Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At around the 4:00 minute mark in the Winter interview....did he say he is remaining as technical director but will NOT be on the pitch anymore?

Do these reporters even listen to the answers or is it my bad ears? lol

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    Holy crap was that written in one breath?
    I know, how about some paragraphs!

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hey, Jimmy was captain before he was promoted to the club's assistant GM. That has to count for something. And before he was promoted to assistant coach of the first team he was coaching some kids. He has at least filled out a roster sheet.

Natural career progression, especially for someone with little to no experience. I'm sure his tenure as assistant will add as much value as his tenure as captain and as assistant GM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wzhxvy View Post
    I actually do not have an issue with these changes with the exception of the Brennan change. Brennan gave the appearance that he was the company man during the Mojo years and given the leaks in that locker room, I would not be surprised if he was the source.

It is evident now, that Brennan has played the politics well within MLSE and hence the promotion. This is not about competence, track record, or experience which is why its a joke and a sign that TFC once again is a mess.

I have no issues with the other changes, you shift your talent around, put BDK where he can add value and engage Mariner for his expertise. All good. The Brennan piece is however a sign that this whole thing has nothing to do with competence but politics. AND our team suffers...again
    I'm also particularly worried about the Brennan promotion based on past experience and various rumours. However, some have said that Brennan has done well with the U-17 team. Is that true, anyone have any insight?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    At around the 4:00 minute mark in the Winter interview....did he say he is remaining as technical director but will NOT be on the pitch anymore?

The question was asked whether Winter was still Technical Director. Winter answered, "Yes, of course. Yes, of course. But, I'm now going to be more on the pitch."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post

I think he said "I will be MORE on the pitch"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just some reminders about Brennan:

In mid 2007, as the concern about the plastic multiplied with the injuries, our captain became a paid promoter of Fieldturf. It was entirely within his right. But was it a demonstration of leadership?

He was part of the Cochrane/Anselmi FO (as assistant GM or some such) post Mo in 2010. He is 100% an Anselmi appointee.

He is wound very tight, and was not temperamentally well suited to being captain. He got a lot of criticism for that here. Really he had relatively few supporters in the captain's role. (Remember Garcia coming in and owning the huddle before his first game?)

He also played hard and played hurt. I know that too. I don't hate the guy.

The good news is, it's probably better for Brennan to get some "visibility" in this circus. Let Dichio keep working with the kids, and working on his craft, this terrible year. Danny won't be perceived as part of the problem by the new owners.
    Last edited by ensco; 05-14-2012 at 04:50 PM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BayernTFC View Post
    The question was asked whether Winter was still Technical Director. Winter answered, "Yes, of course. Yes, of course. But, I'm now going to be more on the pitch."
    Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    I think he said "I will be MORE on the pitch"
    Thanks guys. I'll chalk that up to my bad ears. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me put this into perspective. Say a player plays for ManU(2 1/2 years), retires to become the assistant of the GM at ManU, goes onto coaching the youth team of ManU then finds himself shorlty 1 year becoming the assistant to Sir Alex. I dont care if your fucking Donkey Kong FC or ManU, a professional organziation does not do this shit no matter how shit the league or club is.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So... are you saying DC and New England aren't professional teams?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    I'd say we bring in deck chairs but after what happened in Turkey this past weekend, it might not be a good idea.

So maybe a banner depicting shuffling deck chairs...
    A bunch of two-sticks with deck chairs on 'em and just keep moving around with them.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this a joke !
    What substantial difference is this going to make ?

This is the change I would prefer to see, from the top down...

Anselmi
    Cochrane
    Bernie

Thats what I call change

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's see first if these changes work before we start criticizing. I personally like these changes. TFC needs more management structure and they decided to do that internally. Bob De Clerk will bring that with the help of Paul Mariner and Earl Cohranes. I believe TFC has major issues scouting international players, remember Giovanni Caicedo and Miguel Aceval were Paul Mariner signings with Winter signing off. In my opinion Paul Mariner and the rest of the scouting staff have done a horrendous job. That's what TFC fans should look at. WHO IS SCOUTING INTERNATIONAL PLAYERS. Not players we all know, but quality undiscovered talent from Europe, Central and South America and Asia/Africa.

Let's hope Bob De Clerk brings some structure to international scouting and also hire more international scouts. We as fans don't know how many international scouts TFC have and if they are good enough to discover untapped talent. There's no salary cap on hiring qualified and experienced international scouts. MLSE have the money. Rogers has done that with the Toronto Blue Jays why can't MLSE do that with TFC.

I do believe TFC have structural issues that need to resolved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    So... are you saying DC and New England aren't professional teams?
    I dont know what you are reffering too.

Quite frankly an organization making a former player who just retires recently and now has a grand total of 2 years experiance coaching youth into an asssistant coach is ill advised. This is one of the many reasons Winter is disliked, I myself do not see TFC as a professionally run club and i think you would agree on that. Indivduals should have to earn there ranks through time, it says a lot about an organization when a player can become 1 step away from manager(coach) within 2 years of retiring.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I dont know what you are reffering too.

Quite frankly an organization making a former player who just retires recently and now has a grand total of 2 years experiance coaching youth into an asssistant coach is ill advised. This is one of the many reasons Winter is disliked, I myself do not see TFC as a professionally run club and i think you would agree on that. Indivduals should have to earn there ranks through time, it says a lot about an organization when a player can become 1 step away from manager(coach) within 2 years of retiring.
    New England hired Jay Heaps as head coach basically straight after Heaps retired. DC United appointed Ben Olsen as an assistant, and like 7 months later, he was appointed interim manager, then manager.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moralis View Post
    WHO IS SCOUTING INTERNATIONAL PLAYERS.

up pops a smiling mo johnston

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New England hired Jay Heaps as head coach basically straight after Heaps retired. DC United appointed Ben Olsen as an assistant, and like 7 months later, he was appointed interim manager, then manager.
    This is why many see MLS as bush league. Do you think any of those two individuals have the necessary experiance to run a club, this wont happen in many major football leagues in the world. I dont want to look as hating on MLS but these hirings make the league look bad.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is why many see MLS as bush league. Do you think any of those two individuals have the necessary experiance to run a club, this wont happen in many major football leagues in the world. I dont want to look as hating on MLS but these hirings make the league look bad.
    Were people laughing at Sunderland when they signed Roy Keane in 06?

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kreis retired in early 2007 and became the head coach almost immediately. Success didn't come instantly, but RSL is viewed as one of the powerhouses of the league now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those leagues have the benefit of being around for over 100 years.
    Last edited by PopePouri; 05-14-2012 at 06:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Were people laughing at Sunderland when they signed Roy Keane in 06?
    Well no. Sometimes they work out, but hiring big name stars will always look ok when they have no experiance. My point is you cant start hiring former players as managers, these individuals(everyone else as well) have to work their way up the ladder. This is when you evaluate if they are good enough to begin a new role. Jimmy B coaching TFC academy for 2 years is nowhere near enough time to evaluate if he is ready.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what I suspect is going on:

* Winter and Mariner have been fighting since the start. This has been alluded to in Ives Galarcep's blog since pre-season. We've since had suggestions of people in the front office blocking player moves.

* Winter's team obviously has some talent but goes to 0-8 and there's obvious communication issues, thus the meetings.

* They attempt a quick fix with this move, while also setting up a caretaker in case it doesn't work: Mariner is removed from the front office, so Winter's own guy, who he trusts, can handle player acquisition. At the same time, De Klerk, who is hotheaded but not necessarily a great communicator, is removed from day-to-day coaching of the players, and Brennan is brought in because a) he's played in this league and can relate and b) he's learned to teach the system at the Academy level; as a c) he's a loyal Anselmi guy who can be used as a caretaker if they fire the lot.

What this suggests is that the players still like Winter -- they say he has their back and their his in interviews, which isn't necessary and is only a positive indication -- but he's an absentee GM, not a training level guy. So there's no point, to Anselmi, in firing him. He's the local equivalent of Klinsmann: the face of the club and the guy who makes exec decisions. He's Tom's new insulation (whereas Mo was before).

This move smells of a belief that internal player acquisition issues, combined with poor communication by the field-level coach, were our biggest problems. Mariner is asked to stick around, but in a greatly reduced role -- they're basically making him the strikers' coach. And Anselmi is corporately covered six ways from Sunday: if the system keeps failing, he can fire Winter and Deklerk then and install Brennan temporarily as a "loyal team guy."

If the system turns around, he can take credit for putting DeKlerk into player acquisition and fire Mariner quietly as being extraneous.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well no. Sometimes they work out, but hiring big name stars will always look ok when they have no experiance. My point is you cant start hiring former players as managers, these individuals(everyone else as well) have to work their way up the ladder. This is when you evaluate if they are good enough to begin a new role. Jimmy B coaching TFC academy for 2 years is nowhere near enough time to evaluate if he is ready.
    Jay Heaps was one of better left backs in MLS for a long time. Ben Olsen, one of better DM. Jason Kreis was one of best strikers in the league. They may not be 'big name' overseas, but those 3 had some of better playing credentials.

BTW, Guardiola had only two years managing Barcelona 'B' team after retiring as player to manage perhaps the biggest club in the club

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok now I'm confused. When Brennan is asked what he's going to be doing, he answer that they've still got to discuss it?!

So they haven't actually talked this through at all yet?

I thought this was all planned out....but clearly it hasn't been!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jay Heaps was one of better left backs in MLS for a long time. Ben Olsen, one of better DM. Jason Kreis was one of best strikers in the league. They may not be 'big name' overseas, but those 3 had some of better playing credentials.

BTW, Guardiola had only two years managing Barcelona 'B' team after retiring as player to manage perhaps the biggest club in the club
    Well then lets hope Jimmy B works out for everyones sake but history would suggest it wont, I just dont like inexperienced individuals running a club. Anyways he is not coach yet so this is moot and off topic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Ok now I'm confused. When Brennan is asked what he's going to be doing, he answer that they've still got to discuss it?!

So they haven't actually talked this through at all yet?

I thought this was all planned out....but clearly it hasn't been!
    the thought of Brennan anywhere on the pitch in a coaching role gives me the shudders. Don't you people remember 50 percent of his ball distribution as an average mls player was booting the ball down the pitch? He had good qualities, but one was clearly not controlling the movement of the ball the way Winter promised when he came here....I see these two strangling each other after the team goes 0-10

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well then lets hope Jimmy B works out for everyones sake but history would suggest it wont, I just dont like inexperienced individuals running a club. Anyways he is not coach yet so this is moot and off topic.
    I don't want to sound like I'm just picking on you, but you have to put everything into context, esp in MLS where managers with good credentials fail (Queiroz with NY)

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    the thought of Brennan anywhere on the pitch in a coaching role gives me the shudders. Don't you people remember 50 percent of his ball distribution as an average mls player was booting the ball down the pitch? He had good qualities, but one was clearly not controlling the movement of the ball the way Winter promised when he came here....I see these two strangling each other after the team goes 0-10
    I think we discussed in a different thread - a bad players doesn't necessarily mean a bad coach, and a good player doesn't always mean a good coach. So, I'll give Brennan the benefit of the doubt about his coaching abilities right now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    This is what I suspect is going on:

* Winter and Mariner have been fighting since the start. This has been alluded to in Ives Galarcep's blog since pre-season. We've since had suggestions of people in the front office blocking player moves.

* Winter's team obviously has some talent but goes to 0-8 and there's obvious communication issues, thus the meetings.

* They attempt a quick fix with this move, while also setting up a caretaker in case it doesn't work: Mariner is removed from the front office, so Winter's own guy, who he trusts, can handle player acquisition. At the same time, De Klerk, who is hotheaded but not necessarily a great communicator, is removed from day-to-day coaching of the players, and Brennan is brought in because a) he's played in this league and can relate and b) he's learned to teach the system at the Academy level; as a c) he's a loyal Anselmi guy who can be used as a caretaker if they fire the lot.

What this suggests is that the players still like Winter -- they say he has their back and their his in interviews, which isn't necessary and is only a positive indication -- but he's an absentee GM, not a training level guy. So there's no point, to Anselmi, in firing him. He's the local equivalent of Klinsmann: the face of the club and the guy who makes exec decisions. He's Tom's new insulation (whereas Mo was before).

This move smells of a belief that internal player acquisition issues, combined with poor communication by the field-level coach, were our biggest problems. Mariner is asked to stick around, but in a greatly reduced role -- they're basically making him the strikers' coach. And Anselmi is corporately covered six ways from Sunday: if the system keeps failing, he can fire Winter and Deklerk then and install Brennan temporarily as a "loyal team guy."

If the system turns around, he can take credit for putting DeKlerk into player acquisition and fire Mariner quietly as being extraneous.
    This is good. I like the Shakespearean element in this interpretation. Conniving and complicated, with the ring of truth.

Of course it could just be Much Ado About Nothing.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't want to sound like I'm just picking on you, but you have to put everything into context, esp in MLS where managers with good credentials fail (Queiroz with NY)
    That is true but usually the manager with the most experiance will have a higher chance of success. I know what your saying and i do believe that this league has many hurdles which must be overcome but not seen in many others.