Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default De Klerk demoted - Brennan Promoted

My guess is that this has something to do with his uncontrollable temper. Coming off the Montreal explosion, it could be TFC making sure he doesn't do anything to cost the team, just because of a poor temper.

Congrats to Brennan though. Will be nice seeing him at the sidelines.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/05...office-changes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC make staff changes

De Klerk now Technical Manager, Jimmy B now Assistant Coach.

https://twitter.com/#!/JohnMolinaro/...85096671559681

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't you see the headline?

Bob de Klerk promoted to technical manager
    Really though, this is probably for the best. I can't speak to his effectiveness in training, but we sure could use some help in the scouting department.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The most interesting part for me:

"Additionally, Director of Player Development Paul Mariner will take a more active role on the pitch, occasionally coaching the team’s strikers, in addition to his regular responsibilities."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Already here (with a much better thread title): http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showth...-staff-changes

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by razor787 View Post
    My guess is that this has something to do with his uncontrollable temper. Coming off the Montreal explosion, it could be TFC making sure he doesn't do anything to cost the team, just because of a poor temper.

Congrats to Brennan though. Will be nice seeing him at the sidelines.

Another interpretation might be that they want to keep De Klerk for the Academy side of things after Winter gets shown the door due to the lack of results so far this season (barring a major turnaround) and Brennan is being eased in for a role as caretaker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh thank god. Now with the whole coaching this sorted out, TFC can get on with winning games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see de Klerk's new role as a promotion and not a demotion. His new role is much more important to the Organization than being an assistant, especially the "
    including advance and international scouting" part of it.

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't wait for those who understand all this management structure gobledegook to say what this really means.

Is Brennan a better coach than Dichio? One of them actually wanted to coach , as opposed to being in front office management..
    That's all I'll say about that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno what to make of Jimmy B now assistant.
    -Why take away Winter's chosen right hand guy, and replace it with MLSE's favoured son?
    -Does it now mean MLS pragmatic side has won?
    -Is now Winter just a figure head?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster_TFC View Post

The most interesting part for me:

"Additionally, Director of Player Development Paul Mariner will take a more active role on the pitch, occasionally coaching the team’s strikers, in addition to his regular responsibilities."
    Points to Winter being a dead man walking basically.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCBarrie View Post
    I see de Klerk's new role as a promotion and not a demotion. His new role is much more important to the Organization than being an assistant, especially the "
    including advance and international scouting" part of it.
    could also be just a face saving gesture
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSO_BBTB View Post
    Another interpretation might be that they want to keep De Klerk for the Academy side of things after Winter gets shown the door due to the lack of results so far this season (barring a major turnaround) and Brennan is being eased in for a role as caretaker.
    This seems like a very possible scenario.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't want to read too much into this, but without the full story, it's going to be a lot of speculations. I'd like to see JMo or other guys dig some dirt on reasons why this happened

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SO who is going to coach the u17s?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very strange, very interesting. AFAIK, as previous "director of player development" didn't Mariner used to be in charge of scouting at least at the top level? So now BDK gets control over scouting, but less on-field duties. Mariner seemingly loses some scouting control, but more on-field duties.

How much of this did Winter want; how much was he pushed?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe this is some more stuff resulting of the last "open" meeting with the players and the staff. Trying to fix what is broke. Hopefully it works out for the team and not just political positioning for other reasons. I will miss BDK blowing up on the sidelines though. Was still waiting for the big orange Gatorade container (if they have one) to get thrown on the field one day. Guess it will never happen now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know how this points to Winter being a dead man walking. It seems more of a statement to the fact that they felt their international scouting sucked, and that the coaches themselves needed more training. So, DeKlerk moves to training the trainers, and international scouting.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if his short temper on the field had something to do with this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, we are 0-8, major changes needed to be made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSO_BBTB View Post
    Points to Winter being a dead man walking basically.
    we could see Dichio by year end...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is fascinating actually.

De Klerk has basically been the main man in terms of tactics and enforcing Winter's style on the first team. Now De Klerk isn't going to be doing this AT ALL it seems, which is interesting.

Jimmy B seems a far more level headed guy compared to De Klerk. De Klerk always appeared to run the touchline with fear rather than subtlety. Maybe Brennan will bring a more calm approach to the sidelines?

Although the media release is saying that De Klerk is being "promoted" - I don't see it that way at all. Basically, instead of firing the guy (and therefore giving him a pay out of his contract) they are "making" a new roll for him that is less in the spotlight and away from the first team.

What we DON'T know is how much influence De Klerk had on the first team and results up until this point. We all assume that the first team is mainly down to Winter, but it might not be the case? So, this is a positive move in my opinion.

Short of firing Aron Winter, the next best thing TFC could have done, is replace his right hand man. So, I praise TFC for this move.

It will be interesting to see if Brennan has an immediate positive impact on the first team. He always seems to be a popular guy, much moreso with the players that De Klerk has been.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Jimmy B is going to help train senior players in the 4-3-3? Gotcha, didnt really like the guy training youth to begin with, the guy seems nice but has no pedigree in the style we want to play as a club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MLS Pragmatism

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I dunno what to make of Jimmy B now assistant.
    -Why take away Winter's chosen right hand guy, and replace it with MLSE's favoured son?
    -Does it now mean MLS pragmatic side has won?
    -Is now Winter just a figure head?
    Seeing as we're asking questions let's get really twisty with this and counter proposal that this does not mean that the "MLS Pragmatists" won and is instead the "4-3-3 Purists" are on the ascendancy.

Assume that this is Winter's decision and he has firmed up the management structure by giving his guy more power (a Technical *Manager* position) and has given him (and therefore himself) more direct control over development of various enterprises (academy, scouting).

Purely random speculation - but that's what makes the internet fun

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster_TFC View Post
    I don't know how this points to Winter being a dead man walking. It seems more of a statement to the fact that they felt their international scouting sucked, and that the coaches themselves needed more training. So, DeKlerk moves to training the trainers, and international scouting.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if his short temper on the field had something to do with this.
    It's basically sending De Klerk out of Toronto for a big portion of his job! Just how much "international scouting" do TFC do? Usually football teams rely on part time scouts, especially for international scouting jobs. And its taking De Klerk's influence on the first team completely out of the equation.

I think congratulations are in order for Jimmy B - its a big promotion for him!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    So Jimmy B is going to help train senior players in the 4-3-3? Gotcha, didnt really like the guy training youth to begin with, the guy seems nice but has no pedigree in the style we want to play as a club.
    If you watched De Klerk and Rongen talk about the tactics and 4-3-3 the other day, you will know that De Klerk is very obviously the expert in Winter's system. so, its a little weird that TFC are taking their expert away from the first team, and replacing him with a guy who knows MUCH less about the system.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the new chant going to be....

"All we want is a team trained by Jimmy B, trained by Jimmy B, Trained by Jimmy B"!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This shuffle of the deck does not give me any confidence. Is switching DeClerk with Brennan going to somehow inspire Winter to be a better coach? And how did Dichio get lost in the shuffle? Sounds like MLSE is sticking their fingers in the cake batter again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    He seemed to get the U17s to play the 4-3-3 fairly well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    If you watched De Klerk and Rongen talk about the tactics and 4-3-3 the other day, you will know that De Klerk is very obviously the expert in Winter's system. so, its a little weird that TFC are taking their expert away from the first team, and replacing him with a guy who knows MUCH less about the system.
    It was also clear from that that he can't explain it. In English anyway.

Hard to know what to make of this but I can't shake the feeling this is an MLSE cop out designed to not have to make the really hard decision.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    And how's that worked out so far?