View Poll Results: How do you feel Winter has performed as a coach in April?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 star

6 5.77%
  • 4 star

2 1.92%
  • 3 star

12 11.54%
  • 2 star

31 29.81%
  • 1 star

53 50.96%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rate Winter: April 2012

PLEASE READ BEFORE RATING!
    (it'll make everything a hell of a lot easier)

This is gonna be fun! Please note that I expect civility here, debate someones point of view, argue their logic, but never (under any circumstances) attack them personally. The teams doing poorly enough without us going at each others throats on top of it. Each category gets a specific rating, from 5 (being the highest) to 1 (being the lowest). To calculate the average rating, just add your total up and divide by 5, if it's got a decimal point at the end of it, you can round either up or down based on the simple question "did Winter perform up to your expectations for the month". Afterward, you post your total rating on the poll, from 5 - 1. As a nifty little added feature, i've attached links to the matches. simply click on the match to head over the post game analysis, crourtesy of the MLS. it'll make it easier to back up your points with information.

here's the criteria:

TACTICS
    how did you feel about the tactical choices made?
    what about his starters? subs? formation?

RESULTS

at the end of the day, how did we do in terms of results? did we tie games we should've lost? lost games we should've won? etc.

EFFICIENCY

how effective was the coach in utilizing the players he has?
    did he play some players out of position? did he have a reason to?

COMMUNICATION
    how effective was the coach in explaining his outlook and choices in the paper / on torontofc.ca / on TFCtv / in post match interviews?

TRADES & MISC
    were the trades made productive or counter-productive?
    did he fly off the handle at get a 4 game ban?
    was he making eyes at your wife/girlfriend/same-sex partner?

A general guideline: Its how you feel at the moment, not a final assessment. Like a marathon, this is just a snapshot of our support for the month. A low approval rating does not rate him as an overall failure, just like a high approval rating does not mean he's Sir Alex Ferguson. For the sake of context, this is how he / TFC have preformed in APRIL:

LEAGUE PLAY
    0 points out of a possible 12
    10TH in the East -
    19TH out of 19 overall -
    GD: -10 ↓5

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE PLAY
    Lost Sanos Laguna on aggregate 7-3

*red denotes CCL game

Santos Laguna v Toronto FC
    APR 4th : LOSS 6-2

Montreal Impact v Toronto FC
    APR 7th : Loss 2-1

Toronto FC v Chivas USA
    APR 14th : LOSS 0-1

Toronto FC v Chicago Fire
    APR 21st: LOSS 2 - 3

Real Salt Lake vs Toronto FC
    APR 28th : LOSS 3-2

OLD THREADS:
    *2.97 / Rating: D+ MARCH THREAD
    *3.95 / Rating: B+ OCTOBER THREAD

*3.76 / Rating: B SEPTEMBER THREAD
    *3.21 / Rating: C AUGUST THREAD
    83.44%
    JULY THREAD
    63.55%
    JUNE THREAD
    46.60%
    MAY THREAD
    77.61%
    APRIL THREAD

NOTE: if you'd like to see an update to the criteria you think i may have overlooked, PM me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TACTICS: 3
    frei is out, soolsma is out, our options are limited, but i still don't see the sense in playing 4-3-3 with wingers who can't find a target in front of the net. i've noticed for the most part that we've been getting better at set pieces, now if only our defense would follow at defending them. speaking of our defense, until we get better CB's, we can expect to keep leaking goals under the current formation.

RESULTS
    : 1
    we gave RSL a good run, but there's simply nothing, and i mean NOTHING to give anything more than a 1 to in terms of points. have i enjoyed the way we looked in losing games? yes, technically we've not looked better, but we identified problems with our defense LAST YEAR and still havent fixed them. those "lucky breaks" the other team are getting come far too often.

EFFICIENCY: 3

i miss nick soolsma, we're getting a lot outt've silva/avila, but i'd like to see more of them to understand where the teams going. our current string of CBs are consistently pointed to as the reason why or games fall apart and i can't disagree with it.

COMMUNICATION: 1
    "luck", "played doing their jobs", "pity", "we're making the playoffs" etc.
    he gets a point for declaring that we're making the playoffs knowing that he's just bet his job on it. aside from that, his players (ecks/johnson/frings) have said more than he has.

TRADES & MISC: 1
    something tells me that the next time the window opens we're going to be losing a team staple for a CB we should've had months ago. as for the misc, what can i say? wins would sure tie over some've the fans we're losing.

OVERALL: 2.0 (rounded up from a 1.6)
    i don't know if i'm seeing this team getting better, or if i want to see this team get better, but i'll give him the benefit of the doubt (yet again). i hope my faith is repaid in the upcoming months, many of us can't take much more of this.. that's pretty evident in the fact that he just received his worst rating yet last month and that's with the champions league.
    Last edited by __wowza; 04-30-2012 at 12:12 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TACTICS (3/5)
    Ithink that formationally, we are playing the right foemation. Due to individual mistakes, we have lost games not for tactical reasons. Sure or CBs are shit but that has nothing to do with tactics.

RESULTS (0/5)
    Winless. Need I say more

EFFICIENCY (3/5)

Considering injuries, alittle hard on the lineup. Picked the best he has available. Even benched De Guzman. Should light a fire under De Guzman's ass

COMMUNICATION (1/5)
    Still not what I would like (would like more info on injuries, training, etc.) but that is the reporter's fault. If a reporter reads this, start asking the tough questions. Force the point.

TRADES & MISC (0/5)
    Off-season signings have been really unimpressive to date. No trades but lets see what happens.

OVERALL: (1.4/5)

We really need to pick it up. I still believe the playoffs are attainable but we can't have another winless month

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only two positives I see from this month are 1. The players actually care, and 2. Every league game was lost was by a single goal, there were no blowout losses like last season. So far.

1.6 -> 2.0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tactics 1/5 playing 3-4-3 in MLS is staggeringly arrogant. Ill be honest, I thought we should do this in year one, but that was because I thought the league was worse than it was.

results 0/5 - you cant rate a guy on results, the results do it for themselves and they are what they are.

communication 0/5 - 'of course a win would be very early and very good at this moment.' - he cannot say what he means.

trades 0/5 - Aceval and Silva were the best we could do this offseason? Why cant we off Dunfield and Harden?

overall 0.25/5 - You have to admire this guys tenacity, he's collecting his cheques for as long as possible this one.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TACTICS (0/5)
    In order to be considered successful, tactics need to lead to winning results. They have not, and therefore aren't.

RESULTS (0/5)

We have won no games out of 7.

EFFICIENCY (2/5)
    This team can be a real shit sandwich for a coach/manager, and he has seen his fair share, so tried to make the best of it. All things considered, he hasn't been a complete and utter failure in managing to assemble 11 guys who can complete a pass from time to time.

COMMUNICATION (1/5)
    Gotta give him a point for sticking to his key messages. "My players are shit," "we were unlucky," etc

TRADES & MISC (0/5)
    No trades made this year.

OVERALL (0.6/5)
    Are you not entertained?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    OVERALL: 2.0 (rounded up from a 1.6)
    Isn't that a 1.8 instead of a 1.6? Or do you have them weighted differently?

Anyways, my ratings are:

TACTICS: 2 - He rarely makes a good move, but when he does it is often too late and usually after a harsh lesson (ie. Avila)
    RESULTS: 0- 0-7, worst possible start, he has fully earned this zero
    EFFICIENCY: 1 - Every squad needs to make do with injured players, absent for national duty or streaky players, he can't make do with a roster that is as almost completely there despite a couple of injuries
    COMMUNICATION: 1 -If I hear "luck" one more time...
    TRADES & MISC: 0
    -There are no "intangibles" about this team that make me feel positive, all I see are frustrated players

Final score = 0.80 rounded up to 1.00

He didn't even get a full 1 star from me. After I gave him the benefit of the doubt in March and gave him 3. I won't make that mistake again, he is going to have to earn every star from me going forward.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 04-30-2012 at 02:59 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    TACTICS (0/5)
    In order to be considered successful, tactics need to lead to winning results. They have not, and therefore aren't.

RESULTS (0/5)

We have won no games out of 7.

EFFICIENCY (2/5)
    This team can be a real shit sandwich for a coach/manager, and he has seen his fair share, so tried to make the best of it. All things considered, he hasn't been a complete and utter failure in managing to assemble 11 guys who can complete a pass from time to time.

COMMUNICATION (1/5)
    Gotta give him a point for sticking to his key messages. "My players are shit," "we were unlucky," etc

TRADES & MISC (0/5)
    No trades made this year.

OVERALL (0.6/5)
    Are you not entertained?
    My grade is close to this as well.

Tactics - 1/5
    Inflexible and unbending in his ability to get the most of the squad that he has as well as making the necessary in-game adjustments.

Results - 0/5
    0-7. That says it all.

Efficiency - 1/5
    See tactics

Communication - 1/5
    Doesn't instill any confidence.

Trades & misc - 0/5
    None of the off season moves have made any discernible difference whatsoever.

Overall: 0.6/5 bumped up to 1 since there is no 0.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Isn't that a 1.8 instead of a 1.6? Or do you have them weighted differently
    DAMMIT ROOGSY... I'M A TFC SUPPORTER, NOT A MATHEMATICIAN!!

He didn't even get a full 1 star from me. After I gave him the benefit of the doubt in March and gave him 3. I won't make that mistake again, he is going to have to earn every star from me going forward.
    i was originally hesitant to post 0 as a rating. i considered 5:A 4:B 3:C 2 1:F, from the way things are shaping up, if he's around next month i might have to just add that new category. surprising that we've seen a lack of random *5 votes this time around, seems that people are having a hard time justifying it whether they're trolling or not.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TACTICS - 3
    Tactics are fine IMO. We are not loosing games based on tactics. We are loosing based on player errors

RESULTS - 0

0-7 is not good

EFFICIENCY - 3

I think he is doing well with his player selection and subs. Last night was a good example of it working in his favour. Subs have been making an impact

COMMUNICATION - 1
    Indifferent to this, but he could get more detailed and stop being so vague in his answers. If someone played like shit, tell us who played like shit and why you think he played like shit.

TRADES & MISC - 2
    Benching Harden and minimal time for Aceval were god moves.

2.0 (rounded up from 1.8). One star down from last month
    Results killed it for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tactics (1/5)

results (0/5)

efficiency (1/5)

communication (2/5)

trades & misc (1/5)

overall (1/5)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be interested in reading the explanations for the 3s that have recently voted.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be interested in reading the explanations for the 3s that have recently voted.
    I am sure there won't be many more......lol
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TACTICS: 1.5
    He has been outmaneuvered by opponents in a few games, with them keying on our weaknesses and him not making adjustments. Having been bitten by the injury bug, I can't fault him on a lot of the lineup choices, but the inability to recognize and use Avila until recently push his score down even further here. It seems like he doesn't scout his opponents or something.

RESULTS
    : 0
    We haven't won a single game. Our guys are putting in some decent performances in spurts, but he can't get them to put together a consistent 90 minutes and our results reflect that.

EFFICIENCY: 2.5

I suppose he's using the players to the best he can, but the fact that Avila wasn't even in the starting lineup for so long, only to show us in the space of a couple of games that he can be a difference-maker for us leads me to believe he's not too in touch with the guys. Credit goes to him for sticking with Lambe, who has shown some interesting flashes of late. I'd still like to see more of Frings and De Guzman with Silva in front of them, as well as a game with Aceval at LB (though Morgan does seem to be getting a touch better with his passing - still not enough).

COMMUNICATION: 1
    His communication is bad, and while I can forgive his English being a bit weak, man, does he ever not inspire confidence with his deadpan, half-stoned sounding press conferences. I hope someone else gives the team talks! Promising playoffs? Wow...I'll eat these words gladly if he somehow makes it happen, but wow...

TRADES & MISC: 1
    He's not brought in the player to address our most glaring need. Caicedo bombed, Emory is a sub, Cann is not back. Koevs is still out of shape (get a friggin personal trainer on his ass!). Players are under enormous pressure now and it looks like a lot of them may have just reached the end of their rope on Saturday night (we'll see how they react on Wednesday).

OVERALL: 1 (rounded down from a 1.2)
    There are no signs that things will change. We keep getting gutted by fumbles and mistakes. Can he get these guys focused and playing his system well enough to win? I hope so. I hope things turn around and we go 7-0 in our next 7. Hope. My realistic side tells me something else.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ What is frustrating about Winter, is that I think that he is not clueless, he seems to be a good football mind, it is just that somehow it does not come all together to make him a good manager. I see his pedigree as a player and as a coach, I here him talk about what he wants to achieve and I think this dude has what it takes to be a good manager one day, it just that it is not happening that is the bottom line.
    Last edited by trane; 04-30-2012 at 04:30 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Then maybe he should go back down a level to get more experience.

I don't want TFC to be a training ground for inexperienced coaches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    Then maybe he should go back down a level to get more experience.

I don't want TFC to be a training ground for inexperienced coaches.
    Which is all it has ever been. Even Preki's experience was slight.

Its all very well bemoaning the revolving door, but its not as if were chopping proven coaches every year now is it?

One experienced coach with a proven track record, should be enough to stop the door from spinning.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    Which is all it has ever been. Even Preki's experience was slight.

Its all very well bemoaning the revolving door, but its not as if were chopping proven coaches every year now is it?

One experienced coach with a proven track record, should be enough to stop the door from spinning

Agree,but until we find one experienced coach with a proven track record who wants to come here,

I suggest we keep Winter.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Agree,but until we find one experienced coach with a proven track record who wants to come here,
    I suggest we keep Winter.
    I thought you'd prefer Rongen in his place? I certainly wouldnt object to Rongen stepping in now and trying to salvage the season while a replacement is sought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought you'd prefer Rongen in his place? I certainly wouldnt object to Rongen stepping in now and trying to salvage the season while a replacement is sought.
    I was all for Rongen until I heard his colour commentary on Saturday night

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we can't get any other one to come here,than yeah Rongen or at least while a long term replacement is found.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rene Kingsriver View Post
    I was all for Rongen until I heard his colour commentary on Saturday night
    So you are rating a coach based on his commentary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you are rating a coach based on his commentary.
    I wasn't being serious, anyone who can coach American Samoa to a win has the perfect experience for our current situation (just joking)

He was really bad though verbal diarrhea of the worst kind

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wasn't being serious, anyone who can coach American Samoa to a win has the perfect experience for our current situation (just joking)

He was really bad though verbal diarrhea of the worst kind
    Than your must be followed by .

I met him several times at TFCA and he is very passionate when it comes to soccer and TFC academy in particular seems to be his baby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Than your must be followed by .

I met him several times at TFCA and he is very passionate when it comes to soccer and TFC academy in particular seems to be his baby.
    I'll put his talking down to enthusiasm then. Do you think he's want the head coach position then even on just an interim basis?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this the twilight zone?

Who on earth voted four stars?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll put his talking down to enthusiasm then. Do you think he's want the head coach position then even on just an interim basis?
    I was told while the team was in Florida that he wants it and that was in February.I did not believe it,because there was nothing to indicate he came to TFC to take HC position but there was no indications that this team will be 0-7,and few months later here we are 0-7.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you think 1 4 star rating is bad you should go over to U-Sector and take a look

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was told while the team was in Florida that he wants it and that was in February.I did not believe it,because there was nothing to indicate he came to TFC to take HC position but there was no indications that this team will be 0-7,and few months later here we are 0-7.
    I made fun of it but his enthusiasm would be a welcome change from Winter that's for sure and he has an MLS Cup albeit a while ago now

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It wasn't me,I swear.

Mister 4 stars,I want one of those for Wednesday night VC game.