Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The City of Toronto

Otherwise, I think MLSE would have turned the plastic to grass the moment this became an issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kdzb View Post
    I hope you are kidding SLBuu...He is not at his peak?
    I will take him any time over the strikers we have at the moment.
    I think if a player gets a call from Big Phil to play for The National Team and wear the Captain armband should be at least at his peak.
    Are you serious???

Scolari was heavily criticized for his weird decisions, so should we praise this man just because he was a captain for Portugal? Fuck this guy doesn't even talk to the refs, when he does its to ask if his fucking hair looks good.

He's the captain for Benfica to, never seen him talk to any players.

Its become so bad, Benfica fans "the ones that arent living back in 2000 and still have some sort of man crush on him" want this "legend" to get the fuck out!!

Everytime he plays he is non existent, Benfica might aswell start with 10 men. And this is the honest truth, I have never, ever ever ever seen a striker literally back out of a header other than Gomes. Yes thats right, I have actually seen this loser purposely gets out of the way of headers, and this is a striker??

Its so bad they have a comp of his misses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTs-1E-A1jw&NR=1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWsD5...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvKi_...eature=related

Trust me, from someone who sees every Benfica game for years now, not one or 2 games a season 4 years ago like some people, him rejecting us is a BLESSING.

Someone asked who do you prefer cunny or Gomes. I would seriously pick cunny, cause one: they play the same, and 2 only difference is that Cunny is way faster. Cunny wins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kdzb View Post
    Only one question is bothering me a bit:
    Is the weather any different between Montreal and Toronto during the winter?
    Why Stade Saputo is Grass and our BMO is turf?
    BMO is used in the winter. They put a dome over the playing surface to allow it to be rented out for indoor play.

In Montreal they probably plan to leave it unused in the winter and let the grass die and regenerate in the spring naturally.

Under the BMO dome the grass would die and then be ground to dirt in the winter.

Real grass means no winter use, which mean less rental revenue, which means less money for the city. The city only agreed to build the stadium if they could use it in the winter. So if MLSE wants to put grass in they would have to buy the stadium from the city (they currently only manage it). Now seeing the support that we have given to TFC it might be wise to buy the stadium and put in real grass ... but then I am a supporter ... and spend my money on my team.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS has to take a decision here and rule that all playing surfaces should be grass. Only when they take this seriously will they truly be able to attract the right calibre of players, and be taken seriously as a league around the world. Unfortunately, that is still not the case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys there's options to put grass OVER the turf and take it off in the winter, thus still allowing the winter use. Lets STOP getting our nickers in a knot about this turf...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sweetlemon69 View Post
    Guys there's options to put grass OVER the turf and take it off in the winter, thus still allowing the winter use. Lets STOP getting our nickers in a knot about this turf...
    This is true.

I was told this a few weeks back by one of the execs.

BMO, TFC and MLSE are examining this option. I would not be the least bit surprised that this will be announced shortly.

We would open the season on field turf but real grass would be put down after the first few weeks when the growing season starts.

So overall folks, let's hold off on getting bent out of shape on this.
    MLSE, TFC and BMO are aware of the problem. They'll work it out. They know they have to in order to attract the talent they want, so they can be the club they aspire to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sweetlemon69 View Post
    If they can put (temporary) grass in the Rogers Center, they can certainly can do it at BMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Temporary grass costs a fortune. Like, millions. In fact, unless they use that turf-blend product (can't remember the name) where turf adheres to the grass, they'll also have to put in a watering system and, in all likelihood due to the colder end of the season, hot water pipes.

It's not cheap, but it'll happen eventually if it's hurting the team. Again, I have to state that it's a shame perception of injuries is winning out of the reality that there is nothing to support this "fear" from players; given that MLSE insures all of the players against injury and has to pay their medical bills, it's retarded to assume it wouldn't be as big an issue for them if it were really the case.

Having said that, perception is perception. I think this has more to do with players thinking it's Mickey Mouse than really knowing anything about being injured on it; many Euro teams practise all week long on field turf without it causing injury problems, they just don't want to play on it because it doesn 't feel the same as turf.

Does that mean it's the sole reason we're not signing these guys? Seems very unlikey to me. In every case, they've had other issues -- Huckerby said he wanted the California lifestyle, Musampa was offered DP'ish money to go to Korea, Dickov has been offered a coaching role and (in the case of Leicester) more money as well.

We have to face reality: MLS is still a second-tier league, with second-tier problems. Money is a very big one -- the pay rates here just don't do much for English players, and neither Mo nor Carver seems to have any contacts scouting outside of Europe.

I'd be quite happy if our DP was relatively unknown but a prolific scorer; and I don't think, wiht a few million bucks waived in their face, that's as much a recruitment problem as a scouting issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by invictusTFC View Post
    If they can put (temporary) grass in the Rogers Center, they can certainly can do it at BMO.
    I saw this for the Porto Liverpool game a few years back. I'm not sure it can be don't effectively, the pitch becomes very slick, or from what I could tell they were slidding all over the place.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That pitch also had a shelf life of 72 hours…if memory serves, it was laid on the Thursday Liverpool/Porto Friday…Celtic/Roma Saturday by Sunday it was done.
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I have said in the past several times, would FIFA approve of Field Turf if it is that bad for players.
    Again the turf argument is bullshit.

TO DEVILS

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    As I have said in the past several times, would FIFA approve of Field Turf if it is that bad for players.
    Again the turf argument is bullshit.

Its not about good or bad...its about personal preference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ true, but that might change over time if players' whining wasn't continually given credence by fans. Look at the Man Utd situation in Moscow: Fergie tells them all to shut the fuck up and the game goes fine.

I'd still prefer grass, it's just a specious, wanker argument to say turf is dangerous, that's all. It's all about impressions, and the players don't want to be Mickey Mouse.

Except Huckerby, of course, which is just plain Goofy. (Note: plenty of options here for signage ideas to greet the bastard-who-let-me-down-heavy).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It doesn't matter whether the injury issue is perception or reality, because the recruiting issue around field turf is reality, and that's what counts.

That's why TFC has to deal with it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    ^^ true, but that might change over time if players' whining wasn't continually given credence by fans. Look at the Man Utd situation in Moscow: Fergie tells them all to shut the fuck up and the game goes fine.

I'd still prefer grass, it's just a specious, wanker argument to say turf is dangerous, that's all. It's all about impressions, and the players don't want to be Mickey Mouse.

Except Huckerby, of course, which is just plain Goofy. (Note: plenty of options here for signage ideas to greet the bastard-who-let-me-down-heavy).
    Anybody out there who wants to go on a 25 year mission to fight for "truth in fieldturf discussion", please do it at the expense of someone else, and not my team.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I'd be quite happy if our DP was relatively unknown but a prolific scorer; and I don't think, wiht a few million bucks waived in their face, that's as much a recruitment problem as a scouting issue.
    I agree. Trying to pillage talent from the more notable leagues in Europe is not going to cut it. The only players from those leagues that would be willing to come here are players like Hucks and Dickov who piqued years ago. Smaller clubs in Europe have pillaged Brazil for years for decent talent. Eastern Europe is also a gold mine. Give a decent young player over there some good money and they will come regardless of the surface.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by invictusTFC View Post
    Sure but temporary grass placed in Skydome for five days can't be compared to laying down a more permanent season long field.

That said, I agree it can be done and that it will be expensive but worth it in the long run!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto_Bhoy View Post
    That pitch also had a shelf life of 72 hours…if memory serves, it was laid on the Thursday Liverpool/Porto Friday…Celtic/Roma Saturday by Sunday it was done.
    bingo!!!