0 Thread(s)

Default Pregame/ In Game: 19 May Toronto FC at DC United

TFC vs DC at RFK
    2011: 3-3 D
    2010: 3-2 W
    2009: 3-3 D
    2008: 4-1 L, 3-2 L
    2007: 4-1 L

Whatever happens, there will be goals in this game. Though unbeaten in last 3 trips to RFK is encouraging. And although DC beat Colorado 2-0 at RFK, they didn't look very impressive doing it.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, 5 or 6 goals scored in every game at RFK.

Mo Edu scored one of the prettiest goals in TFC history at RFK. It was a sensational looping header from distance but was utterly meaningless, late in a game we were losing 4-0.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Wow, 5 or 6 goals scored in every game at RFK.

Mo Edu scored one of the prettiest goals in TFC history at RFK. It was a sensational looping header from distance but was utterly meaningless, late in a game we were losing 4-0.
    yep. that was in 08. I remember in 09 DeRo score a brace

One of more exciting games in TFC history
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be happy with the first point of the season.

2-2.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I won't be happy with anything less than a statement win. I won't be pissed if we get a draw on the road, but I won't exactly be happy either.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still remember that game at DC where Laurent Robert came in and looked great... making passes, contributing... was that his first game with TFC?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think its even possible to predict how TFC will play in this one?! I honestly have no idea!

My heart, as always, is saying that they will carry on their cup performance and get a good result. My head is telling me that DC will wipe us out and DeRo will continue his revenge!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ACC Final is far more important than this match given our current position in the MLS standings. I would prefer that Winter rests some of our key starters in anticipation of the second leg against Vancouver, although that is unlikely considering that his job is still on the line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With DC's form right now, a draw would be a big result for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    I still remember that game at DC where Laurent Robert came in and looked great... making passes, contributing... was that his first game with TFC?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    and soon after, his GAF factor steadily went down...

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ he was outstanding in that game.

And then he gave up shortly afterwards and clearly wished he had already retired!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    oh laurent robert. i actually wanted your name on my jersey.

to contribute...i'm not expecting a statement win. would be nice, but we're on the road against a pretty decent team - let's be realistic?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need a win. If we do not get a win soon, realistically the season is as good as done. Yes, if we were 3-4-1 or even 2-3-3 then we could say a draw is fine, but we are 0-8, and anything other then a win puts are further back vis a vis our small playoff hopes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DC United 2 - 3 TFC

DC United - both goals by DeRo
    TFC - Frings from the spot, DK, and Plata

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny we'll be facing more Canadians this weekend than in next Wed's Canadian tournament.

Also: Both #14s? huh.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    We need a win. If we do not get a win soon, realistically the season is as good as done. Yes, if we were 3-4-1 or even 2-3-3 then we could say a draw is fine, but we are 0-8, and anything other then a win puts are further back vis a vis our small playoff hopes.
    We do need a win no doubt, but after last MLB season, you can't throw in the towel until the math says so. And that league has no parity like the MLS.

It sounds foolish to some, but there's no team in MLS, including Toronto, that's incapable of reeling off a string of results regardless of league opponent.

Hypothetically speaking, we win 2 games and we have 6pts at 10GP. NE has 12pts and 10GP currently. 6pts out with 24 matches left...season is far from over in that scenario. DC will be tough, but that Philly home date after is very good opportunity for 3. One step at a time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    We do need a win no doubt, but after last MLB season, you can't throw in the towel until the math says so. And that league has no parity like the MLS.

It sounds foolish to some, but there's no team in MLS, including Toronto, that's incapable of reeling off a string of results regardless of league opponent.

Hypothetically speaking, we win 2 games and we have 6pts at 10GP. NE has 12pts and 10GP currently. 6pts out with 24 matches left...season is far from over in that scenario. DC will be tough, but that Philly home date after is very good opportunity for 3. One step at a time.
    I love your optimism, but its fairly unrealistic in so many ways! After we play 2 more games, then New England will also then have played 2 more, and who's to say they won't have at least 3 more points on the board.

For TFC to get to the playoffs at this stage, they not only have to go on an almightly good run, but they have to do it by beating some extremely difficult teams away from home. That's why its mostly unrealistic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My prediction - with TFC having one eye on the Vancouver game, I can see DC winning fairly easy this time. 3-1 to DC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    I love your optimism, but its fairly unrealistic in so many ways! After we play 2 more games, then New England will also then have played 2 more, and who's to say they won't have at least 3 more points on the board.

For TFC to get to the playoffs at this stage, they not only have to go on an almightly good run, but they have to do it by beating some extremely difficult teams away from home. That's why its mostly unrealistic.
    NE has 2 more GP. Between now and season end we play 2 more games. Didn't think that was hard to understand?

TFC had to get road results in difficult places throughout CCL, they did it there no? It's not impossible. Confidence and momentum can do wonders if the ball gets rolling.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I predict a board meltdown at approx. 8:55 pm EDT on Saturday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I predict a board meltdown at approx. 8:55 pm EDT on Saturday.
    Psst. That'll be about the 70 min mark.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Psst. That'll be about the 70 min mark.
    Oops sorry bad math, I should have said approx. 9:25 pm EDT on Saturday, allowing for half time, injury time, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Oops sorry bad math, I should have said approx. 9:25 pm EDT on Saturday, allowing for half time, injury time, etc.
    For the heck of it, because we are Toronto, I'll counter your 9:25pm meltdown with a 9:25pm meeting to start planning a Championship parade down Bay St.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I couldn't care less if Winter starts the entire reserve squad and TFC gets pounded in DC. TFC has to earn a positive result in the second leg against Vancouver or the rest of this year is a write off.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny...I am not on either side of thes projections. I think this game will be a draw. TFC has confidence coming out of a decent result in Vancouver and DC have been inconsistent, on fire one game and clumsy the next. Still, a win is a difficult thing to get on the road, so I am thinking 2-2. We have been getting points at RFK lately and I see no reason why it should not continue. The good? The first league points of the season. The bad? It pretty much seals the league season as being over.

The truth is that the only thing left to play for is the ACC/CCL.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NE has 2 more GP. Between now and season end we play 2 more games. Didn't think that was hard to understand?

TFC had to get road results in difficult places throughout CCL, they did it there no? It's not impossible. Confidence and momentum can do wonders if the ball gets rolling.
    No, I understand that. But games in hand are only useful if you actually win them! With TFC's current record of 0-8, what are the chances that we are actually going to win those 2 extra games and catch up with NE?!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Funny...I am not on either side of thes projections. I think this game will be a draw. TFC has confidence coming out of a decent result in Vancouver and DC have been inconsistent, on fire one game and clumsy the next. Still, a win is a difficult thing to get on the road, so I am thinking 2-2. We have been getting points at RFK lately and I see no reason why it should not continue. The good? The first league points of the season. The bad? It pretty much seals the league season as being over.

The truth is that the only thing left to play for is the ACC/CCL.
    We are kind of at the point where ANY of the next defeats seals the season! Really, its only a matter of time! If we get to mid June with no more than 6 points (which is realistic), then we are going to be VERY far behind!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    No, I understand that. But games in hand are only useful if you actually win them! With TFC's current record of 0-8, what are the chances that we are actually going to win those 2 extra games and catch up with NE?!
    The same as if we won't?

There's 3 results in football whether you're 8-0 or 0-8. SKC won 7 straight, then lost 2 to inferior teams and at home. Is that any different than TFC losing 8 straight then winning on the road?

Winning and losing isn't forever. Every game is a new day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4-1 dc....