• No

51 67.11%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Should MLS step in and buy TFC?

Should MLS buy TFC and operate it until they find a suitable owner? It will be similar to New Orleans Hornets situation in NBA where the league owns the team and then sells it later on.

It's obvious MLSE aren't capable of running a soccer team especially MLSE are too busy focusing their other sports teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting suggestion, but I don't think it's feasible with the sale of MLSE about to transpire.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assume we're ignoring the likelihood of this actually happening and voting on our peference? Would you be confident in what the league would do for the team in decades to come? It would take that long to find an new owner. MLS does not want to own any more teams. It's a step backward for them.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depending on what happens with the sale, this is a protest movement I could potentially seriously get behind. Revoke the franchise, and put it back on the market. No idea what the legalities are.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I assume we're ignoring the likelihood of this actually happening and voting on our peference? Would you be confident in what the league would do for the team in decades to come? It would take that long to find an new owner. MLS does not want to own any more teams. It's a step backward for them.
    It can happen. North American leagues in past have own teams and then sold them later on. I don't think it will be hard to find an owner for a Toronto soccer team. Toronto market is one of bigger soccer markets in the league and putting a winning Toronto soccer team will bank in a lot of money for league (MLS is revenue sharing league).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Depending on what happens with the sale, this is a protest movement I could potentially seriously get behind. Revoke the franchise, and put it back on the market. No idea what the legalities are.
    If it works, let's get the NHL to take over the Leafs, it seems to working with Phoenix.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS would rather not own a team in the league unless it has to because of financial difficulties. I take it that the money from such change in ownership would come from the other MLS teams which would make the league financially weaker. If the economics in the USA were better or steady, if MLS were to takeover the TFC Franchise, they would have no quelms over moving the team to Miami or somewhere economically feaseable, they would say that even though the team has a fan base in Toronto, the overall goal of the league is to build the sport in America. At the moment though I think MLS is happy to be gauging the Canadian public regardless of whether the team is American.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    MLS would rather not own a team in the league unless it has to because of financial difficulties. I take it that the money from such change in ownership would come from the other MLS teams which would make the league financially weaker. If the economics in the USA were better or steady, if MLS were to takeover the TFC Franchise, they would have no quelms over moving the team to Miami or somewhere economically feaseable, they would say that even though the team has a fan base in Toronto, the overall goal of the league is to build the sport in America. At the moment though I think MLS is happy to be gauging the Canadian public regardless of whether the team is American.
    Precisely. The club is making money for the rest of the league. Why buy it and move it when it could pay for an expansion or another teams move to a possibly more succesful market?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can get behind the concept as well, but I want to give Bell/Rogers a kick at the can first. I believe the new ownership group will have a vested interest in putting a winning product on the pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    If it works, let's get the NHL to take over the Leafs, it seems to working with Phoenix.
    True enough.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    It can happen. North American leagues in past have own teams and then sold them later on. I don't think it will be hard to find an owner for a Toronto soccer team. Toronto market is one of bigger soccer markets in the league and putting a winning Toronto soccer team will bank in a lot of money for league (MLS is revenue sharing league).
    Who? What possible owner(s) do you speak of? We are currently witnessing more mergers to further stabilize ownership.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who? What possible owner(s) do you speak of? We are currently witnessing more mergers to further stabilize ownership.
    I don't have names, but put up "sale" sign on TFC then we will see who interested to buy TFC. I think there are investors out there are willing to invest in MLS where they see a huge upside of making money if soccer keeps on growing in Canada/USA.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They never have before, and they won't now. This is a non-starter of an issue.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have names, but put up "sale" sign on TFC then we will see who interested to buy TFC. I think there are investors out there are willing to invest in MLS where they see a huge upside of making money if soccer keeps on growing in Canada/USA.
    That is far more likely to see the team moving to Florida as said above than seeing some as yet to be discovered owner that looks more attractive than Bell and Rogers to the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so much bitterness with so little direction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is far more likely to see the team moving to Florida as said above than seeing some as yet to be discovered owner that looks more attractive than Bell and Rogers to the league.
    I know Eugene Melnyk at one point was interested of bringing a MLS team in Ottawa. Maybe if TFC was for sale, he might be interested of owning TFC. lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed completely. This would be something I would get behind absolutely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well according to this list:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_by_net_worth

There are 19 straight up billionaires living in this city and 28 in total in the province. Couldn't one of them spare us from our anguish?

I wish I had a billion dollars.

Something I posted in the Friday news section... dreamers unite!

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does Toronto FC still make money? Because that's all the league cares about.

If anyone doesn't believe that or think there's more to it than simple ecomonics, I do have a brand new bridge in New York you might be interested in purchasing...
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is just never going to happen. The only reason the NBA or NHL took over a team was because those teams were on the verge of financial collapse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need a competent president of the club that knows the American system (so preferably American). The owners are incompetent but you can't deny they spend the money. Really hope Rogers/Bell do the same.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While we're discussing this topic, why don't we start taking bets where the team would end up if MLS was to own the team b/c there's no question that a futile team is always at risk of being relocated especially one that is owned by the league. I know our current management group is incompetent but being owned by the league, even on an interim basis is a terrible idea.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They won't relocate Toronto FC.
    You relocate if the market can't sustain the team, not if the ownership cannot.

Maybe David Beckham can purchase Toronto FC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wren View Post
    This is just never going to happen. The only reason the NBA or NHL took over a team was because those teams were on the verge of financial collapse.
    I agree. But it's genius as a protest movement against Anselmi et al, if that group aren't immediately replaced by the new owners.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post

I know they wouldn't contemplate a move in the immediate future but long-term, you never know, especially if TFC was to continue on this path and attendance figures were to drop significantly. Then they may consider.

All I'm saying is that we need to get this mess sorted out without the help of the league. As it's been pointed out before, Toronto FC is like a step child to the MLSE enterprise. Until that changes, we'll never taste success.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Answer this:

MLS owned TFC, TFC would have _ DPs?
    MLS owned TFC, TFC would have __ million invested in its academy and training centre?

it would be interesting to know what we are sharing with the league...what % of the different avenues of income
    Last edited by prizby; 05-06-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post

They won't relocate or let anything happen to the team because Belgers needs content for all their media outlets. That's the only reason why they bought ML$E. As an investment the $'s are pretty tapped out profit wise. They make a lot period but there's not much "up" from where they are. No other investor would buy ML$E in hopes to improve significantly the profits. It's all about buying something, anything profitable that also fills up all their media channels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure MLS couldn't buy TFC even if they wanted to. It's not just the team, they'd have to buy the assets as well such as the academy and it's 17 million facility

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I understand it, the league owns all the teams, MLSE simply operates the team? No?

"MLS operates under a single-entity structure, where each team is owned by the league and operated by its investors"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I could suffer a couple years under MLS ownership until they found ownership who wasn't a pile of corporate shit.

It'll get us on track better than hoping MLSE is going to sort themselves out.