Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    The only difference is in the manner Hassli scores. He's had 2 shots like that in 2 years. Some players go their whole careers without one like that and that's to his credit but his 2 in 9 this year isn't that much more impressive than DK's 1 in 5.

Before we go crazy overstating the manner of his goals 10 in 26 last year to DK's 8 in 10.
    Yep.

Does THAT extra money also pay for 17 game scoreless droughts? (or however long it was) Two sides of the coin here!

Having DK up there to receive passes and distribute out to the wings has been sorely missed, it showed in his limited time last night. Can't wait to bolster our squad with Frings for the final.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All strikers are streaky. I have not written off Koeverman's but Vancouver's depth at striker is really impressive, that's why Hassli is struggling for minutes. I have also read on the Vancouver boards that he and Rennie may be having issues.

I would trade Koevs for Hassli in a flash.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Hassli goal started from a really questionable foul called on Soolsma. That said, that was a scorcher. Hats off to him. His goal last year didn't get goal of the year because people thought it was lucky. Seeing that last night, I don't think so.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say for Dunfield that and a desperation to prove to us he should've moved from Vancouver put SO MUCH aggression in his game. Like, playing for his job kind of aggression. Replay showed him absolutely assaulting his opposition. He was lucky to stay on the pitch but great effort.
    It's like he was motivated or something...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    All strikers are streaky. I have not written off Koeverman's but Vancouver's depth at striker is really impressive, that's why Hassli is struggling for minutes. I have also read on the Vancouver boards that he and Rennie may be having issues.

That's crazy. Koevermans is TWICE the striker Hassli is. His current strike rate is TWICE as good and his historical strike rate is FOUR TIMES as good.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    Hassli has 2 goals in 9 league appearances for Vancouver....and pretty much why he is coming off the bench. Not saying he isn't good, but just because he scores "big flashy goals" doesn't make him better or worse that Koevermans. I do agree with you however that he does have that big finish though. Personally I'll still take Koevermans in a heartbeat.
    Hassli showed last year that he was INCREDIBLY streaky. Not only did he score only 10 in 26, he put most of them in at the beginning of the year and finished off the season with a whimper.

I am not sure that people truly understand how streaky strikers really are. That's why I believe Koevs will definitely catch fire at some point this year and bag 5 in 6 or something like that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a push for me between Hassli and Koevs. Koev has been off to a slow start, but he has also had some fitness and health issues, yet still managed roughly the same strike rate so far this season, and a far better one last season. Of course, Hassli is also cheaper, and not at the end of his career.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As mentioned in other threads, defenders gravitate to Koevs freeing up space on the wings. He will contribute endlessly to our team in many ways.

Sorry for repeating myself, but any clue what Koevs was up to when hassling Cannon. I can't find a vid. or commentary on it. Very funny though!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Hassli showed last year that he was INCREDIBLY streaky. Not only did he score only 10 in 26, he put most of them in at the beginning of the year and finished off the season with a whimper.

I am not sure that people truly understand how streaky strikers really are. That's why I believe Koevs will definitely catch fire at some point this year and bag 5 in 6 or something like that.
    Yeah, Hassli garners a lot of attention outside Vancouver due to his small handful of really beautiful goals, but what gets lost in that publicity is the fact that he's super streaky, and didn't do much down the stretch.

I'm not worried about Koevs. He just needs a chance to get back into the routine of playing a lot, and a team at his back that isn't playing like an 0-8 squad.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hassli is only 2 years younger. I would take Koevermans for any game, for a million different reasons over a middle-of-the-road striker like Hassli. I honestly think that the general discontent around TFC is leading people to diminish how truly good Koev's was and IS.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That Hassli strike was incredible. Hard to do anything about that one.
    For the most part, the game was pretty boring. Second half was better than the first, but still not too exciting.

One thing I like about our team is the different style of attacks that we have developed.

Started the game off with speed and flare in Plata, Lambe and Avila.
    When that didn't work it was changed up and played the hold and run style with Koevs, Johnson and Sooslma.

Pace vs. Strength
    When one doesn't work, use the other.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flash is the word for it. I think Hassli plays better mad and challenging for top spot. If he was here presently he'd be top spot and our team doesn't seem to do well with flashy personalities. I think he's looking so good at Vanny because of where he is on the depth chart.

It's like he was motivated or something...
    With ensco's point in mind and talking about team personality it would be hard not to elevate Dunfield to Brennan status shortly. Canada player, scrappier than he is precise. An "All-heart" player that will be given a break to a certain point because of it and attacked for that by others that can't stand any special treatment.

Agree/Disagree?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With ensco's point in mind and talking about team personality it would be hard not to elevate Dunfield to Brennan status shortly. Canada player, scrappier than he is precise. An "All-heart" player that will be given a break to a certain point because of it and attacked for that by others that can't stand any special treatment.

Agree/Disagree?
    I think Brennan's (largely undeserved) one-time hero status is a one-off that won't happen with Dunfield. Even looking through this forum, there are plenty of people who think he hasn't been that great for us.

We appreciate role-players and scrappers, but we don't elevate every single one to hero status.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigredone View Post
    Sorry for repeating myself, but any clue what Koevs was up to when hassling Cannon. I can't find a vid. or commentary on it. Very funny though!
    I'm speculating, but based on Koev's interaction with the referee a minute after hassling the ref, I think Koevs was making a point about the Vancouver handball non-call. Kinda like, "If your players can knock down crosses/headers with their hands, then I can smack the ball loose from your keeper with my hands."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very true. I think sometimes our views of such things get warped by watching too much top flight football. The top forwards tend to be far less streaky (for the most part - but even those guys go through scoring droughts if they aren't named Ronaldo or Messi)

But that is a large part of why they are where they are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Hell, even Gerry and Craig were going on during the game like we were dead and burried, then at the end they started to pull it back. Even then I don't get the feeling that they understand the signifigance of the away goal.

The meida (generally) only understand wins and losses, not the strategy in a two legged football match.

I am happy with the result and Hassli's goal was amazing.
    I love how Gerry says "it changes everything" after Hassli scores. Yeah it changes the fact that Vancouver got a draw instead of a loss but it still doesn't change who is currently in the better position to win the final. It's those kinds of mistimed extreme comments that make him and other commentators really show their lack of competence. And to be fair, I acknowledge the fact that Dobson actually knows the importance of the away goal...it's just he doesn't know how to communicate it. Now that goal is was amazing but the media making it sound like Vancouver stole it away from Toronto is too extreme. That goal has potential to be significant next week but it doesn't change the fact that Vancouver has to score in Toronto. Amazing goal yes, but if this were a UEFA CL semi final and the home team scores to tie it late..the media would be focussing on the match as a wasted chance for the home team and a good result for the away team. The amazing goal would be secondary. Here the goal became bigger than the game itself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Most in our media seem to really enjoy it when Toronto loses or something bad happens. That's what I would attribute this to. Jason de Vos is another one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My thoughts on watching the game:

1) The backline played quite well in comparison to other games this year. Its great to see how we can look attacking when you don't have to worry about the back 4 as much.
    2) If we could finish this game would have been a blow out.
    3) Winter got the line up and most of the subs right.
    4) Johnson is most dangerous when he's on the left wing and Koev is playing the target man and draws the defense in.
    5) The Ref let this game get out of hand. He was bad but bad across the board.

Back line:
    Hall - I initially wrote off Hall this year but the more I see him play the more I like him. I like him and ecks competing at the RB position. Maybe Ecks can pick up some of his maturity?
    Cann - Awful with the ball at his feet put still played pretty well.
    Henry - This kid is getting better and better as his confidence grows. He showed some potential with the ball at his feet and has some good pace. He was at fault with the Hassli goal but I bet you next time we play them he plays a step or 2 closer.
    Morgan - Depsite what people are saying about him having a bad game I think he did a remarkable job shutting down one of the best forwards in MLS. How many opportunities did Le Toux have? 1?

Mids:

JDG - had a great game in my opinion. Thats what he needs to bring each and every game.
    Dunfield - The kid has heart. Too bad his skill level doesn't match it. He's a good late game sub to bring energy but Frings was missed.
    Avila - Had some flashes of good but
    Silva - Good sub. Brought a bit of energy but made some rookie mistakes.

Forwards:

Lambe - Good play box to box. Not much to say about him.
    Johnson - Was way more effective on the left when Koev came in. As a target man he's just not overly effective.
    Plata - In my mind was virtually invisable most of the game.
    Koev - Played extremely well coming back from injury. Clogged up the middle and drew the defenders for Johnsons goal. Needs a week or 2 to get his full match fitness back.
    Soolsma - I think his play has earned him back his starting position on the right. Great on the ball but man he's got to finish that 2-1.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strikers are always streaky like bacon.

I said earlier in another thread that Hassli has scored 3 out of 4 of his last games. Now 4 out of 5 in all competitions. That's what you call a hot streak!

Koev's is unfortunately in the opposite streak right now.

P.S I actually WOULD trade Koev's for Hassli. Hassli has a couple of years more to play that Koev's, and he seems to have a different dimension to his game than Koev's. Plus. I've always had a soft spot for the hard man striker. My favourite player of all time is Paul Moody, he was a brute, and you never knew if he would score a hat trick or be sent off for hitting the opponents centre back. But he was great to watch! Koev's is more a 6 yard box striker, so a little less spectacular in the excitment department.
    Last edited by T-boy; 05-17-2012 at 09:13 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Very true. I think sometimes our views of such things get warped by watching too much top flight football. The top forwards tend to be far less streaky (for the most part - but even those guys go through scoring droughts if they aren't named Ronaldo or Messi)

But that is a large part of why they are where they are.
    Even the top strikers in Europe go in streaks. Take Van Persie. He was premiership top scorer - but he still went from the start of March until the end of April without scoring a goal! Rooney, second top scorer, didn't score a league goal between October and December, then scored 10 in ten games!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    wat.

He's clearly found his stroke again with his crosses, a shame nobody was ever there but he's starting to lay them in there nicely like he was at season's start. He competed well, took some soft fouls but was otherwise decent if not pretty good last night.
    He marked Le Toux out of the game. He had that chance at the end of the half when he was caught out but that's it. It's why he was bitching so much.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    He marked Le Toux out of the game. He had that chance at the end of the half when he was caught out but that's it. It's why he was bitching so much.
    I don't understand why Le Toux was playing wide right of the strikers? Didn't make any sense? He's their most natural scorer, and you play him wide? That's definitely a mistake in management.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    I don't understand why Le Toux was playing wide right of the strikers? Didn't make any sense? He's their most natural scorer, and you play him wide? That's definitely a mistake in management.
    They play 4-2-3-1 with Camilo and Le Toux on the wings. Maybe he'd be better at the no. 10 position.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    They play 4-2-3-1 with Camilo and Le Toux on the wings. Maybe he'd be better at the no. 10 position.
    It reminded me of Kenny Cooper being played wide at Portland last season. I thought then that he's completely wasted playing near the wing. And sure enough, he goes to Red Bulls and he is playing centrally, and is scoring for fun!

Le Toux is a natural number 10, and has that goalscoring instinct. Lucky for us, and the rest of the league, that Rennie doesn't seem to realise that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I think that counts as a fairly solid result. Vancouver has been one of the better MLS teams so far this season. I don't know how Hassli lost his man there, but that was one hell of a volley.
    Yeah, I think that TFC implemented their game plan as well as could be expected. It was very close to being a better result, but 1-1 away is quite good for us. I wouldn't necessarily describe it as Hassli losing his man. Henry knew he was there, but it's not like Henry could afford to abandon the rest of the penalty area to stick closer to Hassli. Otherwise, Rochat is likely to lead another attacker into the box with a through ball and then Henry would be getting blamed for that. It's just Vancouver taking advantage of the concentration of TFC players on the left, Hassli doing an excellent job of finding some space, and Rochat delivering an amazing cross. Henry tries to close down on Hassli, but he just doesn't have enough time because Hassli takes a shot on the volley. It's an absolute wonder strike from Hassli that bends into the top corner of the goal on the short side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    wat.

He's clearly found his stroke again with his crosses, a shame nobody was ever there but he's starting to lay them in there nicely like he was at season's start. He competed well, took some soft fouls but was otherwise decent if not pretty good last night.
    I would agree that Morgan's crosses were much improved in this match. While he did commit some sloppy fouls towards the end of the match, I don't think enough credit is being given to how silent Le Toux was kept last night. Morgan did an excellent job of harassing Le Toux and limiting his opportunities to have an impact on the game.

I've been quite impressed with Morgan, and Henry since he has been receiving regular minutes, this season. I think they've been a bright spot at the back for us and they have shown a level of comfort when playing beside one another. I hope it continues.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    It reminded me of Kenny Cooper being played wide at Portland last season. I thought then that he's completely wasted playing near the wing. And sure enough, he goes to Red Bulls and he is playing centrally, and is scoring for fun!

Le Toux is a natural number 10, and has that goalscoring instinct. Lucky for us, and the rest of the league, that Rennie doesn't seem to realise that!
    I found that odd last night too. Le Toux is far less effective where Rennie has him now. Not sure what Rennie is thinking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VoxPopuliCosmicum View Post
    I'm speculating, but based on Koev's interaction with the referee a minute after hassling the ref, I think Koevs was making a point about the Vancouver handball non-call. Kinda like, "If your players can knock down crosses/headers with their hands, then I can smack the ball loose from your keeper with my hands."
    Thanks! I love that man, he thinks he is unDUTCHable!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    Hall - I initially wrote off Hall this year but the more I see him play the more I like him. I like him and ecks competing at the RB position. Maybe Ecks can pick up some of his maturity?
    I think it's still too early to make definitive judgements about Jeremy Hall at this point. He really struggled to keep up with Camilo in the first half last night. He has shown some good offensive awareness in his initial appearances for TFC. His cross into the box on Johnson's header on goal towards the end of first half was a high point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Funny thing about Hassli - His goal against NE last week broke a long scoring drought. I think it was 14 games without a goal. Another big target man that went through a rough patch an is back on form. Don't write Koevs off yet.
    He has 4 in the last 5 games. Including a 90th min winner against SJ. But he did have a long goal less drought prior to that