0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Now with paragraphs!

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I am fine with investing in International scouting provided they put resources into it. To just say, ok Bob, that's your job now. Does he have a budget and is that budget consistent with the kind of revenue they are bringing in?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Let me put this into perspective. Say a player plays for ManU(2 1/2 years), retires to become the assistant of the GM at ManU, goes onto coaching the youth team of ManU then finds himself shorlty 1 year becoming the assistant to Sir Alex. I dont care if your fucking Donkey Kong FC or ManU, a professional organziation does not do this shit no matter how shit the league or club is.
    On the subject of ManU: I believe it was Gary Neville just appointed to an assistant role in the English setup, under Roy Hodgeson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I am fine with investing in International scouting provided they put resources into it. To just say, ok Bob, that's your job now. Does he have a budget and is that budget consistent with the kind of revenue they are bringing in?
    Why spend money on scouting when player agents come to you with very reliable highlight reels for free?

(do I need to put the... ?)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    This is what I suspect is going on:
    I like your take on things.

Ives seems to think that Jimmy B. isn't as hated as some here seem to think:

As for how the changes might help the team in the short term, there is a sense that going from a task-master like de Klerk to a more well-liked player's coach type in Brennan might help improve the mood in the locker room.
    I honestly don't know how he is as a coach, maybe some have heard.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No reason for the current crop of players to dislike him, he's been working with the kids since last year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ives Galarcep's full take on the changes: http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_b...nt-office.html

And how about this mlssoccer.com headline: "TFC legend Brennan made assistant coach in staff shuffle." Um yeah sure...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys, this is one big smoke screen. Winter is done, they are just waiting till they get knocked out of Champions League. Then Jimmy will replace him as the interm to the end of the season. I personally think this fucked up and complete and utter bullshit. We are going to fire Winter and replace him with a yes man. He was the rat in the dressing room during the Mo years and is a fucking loser of an individual. Fuck him and TFC if this happens, we as supporters don't need this shit show of team. How can you go from a shit player (most overated player in our history), to assistant GM, to coach of the U17 to now first assistant to Winter??? Maybe FirstWave is still involved with the MLS holdovers. Fuck them all

Just to piss them all off, I hope Winter and the lads goes on a run of 4 wins in 6 and then 8 of twelve with a couple of draws. I hope this backfires in the FO face, cause I have officially had enough.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

One slightly different angle to this is that De Klerk going to work alongside Earl Cochrane was actually something Winter wanted. If there is a little infighting going on, maybe Winter wants Bob close to the source to keep him honest.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 117 View Post
    Guys, this is one big smoke screen. Winter is done, they are just waiting till they get knocked out of Champions League. Then Jimmy will replace him as the interm to the end of the season. I personally think this fucked up and complete and utter bullshit. We are going to fire Winter and replace him with a yes man. He was the rat in the dressing room during the Mo years and is a fucking loser of an individual. Fuck him and TFC if this happens, we as supporters don't need this shit show of team. How can you go from a shit player (most overated player in our history), to assistant GM, to coach of the U17 to now first assistant to Winter??? Maybe FirstWave is still involved with the MLS holdovers. Fuck them all

Just to piss them all off, I hope Winter and the lads goes on a run of 4 wins in 6 and then 8 of twelve with a couple of draws. I hope this backfires in the FO face, cause I have officially had enough.
    I told you guys at the beginning of the year that McLean still had his tentacles in TFC...and its not through First Wave. They split during Preki's season and he is now Santio Sports. And several players and managers are repped by this leach.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Champions League?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think Section 117 means the Voyageurs Cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    One slightly different angle to this is that De Klerk going to work alongside Earl Cochrane was actually something Winter wanted. If there is a little infighting going on, maybe Winter wants Bob close to the source to keep him honest.
    I wish that were true but I don't think Winter has the power to reassign people. Can he actually make a decision that he wants Brennan as his assistant coach and move all these people around accordingly? I doubt it. More likely he was told.

Also, unless BDK has a really good poker face, he didn't seem to be in on the plan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I told you guys at the beginning of the year that McLean still had his tentacles in TFC...and its not through First Wave. They split during Preki's season and he is now Santio Sports. And several players and managers are repped by this leach.
    I didn't know they split. I know for sure that cunt Jimmy is represented by him. Who else is represented by these pieces of trash?? I assume Earl Cochrane is another what a fucking douche bag he is. I am almost positive he and jimmy are why these idiots are still influencing this club

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This move doesnt bug me so much because I think Brennan would be a shitty assistant. It bugs me because it seems that they're giving him roles (and some pretty important ones at that) for the sake of him having a role, not because he's the best man for te job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Klinsman has been silent. If TFC was 8-0 he'd be chirping up a storm about his soccer consulting company.

All this speculation is an amazing read.

Are these true statements?
    1) The MLS season is over. We're not making the playoffs.
    2) Lose the Cdn Championships, Winter is fired.

The recent changes, will not change the above two statements. If we win the Canadian Championships, Winter buys his way to the end of the season...which will continue to be awkward.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Klinsman sold an outdated Dutch attacking system to a rebuilding team in a physical league.
    MLSE bought it. Caveat emptor.
    Watch for the impending de-dutchification of TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This is good. I like the Shakespearean element in this interpretation. Conniving and complicated, with the ring of truth.

Of course it could just be Much Ado About Nothing.
    Heheh, Out Damn Spotty Record!

Then again, the Bard's popular because he knew human nature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boozilla View Post
    Klinsman sold an outdated Dutch attacking system to a rebuilding team in a physical league.
    MLSE bought it. Caveat emptor.
    Watch for the impending de-dutchification of TFC.
    I wouldn't count on that. Other MLS teams who have coaches with an American soccer pedigree are implementing the offensive elements of it, but simplifying their defensive systems and doing what we did in the last game, which is pressuring high up the pitch to put the onus on technical ability, due to less time on the ball.

It may be "de-dutchification" in a sense, but it won't be getting rid of the 4-3-3. it's a very adaptive system and the rotational/coverage aspect of it tends to be endemic to the offensive end.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm happy with Nicol or Rongen or even Mariner being coach. If Jimmy B. ends up being coach... it will be more than a little upsetting. Why have him when there is experienced talent available? It would reek to the extreme.

OTOH, the media are taking a different angle, that it's removing BDK from the touchline. Then it would make sense to have a striker coach the strikers and a defender the defenders. Maybe we are reading too much into this due to 0-8.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 05-15-2012 at 07:54 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what I suspect is going on:

* Winter and Mariner have been fighting since the start. This has been alluded to in Ives Galarcep's blog since pre-season. We've since had suggestions of people in the front office blocking player moves.

* Winter's team obviously has some talent but goes to 0-8 and there's obvious communication issues, thus the meetings.

* They attempt a quick fix with this move, while also setting up a caretaker in case it doesn't work: Mariner is removed from the front office, so Winter's own guy, who he trusts, can handle player acquisition. At the same time, De Klerk, who is hotheaded but not necessarily a great communicator, is removed from day-to-day coaching of the players, and Brennan is brought in because a) he's played in this league and can relate and b) he's learned to teach the system at the Academy level; as a c) he's a loyal Anselmi guy who can be used as a caretaker if they fire the lot.

What this suggests is that the players still like Winter -- they say he has their back and their his in interviews, which isn't necessary and is only a positive indication -- but he's an absentee GM, not a training level guy. So there's no point, to Anselmi, in firing him. He's the local equivalent of Klinsmann: the face of the club and the guy who makes exec decisions. He's Tom's new insulation (whereas Mo was before).

This move smells of a belief that internal player acquisition issues, combined with poor communication by the field-level coach, were our biggest problems. Mariner is asked to stick around, but in a greatly reduced role -- they're basically making him the strikers' coach. And Anselmi is corporately covered six ways from Sunday: if the system keeps failing, he can fire Winter and Deklerk then and install Brennan temporarily as a "loyal team guy."

If the system turns around, he can take credit for putting DeKlerk into player acquisition and fire Mariner quietly as being extraneous.
    This is pretty close to my own theory on this reshuffling, although I don't know how much it has to do with Brennan being a "loyal Anselmi guy" (Is he? What body of evidence is that based on?)

I think MLSE would be more likely to give the reins to Mariner if Winter got canned, because he could offer a modicum of continuity, and because the fans largely don't seem to lay any responsibility at his feet for our current record. I think Anselmi is shrewd, but I don't think he's a complete moron - what would he have to gain by giving control of the first team to someone with an even lighter resume than Winter, and certainly way lighter than Mariner's?

These moves could also be as simple as getting DeKlerk away from the touch lines, and Winter trying to bring in an assistant with experience playing in MLS, in the wake of the player meeting last week.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I'm happy with Nicol or Rongen or even Mariner being coach. If Jimmy B. ends up being coach... it will be more than a little upsetting. Why have him when there is experienced talent available? It would reek to the extreme.
    If Brennan were handed the head coaching job at any point this season, I have no compunction with saying it would be a new all-time low for the club. I'm not reflexively opposed to him as an assistant, though I have some concerns about what he can really bring to the table. I guess we will see.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm as critical of the promotion from TFCA2 to Assistant Coach. The fact that it isn't Dichio being promoted a likelier one step than Brennan's two reeks of sacrificial lamb.

The fact you refer to Brennan as shit and most overrated is the height of hyperbole and a runaway bias, though. You're free to have your opinion.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I'm as critical of the promotion from TFCA2 to Assistant Coach. The fact that it isn't Dichio being promoted a likelier one step than Brennan's two reeks of sacrificial lamb.

The fact you refer to Brennan as shit and most overrated is the height of hyperbole and a runaway bias, though. You're free to have your opinion.
    It is not bias because I am not blind to the fact he is Canadian and the first player signed. The difference between Nick Garcia and Jim Brennan is that Nick was actually a good defender in his day. Brenann would never have been captain if he wasnt from here, here was never a leader. He only signed with TFC cause no one else was offering him a contract.

Another thing ask anyone in the know about the inner workings of the squad during the Mo year, who the rat was and he is going to be the next head coach within weeks??? So really it is ok that OUR team is going to be run by him. He is a snake and a back stabbed who got to where he is by first being Mo's rat and then Uncle Tom's as well. I am wondering is he going to coach with the cast on to????

Jim Brennan would never started a game on any MLS team and again I stress this point the only reason there were never multiple threads on him being shit is because he is Canadian. If he was American he would got the same treatment as Wynne, Garcia etc.. He showed heart cause he played hurt, you know what I really don't care cause he cost TFC a hell alot more goals against then going forward. I guess he will teach them his direct style of hoof the ball down the field not possession based like they are supposed to.

To your last comment I have a bias to only one person that has ever played for this team and he was one of the few classy individuals and he was a true proffessional.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Every source I read fingered Nick Garcia as Mo's mole.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Jimmy was a fan favorite, and part of me wonders if any part of this move has to with PR - throwing a once popular figure into a more prominent role to try and stir up some goodwill with the ticket holders.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have to explain to me how he was a rat. The fact he was close to Mo and gave him the mood of the room makes him a rat? Who did he "turn in"? What were they doing wrong they had to be "snitched on"? And why are we talking like TFC is mobbed up?

And Brennan was by no means the worst we've had at the back. I think near the end there was just as much "local lad" backlash as anything.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heheh, Out Damn Spotty Record!

Then again, the Bard's popular because he knew human nature.
    Spotty? ... Pretty consistent if you ask me!

I actually was thinking of another bit from Macbeth when I saw this news:

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes."
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    This is pretty close to my own theory on this reshuffling, although I don't know how much it has to do with Brennan being a "loyal Anselmi guy" (Is he? What body of evidence is that based on?)

I think MLSE would be more likely to give the reins to Mariner if Winter got canned, because he could offer a modicum of continuity, and because the fans largely don't seem to lay any responsibility at his feet for our current record. I think Anselmi is shrewd, but I don't think he's a complete moron - what would he have to gain by giving control of the first team to someone with an even lighter resume than Winter, and certainly way lighter than Mariner's?

These moves could also be as simple as getting DeKlerk away from the touch lines, and Winter trying to bring in an assistant with experience playing in MLS, in the wake of the player meeting last week.

- Scott
    I think this is a very good assessment at what has happened.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Spotty? ... Pretty consistent if you ask me!

I actually was thinking of another bit from Macbeth when I saw this news:

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes."
    This made me think of a brilliant new strategy for us to finally score a goal or two - dress the team up as trees, and slowly have them creep towards the opposing goal.

"Macbeth shall never vanquish'd be until / Great Birnam wood to high Dunsinane hill / Shall come against him."

- Scott
    Last edited by Shakes McQueen; 05-15-2012 at 08:16 AM.