Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower View Post
    I didn't watch the KC game so I can't comment on that performance, But while we played very well, MTL were fucking horrible. What we don't need is too run away with expectations now. We are still in for a VERY long season.
    So the way we played had nothing to do with making them look horrible??

Nobody is running away with expectations. People are just enjoying a win against our enemies in the Canadian championship. Enjoy it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    I don't want this team to be a one trick pony playing well ONLY in league games. We HAVE to play like that in league games.
    Reminds me of one of my favourite Homer quotes - "Well, I'm tired of being a wannabe league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sally Mack View Post
    I'm pretty sure that part is pure fiction (I hope it is!). It was reported by the same fake account who is claiming RPB accepts bribes from MLSE.
    The person that I read it from was not that same person, but I hope you are right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    ^^^ I think the-lower-eastsider might need to get his keyboard fixed.

Other than that, I agree we shouldn't get too high about the game tonight, reality will hit us again soon & let's see how well that turns out.

Just to note: that "expansion team" hadn't conceded a goal in 290 minutes before this game, and they beat the best team in the league this past weekend. Just sayin'...
    yeah... funny how one day certain people say "wow, Montreal is so great.. wish we were them! they are awesome! I wanna suck off Joey Saputo! They beat KC, one of the best teams in the east! they aren't the usual expansion team!"

and then when we beat them it's "Montreal is an expansion team, we should beat them. Don't get so excited. They were horrible. We were lucky."

Can't have it both ways people. This is the same stuff people said when Montreal and Vancouver were in the NASL. Always having to qualify everything... geezus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Working weird hours and out of the country mean I've missed the last 3 games but I'm still reading the boards when possible. Great to hear about a good performance and a win (the two don't always come together). Very interesting to not see the games and instead read the comments here. Many thoughtful comments in fact... plus a couple of fatiguing posters who seem to be using the boards to lobby for a coaching change more than there are discussing the games. I hear they are they on Steve Nicol's payroll - Jennifer Benson told me... kidding.. kidding....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yagbod View Post
    Sorry to bring the mood down, but a lot of shit went down after the game. I don't know all the details yet but:

- my wife was spat upon twice as we walked by the IMFC section after the game

- I saw the IMFC fans throw a lit flare at others walking by.

- someone on twitter is reporting that 30 IMFC fans assaulted a group of RPB's leaving four of them injured.

- I saw security and possibly police fighting with IMFC fans after the match. A number of them have been arrested, by some accounts.

I am sure more of this will come to light, but plainly IMFC fans need to be banned from further travel to BMO field or this violence will escalate. And I mean it 'will escalate'.

Again, sorry to be a downer but I am really pissed off right now. I hope our members are ok and not badly hurt.
    Saw some of this go down. The flare drew our attention from the mashup at gate 3, everybody went over there, looked like some pretty serious scuffles going on between Impact fans and security up in the stands. Fucking clowns throwing a flare into a crowd of people. Unbelievable. Hope they saw who did it, they were surrounded by security when it happened. Not sure about the RPB getting attacked story, but it seemed there were some TFC fans there who were geared towards waiting for the Impact supporters to get let out to start some shit, or 'get revenge'. Fairly certain none of them were RPB though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    So the way we played had nothing to do with making them look horrible??

Nobody is running away with expectations. People are just enjoying a win against our enemies in the Canadian championship. Enjoy it.
    possibly, however the impact did have many chances to score, including a few open nets. We played better but we have played better than half the teams we have played against this season and still lost. on another day ( a league day) this could quite possibly have been another game to add to the loss column.

Still a fantastic win though. all credit too the boys for playing hard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Henry and Morgan were both great tonight. Dunfield also did his job when he came on. Eat it Pookie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing that impressed me tonight was the way the team responded to the red card. We dominated the next 10 or 15 minutes, pushing Montreal back deep in their own half and getting that second goal.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    Kudos.

I was just happy to see the team press even though they went down a man.

As happy as I am with the victory, it just leaves me more frustrated as to why... LOL
    Same boat, Vic. Great performance tonight. Hopefully they prove it wasn't an aberration going forward.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the-lower-eastsider View Post
    so its all cupcakes and sprinkles tonite in TFC land isnt it? we beat an expansion side. at home. whoopee. newsflash: WERE EFFING SUPPOSED TO BEAT EXPANSION SIDES AT HOME. and the official website says "heroic effort". look they can spin it any way they want, were the laughing stock of the league. we still havent won a league match in 8 EFFING TRIES. and even worse, WE DONT EVEN HAVE ONE SINGLE EFFING DRAW IN THOSE EIGHT GAMES EITHER. FUCKING BLACKBURN WON OR DREW 15 FUCKING GAMES THIS YEAR AND THE SUPPORTERS PROTESTED MANAGMENT AND STEVE KEAN ALL FUCKING YEAR. EVERY FUCKING WEEK. AND THEY ONLY WENT DOWN ON THE SECOND LAST WEEK. AND WHAT DO WE DO??? NOTHING. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. WE CELEBRATE A ALMOST MEANINGLESS WIN AGAINST AN EXPANSION SIDE. GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK. WE SHOULD BE THROWING CHICKENS ON THE PITCH.

AND BY THE WAY, IF WE LOSE THE NEXT GAME AGAINST DC UNITED ON THE ROAD (WHICH THERES A GOOD CHANCE THAT WE WILL), THEN WE HAVE TO WIN AT HOME ON THE 26TH AGAINST PHILLY TO AVOID TYING THE ALL-TIME MLS RECORD FOR FUTILITY (MOST LOSSES IN A ROW) -10. LOSE THAT AND THEN ITS OFF TO KANSAS CITY FOR PROLLY ANOTHER LOSS. WHICH WOULD BRING US TO 12. AND COUNTING.
    I'M GOIN TO BED.
    1) The win wasn't "meaningless" - it moves us forward to the final of the NCC
    2) Yeah, we should beat expansion teams, but if you haven't noticed, that hasn't exactly been a given to this point. A win is a win, and feels good after losing eight games in a row. Don't be an idiot.
    3) The rest of your post has sweet fuck all to do with the game tonight, so I will ask you to turn your caps lock off, and take that shit to the existing threads already discussing (at length) our league losing skid.

And while we are on the topic of you berating other people for doing "NOTHING. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING" - what exactly have you done? Do you get action points for giving frowny-faced opinions on the internet?

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting post-game interviews with the players, who said the meeting resulted in a tactical decision to press higher up the field from now on (which is how most of the league plays). Certainly showed tonight. Montreal wasn't used to having to move the ball around at that pace and ended out playing a lot of long, unpredictable shit out of the back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Interesting post-game interviews with the players, who said the meeting resulted in a tactical decision to press higher up the field from now on (which is how most of the league plays). Certainly showed tonight. Montreal wasn't used to having to move the ball around at that pace and ended out playing a lot of long, unpredictable shit out of the back.
    Pressing up the field is the key. Besides forcing the opposition to rush their offence it keeps the players aggressive instead of passive. This should be their style with the players they have.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm very happy for our boys of the field. They showed confidence, determination and skill last night.

I'm at a loss for words regarding the officiating. How could so many calls (or non-calls(?)) occur in a single game? This has to be addressed or tempers are going boil over a-la-DeKlerk.

Our defense looked the part last night. If we can keep that level up and continue to find the back of the net - I'm cautiously optimisitic.

Pressing high and seeing so many of our players play two-way was a refreshing change.

Winter haters seem surprisingly quiet.
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOMIN8R View Post
    Winter haters seem surprisingly quiet.
    Let's try to keep this stuff out of the discussion, please. I know you don't mean anything diabolical by it, but it will only end badly.

Thanks.

- Scott

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There were a lot of positives from last night. It's time to enjoy it for a day. Even if that enjoyment is for the sole reason of beating the Impact and putting them out of the tournament - again.

But alas, it's just one game. The big test now is to see if we can build on this.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yagbod View Post
    Sorry to bring the mood down, but a lot of shit went down after the game. I don't know all the details yet but:

- my wife was spat upon twice as we walked by the IMFC section after the game

- I saw the IMFC fans throw a lit flare at others walking by.

- someone on twitter is reporting that 30 IMFC fans assaulted a group of RPB's leaving four of them injured.

- I saw security and possibly police fighting with IMFC fans after the match. A number of them have been arrested, by some accounts.

I am sure more of this will come to light, but plainly IMFC fans need to be banned from further travel to BMO field or this violence will escalate. And I mean it 'will escalate'.

Again, sorry to be a downer but I am really pissed off right now. I hope our members are ok and not badly hurt.
    Sorry to hear that. IMFC fans are pure scum. I've had my own close calls with stuff being thrown by them as I was exiting BMO. Just makes me happy knowing they had the long ride back to Montreal (or perhaps in this case, a night in the slammer).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    A group in 110 had a cheer that involved celine dion and c--t, but due to the wind I couldnt make out many other words.
    Great times indeed.
    That was the Celine Dionne song, sung only at Impact games -- first time in two years we've been able to sing it!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last night was the first important home game of the campaign and boys in red gave me a real show. Going down a man and still moving on in the tournament is more than I expected but hope springs anew next Wednesday. Play for the win boys cause it's gonna be tough on the away leg!!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roca View Post
    That was the Celine Dionne song, sung only at Impact games -- first time in two years we've been able to sing it!
    Please share the lyrics with us here and I'll throw it in our Chants section for posterity!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If there was one thing to attribute this win to, it was hustle. I haven't seen this team hustle like that all season. They were first to the ball; When a player lost the ball they didn't just stand around and watch, they actually fought to win the ball back; In open play they moved to open space. It was a earned victory.

Another thing I saw was they were calm on the ball. Very smart passing - not just booting the ball around aimlessly. When they were in trouble, they calmly moved the ball and passed it off..TO OUR PLAYERS..unlike other games where we've passed it right to the opposition.

Hope this style of game continues.

As a side note: loved the way they executed the 4-2-3 when they went down a man. Was very well executed having 1 of the forwards drop to support the mids when needed and then back up front when they went on the attack.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 05-10-2012 at 07:14 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was De Klerk going after the rep.. or the Montreal coach? I couldn't tell.

But he was on fire, that's for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"0-0 is a terrible road result"

"Canadians are our problem"

LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the-lower-eastsider View Post
    so its all cupcakes and sprinkles tonite in TFC land isnt it? we beat an expansion side. at home. whoopee. newsflash: WERE EFFING SUPPOSED TO BEAT EXPANSION SIDES AT HOME. and the official website says "heroic effort". look they can spin it any way they want, were the laughing stock of the league. we still havent won a league match in 8 EFFING TRIES. and even worse, WE DONT EVEN HAVE ONE SINGLE EFFING DRAW IN THOSE EIGHT GAMES EITHER. FUCKING BLACKBURN WON OR DREW 15 FUCKING GAMES THIS YEAR AND THE SUPPORTERS PROTESTED MANAGMENT AND STEVE KEAN ALL FUCKING YEAR. EVERY FUCKING WEEK. AND THEY ONLY WENT DOWN ON THE SECOND LAST WEEK. AND WHAT DO WE DO??? NOTHING. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. WE CELEBRATE A ALMOST MEANINGLESS WIN AGAINST AN EXPANSION SIDE. GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK. WE SHOULD BE THROWING CHICKENS ON THE PITCH.

AND BY THE WAY, IF WE LOSE THE NEXT GAME AGAINST DC UNITED ON THE ROAD (WHICH THERES A GOOD CHANCE THAT WE WILL), THEN WE HAVE TO WIN AT HOME ON THE 26TH AGAINST PHILLY TO AVOID TYING THE ALL-TIME MLS RECORD FOR FUTILITY (MOST LOSSES IN A ROW) -10. LOSE THAT AND THEN ITS OFF TO KANSAS CITY FOR PROLLY ANOTHER LOSS. WHICH WOULD BRING US TO 12. AND COUNTING.
    I'M GOIN TO BED.
    Going to bed was probably the best thing you could have done.

I'd hate to see your reaction if we lost!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    If there was one thing to attribute this win to, it was hustle. I haven't seen this team hustle like that all season. They were first to the ball; When a player lost the ball they didn't just stand around and watch, they actually fought to win the ball back; In open play they moved to open space. It was a earned victory.

Another thing I saw was we they were calm on the ball. Very smart passing - not just booting the ball around aimlessly. When they were in trouble, they calmly moved the ball and passed it off..TO OUR PLAYERS..unlike other games where we've passed it right to the opposition.

Hope this style of game continues.

As a side note: loved the way they executed the 4-2-3 when they went down a man. Was very well executed having 1 of the forwards drop to support the mids when needed and then back up front when they went on the attack.
    I thought they interchanged more than that.

Lambe was playing the entire wing really, stopping pushing forward as much when he got gassed but he playing all the way to the back defensively. Also saw Cann and Dunfield get up in the attacking mid spots and everyone properly rotated around smoothly to keep form. Everyone was fantastic truly. Henry was a stalwart back there.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    I thought they interchanged more than that.

Lambe was playing the entire wing really, stopping pushing forward as much when he got gassed but he playing all the way to the back defensively. Also saw Cann and Dunfield get up in the attacking mid spots and everyone properly rotated around smoothly to keep form. Everyone was fantastic truly. Henry was a stalwart back there.
    I think Lambe got dropped back to D replacing Eckersley on the outside. Gave him the ability to run the wings as he did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very good team performance, good to see Plata back looking dangerous again, everytime he had the ball you were expecting something good to happen, which really hasn't been the case with him this season so far.

I even thought the much maligned Dunfield was very effective when he came on.
    Lambe is certainly starting to get amongst goals which is great also.

Fans tonight were amazing, haven't seen an atmosphere like that since the early days

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
    Pressing up the field is the key. Besides forcing the opposition to rush their offence it keeps the players aggressive instead of passive. This should be their style with the players they have.
    Also very important on a league where the defensive players aren't all tha comfortable on the ball

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

After last night I think we might see the team come out of it's shell - take more chances.

That we were playing with 10 men wasn't at all noticeable until late in the game when the lads were visibly gassed. Until that point they were moving into space, overlapping and pressing so well Montreal couldn't get into a rhythmn.

They decided to believe in themselves and play with confidence - something they've not done for quite a while.

I call it the Wile E. Coyote principle. He runs off the edge off a cliff and keeps running - no problems - until he looks down. Only when he stops to consider his predicament does he fall.

If the team just plays to it's ability, and everyone has faith in each other to do their jobs then this will be the result more often than not.

Last night they had no option. Especially after going a man down. But they were incredible. And even at the end of the game when they had no strength left they still gave Montreal problems.

Hopefully this was an awakening for the lads and we'll get to see more of this.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great performance by the team. Seems like they raised their level with their backs against the wall. Let's hope we continue to see performances like this.

There's no need to goad the Winter critics. We are TFC fans too and want nothing more than to see TFC succeed. Winter is still hanging by a thread though. Its going to take a couple of weeks with performances like this to save his job now. But he did survive Anselmi's '4 game test'.

Can't wait for Wednesday now and especially May 23. I'm assuming 10pm kick off next week. I don't see anything on the TFC website yet.

By the way, did anyone catch the official attendance numbers?

Edit: 15,016 was the announced attendance. Debatable numbers as always.
    Last edited by narduch; 05-10-2012 at 07:58 AM.