Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I find this to be a difficult point of view to agree with.
    you don't have to agree with my point of view.
    to each their own. i like CL, you like league.
    Last edited by __wowza; 05-15-2012 at 02:50 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, but why? Because that's how it's viewed in Europe?

What makes the CONCACAF version more prestigious than the league? And why all of a sudden when before 2008, people didn't even know there was a regional competition?
    Yep and Europe's not the only place. It's regional. It gets bigger. You know this.

and just because the league is better known doesn't mean it's better. It's a progression. I suppose one could take the casual view and demean the CCL's importance because the quality of play is affected since not every team sees the tournaments potential. Or even simpler- not like the CCL because it doesn't sellout every game.

But that's ok. If you're satisfied with building a strong league and that's it- so be it. I've pointed out before I find that NA thought to be insular.

I guess I'm surprised someone who was at the beginning of something and has seen growth since 07 to doubt that the CCL could be greater. But I'm surprised by that whole "I'll go when there's enough people interested" mentality.

Please let me know if you agree/disagree. I'd like to hear your take.

Oh and this tournament didn't exist as it is as I'm sure you know. The CC (Cup) was all elimination and had less teams involved so I'd say it's grown in popularity already.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto FC have played much better in CCL competition than they have in league play. I think that is unanimously agreed. Does that factor in to how exciting those games were?

Because if TFC played against LA as badly as they played against DC, would you feel the same about how exciting those games were?
    You don't even have to bring quality of play into it. It's more exciting on principle it's a shorter tournament with exotic teams we may not play for years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because if TFC played against LA as badly as they played against DC, would you feel the same about how exciting those games were?
    Not really sure what you mean by this but all I know is I have some great memories about some exciting ties in the CCL. More than I have from league play. I am not trying to say one is better than the other but you asked why someone would enjoy the CCL more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Game thread, anyone?

As for Hassli and his "we stole the cup" argument, we were all over them and I guarantee we would have bagged a couple of goals with the way the match was going. VC was tired, frustrated and couldn't hold possession for more than 15 seconds at time. I'm glad he's whining about it to the press because that means the pressure is on him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that Brennan is the assistant coach, I feel so much better.

Everything has been fixed. We are winning this game 4-0.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Game thread, anyone?

As for Hassli and his "we stole the cup" argument, we were all over them and I guarantee we would have bagged a couple of goals with the way the match was going. VC was tired, frustrated and couldn't hold possession for more than 15 seconds at time. I'm glad he's whining about it to the press because that means the pressure is on him.
    He does have pressure on him, he's had a poor year as far as I'm concerned. Bad discipline, his recent goals were pretty blah...you get enough shots yer bound to score eventually..

He needs to deliver here for them and he knows it. Weather is supposed to be beauty all next week, so no excuses when Frings is parading our Cup around the pitch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hasn't Hassli now scored in 3 out of his last 4 games? He definitely seems to have found form. When a striker starts scoring, even if its crappy looking goals, or they are going in off his butt, its always a bad time to play against him!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Now that Brennan is the assistant coach, I feel so much better.

Everything has been fixed. We are winning this game 4-0.
    No WAY!

It's going to be at least 6-0!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to say 2-1, Toronto wins. But my gut tells me it'll be a 2-1 loss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-------------Kocic------------
    Ecks-----Cann---Henry--Morgan
    --------Stinson--DeGuz-------
    Soolsma------Avila-------Lambe
    -----------Johnson------------

I'd like to see us in a 4-2-3-1 for a cup game on the road, set up well to defend and counter, but can easily turn into a 4-3-3 if things are going well, or 4-5-1 if we're under a lot of pressure. We need a stronger midfield presence considering our midfield had been largely nonexistent for much of this season. Bring in Koevermans and Plata later on to keep possession or go for a goal if needed, possibly Dunfield for some muscle. Don't want to see defence for 90 minutes like in Montreal, fresh attacking players if holding on in the second half can help keep the ball further from our net, whereas defensive subs surrender possession to the other team meaning more pressure on a weak backline, and more chances to concede.

Wrong thread?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dv23 View Post
    I want to say 2-1, Toronto wins. But my gut tells me it'll be a 2-1 loss.
    This is not an altogether bad result. If TFC come back home and win 1-0 we're through.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3-1 Vancouver. But we will make a game of it in Toronto. They're not that good.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not expecting amazing things but would love to be pleasantly surprised with a goal or two.

Totally slipped my mind that the match was at 10. Gotta keep fighting the good late night fight. heh
    Shoeless yeah?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
    -------------Kocic------------
    Ecks-----Cann---Henry--Morgan
    --------Stinson--DeGuz-------
    Soolsma------Avila-------Lambe
    -----------Johnson------------

I'd like to see us in a 4-2-3-1 for a cup game on the road, set up well to defend and counter, but can easily turn into a 4-3-3 if things are going well, or 4-5-1 if we're under a lot of pressure. We need a stronger midfield presence considering our midfield had been largely nonexistent for much of this season. Bring in Koevermans and Plata later on to keep possession or go for a goal if needed, possibly Dunfield for some muscle. Don't want to see defence for 90 minutes like in Montreal, fresh attacking players if holding on in the second half can help keep the ball further from our net, whereas defensive subs surrender possession to the other team meaning more pressure on a weak backline, and more chances to concede.

Wrong thread?
    Is Koevermans good to start? If so I'd get him in there. RJ plays with his head down too often and I'd only like to see him in the centre forward position if we absolutely have to. I like your midfield though. I wonder if Dunfield would be better suited to start over Stinson? I thought Dunfield was the bigger of the two but after checking the roster page, I noticed they're both listed at 5'10" 165lbs. Either way, I'd prefer to inject Stinson's energy into the second half.

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The strategy is obvious. Go for the 0-0 draw in Vancouver, and then go for the eyes back home. Genius.
    That's all I'll say about that.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vancouver is taking this match really seriously:

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/co...s-to-Whitecaps

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it'll be something like this

-------------Kocic
    -Hall-Henry-Cann-Morgan
    ---------JDG--Dunfield
    ------------Avila
    Soolsma-----------Lambe
    -----------Johnson

If Winter is playing more defensive, Koevermans in for Johnson, though may not want to risk Koevermans so recently back from injury in starter role.
    Plata may get a start, esp after playing better vs Mtl, but Soolsma is the best winger, and hard to take out Lambe after he scored a goal.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFizik View Post
    Shoeless yeah?
    Shoeless. Yeah.

I'll be there with Canada tix.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

COME ON YOU REDS!!!!!. I believe in the guys. They can win this.

TORONTO TILL I DIE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Come on you Reds!!! It's game day....

Let's go and stomp on Vancouver and show them that we are still DEFENDING CHAMPIONS of the Amway/Nutrilite Cup.

We will win 2-1 late goal by Plata to win it and Kocic will have the game of his life and we will rattle those pieces of trash

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Game thread, anyone?

Now that he is belittling us in the press, this can only bode well for TFC. We finally have the advantage we've been looking for!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redpunkfiddle View Post
    The strategy is obvious. Go for the 0-0 draw in Vancouver, and then go for the eyes back home. Genius.
    Winter wants to bag an away goal. Scares me a bit with the line-up we're fielding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Now that he is belittling us in the press, this can only bode well for TFC. We finally have the advantage we've been looking for!
    Oh wow, we get that magical motivation too!

I wonder if the Southsiders are ranting and raving that we're going to be ultra motivated and kill them because of what he said!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very important cup. The caps would join a worldwide tournament that includes city, man u, arsenal, barca, madrid, juventus, and all the world's champions. A tournament which culminates in morocco next year.

so very epic. I can't even sleep because of the anticipation for tomorrow night.

Bah... Do we have a new format this year? What the hell is going on?

I must admit, it is funny to see how frustrated they are for not winning it in all those tries when Montreal and us have sometimes fallen ass backwards into it.
    Last edited by Brooker; 05-16-2012 at 08:33 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    you don't have to agree with my point of view.
    to each their own. i like CL, you like league.
    Why I think its a bit strange to like CL over the league - is that CL is 10% of the season, and the league is the other 90%.

I'd personally prefer to have success in the majority of games, not the much smaller minority. I'd prefer to have a whole season where we are at the top of the league, and I wouldn't care if we are knocked out of the cup first round.

Otherwise why do we all have season tickets? Why don't we just get tickets to the cup games only?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Same with playoffs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    No WAY!

It's going to be at least 6-0!
    You are right, that sounds much more reasonable. 6-0 it is. We are play off bound.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Otherwise why do we all have season tickets? Why don't we just get tickets to the cup games only?
    That's an easy question...

1. I want us to win every game we play - so I'm there to support them.
    But obviously I want them to win certain games more than others (Cup Games, Playoff Games, Meaningfull Reg Season Match, Non-Meaningfull Reg-Season Match, Friendly)...

2. I LOVE GOING... I think people forget the fun/enjoyment factor sometimes...
    Yes we're there to support the team - but I also ENJOY supporting the team....

I have season tickets because I love to go, love to support, love seeing my friends, love watching live footy... But yes, there are some games I am DESPERATE for us to win (vs Santos or vs LA), some game I REALLY WANT to win (vs Columbus/Montreal or 3pts makes the playoffs) and some games where a loss hurts, its not as big a deal (a random July match vs Portland etc)...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am really excited about tonight. At least we can never say there is not enough drama around TFC. You will be able to write entire novels and movie scripts about this club.

A draw would make for a CRAZY can't miss game at BMO Field...again...