Avila 6.5
    Johnson 8.0
    Plata 6.5
    Lambe 7.0
    Koevermans 7.0
    Silva 6.5
    Soolsma 7.0

Winter: 7.5

All in all very good result in an away game without our Captain Torsten Frings he would of played in place of Dunfield for sure. We win with a at home next week with the following results... 0-0, 2-1, 1-0, and a 2-2 draw puts us trophy less. Torsten will fix that next week we have to be loud and proud at BMO Field next Wednesday best we have ever been.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hall started out poorly but improved when he got comfortable. The rest of the back line was solid, especially Doniel Henry who broke up a lot of key plays when Vancouver just needed to get past the last red shirt. Our attacking mids all played well together as well... saw some great combinations from Avila/Lambe and Soolsma/Plata. I really liked Johnson out wide after Koevermans came on. Danny's presence really allows the attacking third some breathing space, although I've gotta say it was kind of sad watching him chase that ball down when he looked to be clear on goal. The DM's still leave something to be desired despite the fact there were no major fuck ups this time. Dunfield was close to being sent off, which may be been a good thing considering all the possession he lost and JDG almost seemed afraid to pass forward (assist notwithstanding). It could be either a lack of confidence in his team mates or I'm just not seeing the full picture though a camera lens.

Overall I'm happy with the result but feel a bit deflated in the process.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by smtavare View Post
    Wow Roogsy, all your comments have been super positive today. Have you been drinking some of the Vodka Spiked KoolAid we brought. LOL!

What a nice change on these boards when its a non-league game!
    We should leave MLS and play the 3 other Canadian teams 10 times each as our entire season. We'd be the Barcelona of CONCACAF!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a nice change on these boards when its a non-league game!
    Nothing to do with it being non-league. Listen, that was a great football game. Any time we play well, draw on the road, and the opposition gets the result on a world class goal, that's a great football game.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that counts as a fairly solid result. Vancouver has been one of the better MLS teams so far this season. I don't know how Hassli lost his man there, but that was one hell of a volley.

Note to sportsnet: get a better sideline reporter. I wanted to puke watching that post game interview.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFizik View Post
    Damn bad boy/tattoos. Gosh I hate that guy.
    --
    I know what you mean but it's not that he has tattoo's, it's that he has that big spiderweb on his elbow that screams COLLEGE GOTH!
    Last edited by MartinUtd; 05-16-2012 at 11:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did anyone miss Bob DeKlerk's sideline hijinks today. It was the first game with Jimmy B.today

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did anyone miss Bob DeKlerk's sideline hijinks today. It was the first game with Jimmy B.today
    I missed it.. what happened?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter...tor/chalkboard

Opta board. RJ and Henry were all over the place
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A decent road result I am pleased to bad they couldnt hold on to that lead but what a volley by Ink Man. I still think the real test is on Saturday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    I missed it.. what happened?
    Nothing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

None of the news articles I've read about the game, understand the importance of the TFC away goal.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Even better than I remembered watching it live. Wow.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The defender played it ok. No blame there. It was simply awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Simply remarkable.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't get a chance to watch the game tonight because I was working, so I had to make do with the highlights. Man, I thought people were trying to hype it up, but Hassli's goal is fucking beautiful. It's really only marred by the fact that it hit the back of OUR net.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sign hasli.
    Away goal better than expected.
    Next mat h will take it at BMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny thing about Hassli - His goal against NE last week broke a long scoring drought. I think it was 14 games without a goal. Another big target man that went through a rough patch an is back on form. Don't write Koevs off yet.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    We should leave MLS and play the 3 other Canadian teams 10 times each as our entire season. We'd be the Barcelona of CONCACAF!
    Which would be fine till we meet the Chelsea of CONCACAF...oooooooooooh sorry man couldn't resist. I know- too soon.

Morgan and Henry worked there asses off but they weren't the only ones. JDG, Plata and moreso Dunfield were run into the ground. I'd say for Dunfield that and a desperation to prove to us he should've moved from Vancouver put SO MUCH aggression in his game. Like, playing for his job kind of aggression. Replay showed him absolutely assaulting his opposition. He was lucky to stay on the pitch but great effort.

Johnson has steps to take to make him a hands down top spot for me. Great speed and brave in the box (most times alone in there) but it's those one on ones once he lets a defender inside 4ft he slows down. Little things he can work on to get to the player I'm sure he could be. The outstanding misstep I thought was when he failed to take the clear opportunity once his defender dropped to the floor. With half a pitch in front of him he moved it 2 steps, stopped to wait to cross it in. Like I said, little things, but really like parts of his game.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 05-17-2012 at 07:47 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The defense kept their shape quite well. Sad about the Hassli goal, it would have been nice going to BMO 1-0, but that was a great goal.
    How well would TFC done all these years if games were only 80 minutes long?

I was pretty impressed with Morgan. If the academy can turn out a few more like him, it will be a good success.

So, the usual shambolic defense wasn't present this game. Do we give credit to Jimmy B. for turning things around so soon?

The players didn't play like they were terrified to make a mistake, like they did through much of the 0-8 games. Did removing the fiery BDK help the team just by the absence of his screaming at the team? Or is TFC just a great cup team and a terrible league team? I guess we'll see against DC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was simply a stunning goal by Hassli. Even the most hardcore TFC fan has to admire that one.

I love our Koev's, but he doesn't have that finish in his locker of tricks.

It also shows that Hassli is a DP that isn't the wrong side of 32 aleady. He has that bit more left in the tank compared to Koev's it seems. Koev's is a good player and holds the ball up well, but Hassli has that ability to turn a game, and that's what you really need in a DP, THAT is where that extra money goes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    The defense kept their shape quite well. Sad about the Hassli goal, it would have been nice going to BMO 1-0, but that was a great goal.
    How well would TFC done all these years if games were only 80 minutes long?

I was pretty impressed with Morgan. If the academy can turn out a few more like him, it will be a good success.

So, the usual shambolic defense wasn't present this game. Do we give credit to Jimmy B. for turning things around so soon?

The players didn't play like they were terrified to make a mistake, like they did through much of the 0-8 games. Did removing the fiery BDK help the team just by the absence of his screaming at the team? Or is TFC just a great cup team and a terrible league team? I guess we'll see against DC.
    Time will tell on this one. Either way, DC is a tough place to go get a result, so I'm not expecting a complete change in league results this weekend.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    None of the news articles I've read about the game, understand the importance of the TFC away goal.
    Hell, even Gerry and Craig were going on during the game like we were dead and burried, then at the end they started to pull it back. Even then I don't get the feeling that they understand the signifigance of the away goal.

The meida (generally) only understand wins and losses, not the strategy in a two legged football match.

I am happy with the result and Hassli's goal was amazing.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Credit needs to be given for Rochat's excellent cross. That was a good part of Hassli's goal (the stunning finish was the other part). If Hassli had needed a second touch, he wouldn't have gotten the shot off.

BTW, Ryan Wolstat of the Sun noted the away goal. At least one journalist understands the away goals rule.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 05-17-2012 at 07:58 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

entertaining game, thats for sure. we both went through huge stretches of attacking play. it was good to see the reds push forward and trying to get some goals, but it would've been better if we didnt go off an announce it pre-game. it wouldve been interesting to see whitecaps play the first 10 thinking they were going to face the same team that defended for a full 90 in montreal.

having said that, heres a few observations:
    - fuck me i wanted that soolsma goal.
    - morgan was fantastic.
    - hall improved as the game went on.
    - dunfield was his typical physical, occasional screwup self.
    - surprisingly good performance from JDG.
    - we need to stop crossing into the box when theres no one covering the opposite flank, seriously, how many attacking opportunities did we squander with a ball floating well over someones head and ending up at the opposite flank no one there?
    - kovermans was being a typical shit disturber trying to get under cannons skin, he's fuckin fired up. expect goals from him.
    - is it just me, or did cann look terrified whenever he got the ball at his feet? moreso than usual.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Funny thing about Hassli - His goal against NE last week broke a long scoring drought. I think it was 14 games without a goal. Another big target man that went through a rough patch an is back on form. Don't write Koevs off yet.
    Here Here......

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    It was simply a stunning goal by Hassli. Even the most hardcore TFC fan has to admire that one.

It also shows that Hassli is a DP that isn't the wrong side of 32 aleady. He has that bit more left in the tank compared to Koev's it seems. Koev's is a good player and holds the ball up well, but Hassli has that ability to turn a game, and that's what you really need in a DP, THAT is where that extra money goes.
    Hassli has 2 goals in 9 league appearances for Vancouver....and pretty much why he is coming off the bench. Not saying he isn't good, but just because he scores "big flashy goals" doesn't make him better or worse that Koevermans. I do agree with you however that he does have that big finish though. Personally I'll still take Koevermans in a heartbeat.
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was very happy with yesterday. All the boys did well and the ones that did not was no surprise. The score could have easily been 3 - 1.

Does anyone know what the deal was when Koevermans was hassling and probably scaring the shit outta Cannon? That was hilarious and I want to see it again.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post

The only difference is in the manner Hassli scores. He's had 2 shots like that in 2 years. Some players go their whole careers without one like that and that's to his credit but his 2 in 9 this year isn't that much more impressive than DK's 1 in 5.

Before we go crazy overstating the manner of Hassli's goals- 10 in 26 last year to DK's 8 in 10.

-Edit- Ags beats me to it. Sorry T.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 05-17-2012 at 08:02 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Ashtone Morgan didn't play well at all - his play is regressing,
    wat.

He's clearly found his stroke again with his crosses, a shame nobody was ever there but he's starting to lay them in there nicely like he was at season's start. He competed well, took some soft fouls but was otherwise decent if not pretty good last night.