Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    and Schmid had a FO willing to be patient with him. Just like DC FO is with Olsen, SJ FO with Yallop.

there has to be a point where the FO decides whether the manager won't cut it, but people who says MLS has an 'instant fix' often overlook teams that choose to be patient with their managers for success.

not saying TFC should give Winter 3 years, but I think there are other facts that needs examining before deciding whether Winter should get the boot or not
    Yallop won 2 MLS Cups in his first go around with San Jose.

Ben Olsen played over 10 seasons with DC United, the club he's coaching.

They've earned the right to get "more time".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Bones, it's the opposite. when you play bunker ball, your movement is LESS flexible, not more. So we should have had very static positions, much like Montreal's.
    Dutch style bunkering is not so though. They do rotate, they use more position based to stay behind the ball but rotate with player movement. It's like a bastardized man to man zone...I know I know they're opposites, I just don't know how else to describe it.

In either case, Winter played for the nil nil draw and he got it. Glass 1/10th full ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

again I'll repeat my argument. there is no such thing as a sure thing manager in MLS
    But its becoming quite apparent that there is such thing as a 'sure loss manager' - and you cant argue keeping him on this silly premise.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    Yallop won 2 MLS Cups in his first go around with San Jose.

Ben Olsen played over 10 seasons with DC United, the club he's coaching.

They've earned the right to get "more time".
    Yallop coached the now Houston Dynamo who used to be San Jose. a bit different.

So if Dichio became TFC manager and he shit the bed, he should get more time than Winter just because he's a bit of cult hero here?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    Dutch style bunkering is not so though. They do rotate, they use more position based to stay behind the ball but rotate with player movement. It's like a bastardized man to man zone...I know I know they're opposites, I just don't know how else to describe it.

In either case, Winter played for the nil nil draw and he got it. Glass 1/10th full ?
    Again, not going for the away goal is inexcusable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if Dichio became TFC manager and he shit the bed, he should get more time than Winter just because he's a bit of cult hero here?
    Who said this?

edit - i see how your point somewhat relates to the previous post.

If this was Dichios second season as coach, he would have resigned by now, because he is not spineless and he cares about the fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get that, I'm just sayign their hot spots arenj't even near their actual positions. And their 67% pass completion on just 291 passes suggests that if they were rotating, they weren't doing it fast enough.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

the lads played like they were still getting over the lose in RSL. travel fatigue doesn't help either
    That's a poor excuse.

I'd rather hear someone tell me they were shit than use excuses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depressing as this is it's true in MLS. Arena crapped out in New York, Yallop's first four years back in San Jose were dreadful after winning their twice before and twice in Houston, Rongen won one title and made the playoffs three times but has since been fired twice, the last time after nine games.
    I don't disagree with your general premise but Yallop made the playoffs (with a week to spare) and eventually the Eastern Conference Final in '09 and Arena was 6th overall at NY in '07. We'd kill for those results right now. Only Rongen truely has the record from a different era of MLS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get that, I'm just sayign their hot spots arenj't even near their actual positions. And their 67% pass completion on just 291 passes suggests that if they were rotating, they weren't doing it fast enough.

not fast enough.... ON THE NOSE THERE! Yeah, only 291 passes is due to the fact that we didn't have the ball long enough to even try more and we didn't put pressure on the ball to get it back because our guys were gassed after RSL game still.

Stats tell the story but always need interpretation.

*** before someone flips at me, I'm not saying we were better than our stats!
    Last edited by bones; 05-02-2012 at 11:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You've made a really good assessment.

You can see he's lost the plot, and the players never knew what the plot was.

I will point out that the stats and diagrams dont show how heartless the display was. nor how fed up the players looked.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah but Yallop has had success in the league in the past.

It doesn't have to be success in MLS, it can be any league.

Previous success gives you more rope, more cache.

And as for the Dichio example, I wouldn't hire him as a coach for a first team. MAYBE if he had been immersed in the league for 10-15 years then maybe. Would also depend on the support staff that he had.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    You've made a really good assessment.

You can see he's lost the plot, and the players never knew what the plot was.

I will point out that the stats and diagrams dont show how heartless the display was. nor how fed up the players looked.
    I think if I go back and check past league games, we'll find their movement and pass completion have both become more erratic the more games they play. The system may require too much movement for guys traveling as far as teams do in MLS, with many fewer days of game prep between; it also explains why they give up so many late goals -- our players are covering twice as much real estate with half as much ball.

Eek.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can appreciate the need for a defensive minded approach on the road, but TFC couldn't even generate a single legitimate scoring opportunity.

If the current circumstances surrounding the club were different, I suppose we all could be somewhat content with a draw in the opening away leg of the CC, but frankly, it's embarassing to watch your hometown club play scared to lose against an opponent that Winter boldly declared to be inferior.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think if I go back and check past league games, we'll find their movement and pass completion have both become more erratic the more games they play. The system may require too much movement for guys traveling as far as teams do in MLS, with many fewer days of game prep between; it also explains why they give up so many late goals -- our players are covering twice as much real estate with half as much ball.

Eek.
    Now that is interesting! Perhaps this is a "can't be done in MLS" thing. No one else is trying this style in MLS are they?

As for the "wouldn't hire Dichio" comment from Whoop, how about Interim with a 4-4-2 since we have very good players?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that is interesting! Perhaps this is a "can't be done in MLS" thing. No one else is trying this style in MLS are they?
    Yes, but they are doing it properly.

The headless chicken 4-3-3 doesnt cut it in North America.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

again I'll repeat my argument. there is no such thing as a sure thing manager in MLS

TFC is not going to tear away Arena, Schmid or Kinnear away from their current teams, unless TFC is going to pay them something like SAF or Mourinho salary.
    There are few sure things in life in general bro (except Janine Palumbo...she was like the neighborhood bicycle).

It doesn't make for a good argument just because there aren't sure things. It doesn't mean you go to the other extreme and take a flyer on an unproven sheister selling you a bill of goods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, but they are doing it properly.

The headless chicken 4-3-3 doesnt cut it in North America.
    I wouldn't say there are any other teams playing a strict Dutch 4-3-3. There are a few playing 4-3-3, but it's mostly modified, like Kansas city playing a direct style but with a different positional balance of responsiblities. I know Klinsmann has tried to put it in with the U.S Men's team with limited success, and Porter failed with it at the U23 level with the U.S. men's team as well.

So... maybe it's just not a system that fits players from here that well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    It doesn't mean you go to the other extreme and take a flyer on an unproven sheister selling you a bill of goods.
    Sheister implies deliberate deception or fraud, which isn't fair. He hasn't done anything but do a bad job. Ineptitude is still better than dishonesty. With Mo we had both, although neither helps us win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't say there are any other teams playing a strict Dutch 4-3-3. There are a few playing 4-3-3, but it's mostly modified, like Kansas city playing a direct style but with a different positional balance of responsiblities. I know Klinsmann has tried to put it in with the U.S Men's team with limited success, and Porter failed with it at the U23 level with the U.S. men's team as well.

So... maybe it's just not a system that fits players from here that well.
    My apologies, I dont watch the other MLS teams too often. I was told by numerous people on the board that those teams were following the same 'system' and therefore the system cant be the problem.

Looks like thats not the case then.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sheister implies deliberate deception or fraud, which isn't fair. He hasn't done anything but do a bad job. Ineptitude is still better than dishonesty. With Mo we had both, although neither helps us win.
    It was an unfair swipe. I don't believe Winter is dishonest. Just inept.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My apologies, I dont watch the other MLS teams too often. I was told by numerous people on the board that those teams were following the same 'system' and therefore the system cant be the problem.

Looks like thats not the case then.
    Doesn't change his need to adapt tactically. This is a league where teams tend to change up their look every week in terms of roles and responsibilities while keeping the same general shape. Coaches here, to me, favor matchup-based tactics where they start with the breakdown of strengths and weaknesses and build from there.

Conversely, total football is supposed to be a catch-all system where the shape changes dramatically based on having guys naturally cheat more to the offense or defense and rotate to cover when someone moves into space. This throws guys all over the place which, if the guys are great readers of the game, can be very confusing to the other team and open up all kinds of space.

But it takes a read of the field and short technical game -- with lots of short sprinting and guys who have a well-rounded package of offensive and defensive skills -- that the more I look at the numbers really doesn't suit this league. Not yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    It was an unfair swipe. I don't believe Winter is dishonest. Just inept.
    He's a fraud. He's swindling us out of our season and laughing all the way to the bank.

He knows he's not capable of achieving what is required of him and REFUSES to resign.

fuck him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter needs to be fired so that the next management team can start getting to work on fixing this team. Lets not wait until January again.

Winter is on borrowed time, despite whatever the last few defenders are saying. After every result there are fewer and fewer willing to go to bat for him.

Its not working, giving Winter more time won't change that.

TFC is worse than an expansion team.

By the way, anyone else feel that Frings looked old and tired last night? I wonder if he's tired of this shit and if he'll just retire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol dunfield

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ LOL. At least he's f**king marking someone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just watching Newcastle beat Chelsea yesterday, and how happy Carver looked on the sidelines made me think what if...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Koev injured? Wondering why he hasn't featured in a few games......at least off the bench....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jloome: thanks for the great posts. Some good analysis there. The heat maps are ridiculous.