Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dubious TFC facts and stats

I am working on a little project to put together a list of TFC related dubious facts and stats over our first five years that help show why it's been so hard to be a TFC supporter. Things like:

· TFC is the only team in Major League Soccer to go 5 years without making the playoffs (think this is true)
    · We have never had a winning season.
    · 6 coaches have graced the sideline at BMO Field in just 5 full years of play.
    · TFC holds the record for the most players to step foot on the pitch in a single MLS season (39 players in 2011).
    · We had Mo Johnston.

This is a start. Would love to get other dubious and funny facts and/or stats about the team that you guys may have. Let's face it, in the absence of any real news from the team, there's not that much else to discuss anyway!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Formation:Formed in 2006 as Toronto FC when MLS announced they would compete in Major League Soccer in 2007

Ground:BMO Field, Exhibition Place, Toronto. Capacity 21,800. BMO is the 5th stadium to be built on this site over the years. It was built as part of Canada’s (successful) bid to host the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup.

First Game as TFC:March 24th 2007, Carolina Challenge Cup, Blackbaud Stadium, Charleston, SC. Toronto FC 0-2 Houston Dynamo. Goals: Cochrane, Wondolowski. Attendance: 3183

First Competitive game (MLS):April 7th 2007, MLS, Home Depot Center, Carson City, California. Chivas USA 2-0 Toronto FC. Goals: Razov, Kljestan. Attendance: 14351. Referee: Terry Vaughan

First Competitive game (NCC):May 27th 2008, Canadian Championship, Saputo Stadium, Montreal. Montreal Impact 0-1 Toronto FC. Goal: Marco Velez. Attendance: 12083. Referee: Paul Ward

First Competitive game (CCL):July 29th 2009, Concacaf Champions League Preliminary Rd. BMO Stadium, Toronto. Toronto FC 0-1 Puerto Rico Islanders. Goal: Jagdeosingh. Attendance 20,758. Referee: Hugo Cruz

Courtesy of TFCPics....

What stadium did Toronto FC call home when they joined MLS in 2006?
    • BMO Field. With an expanded capacity of 20,522 (Aug. 5th, 2007), BMO Field was the largest soccer-specific stadium in Canada and home to Toronto FC. Located in Exhibition Place on Toronto's lake shore, the stadium was completed in early 2007.
    Who became the first ever head coach of Toronto FC when he signed on in August 2006?
    • Mo Johnston. Former Scottish, English, and French league star Mo Johnston came to MLS in 1996 where he spent 6 seasons as a member of the Kansas City Wizards before retiring in 2001. After a brief stint as head coach of Red Bull New York in 2006, Johnston was hired as the first ever head coach of Toronto FC.
    Who was signed as the first Toronto FC player in the club's history?
    • Jim Brennan. Canadian international Jim Brennan was signed September 8th 2006, by coach Mo Johnston after being released by Southampton the previous May. Adam Braz was signed shortly after Jim Brennan, Ronnie O'Brien was acquired in a trade with FC Dallas, and Maurice Edu was Toronto FC's first ever draft pick.
    Who became Toronto FC's first ever draft pick when he was selected first overall in the 2007 MLS Super Draft?
    • Maurice Edu. Former University of Maryland All-American star Maurice Edu gave up his final year of NCAA eligibility in 2007 to turn professional and enter the MLS Super Draft.
    Who scored the first ever goal for Toronto FC on 12th May 2007 against the Chicago Fire in the 24th minute?
    • Danny Dichio. After 384 scoreless minutes to start the season, newly acquired striker Danny Dichio notched TFCs first ever goal. Play was subsequently delayed as fans at BMO Field celebrated by throwing Frisbee-like seat cushions on to the pitch.
    Who was selected as Toronto's only starting All-Star in the 2007 MLS All-Star Game?
    • Ronnie O'Brien. After no TFC players were selected by the voting process (33% fans, 33% sports media, 33% league), MLS All-Star team manager Steve Nicol hand-picked O'Brien as one of his coach's selections. Strikers Danny Dichio and Jeff Cunningham as well as Jim Brennan were later added as reserves.
    What colours were chosen for the Toronto FC crest and home/away kit in the team's inaugural 2007 season?
    • Red, White and Gray. MLSE chose a classic shield/crest combination for the Toronto FC logo featuring the Red and White of Canada with a contrasting gray.
    What company became the official jersey sponsor of TFC in 2007, featuring their logo on the chest of the home/away kit?
    • Bank of Montreal. Bank of Montreal also purchased the naming rights to the National Soccer Stadium built at Exhibition Place in Toronto. However, for the FIFA U20 World Cup held in Canada the summer of 2007, the field was called the National Soccer Stadium due to FIFA regulations.
    What corporation owned and operated Toronto FC in 2007?
    • Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment. MLSE also owned and operated the Toronto Maple Leafs, Toronto Raptors, Toronto Marlies, as well as the Air Canada Center and several digital cable channels.
    Which of the following were Toronto FC affiliated supporters clubs in the inaugural season?
    • They are all TFC supporters clubs. U-Sector was founded in 2000 to support Toronto and Canadian soccer teams, taking their name from Section U of Toronto's old Varsity Stadium. The Red Patch Boys were founded by local soccer fans with the creation of Toronto FC as a group dedicated to supporting the team inside the stadium, around the Toronto area and on the road. The name is derived from a Canadian military unit that became known to axis forces in WWII as "Red Patch Devils". Tribal Rhythm Nation is a club representing the multicultural side of Toronto
    Last edited by tfcmanu; 02-23-2012 at 01:32 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC is the only club that had a truck driver and 39 year-old amateur player as an emergency call-up for a game. (Rick Titus. The infamous game against Chivas, September 2008).

TFC holds the longest goal-less drought in MLS history within one season (2007, Mo as coach).
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is one for you

https://twitter.com/#!/OptaJack/stat...68196645838848

402 - Toronto FC touched the ball 402 times in the opposition penalty area in MLS 2011; fewer than any other side. Downfall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Ha, those last two are good. Found this one on wiki:

In the 2009 season they only scored 2 goals in the final 15 minutes of games all season (last in MLS). During the same 15 minute period, they gave up 16 goals (most in MLS), thus creating a −14 goal differential during the final 15 minutes.

Must be something related to most games abandoned in one season due to weather.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    ^ Ha, those last two are good. Found this one on wiki:

In the 2009 season they only scored 2 goals in the final 15 minutes of games all season (last in MLS). During the same 15 minute period, they gave up 16 goals (most in MLS), thus creating a −14 goal differential during the final 15 minutes.

Must be something related to most games abandoned in one season due to weather.
    If I remember right, we missed the playoffs in 2009 however if games ended at 75 minutes instead of 90 we would have been the 1 seed in the eastern conference. We dropped like 16 or 17 points in the final 15 of games that year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

danny diccio scored the first and last goal in the season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ensco recently posted some stat about TFC's record streak of futility, but I can't find it.

Anyway, since ensco makes up stats 47% of the time, I would take it with a grain of salt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by levyashin View Post
    danny diccio scored the first and last goal in the season.
    So did Jim Brennan in 2009.

There's actually a wiki article with a lot of our records.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_FC_records
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 02-23-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: fixed link for you - wasn't working

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man we suck.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmmm

Not sure the point of this thread. Looks like something more suited for a thread on the opposition's fan site.

We have a less than adequate past, is that the point?

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Is everyone using a definition for 'Dubious' that I'm unfamiliar with ?
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    TFC is the only club that had a truck driver and 39 year-old amateur player as an emergency call-up for a game. (Rick Titus. The infamous game against Chivas, September 2008).

TFC holds the longest goal-less drought in MLS history within one season (2007, Mo as coach).
    and the longest ever to start a season (I presume that still stands) from 2007.

To be pedantic it was 38 MLS players in 2011 (still a record, used to be 36). 40 in all competitions but griffit and robinson were only in ccl.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

However, to brighten the mood, RSL has the record for the longest goal-less streak crossing more than one season, and yet after Kreis they won the MLS Cup.@
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pigfynn View Post
    Hmmmm

Not sure the point of this thread. Looks like something more suited for a thread on the opposition's fan site.

"I'm not seeing anything on German history from 1939-1945, there's just a big gap?" "Everyone was on vacation!" "Wait what are you talking about, Germany invaded Poland in 1939." "We were invited! Punch was served. Check with Poland!" "You can't just ignore those years" "I will hear no more insinuations about Toronto FC in the Mo reich! Nothing bad happened! Sie werden sich hinsetzen! Sie werden ruhig sein! Sie werden nicht beleidigen Deutschland!" *

Hey, a records a record. We earned em we should claim our rightful place in the history of this league haha. Besides when we're the MLS equivalent to Ajax in terms of cup wins it'll be a hilarious anecdote

* replace Deutschland with Mo Fantasy Land, Poland with Columbus and Germany 1939-1945 with Toronto FC 2007-2010. Too far? (Edit for people who don't get the reference http://video.canadiancontent.net/437...rman-tour.html)
    Last edited by Waggy; 02-23-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not about not acknowledging those years...I think we, more then any have acknowledged the shit out of them.

No?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not about not acknowledging those years...I think we, more then any have acknowledged the shit out of them.

No?

Maybe this is just a bloodletting, a cleansing of the soul prior to our triumphant ascent to world football dominance?

OK, maybe a little ambitious but you get my drift.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    Maybe this is just a bloodletting, a cleansing of the soul prior to our triumphant ascent to world football dominance?

OK, maybe a little ambitious but you get my drift.
    Oh god I hope so...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a bad feeling the CCL game will be another.

It's just so Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No?

I'd look at it like. um. ok, say you are in a terrible long term relationship. Eventually you give up and end it, of course you wind up HATING the girl (or guy, whatever). You look back on all the shit she said and did that should have set off alarm bells everywhere and sent you running for the hills, but didn't and you kick yourself. You think back on stuff and get mad, looking for different POV's to see what you could have done or said differently or whatever.

But eventually you meet a new girl, and at first you're looking everywhere for those same warning signs, the first indication that you fucked up again (Hi roogsy!!!). But eventually you relax, forget the last one and focus on the girl you've got. And then when you look back at the time with the first girl its to laugh about how fucking stupid and naive you were. I'd like to think we finally hit that stage and have moved on and seperated from our Mo-xiety. Instead of rehashing our past trying to assign blame or figure out what went wrong or cry into our beers, its just to have a laugh at just how historically shitty we were. Plus if we can laugh about the stuff ourselves how could other teams fans try and make fun of us for it?

Besides, one day we'll be able to say that Toronto FC was setting MLS records right from the start

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As an aside- it's kind of amazing how many times over the years I've drawn on the horrible relationship example for how we view our relationship with TFC. I really really hope those days are in the past for good.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The "bad" records are what they are. They'll always be there as a reminder of fallow years.

However, I prefer to think of the good times from years past - Dichio's first goal, and the screamer to end the first season; the pitch invasion at the end of 2007; smashing 4 past Dallas; beating Cruz Azul and the jumping post game sing along outside Gate 3 afterwards; the line up for De Rosario's autograph after he was signed. Sure people have others.

Anyway, don't want to derail the thread. Have we got the record for longest in-game delay in an MLS league game after the seat cushion throwing? That would be a good "dubious" record to have...

EDIT - what about striker with most goalless minutes in a season? Defenders with most goals conceded while on the pitch? We must have some contenders for those "awards"...
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Longest in-game MLS delay would probably be one of those power outages in the Home Depot Center or elsewhere... Or at least those were longer than the seat-cushion delay, not sure what the max would be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    I was thinking this too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    "I'm not seeing anything on German history from 1939-1945, there's just a big gap?" "Everyone was on vacation!" "Wait what are you talking about, Germany invaded Poland in 1939." "We were invited! Punch was served. Check with Poland!" "You can't just ignore those years" "I will hear no more insinuations about Toronto FC in the Mo reich! Nothing bad happened! Sie werden sich hinsetzen! Sie werden ruhig sein! Sie werden nicht beleidigen Deutschland!" *

Hey, a records a record. We earned em we should claim our rightful place in the history of this league haha. Besides when we're the MLS equivalent to Ajax in terms of cup wins it'll be a hilarious anecdote

* replace Deutschland with Mo Fantasy Land, Poland with Columbus and Germany 1939-1945 with Toronto FC 2007-2010. Too far? (Edit for people who don't get the reference http://video.canadiancontent.net/437...man-tour.html)
    So long as Mo doesn't get a talk show, we're fine!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    du·bi·ous

adj \ˈdü-bē-əs also dyü-\
    questionable or suspect as to true nature or quality

no, most are under the assumption that we're posting true facts about our teams shameful past.

using words when we don't know what they mean fail .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    I have a bad feeling the CCL game will be another.

It's just so Toronto.
    Ah, you've just to turn off the Leafs games.

TFC is not going into this game unprepared.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmmm

I'm writing something on how hard it's been to be a TFC fan these 5 years. It actually turned out to be fun and interesting to find these "records." It'll be that much sweeter for all of us who have stuck around behind this team.

Dubious also means "questionable" by the way. And a record is a list of achievements. So a "list of questionable achievements" might be another way to put it. If we need to parse language. Now I see I wrote "facts" instead of "records" so I see where people are getting confused. Dubious facts could be fun too though. I still firmly believe Mo Johnston picked up Maicon Santos because he thought he was Maicon.

Btw, it was inspired by a similar thing someone did for Man City. Now THAT's a list! Just some of the good ones:

In 1957-58, Manchester City scored 104 goals and conceded 100 in Division 1, the only occasion that a club has both scored and conceded 100 goals in a league season.
    Denis Law had scored all 6 of City's goals against Luton Town in a 4th Round FA Cup tie at Kenilworth Road on 28th January 1961 when the match was abandoned at 6-2. He also scored in the replay but City lost 3-1.
    In 1925-26 they were relegated having scored more goals (89) than any other relegated club in history.

Stuff like that.
    Last edited by Canary10; 02-24-2012 at 09:35 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to see the stats on how many goals we have scored from a corner.

my guess is either 1, or possibly up to 2.

seriously hate the way we take corners.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    So long as Mo doesn't get a talk show, we're fine!
    He already had one but lost it along with his "Director of Soccer" position.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 02-24-2012 at 10:33 AM.