they can be good, so 0-9 is on the coach." That's one of many potential arguments. Another would "our players are smart enough to hold the ball in his system with the space from 10 v. 10, but not smart enough to do it quickly 11 v. 11. Ergo we have the wrong players."

In fact, that would make more sense than "they're a good team that loses, ergo the good team part is the players and the losing part is the coach." Substantially more.

Last night they eliminated the dumb mistakes (for the most part. Vancouver only had four shots, but two of those were headers on blow coverage again).

Again, not an endorsement of Winter. Perhaps it's just not a system suited to MLS and he should have amended it long before now.

But look at how close some of those games were, and how we are often statistically dead-even with the other team, and the losses come down to the small fuckups. That's a player issue first.

It's a coach issue, too, because he has to reduce the problem; but if the player's aren't quick thinkers in a league like MLS then, as some suggest, changing the coach without weeding out the weak players is useless.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great post, jloome.

Also, did anyone see that Davidson's ridiculous embellishment of the JDG slap was the lead in to this evenings Sportscentre Top 10 (of the best sports dives)? Whitecaps fans must be embarassed.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    There is no logic to saying "they showed they can be good, so 0-9 is on the coach." That's one of many potential arguments. Another would "our players are smart enough to hold the ball in his system with the space from 10 v. 10, but not smart enough to do it quickly 11 v. 11. Ergo we have the wrong players."

In fact, that would make more sense than "they're a good team that loses, ergo the good team part is the players and the losing part is the coach." Substantially more.

Last night they eliminated the dumb mistakes (for the most part. Vancouver only had four shots, but two of those were headers on blow coverage again).

Again, not an endorsement of Winter. Perhaps it's just not a system suited to MLS and he should have amended it long before now.

But look at how close some of those games were, and how we are often statistically dead-even with the other team, and the losses come down to the small fuckups. That's a player issue first.

It's a coach issue, too, because he has to reduce the problem; but if the player's aren't quick thinkers in a league like MLS then, as some suggest, changing the coach without weeding out the weak players is useless.
    We've also played quite a few more games than every other MLS team. Most of those early losses came with just a couple of days rest after playing high pressure, draining CCL games - after that the losses and the problems seemed to snowball. We have also travelled way more than probably any other team, including to Mexico.

Again, not making excuses or endorsing Winter, but there is a context that other MLS teams haven't had to deal with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YES! I love that the "Worst Team In the World" has become a meme. It'd be great for everyone if we all wore it as a badge, players fans and owners alike. Maybe it'd loosen up the sphincters enough to have a good game. I swear, TFC only plays well when everyone fully expects them to lose. Lord help them if someone thinks they can do it though haha.

Thanks for this thread. I railed on the posting in the forum a few days ago, the jokes and smack talk in this thread are exactly why this is the only message board I'm a member of.

I still haven't stopped laughing. I'm on record many times arguing that it'd be better for us to lose this tournament than win it, but that was before 0-9-0 and before 'yesterday. Given the circumstances, that has to be in our top 3 'biggest win ever' discussions. Now make it roll to saturday!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like that we are having fun with, and owning the "worst team in the world" thing, instead of letting other people get us down with it. That said, I think making scarves with it might be taking things too far.

It's good that we are owning it, but we still need to keep in mind that we should be extremely unhappy about it as fans.

- Scott

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But the best in Canada

repeat ad nauseum.

So...when is the scarf coming out? "Worst Team in the World" on one side and "Voyageurs Cup Champions 2012" on the other?
    Brilliant song/chant.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too bad it was offside, but how about that Soolsma goal? I thought it was awesome, so well taken.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

taking a browse through the Southsiders game thread (seriously, they think THEY are dealing with tough times?! lmao. Their heads are even further up their asses than I thought they were), thought this was an interesting point given both the conversation the past few weeks and that banner that got pulled from 112 or 111 during the anthem

"Nobody was in a tougher situation than TFC. They had players, Canadian players, step up and win the cup. Blaming congestion, the referrees, or anything else other than a lack of passion is ridiculous."

Emphasis mine
    Last edited by Waggy; 05-24-2012 at 07:21 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I like that we are having fun with, and owning the "worst team in the world" thing, instead of letting other people get us down with it. That said, I think making scarves with it might be taking things too far.

It's good that we are owning it, but we still need to keep in mind that we should be extremely unhappy about it as fans.

- Scott
    Scott...first off, may I say I have a huge amount of respect for most of the things you say, but in this case, I think you're wrong.

One of the things that TFC originally wanted was for this club to grow organically...to find it's own identity without it being forced by some marketing guru.

In a search for an identity, something that separates us from all the other teams out there in North America, I think it would be great to adopt something that is a little self-deprecating.

It is something that we could certainly have a lot of fun with. From singing "You got beat by the worst team in the World, the worst team in the world, the worst team in the World", to wearing it proudly on T-Shirts, I think that this is exactly what is needed to forge an identity.

I'd love a T-Shirt with Wowzers graphic on it as a commemoration of this moment.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    that banner that got pulled from 112 or 111 during the anthem
    I had to work and wasn't at the game. What was the banner?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QBall View Post
    Anyone know how I can send Davidson a big bottle of Massengill? I don't want his vagina to feel not-so-fresh on top of being bitch slapped and then losing to a winless team yesterday. Let's show some consideration folks.
    POST OF THE DAY!

Speaking of Massengill, perhaps Davidson can star in their next commercial, seems perfect for the part.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scott...first off, may I say I have a huge amount of respect for most of the things you say, but in this case, I think you're wrong.

One of the things that TFC originally wanted was for this club to grow organically...to find it's own identity without it being forced by some marketing guru.

In a search for an identity, something that separates us from all the other teams out there in North America, I think it would be great to adopt something that is a little self-deprecating.

It is something that we could certainly have a lot of fun with. From singing "You got beat by the worst team in the World, the worst team in the world, the worst team in the World", to wearing it proudly on T-Shirts, I think that this is exactly what is needed to forge an identity.

I'd love a T-Shirt with Wowzers graphic on it as a commemoration of this moment.
    It may be a moniker that is funny and fun to adopt looking back from the future, but I feel that supporters putting it on scarves and t-shirts right now when we still are 0-9 in the league, is kind of taking the joke full circle and turning it back on ourselves.

We should be upset about being the "worst team in the world" - a statement that was uttered by an utterly dejected Danny Koevermans after our latest loss - not wearing it proudly. It was fun, and funny, after our 0-9 team made Vancouver eat it, en route to winning the Voyageurs Cup again - I just think if we run with it past that, at least at the moment, the joke is on us again.

And again - I get the humour of it, after beating Vancouver. I posted a couple of the meme pictures.

- Scott

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Great post, jloome.

Also, did anyone see that Davidson's ridiculous embellishment of the JDG slap was the lead in to this evenings Sportscentre Top 10 (of the best sports dives)? Whitecaps fans must be embarassed.

- Scott
    Certainly one of the better dives I've seen. I think that ranks right up there with Rivaldo in the 2002 World Cup!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

But the best in Canada

repeat ad nauseum.

Would be great to start singing this if we're up by two goals vs. Philly with less than 10 mins. remaining.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It may be a moniker that is funny and fun to adopt looking back from the future, but I feel that supporters putting it on scarves and t-shirts right now when we still are 0-9 in the league, is kind of taking the joke full circle and turning it back on ourselves.

We should be upset about being the "worst team in the world" - a statement that was uttered by an utterly dejected Danny Koevermans after our latest loss - not wearing it proudly. It was fun, and funny, after our 0-9 team made Vancouver eat it, en route to winning the Voyageurs Cup again - I just think if we run with it past that, at least at the moment, the joke is on us again.

And again - I get the humour of it, after beating Vancouver. I posted a couple of the meme pictures.

- Scott
    Fair enough. Perhaps I'm letting my good feelings over beating Vancouver get the best of me.

If we win on Saturday, though, I'm chanting "You got beat by the worst team in the world" at Philadelphia.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair enough. Perhaps I'm letting my good feelings over beating Vancouver get the best of me.

If we win on Saturday, though, I'm chanting "You got beat by the worst team in the world" at Philadelphia.
    As long as we keep winning, I'll keep posting meme pictures about it too. I just think we need to remember the origins of that title, the context in which it was stated, and that this morning we were still 0-9 in the league.

And you could suffer a far worse fate than letting good feelings get the best of you. When it comes to this team , I wish it happened more often.

- Scott