Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cann-Henry CB paring looked good. Cann to provide the muscle, Henry with the pace.

Mtl was on a 4 game unbeaten streak (2 wins, 2 draws) in all competitions, so they were a bit in form

Jeremy Hall may be this year's Mikael Yourassowsky, but with more pace and composure. Looks like that utility man who can play multiple positions. Seems to have a knack of making late runs just outside the box. On Game in 6, you can clearly see Ricketts make an excellent save on Hall's cutback shot
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking about the game, I wonder if Winter's problem isn't tactics but man management. We seem to do well in games where there is a natural reason to be up for it (semi-final of a championship), but poorly in run of the mill games. He doesn't seem to be able to motivate.

(Recognize this is hardly a new idea).
    Last edited by Canary10; 05-10-2012 at 10:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i love night games....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I was one of them. I didn't really start to appreciate him until end of last season
    hey fair enough man.......he had the injury to start last year and most really didn't start to notice him until the last CCL game with Dallas.....he was great in that one!

imo when DK is healthy I'd go with Johnson-----DK------Soolsma and keep Plata on the bench to sub in and run at tired defenders......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am happy for our players, they did great. I care more about the Canadian Championship and the CL then MLS, so I was very divided last night, I new a win would have the effect it is having on fans. It would induce a false sense that everything is hunky dory, well it is not. And anyone who has read my posts over the past 6 years, I am hardly always negative. But I refuse to be fooled.

But last nights game just confirms what some of us have been saying all along. This is not a 0-8 team, and the manager that can only get 0-8 out of this team, does not deserve to manage this team. This does not change, in fact this is further confirmed.

We have two weeks, Winter shuold be fired, and another coach should be given the reigns of this solid team before another season is lost. Again I love the CL, and now that we are in the finals we may as well go all the way, because if Winter is still in charge by then, and things have not turned aroud it will be too late for the MLS.

Henry has to be given the starting CB spot. JDG looked on is game again. And Ricketts defenitely touched that shot from Hall.

Again I do not hate winter, I would like him to suceed, but I support Toronto FC, not a manager, managment or ownership. I support the team that carries the name on my city on its shirt.
    Last edited by trane; 05-10-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    imo when DK is healthy I'd go with Johnson-----DK------Soolsma and keep Plata on the bench to sub in and run at tired defenders......
    It will be tough when everyone is healthy again....Lambe has definitely made a case to be one of the front 3.
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can appreciate that Soolsma has improved massively, but he still has some very definite shortcomings (as all MLS players do). He has an odd way of doing things at times. Last night I distinctly remember him standing off a ball that was passed to him from distance only to wait for it to bounce off the ground and go over the touch line, something I've observed him do on multiple occasions. Composure around the penalty area also lacking.

But hey, he can get in an accurate cross nine times out of ten, so if that's the goal then I think at the 75k or so we pay him that's a fair deal. I'd hold off calling him any kind of game-breaker as opposed to simply a worthwhile contributor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    It will be tough when everyone is healthy again....Lambe has definitely made a case to be one of the front 3.
    Aye was gonna say that too. He's finding himself in the right spots and making the most of them right now, not sure how you pull him out of the lineup at this moment.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Aye was gonna say that too. He's finding himself in the right spots and making the most of them right now, not sure how you pull him out of the lineup at this moment.
    Lambe is dfefinitely one of the in-form players at the moment. Kudos to him big time last night on his defending last night. Him dropping back to right back and playing well was a bonus. He gave 110% last night.
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sky View Post
    Ya, me and my boy were taunting them so I would like to take some credit for that rage

What a fucking high, I am going to ride that for a bit. Brought some friends for their first game and they LOVED it, totally sold!

What a game, I was pissed when they dropped back and played defensively as I think you should play like it is nil-nil until the end of the game, we could have had 3-0 easy.

2 rules:

Dont play a defensive soccer game

Never attack Russia during the winter.
    That is so true, no one ever wins playing defensive football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great game, but kocic still saved our asses one too many time. (and was out of position or couldnt pass properly a few times aswell).

the win was all heart and hustle. Which in MLS is what you really need because the skill level isnt there.

Dunfield still isnt worthy, he falls alot, has little skill, and is unathletic. Maybe a bench warmer, but I'd rather give that job youngster with more speed and skill.
    Im sure that meeting had something to do with him not starting. He had to have admitted to himself and the team that he isnt starting material

Question is, Do you put Koevs back in his place?
    He doesnt play the pressure game, and is fat and out of shape. Although maybe Frings and De Klerk can light a fire under his ass.
    I'd prefer he become at 70th minute sub.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the-lower-eastsider View Post
    so its all cupcakes and sprinkles tonite in TFC land isnt it? we beat an expansion side. at home. whoopee. newsflash: WERE EFFING SUPPOSED TO BEAT EXPANSION SIDES AT HOME. and the official website says "heroic effort". look they can spin it any way they want, were the laughing stock of the league. we still havent won a league match in 8 EFFING TRIES. and even worse, WE DONT EVEN HAVE ONE SINGLE EFFING DRAW IN THOSE EIGHT GAMES EITHER. FUCKING BLACKBURN WON OR DREW 15 FUCKING GAMES THIS YEAR AND THE SUPPORTERS PROTESTED MANAGMENT AND STEVE KEAN ALL FUCKING YEAR. EVERY FUCKING WEEK. AND THEY ONLY WENT DOWN ON THE SECOND LAST WEEK. AND WHAT DO WE DO??? NOTHING. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. WE CELEBRATE A ALMOST MEANINGLESS WIN AGAINST AN EXPANSION SIDE. GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK. WE SHOULD BE THROWING CHICKENS ON THE PITCH.

AND BY THE WAY, IF WE LOSE THE NEXT GAME AGAINST DC UNITED ON THE ROAD (WHICH THERES A GOOD CHANCE THAT WE WILL), THEN WE HAVE TO WIN AT HOME ON THE 26TH AGAINST PHILLY TO AVOID TYING THE ALL-TIME MLS RECORD FOR FUTILITY (MOST LOSSES IN A ROW) -10. LOSE THAT AND THEN ITS OFF TO KANSAS CITY FOR PROLLY ANOTHER LOSS. WHICH WOULD BRING US TO 12. AND COUNTING.
    I'M GOIN TO BED.

That is our season goal, to beat the impact and not to tie the MLS all time lossing streak. hahahahahahaaha.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

hey fair enough man.......he had the injury to start last year and most really didn't start to notice him until the last CCL game with Dallas.....he was great in that one!

It's nice to have this problem and IMO it'll work to our advantage if the players are managed correctly.
    it's a very diverse group of players here. If we are in a situation where one style of play isn't working, we have the ability to change up the pace and try something different.

I think the DK/Johnson/Soolsma line would work for a strong style of attack where a Plata/Johnson/Lambe would be more of an all our "styled" attack.

I think Avila can play both those games, but Silva is only a "styled" attacking player. Will be interesting to see how the midfield switches to accommodate.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vancouver offers different challenges....it will be interesting to see how we approach the matchup. I say this style of lineup suits us better against vancouver.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    We're in the final because we played a defensive 1st leg. Sorry, but that's wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Great game, but kocic still saved our asses one too many time. (and was out of position or couldnt pass properly a few times aswell).

the win was all heart and hustle. Which in MLS is what you really need because the skill level isnt there.

Dunfield still isnt worthy, he falls alot, has little skill, and is unathletic. Maybe a bench warmer, but I'd rather give that job youngster with more speed and skill.
    Im sure that meeting had something to do with him not starting. He had to have admitted to himself and the team that he isnt starting material

Question is, Do you put Koevs back in his place?
    He doesnt play the pressure game, and is fat and out of shape. Although maybe Frings and De Klerk can light a fire under his ass.
    I'd prefer he become at 70th minute sub.
    Well Johnson is no central striker, so yeah.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Didn't Italy win the World Cup playing defensive soccer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Yep, he's more suited outside or playing underneath DK. Decent in replacement for when DK is unavailable though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah that's true....Lambe has been playing well the past few weeks......

It's nice to have this problem and IMO it'll work to our advantage if the players are managed correctly.
    it's a very diverse group of players here. If we are in a situation where one style of play isn't working, we have the ability to change up the pace and try something different.

I think the DK/Johnson/Soolsma line would work for a strong style of attack where a Plata/Johnson/Lambe would be more of an all our "styled" attack.

I think Avila can play both those games, but Silva is only a "styled" attacking player. Will be interesting to see how the midfield switches to accommodate.
    that's fair to say......would be a nice problem to have providing we can string some wins together now......

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I kinda disagree. There are similarities to how RJ plays when Maicon Santos played in Toronto, that RJ isn't very good at holding the ball in CF role, but I think RJ can play lone striker under certain conditions. As a slasher striker, he's become better on off the ball movements, plus with decent dribbling and ability to play in winger role has him stretching the defence so that it's not easy to man mark him out of the game, like Maicon Santos was. TFC really shouldn't be lofting long balls to RJ in any case, but play the ball on the ground
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    We're in the final because we played a defensive 1st leg. Sorry, but that's wrong.

Sorry, but I was being sarcastic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not necessarily......they had a great defense but also scored in '06......they had only two games where they scored 1 goal (1-0 v Australia in R16 and 1-1 in the final).....defense was the foundation but they scored too.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I figured that after me posting about the virtues of defensive football for the past 5 years, the post would have been recognized as sarcastic, with out me having to list all the victories of devensice football. ( most recenlty Chelsea over Barca)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

yeah that's true....Lambe has been playing well the past few weeks......

that's fair to say......would be a nice problem to have providing we can string some wins together now......
    and this is based on the fact that we continue to play the way we are. It's a nice problem when they play like they did last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed, he's working his ass off but overall that's not his best spot. Push him out wide and move Plata to the bench.

I think we get fooled sometimes that our smaller wide players have good games when they are purposely given space so the other team can counter attack us (RSL, Chicago) or when they go against weaker opposition (last night). RJ is just more versatile than either Lambe or Plata, and while his 'vision' at times drives me nuts, he's probably the best attacking player we have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, but I was being sarcastic.
    Ha! I caught that one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great win despite being a man down. Hopefully this win carries over in league play.

Hopefully TFC can convince CSA to let Eckersley play next game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and this is based on the fact that we continue to play the way we are. It's a nice problem when they play like they did last night.
    absolutely.....hope games like last night are not the exception though.....we need 3-4 more of those in a row.....imo when Ryan Johnson says something like "he has our back and we have his" about Winter that is not just lip service.......the players may genuinely like the man, regardless of what the relationship is within FO.....players and coach have to stick together.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lambe is dfefinitely one of the in-form players at the moment. Kudos to him big time last night on his defending last night. Him dropping back to right back and playing well was a bonus. He gave 110% last night.
    I'll second that!

I was sceptical! but seems like he has found the pace of the game.

Still not fully decisive but atm clutch.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleUp View Post
    I'll second that!

I was sceptical! but seems like he has found the pace of the game.

Still not fully decisive but atm clutch.
    I attribute his in-form play to the amount of FIFA he plays....all he talks about on his twitter is playing that game. Maybe he has been studying his moves....