Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Aye, they did. Was also impressed with Jeremy Hall's hustle. His sliding block at the top of the box in the 2nd half was a thing of beauty.

especially considering he recently just returned from longterm injury.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    Reminds me of one of my favourite Homer quotes - "Well, I'm tired of being a wannabe league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!"
    I blame the alcohol last night!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    Silly Montrealers, don't they know that teams dressed in blue and white have a hard time playing in Toronto.

Please let this continue vs Honduras June 12!!!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    Silly Montrealers, don't they know that teams dressed in blue and white have a hard time playing in Toronto.

x googleplex. amazing. I'm glad we did them last night, i hope this is a genuine resurgence and not just 1 spark in an otherwise blackhole of poor play. com'on TFC!!!

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Also, for the love of god, 20 year old clubs who promote leagues are not expansion sides. I don't care what anyone says, that is not an expansion club and neither was Portland or Vancouver.
    .. or Seattle. I agree with your point (hopefully no-one brings up Philadelphia).
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Hall's shot late in the game was a great strike as well. That was going to curl just inside the post but Ricketts got enough to steer it wide. That dolt Gantar missed that though and gave the goal kick.
    I am in 115 and I saw the save clear as day. If he didn't get a touch on it....it was a goal. I have no clue how the linesman and ref missed Ricketts touching it. I was freaking out.

Ricketts is very smart to pretend as if he didn't touch it though...veteran keeper and a veteran move. Still hate him though....lol
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Really impressed with Hall last night. No one really seemed to think much of his acquisition, but after last night, you're kind of left wondering why Dallas let him go? Only one game mind you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    I am in 115 and I saw the save clear as day. If he didn't get a touch on it....it was a goal. I have no clue how the linesman and ref missed Ricketts touching it. I was freaking out.

Ricketts is very smart to pretend as if he didn't touch it though...veteran keeper and a veteran move. Still hate him though....lol
    I love Kocic and Frei - but you can really make a case for having a veteran like Ricketts in goal. This is something TFC could really be missing - some old eyes in goal looking over everything. Ricketts pulled off some fantastic saves last night.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Really impressed with Hall last night. No one really seemed to think much of his acquisition, but after last night, you're kind of left wondering why Dallas let him go? Only one game mind you.
    If you had only seen one TFC game this season last night, you would think they were all wonderkids, mind you! JDG played like a man inspired. How if only he could play like that the rest of the time! Even Dunfield came on and looked good!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol aye. That was great on his part, didn't even as much as flinch to suggest he touched it. That's an international mentality, every little thing to your advantage and complete emotional control to show nothing to suggest you know it's a corner.

I can see Hall netting us a couple to a few goals over this season if he keeps doing what he's doing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    I love Kocic and Frei - but you can really make a case for having a veteran like Ricketts in goal. This is something TFC could really be missing - some old eyes in goal looking over everything. Ricketts pulled off some fantastic saves last night.
    As much as I hate the man...Ricketts is a very solid keeper. Very calm and cool under pressure. Booming kick, towering body, commands the box well. He really played fantasically last night.......the scoreline could have easily been 4-0. Some spectacular stops by him for sure...
    Last edited by Ageroo; 05-10-2012 at 09:17 AM. Reason: spelling
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huyton View Post
    Row 15, Seat 15.

The back of 127 started several chants that spread to the rest of the section. I've mentioned to NEE that rather than complaining that the back of 127 is quiet, and that we don't join in, they should move back so we can hear them. It's tough to join in stuff you can't hear!

Anyway, it was good in that there are normally a lot of tourists, but at least they tended to join in the simple stuff. Simple and loud beats quiet and complex.
    or you guys who want to participate can come and introduce yourselves before the game and spend it down front with us......doesn't really make sense to put a group in the back......but it hasn't been the greatest season so far for us, but it seems to be the same stadium wide anyways.....last night was a bit better but far from what is acceptable to us in 127.....

and to clarify some assumptions, NEE is still an active supporters group.......but some downsizing happened in the offseason so we're basically regrouping this year......

so yeah Huyton, come on down and let us know who you are.....its a lot easier to be included when we know who you are....that's the way we've always worked.......btw I'm NEE's drummer......but let's discuss NEE matters on NEE's board as opposed to here........
    Last edited by TFC Tifoso; 05-10-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    If you had only seen one TFC game this season last night, you would think they were all wonderkids, mind you! JDG played like a man inspired. How if only he could play like that the rest of the time! Even Dunfield came on and looked good!
    I'm thinking Dunfield should only be brought on in the final minutes to kill a game.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my throat hurts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was a great night!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    I'm thinking Dunfield should only be brought on in the final minutes to kill a game.
    Or a man....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Please share the lyrics with us here and I'll throw it in our Chants section for posterity!
    It changes every year, and was slightly toned down this year, but here's the version we were singing last night:

(to the tune of Alouette)

Chorus:
    Beat the Impact
    Beat the fucking Limp Act
    Beat the Impact
    Back to Montreal

Leader: Do you live in Outremont?
    Response: (do you live in Outremont?)
    Leader: Outremont!
    Response: (Outremont)
    Leader: F*cking C*nt!
    Response: (F*cking c*nt!)

Oooohhhhh
    (Chorus)

Other verses:

Are you in the FLQ?
    FLQ!
    Who are you?

Where'd ya put Pierre Laporte?
    Pierre Laporte!
    Il est mort!

Would ya do Celine Dione?
    Celine Dione
    Condom on

Did you like Rene Levesque?
    Rene Levesque
    Fuckin' prick!

Do you take the Nutralite?
    Nutralite!
    Fucking shite!

Oui nous sommes les tętes carrés
    Tętes carrés
    Fuckin' A!

After every verse, just like in "Alouette," you sing the last two lines from each previous verse before the chorus.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome game, awesome effort, awesome result.

Frings was the pinnacle of professionalism last night, absolutely fantastic. Young Henry had a great game too. And the ability to hold out against some very decent attacking by Montreal in the second half gives me a shred of new hope for our back line.

That said, I'm still unconvinced that Kocic is a great goal keeper because of his overly aggressive off-the-line moves that frequently left him exposed.

Bob DeKlerk needs valium, badly.

Winter should still be fired. Someone else said that the victory shows that these guys aren't an 0-8 team and that there's something else wrong with the club. Winter is that "something else."

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    The one thing he has on his side is his speed. If he makes a mistake he has a chance to bail himself out. It's a good attribute to have as long as player does not need to rely solely on it. It will also be good to have some competition for starting spots on out back line.

We had a number of players turn in a good performance last night and that was the difference. From the line-up Winter put out there to the player's execution. I'm tempering my excitement form last night's win to this one game. The big challenge to the coaches and players is to see if they can replicate this a second time. Then a third. Time will tell if this is a one-off or an actual change in direction.

But nothing is better than handing Montreal their collective asses to themselves!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was pleasantly surprised by the early goal, and then quite worried for TFC after the red card was shown to Eckersley (I didn't understand that decision as my impression was that Eckersley was the player who was fouled). The players could have convinced themselves that they are just snake bitten and shut down. However, TFC battled through adversity and did not look like a team which were playing a man short for almost 75 minutes. Montreal only needed a scoring tie to advance. The whole team really stepped it up. I'm proud of them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Avila, JDG and Frings midfield is the one I want to see going forward. They all played well and seemed to work very well with each other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As others have mentioned, Doneil Henry was fantastic last night, and I think he is a testament to the Academy. If he keeps it up, he should defintely supplant Aceval as a starting CB moving forward. Likewise, I was also very impressed with Jeremy Hall, who demonstrated the ability to fill in seamlessly for Ecks at RB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    I'm tempering my excitement form last night's win to this one game. The big challenge to the coaches and players is to see if they can replicate this a second time. Then a third. Time will tell if this is a one-off or an actual change in direction.
    It's only going to get tougher. TFC will have to continue to fight hard, find that extra gear, and not give up. Vancouver is a quality opponent with excellent talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    But nothing is better than handing Montreal their collective asses to themselves!
    Priceless. Let's break Vancouver's heart too and make a MasterCard commercial.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Or a man....
    We were having a laugh last night when Dunfield came on.

The only reason you bring on Dunfield is to get the ball as far away from our goal as possible. This is the conversation you'd have with him if you were the manager:

"Don't pass, Don't shoot, don't run with the ball as a matter of fact don't hold on to the ball for longer than 2 seconds - Just kick it as hard and as far as you can away from our goal. And if you need to slide tackle someone in order to do that, take out their knees in the process."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Soolsma was a boss last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    Winter should still be fired. Someone else said that the victory shows that these guys aren't an 0-8 team and that there's something else wrong with the club. Winter is that "something else."
    Maybe, maybe not. Winter was brought in as part of a huge overhaul and some very big plans (might even say arrogant plans) and big talk. He was given a mandate. If that mandate has changed (maybe that's what happened four games ago in his meeting with Anselmi) and immediate results are being given a higher priority than 'progress,' then maybe Winter isn't the problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just popperd in to say that Im not hiding or failing to say positive things about the team when they are doing well. They did great.

Im just fucking busy. The lads did awesome last night, and Im as delighted as I am amazed.

I still dont think ill be wearing that Everton shirt at seasons end, and Winter is on stolen time.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post

But for heaven's sakes...1 win and many are forgetting the 8 losses behind it.
    Welcome to the Toronto sports scene. After next win, we're heading to the MLS Cup final.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Soolsma was a boss last night.
    I would say Soolsma is our second best overall player behind Frings.......sure he 's slow as hell but when you have the technical ability and ability to leave a man flat footed 1 v 1, you're always going to have a head start on him......that works to Soolsma's advantage because when he does beat his man he doesn't have too much more up the field to go before he can put in a cross or cut inside to shoot......been a fan of his since mid last year......too many people pointed to his lack of pace and never paid attention to his technical ability.....

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    I would say Soolsma is our second best overall player behind Frings.......sure he 's slow as hell but when you have the technical ability and ability to leave a man flat footed 1 v 1, you're always going to have a head start on him......that works to Soolsma's advantage because when he does beat his man he doesn't have too much more up the field to go before he can put in a cross or cut inside to shoot......been a fan of his since mid last year......too many people pointed to his lack of pace and never paid attention to his technical ability.....
    I was one of them. I didn't really start to appreciate him until end of last season