Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i hope the vancouver fans don't come to BMO with their scary sticker campaign and rip up a few of our seats.
    oh lawd, that was so scurry!! it totally took all of our supporters outt've the equitation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto View Post
    If the league doesn't mean anything-- why even play MLS. I'm sure there is a men's league somewhere in the GTA where we can play 4-6 games a year in and Winter will look like a coaching superstar and then we can play in Amway Super Duper Cup Supreme.

Funny how people's script's change to suit the need. If we were 8-0 in league play and just lost t MTL in both games by 4-1 scores, we'd be "That CCL thing is such BS" How it should always be:

League First. (PLAY-OFFS should be the goal)
    Amway Tupperwear Cup Second
    Spoken like someone who hasn't been a user on the forum for very long. There have been lengthy debates on the value of winning the NCC/CCL for years here. For someone who registered a month ago, you might want to tone down the sarcasm, or at least do a cursory search first.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    i hope the vancouver fans don't come to BMO with their scary sticker campaign and rip up a few of our seats.
    oh lawd, that was so scurry!! it totally took all of our supporters outt've the equitation.
    Come on ... we have many urinals that need a little colour added to them! LOL. I just can't get over how bizarre it is to go around putting stickers on urinals, so we can piss on the Impact logo. There's some strange thinking I can't fathom there.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

quick update for who we have at our disposal tomorrow:

Torsten Frings - shoulder injury, didn't travel with the team.
    Miguel Aceval - out, hamstring.
    Danny Koevermans - match fit.
    Richard Eckersley - out on a red card for a stomp.

any news on soolsma?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why won't Soolsma play? He played on Wednesday and had some jump in his step.

I just hope that bloody Dunfield is up for this, Vancouver spurned you, be mad and do something useful other than "hoofball"!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto View Post
    If the league doesn't mean anything-- why even play MLS. I'm sure there is a men's league somewhere in the GTA where we can play 4-6 games a year in and Winter will look like a coaching superstar and then we can play in Amway Super Duper Cup Supreme.

Funny how people's script's change to suit the need. If we were 8-0 in league play and just lost t MTL in both games by 4-1 scores, we'd be "That CCL thing is such BS" How it should always be:

League First. (PLAY-OFFS should be the goal)
    Amway Tupperwear Cup Second
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Spoken like someone who hasn't been a user on the forum for very long. There have been lengthy debates on the value of winning the NCC/CCL for years here. For someone who registered a month ago, you might want to tone down the sarcasm, or at least do a cursory search first.

- Scott
    Welcome to the board, Toronto. At no time would I say the CCL is BS. You may do a search on it if you wish. It's up to you but I'd strongly suggest you do a search on the Voyageur's Cup.

Nm- here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyageurs_Cup

here's a highlight:

The cup is awarded by the Voyageurs, who were founded in 1996 as a national organization of fans of Canada men's national soccer team at all age levels. Until 2008, costs associated with the cup, such as engraving, shipping, maintenance, and promotion had been paid for by private donations from individual members of the Voyageurs. In 2008, the trophy was handed over to the Canadian Soccer Association to be presented to the winners of the Nutrilite Canadian Soccer Championship. The terms of the agreement were to be reviewed in 2010.
    You wanna dig at the commercialization of the cup? Fine, but don't belittle what it's done for the game in this country.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kind of funny to dig at the sponsorship of the tournament, when the entire EPL (arguably the biggest league in the world) is currently named after Barclays bank, and the trophy itself comes adorned with little Barclays banners.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ There's something slightly more dignified about Barclay's Bank than Amway though...but if you don't mind it I have a deal for you that will allow you to make great money working from home!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surely however, there's a difference between having your national cup sponsored by a shady foreign pyramid scheme, and having your national league sponsored by on of the best known companies in the country, one of the biggest companies in the world, and an institution that dates back to the 1600s. It's hard to think of a more British private institution than Barclays - at least in the eyes of the English.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Williams out according to Sportsnet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    ^ There's something slightly more dignified about Barclay's Bank than Amway though...but if you don't mind it I have a deal for you that will allow you to make great money working from home!
    Yeah, if the 2008 global financial meltdown taught me anything, it's how upstanding, dignified, and ungreasy the major world banks are. Ha!

Sponsorship money is sponsorship money. There's nothing dignified about draping your trophy in advertisements, even if it's for an old bank.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ But they're a LEGAL pyramid scheme.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully Frings will be back for the 2nd leg.

RoadTrips:Columbus/Vancouver/Montreal/Columbus/NewYork/Montreal/
    RPBScarf:2015/2019/2023

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    ^ But they're a LEGAL pyramid scheme.
    Which one are you talking about?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcp-ip View Post
    By which time I'm sure Koev's will then be out injured again! :s

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Yeah, if the 2008 global financial meltdown taught me anything, it's how upstanding, dignified, and ungreasy the major world banks are. Ha!

Sponsorship money is sponsorship money. There's nothing dignified about draping your trophy in advertisements, even if it's for an old bank.

- Scott
    Many big institutions and many banks, behave badly. It's the story of our times.

But Barclays is still a lot better than Amway or Nutrilite.

I think MLS and the Galaxy made a serious mistake in taking the high bid from Herbalife when Beckham joined, unless Herbalife paid many millions more than the next highest bid (what do I know, maybe they did). I believe there were a lot of people who never bought that Beckham jersey solely because of the cheesy Herbalife association.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Many big institutions and many banks, behave badly. It's the story of our times.

I think MLS and the Galaxy made a serious mistake in taking the high bid from Herbalife when Beckham joined, unless Herbalife paid many millions more than the next highest bid (what do I know, maybe they did). I believe there were a lot of people who never bought that Beckham jersey solely because of the cheesy Herbalife association.
    Behave badly is the understatement of a generation, haha.

- Scott

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Herbalife pays a fuck ton (by MLS standars)... reupped their sponsorship deal this year 10 yrs 44 mil. in 2007, 3.5 to 5 mil per year

http://www.footballshirtculture.com/...deal-0708.html

http://www.businessforhome.org/2012/03/herbalife-sponsor-la-galaxy-for-44-million/
    Last edited by Yohan; 05-15-2012 at 12:05 PM.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Which one are you talking about?
    Yeah. Take your pick!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcp-ip View Post
    Was posted somewhere that he could play and should suit up Saturday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Is there a statistical data to backup a coach saying "my team is better than the other team" you have? Otherwise, cool story bro.

The topic at hand is a coach stating his team is good to the media, DeRo's self motivation (and your love affair to inject him into this conversation) is what's irrelevant. The coach's comments to the media is what we are discussing, so lets stay on point here.

We're talking about what the manager says to the media, so the method does matter because that's the bloody conversation.

But the coach is speaking highly of the team, so this means alot.

If losing to us last year, the miracle in Montreal and flat out dislike between cities is not enough? Rennie really needs this? Please, there's enough motivation, adding to it isn't going to give them some magical edge or provide motivation because it's lacking. Any fool can tell you Vancouver was motivated without a comment.

History also has examples of teams who found the balls to stay "we're going to win" and then did so. Pretty cool eh?

So when he (and players) did so against Montreal, that surely woke them up to the tune of 0 goals in 180 minutes. Totally on to something here.

You give it too much credit, as if it's proven fact. Choose to ignore one side of the happenings and buy into the other, much like you do with "we're lucky when we win" and "not unlucky when we lose". lolz.
    LOL. Roogsy's having a passionate debate, you're having a dialectical discussion. Ergo, there will be no winners, only bloodshed.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    personally i'd take champions league success over a domestic cup any day
    I find this to be a difficult point of view to agree with. This position makes sense in Europe where as the domestic champion, you get a ticket to the big show in Europe and go up against the big boys, thus the reason why it's so valued. True champions going head-to-head in a storied tournament with years of history including classic clashes and match-ups, with big money on the table with the game's biggest stars competing where if not for the tournament, you would not see Rooney pit up against former teammate Ronaldo, or Mourinho going up against former clubs in other leagues. You see English clubs go up against German clubs. Spanish clubs go up against Italian clubs. And in between you get teams from Holland, Portugal and Eastern Europe trying to break through. It's captivating.

The CONCACAF Champions League has none of that (although hopefully one day it will, that is not the situation as it is now). Up until just 4 years ago, it didn't even exist. It's predecessor competition was barely noticeable. It had no money. Teams did not take it seriously. And you can barely call the entries into the tournament "champions". You don't have history, you don't have stars and you don't have great backstories and match-ups. The most significant element of interest is American teams going up against Mexican teams, basically an extension of the Superliga, and even then, it's barely a match-up since the Mexican teams have dominated the results. It seems as if people give this tournament so much credit OVER the domestic league just because it shares the same name as it's European counterpart. And to me that is a ridiculous reason to value a tournament.

In Europe, the Champions league and it's run is a true test of a team's mettle. To simply get there is an accomplishment. And then to make a run, you have to go through some serious competition.

For Canada, to get there is barely an accomplishment. The BIGGER accomplishment is to succeed in the league and yet some value that less? Getting into the Champions League for a Canadian club requires a 4 team tournament (which was a 3 team tournament in it's first 3 years) and then beat some of the lowliest clubs on the planet in the qualifiers. The only place where the competition really has any significance is when you are either a) matched up against teams from MLS or b) matched up against teams from Mexico.

So matching up against team from MLS means something in Champions League play but not as much in MLS League play?

Impress me over a league season first and then I will start believing in the quality of the team, whether it be the players or the coaching. Show me you would be able to qualify for the Champions League on your own merit through the league and then maybe I will be more impressed with CL performance. Because entering the tournament through a competition that didn't even exist until it was necessary to "assign" a Canadian representative and was literally created last minute to satisfy CONCACAF and FIFA where you have better than a 1 in 4 chance of making it in is hardly reason for me to value it more than the league. It's almost as if we are forcing prestige on to a competition that has none. It's fake credibility. If CONCACAF had simply said that Canadian teams had to use the league for entry into the CCL, we wouldn't have gotten a sniff of it at all. We can thank the Americans for not wanting to use their allocations in the league on Canadian clubs. Not that it would have happened since no Canadian club would have ever qualified so far.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 05-15-2012 at 12:58 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CCL > League Play

That does not mean CCL is everything and League is nothing. It's a matter of interest.

Roogs you and Whoop among others have been touting accurately that any team will find more consistency if they win more games period. Teams can do that only in league play. It doesn't make the league more interesting.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    CCL > League Play
    Yeah, but why? Because that's how it's viewed in Europe?

What makes the CONCACAF version more prestigious than the league? And why all of a sudden when before 2008, people didn't even know there was a regional competition?

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post

What makes the CONCACAF version more prestigious than the league? And why all of a sudden when before 2008, people didn't even know there was a regional competition?
    lol, because it is a competition that TFC can actually do well in? and get into?

i would really love if this team could show the same intensity in league games. as i stated in other threads, TFC is 4-1-3 (that's W-L-D) against MLS sides in all cup competitions over the last 2 years. although that includes 2 expansion teams, FC Dallas on the downswing and a less than stellar LAG. but still, against weaker MLS sides, shouldn't our record reflect the 4-1-3 mark?

frustrating.....maybe Jimmy B can at least get the guys on the first team good haircuts...LOL!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joeyjones View Post
    frustrating.....maybe Jimmy B can at least get the guys on the first team good haircuts...LOL!
    Nooooooo! I haven't seen him lately, but those pictures in the paper still have him looking like the long-lost Gallagher brother from Oasis...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    For me, the CCL matches have been much more exciting than the league matches. Beating Cruz Azul at home, the qualifying round with Motagua, LA at the skye dome and then beating them on road, beating Dallas on the road, Santos Laguna at home and being 2-1 up at the half on the road, Plata as a second half substation against Real Esteli where he scored two goal including one beauty of a free kick. Not to mention, 6-1 over Montreal to win the Voyageurs Cup.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For Canada, I don't think merely getting into the CCL tournament is an accomplishment - I think making some noise once you're in, like we did this year, is.

Of course, now that Montreal and Vancouver are MLS teams, the Canadian Championship play-in might become more of a serious competition.

- Scott

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    For me, the CCL matches have been much more exciting than the league matches. Beating Cruz Azul at home, the qualifying round with Motagua, LA at the skye dome and then beating them on road, beating Dallas on the road, Santos Laguna at home and being 2-1 up at the half on the road, Plata as a second half substation against Real Esteli where he scored two goal including one beauty of a free kick. Not to mention, 6-1 over Montreal to win the Voyageurs Cup.

Toronto FC have played much better in CCL competition than they have in league play. I think that is unanimously agreed. Does that factor in to how exciting those games were?

Because if TFC played against LA as badly as they played against DC, would you feel the same about how exciting those games were?