Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we are all on the same page in terms of wanting TFC to justify Winter's public vote of confidence in the club by defending their title against Vancouver.

That being said, the reality in this market is that the casual fan base will continue to erode even if TFC continues to enjoy a modicum of success in the CCL while continuing to underachieve in MLS. At this critical juncture in the history of the franchise, the results in league play will be the primary factor in determining the trajectory of this club moving forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    I think the Vancouver series is going to be the break for AW this season. I've seen the Caps a couple of times this season, and they are a different monster compared to last year. They are super organised at the back, and now with Hassli AND Le Toux up front, they have multiple options going forward. TFC might get a break if they can keep the first leg tight and if they approach it like the first Montreal game. But if Vancouver score a couple of goals, we can wave goodbye to the home leg. It's also going to be imperative that TFC try and score an away goal, so they will need to TRY and be a little adventurous in the first leg to score a goal.

In betweem I don't see TFC getting anything out of the DC game. This could be a tough couple of weeks. As usual, I hope I'm wrong!
    The actually looked very disorganized at the back against NE tonight. That's the nature of this league though. Solid one week, schoolboys the next.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both starting cbs were rested.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crap. Camilo, Jay DeMerit and John Thorrington all didn't even travel to NE for this game, and regular central defender Martín Bonjour was also left on the bench.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Motivation in sports is a huge thing. It's not quantifiable
    You just contradicted yourself.... You said it's a huge thing and then it's not quantifiable. If it's not quantifiable, it cannot be assessed as a huge thing. That would require quantification... It's like when someone says "That player may not be the most skilful, but he has great intangibles qualities." If it's intangible, it can't be quantified.

People *want* to believe that a coach saying his team is better will antagonize the other team or make them play better. But someone would have to quantify this fairly to see if it's true. Indeed, it could be just observational bias. Maybe people remember the message-board quote after the target team wins the game or series, but when it's a loss (see: Montreal Limp Act on Wednesday), people forget it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes you're all correct, motivation is sports means nothing. Let's just keep telling Vancouver they're shit I am sure that won't have any effect at all. And you guys say I am argumentative?

BTW Rocker, your logic about "huge" and "quantifiable" is incorrect. Stating something is huge does not mean it's quantifiable. Quite the opposite. Descriptive words are often used when quantifying something is difficult or impossible to do. Nice try.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well...it makes for a great storyline!

#drama

Well done Winter. Man...he just doesn't get it. This guy shouldn't be in charge of an ice cream truck.
    comments like this can work both ways..in this case i agree with winter.....we are the defending champs....come and fucking get it if you can!......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like a 2:1 final for Vancouver in this one, but we'll get them back 1:0 at home and take the cup. They'll have too much competitive fire to keep a clean sheet and we're going to need to be aggressive as the away goal is too valuable here. Playing for the zero won't be the objective, especially after all the fun the boys had in the semi. DK will not be denied a goal, I don't think rust will be an issue and the time away should have allowed him to shake off his early misfortunes and come at them with a clear head.

Wednesday can't come soon enough.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    I don't see us sitting back at all in the 1st leg, we got 6 days to prepare, some fresh legs coming back (Soolsma had a bit of pace on Weds and DK is going to be back). Their backline will get tested, they are in NE tonight so they gotta fly back home across the continent to prepare for us after that while we catch our wind for now.

They also have a difficult tilt vs Seattle when we play @ DC, so they have a difficult stretch to balance all 4 matches in the next 11 days.
    It's not the fact that TFC will have had a rest weekend that I'm saying we should sit back. It's the fact that if we go and attack, and then Vancouver score a couple of goals (which is likely as they are stronger going forward this season) then the series could be over by this Wednesday! We need to keep the game within 1 goal to give us any chance of winning whole thing. If Vancouver win the first leg by 2, then the second leg they are going to shut up shop and give TFC no chance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As defending Canadian Champs, i would say we are the best team in Canada. To be the best you have to beat the best.

If Winter's Ice Cream company won best ice cream in Canada for 2011, he would then be the best ice cream maker in Canada until the 2012 vote.

Confidence means way more than blackboard material. Winter gives his team a confidence boost and some consider it a negative.

Pretty sure De Ro doesn't wait to see what other coaches have to say about him or his team before he amps up his play. If he's complimented by the other team's coaches, does he not play to his abilities?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes you're all correct, motivation is sports means nothing. Let's just keep telling Vancouver they're shit I am sure that won't have any effect at all. And you guys say I am argumentative?

BTW Rocker, your logic about "huge" and "quantifiable" is incorrect. Stating something is huge does not mean it's quantifiable. Quite the opposite. Descriptive words are often used when quantifying something is difficult or impossible to do. Nice try.
    Generally the more important the thing is, the harder to quantify....

Not sure, for example, Aguero's goal yesterday could be captured in a statistic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least we now know why we're 0-8 in mls play. Other teams have yet to say anything bad about us in the paper!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    You just contradicted yourself.... You said it's a huge thing and then it's not quantifiable. If it's not quantifiable, it cannot be assessed as a huge thing. That would require quantification... It's like when someone says "That player may not be the most skilful, but he has great intangibles qualities." If it's intangible, it can't be quantified.
    rget it.
    Naw that's wrong. You can say "so and so has a huge ego" - this statement can be 100% true and there is no measurement, scale or way to quantify it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    Naw that's wrong. You can say "so and so has a huge ego" - this statement can be 100% true and there is no measurement, scale or way to quantify it.
    ^Exactly. Nice example.

Wait...were you referring to me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can someone actually post a link to where Winter said we are the best team in Canada?? I recall he said that we were better than Montreal, nothing was mentioned about the Shitecaps..

So really the Shitecaps coach is setting up his own team trying to give them motivation and reducing the pressure on their players. Cause WHEN they lose, he can point to the underdog status. Also, if the team needs motivation for a cup final where the opposing team has beaten 3 years straight then maybe they have issues.

On that note we will lose 2-1 on the road with a late goal by Kovermans and we return to BMO for a win to clinch our 4 straight Canadian Championship.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Frings or Aceval for Wednesday's game in Vancouver:

Kurtis Larson ‏ @KurtLarSUN Winter: Frings not traveling #TFC
    Kurtis Larson ‏ @KurtLarSUN Winter: Aceval out for Wed. #TFC
    http://twitter.com/#!/kurtlarsun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ouch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With Frings out, I hope Dunfield is up to the task of sticking it to his former club.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Maybe they'll pull another Frings surprise on Vancouver?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im predicting we park the bus and maybe try to get an away goal but we loose this game folks. The home game is far more important.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vancouver isn't Montreal, they won't miss as badly as Montreal did. We NEED that away goal.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hassli has found his scoring touch the last couple of weeks, and Le Toux is a goal machine. They definitely won't spurn the chances that Montreal did!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to Winter, Danny Koevermans will be making the trip to Vancouver.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    The actually looked very disorganized at the back against NE tonight. That's the nature of this league though. Solid one week, schoolboys the next.
    How about Lee Nguyen just destroying the caps as well, ahah. Talk about irony after they cut the guy.

I'll admit I was kind of skeptical about Nguyen as well though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Hassli has found his scoring touch the last couple of weeks, and Le Toux is a goal machine. They definitely won't spurn the chances that Montreal did!
    But Vancouver is not scoring much this season. 10 goals in 10 league games.

Hassli and Le Toux may *look* dangerous at times but so far this season they aren't scoring much. Hassli has 2 goals. Le Toux has 3. Camilo has 2.

Remember that Reggie Lambe has 2 goals.... so that ain't much.

Where Vancouver has improved is not in offense but in defense.
    Last edited by rocker; 05-14-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope we pull the amazing upset and stick it to Vancouver and our own FO on the road. They are just waiting for Winter to lose these two matched and then Winter gets the can and that loser Jimmy takes over. Fuck that and fuck the FO

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the league doesn't mean anything-- why even play MLS. I'm sure there is a men's league somewhere in the GTA where we can play 4-6 games a year in and Winter will look like a coaching superstar and then we can play in Amway Super Duper Cup Supreme.

Funny how people's script's change to suit the need. If we were 8-0 in league play and just lost t MTL in both games by 4-1 scores, we'd be "That CCL thing is such BS" How it should always be:

League First. (PLAY-OFFS should be the goal)
    Amway Tupperwear Cup Second

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto View Post
    Funny how people's script's change to suit the need. If we were 8-0 in league play and just lost t MTL in both games by 4-1 scores, we'd be "That CCL thing is such BS..."
    I'll see your script change and raise you a "I hope we lose to Montreal so Winter gets fired".

Meh......

In every team where they compete in both cup and league, some people like the romance of the cup situation and others put league first. Those supporter opinions for TFC predate Winter @ TFC and will carry on long after he is gone. You may think its some nefarious logical discussion point..............but sometimes a desire to do well in the cup is just a desire to do well in the cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    See my sig.
    LOL, that's some Teddy Roosevelt zen shit right there.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto View Post
    Funny how people's script's change to suit the need. If we were 8-0 in league play and just lost t MTL in both games by 4-1 scores, we'd be "That CCL thing is such BS" How it should always be:

League First. (PLAY-OFFS should be the goal)
    Amway Tupperwear Cup Second
    i'll take it that to mean you never saw the endless threads discussing the merits of both.
    im not going to get into the european argument about CL play, and simply ask that you check out those threads, but i will say that the majority (and im talking 90%+) would be notably upset should we have gone 8-0 in the league but not win the VC. in fact, you'd hear the same argument: "why are we doing well in the league but not in CCL play?".

yes, the league is important, but you'll always find a divide on what's more important to supporters vs. the casual fan. personally i'd take champions league success over a domestic cup any day, and if the voyagers cup is our ticket to the dance, then we need to get that ticket punched in the first chance we get.

"how it should always be" = personal opinion,
    so let's try and avoid the hypothetical callout.