Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    That's an easy question...

1. I want us to win every game we play - so I'm there to support them.
    But obviously I want them to win certain games more than others (Cup Games, Playoff Games, Meaningfull Reg Season Match, Non-Meaningfull Reg-Season Match, Friendly)...

2. I LOVE GOING... I think people forget the fun/enjoyment factor sometimes...
    Yes we're there to support the team - but I also ENJOY supporting the team....

I have season tickets because I love to go, love to support, love seeing my friends, love watching live footy... But yes, there are some games I am DESPERATE for us to win (vs Santos or vs LA), some game I REALLY WANT to win (vs Columbus/Montreal or 3pts makes the playoffs) and some games where a loss hurts, its not as big a deal (a random July match vs Portland etc)...

Carts...
    I suspect your opinion is the same as a lot of TFC fans. And I think its partly a "north american" thing to think of the lesser games (portland at home mid season) aren't as important as some others.

But I'm of the mind that these lesser games ARE the ones we need to REALLY win. Beating the crappy teams at home mid season is a must if TFC are going to get to the play offs any season. These are the games we need to support, and these are the games that we need to be seriously pissed off if we don't win.

I agree that some games may be more exciting on paper, but the lesser games are sometimes the more important games in the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    I suspect your opinion is the same as a lot of TFC fans. And I think its partly a "north american" thing to think of the lesser games (portland at home mid season) aren't as important as some others.

But I'm of the mind that these lesser games ARE the ones we need to REALLY win. Beating the crappy teams at home mid season is a must if TFC are going to get to the play offs any season. These are the games we need to support, and these are the games that we need to be seriously pissed off if we don't win.

I agree that some games may be more exciting on paper, but the lesser games are sometimes the more important games in the season.
    I don't consider those games meaningless - the "meaningless" ones are "6pts needed to make playoffs - we have one game left"... I obviously want to win a CCL game more than that game...

Nothing to do with North America... Ask any player in the BPL - they want to win certain games more than others...

Liverpool is in 6th place... 13pts out of 4th...
    They have 2-games left... vs Manchester United and vs Bolton...
    Trust me, they want to beat United more than Bolton...

Any league, any team, any continent, some games mean more than others - whether its pts remaining, rivalries, cup games, etc...
    SOME MEAN MORE...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Other than the Canadian Championship and CCL matches over the last few years, what else has there been to get excited about as a supporter of this club?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Game day? Every single one, home or away? Sure it might look hopeless but don't you still get at least a little excited - isn't that why we're supporters?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Why I think its a bit strange to like CL over the league - is that CL is 10% of the season, and the league is the other 90%.

I'd personally prefer to have success in the majority of games, not the much smaller minority. I'd prefer to have a whole season where we are at the top of the league, and I wouldn't care if we are knocked out of the cup first round.

Otherwise why do we all have season tickets? Why don't we just get tickets to the cup games only?
    liking one doesn't mean i write off the other. i would enjoy picking up some wins during league play, but having said that i'd be more disappointed with us near the top of the table with no champions league success vs. us being midlevel with a semi-final spot. all i know is that some of our most memorable matches have come in, or on the road to the champions league. the montreal game, the LA games, beating dallas, beating vancity, beating cruz azul.. these are some of the most entertaining games ive ever watched, the crowd was hot for the entire match. carts said it best with the league play, the rest is a personal preference i guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben - D.O.W. View Post
    Game day? Every single one, home or away? Sure it might look hopeless but don't you still get at least a little excited - isn't that why we're supporters?
    With the exception of the 2009 season and the first half of the 2010 season, the overhelming majority of league matches since our inaugral season have essentially been meaningless. Sure, I still got fired up when TFC beat Columbus late last season in a game that meant nothing in the standings, but for the most part, if it were not for our limited success in the NCC and CCL, I probably would have hung myself by now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those that are interested, here's how Bet365 has the game priced:

Vancouver - 1.66
    Draw -3.40
    Toronto - 4.50

A Draw at halftime and TFC to win in fulltime pays 10. Might take a cheeky punt on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Is Koevermans good to start? If so I'd get him in there. RJ plays with his head down too often and I'd only like to see him in the centre forward position if we absolutely have to. I like your midfield though. I wonder if Dunfield would be better suited to start over Stinson? I thought Dunfield was the bigger of the two but after checking the roster page, I noticed they're both listed at 5'10" 165lbs. Either way, I'd prefer to inject Stinson's energy into the second half.
    Personally I wouldn't start Koevermans in such a big match coming back from injury, since I doubt he's 100% fit. I'd rather see him play for 25-30mins. As for Dunfield, he's far too mistake prone, gives the ball away far too much with what should be simple passes in the midfield, and finds himself out of position far too often. Didn't mind him coming on in a sort of destroyer role against Montreal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

--------Kocic
    -Hall-Henry-Cann-Morgan
    ---------JDG--Dunfield
    ------------Avila
    Soolsma-----------Johnson
    -----------Koev

We pay way too much to have Koev sitting if he's healthy.

Then at the 60 make the following (All speed related to take advantage of tired people and I imagine we'll be pushing to score away goals):

--------Kocic
    -Hall-Henry-Cann-Morgan
    ---------JDG--------
    -----Avila---Silva---
    Lambe-----------Plata
    -------Johnson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    I don't consider those games meaningless - the "meaningless" ones are "6pts needed to make playoffs - we have one game left"... I obviously want to win a CCL game more than that game...

Nothing to do with North America... Ask any player in the BPL - they want to win certain games more than others...

Liverpool is in 6th place... 13pts out of 4th...
    They have 2-games left... vs Manchester United and vs Bolton...
    Trust me, they want to beat United more than Bolton...

Any league, any team, any continent, some games mean more than others - whether its pts remaining, rivalries, cup games, etc...
    SOME MEAN MORE...

Carts...
    Oh, I completely agree.

I think I was just saying that at this point TFC need to look to every game as an end of season 6 pointer, whether its against a local rival or against Boring FC (I mean Portland, haha!).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    That's a big if. He hasn't played a match in a while, he may be cleared to play, but I doubt he's match fit for 90 minutes. Personally I don't like starting guys you know you'll have to sub out. I'd rather see him run out for 30 or so, giving more options for who gets subbed out based on tactical situations. Last thing we need is to push him for 90 and get him injured again.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate this attitude. Salary shouldn't be an indicator whether you have a lock on starting lineup or not
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

--------Kocic
    -Hall-Henry-Cann-Morgan
    ---------JDG--Dunfield
    ------------Avila
    Soolsma-----------Johnson
    -----------Koev

Then at the 60 make the following (All speed related to take advantage of tired people and I imagine we'll be pushing to score away goals):

--------Kocic
    -Hall-Henry-Cann-Morgan
    ---------JDG--------
    -----Avila---Silva---
    Lambe-----------Plata
    -------Johnson
    I like it and think it will work. Cann and Henry look pretty good as of late and should help with the brick wall in front of Kocic. I would like to see Plata start to fire home a few and perhaps bring in some fancy footwork from Soolsma later in the game. Koev's endurance is a concern though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I am really excited about tonight. At least we can never say there is not enough drama around TFC. You will be able to write entire novels and movie scripts about this club.

A draw would make for a CRAZY can't miss game at BMO Field...again...

That is just it. We are shit, like 90 % of the time, but there is just enough to play for that it keeps you hooked. But the FO takes advantage of that interest. despite everything I am already planning how to get out early of late meetings so that I can see this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to see Lambe in the first 11. I think he's earned it with his 3 goals in all competitions and mostly positive play. Why not start Kovermans with Lambe and Soolsma (I know they are both right sided players) and sub Koev in like the 60th for Johnson? Over-playing guys is bad and I believe Johnson has played just about every match and could use the rest. Especially going into a 'must win' on the weekend vs Dero United.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

--------Kocic

-Hall-Henry-Cann-Morgan

-------JDG--Dunfield

---------Avila

Soolsma-----------Lambe

-----------Koev

Subs

--------Kocic

-Hall-Henry-Cann-Morgan

-------JDG--Stinson/Silva**

---------Avila

Lambe-----------Plata

-----------Johnson

**Sub Stinson if we're up or Silva if we're not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigredone View Post
    I like it and think it will work. Cann and Henry look pretty good as of late and should help with the brick wall in front of Kocic. I would like to see Plata start to fire home a few and perhaps bring in some fancy footwork from Soolsma later in the game. Koev's endurance is a concern though.
    i could also go for some lambe on a silva plata tonight...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A 2-2 draw would suit me fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreekAce View Post
    i could also go for some lambe on a silva plata tonight...
    That does sound tasty. It also sounds a little undercooked (ripe for another food reference).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC website "Road to the Champions League" - VWC website "Road to the FIFA Club World Cup"

*Gotta admire it*

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC website "Road to the Champions League" - VWC website "Road to the FIFA Club World Cup"

*Gotta admire it*
    VWC hasn't experienced going head to head against Mexican teams with abjectly ignorant referees.

Ignorance is what I'd call it................ignorance of the joys of Cuban refs and Panamanian synchronised diving.

The CCL is not about winning it all, its about the process.

VWC doesn't get that yet. Impact and TFC do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this game being broadcast at all? Having trouble finding info on how to watch tonight....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ 10 pm on Sportsnet ONE. Pre-game show starts 9:30.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah it's being broadcast on Sportsnet One...
    Think I'm gonna opt for that (or a stream) rather than Shoeless

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn.
    Now the real question is Shoeless or a stream...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do none of you have sportsnet one? I noticed on my rogers guide that SN1 is on a free trial fro the rest of the year. Not sure if that helps anyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    VWC hasn't experienced going head to head against Mexican teams with abjectly ignorant referees.

Ignorance is what I'd call it................ignorance of the joys of Cuban refs and Panamanian synchronised diving.

The CCL is not about winning it all, its about the process.

VWC doesn't get that yet. Impact and TFC do.
    You're right, especially for Canadian teams. Playing on a world (or continental) stage is our current peak (aside from our glorious world cup go). Being at this point is fantastic, but getting there made me feel like Zhukov after getting to Berlin. (not a reference to the red tide at all, just the generals feelings)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quickly, is there actually anywhere people get together to watch the game in Barrie. I'm home visiting my mom tonight.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*Gotta admire it*
    Awwwwwwwyeaahhhh!!! They're doin it RIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
    Damn.
    Now the real question is Shoeless or a stream...
    I'll be there. Prolly boothing it.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Evening, what are the prospective lineups for tonight? and as an aside if they lose by such a massive margin that they can't possibly come back to make it at least penalties, would they be nutty enough to fire Aron Winter?