Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Niagara Region. Anywhere the RPB are Supporting TFC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Instead of who we should get rid of, who should we keep.

I keep seeing thread and comments about who we should get rid of, who on our current roster should we keep.

I not one of these flaky supporters who are giving up on TFC, I'm sticking by them all the way, but this year is done play some academy players, try new formations, try players at dif positions, etc etc

Keep
    Henry
    Morgan
    Plata
    Avila
    Silva
    Johnson
    Stinson
    Soolsma
    Lambe
    Frings
    Eckerley
    Kocic
    Frei

Anyone you think should be removed
    Last edited by Doucet3; 05-06-2012 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Spelling

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to see what a real manager can do with this $8million roster. I'd like to keep them and give a competent coach the rest of the year to show us what they can do.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So...who would you like to see brought in?

There's lots of noise about Steve Nicol, but with many of the Euro leagues ending their seasons, who is likely to lose their job that you'd like to see?

Or is there some dark horse candidate you'd prefer, like Rafa Carbajal (currently with Oakville Soccer Club)?

Or should we try a Player-Manager and promote Torsten Frings? Hmmm...could this be a way to get a fourth DP?
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huyton View Post
    So...who would you like to see brought in?

There's lots of noise about Steve Nicol, but with many of the Euro leagues ending their seasons, who is likely to lose their job that you'd like to see?

Or is there some dark horse candidate you'd prefer, like Rafa Carbajal (currently with Oakville Soccer Club)?

Or should we try a Player-Manager and promote Torsten Frings? Hmmm...could this be a way to get a fourth DP?
    You just blew my mind with this post, definitely a top candidate given that the MLS is capable of promoting even the most average players to the head coaching positions. He also has insight into the mess in the dressing room and management. If his season is over, I think he would be the best choice available, should the MLSE Gremlins decide to dump Winter.

MY VOTE IS FOR FRINGS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    You just blew my mind with this post, definitely a top candidate given that the MLS is capable of promoting even the most average players to the head coaching positions. He also has insight into the mess in the dressing room and management. If his season is over, I think he would be the best choice available, should the MLSE Gremlins decide to dump Winter.

MY VOTE IS FOR FRINGS.
    So replace a rookie coach with an even rookier one and add more DPs then. Insert definition of insanity quote here....

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MY VOTE IS FOR FRINGS.
    That's actually quite a clever idea, at least from a cap-management perspective. Pay Frings $10k as a player, and a mil and a half as a coach.

However, you have the same risk that you have with any player making the step to manager. He could be a Jason Kreis or he could be a Ruud Gullit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow that was fast. Topic changed to management after 1 post. Is that a new record?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I want to see what a real manager can do with this $8million roster. I'd like to keep them and give a competent coach the rest of the year to show us what they can do.
    Agreed. I would prefer to keep the current roster intact for the time being and see what this group is capable of with another coach at the helm before tearing the roster apart yet again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

list is missing danny koevermans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we have a pretty good squad talent wise, however it always seems like they are always trying to do too much with the ball. Ashton Morgan seems like he has a great future, but he is not a right back who should be allowed to push forward as far as he does. Same goes for Eckersley on the other side. Get a new coach who understands what he is dealing with in terms of players instead of what his VISION is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    Wow that was fast. Topic changed to management after 1 post. Is that a new record?
    OK, it was a two foot dive but it wasn't a red card. C'mon its still a good idea

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MY VOTE IS FOR FRINGS.

Another flyer on an unproven manager with no MLS experience?

Are you guys not learning the harsh lessons that TFC continues to have to go through?

It's like you guys get caught up in the celebrity of a manager as opposed to their qualifications! No wonder MoJo and Winter have been allowed to fuck up this club for such long periods of time.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post

Good point, I didn't even realize it.

I think the problem many of us have is that we don't believe this squad is as bad as it's record and until we know what it's capable of, how can anyone decide who to get rid of?

It's a moot point anyways, we're pushing up against salary cap limits, our DPs have guaranteed contracts and we won't be moving anyone. So bring in a manager that can make this team perform to it's potential.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An exact version of this thread has appeared on these boards for six years running now.

If my day/week slows down I will go back and provide proof in the form of links.

Constant turnover is not the answer. There is some quality on the roster. They just look lost out there.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Another flyer on an unproven manager with no MLS experience?

Are you guys not learning the harsh lessons that TFC continues to have to go through?

It's like you guys get caught up in the celebrity of a manager as opposed to their qualifications! No wonder MoJo and Winter have been allowed to fuck up this club for such long periods of time.
    Well, at least he's got to have some knowledge of the league, having played in it for a while (not long, but long enough to get an impression). That's more than can be said for Winter.

Still, I agree that it's a bit of a stretch.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read an argument yesterday that TFC is actually WORSE than what people think, and Winter managed to get more out of them late last year and through the CCL than they should be capable. Not saying I agree with that, but it's interesting. Rollins had a pretty good piece last week about how young TFC is. Our average starting line-up is close to the youngest in the league. I think there is something to be said that our balance is off in terms of players, although I personally agree with everyone who says the team is much better than the record.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep them all, but I'd like to see, apart from injuries, a settled team selection, allowing the players to get used to each other. Pases are going astray, assignments are being missed and marking is not being covered becasue players have no idea what their teammates are going to do. Allowing them a few games together should help this.

So, keep them all. Identify what SHOULD be our strongest line up and stick with it, only swapping out due to injury and substitutions.

As for the Player-Manager thing, I was wondering how to get instant credibility with a new coach, and realized that (according to what I hear, anyway), Frings commands the utmost respect from his teammates.

Yes, I'd much rather hire the best damn coach with MLS experience that there is. Hire the entire front office from Real Salt Lake if you have to, or get Steve Nicol. But Frings might be worthwhile until this is done.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frings is the only one on the club that can really speak out to the manager. No one else has played at a level where they can credibly argue with Aron Winter given the level he's played at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would keep the fans.

They seem to be agitated and we might lose them. I hope that something is done, an upgraded offer or something to keep them around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Free tickets to Liverpool Exile?

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Frings is the only one on the club that can really speak out to the manager. No one else has played at a level where they can credibly argue with Aron Winter given the level he's played at.
    JDG actually played at the highest level in Spain on a very good team and was the MVP of that team. Of course, we now have a shadow of that player, but the pedigree is there. He's nowhere near the level of Frings or Winter, but he's still been there. It's actually sort of sad how far he's fallen.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd keep most of the players... As Jason Devos as said, the talent is good enough. The eternal goal for TFC (with MoJo, with Preki, with Winter) has been getting 'better players'. But a good number of those players have gone from TFC to be decent MLSers elsewhere (yeah, a percentage have also flamed out, but every MLS team has 5-6 guys at the backend of the roster who suck and will be gone before the next Superdraft).

Could we use a few better players? Of course. Every MLS team is always looking to get better. But no way is this group of players an 0-8 group. For example, Plata is actually a much more skilled version of that typical Nyassi/Richards speedy winger that every MLS team tries to have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Free tickets to Liverpool Exile?
    That woiuld just piss me off, I already paid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Even bringing LFC is such a snake move. They new that so many in Toronto support LFC, that despite their discontent with TFC, people would by tickets. ( which I do not blame LFC supporters for doing-it is just that it is too bad the MLSE profits from it]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    ^ Even bringing LFC is such a snake move. They new that so many in Toronto support LFC, that despite their discontent with TFC, people would by tickets. ( which I do not blame LFC supporters for doing-it is just that it is too bad the MLSE profits from it]
    Cmon Trane, yes it was obviously a good move to bring Liverpool here, but MLSE just took opportunity of becoming part of their planned tour anyway. They're on a tour and this is probably Toronto's only opportunity to arrange a friendly with this team in many seasons. They dont just think... hmmmm.... whos it going to be ...i know...Liverpool is well supporterd round here.

They think... Liverpool is touring north america? theyre going to Baltimore? Lets get them in!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I know. But still I wish it was not this year. They will end up making money on the back of a great club, despite how shit they are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep
    Henry
    Morgan
    Avila
    Silva
    Johnson
    Frings
    Eckersley
    Kocic
    Frei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This isn't so much a "keep" as a "get back." Is there any way we can get Tony Tchani back to replace JDG in the midfield? I'd kill for a big, quick, physical guy like Tchani who has some skills to play the base of the midfield three. JDG gets pushed around way too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This isn't so much a "keep" as a "get back." Is there any way we can get Tony Tchani back to replace JDG in the midfield? I'd kill for a big, quick, physical guy like Tchani who has some skills to play the base of the midfield three. JDG gets pushed around way too much.
    That guy couldnt make a 2ft pass if his life depended on it. Anyways the question should be who on the list would start regularly for a better than average team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    That guy couldnt make a 2ft pass if his life depended on it. Anyways the question should be who on the list would start regularly for a better than average team.
    I rather like Tchani. Too bad injury has limited his development, and he's right now a bigger, more physical version of Dunfield but 23, so he's got time to grow into a decent MLS midfielder
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano