Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gomes Turns Down TFC

Millson returns... with a doozy! Hopefully McB will be in Chicago by next week also to quel that saga.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080712.wspt-tfc12/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just read that Noochie What a pisser that didn't work out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talk about out of the blue... maybe this new signing will be a lot more high profile then we think :O

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is really sad about this one is that he could have been the guy to provide the spark on the field and also be the real catalyst for bringing up the TV numbers... especially so hot off of Euro 2008.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is not good. I hope Mo wasn't putting all his eggs in one basket. I really hope they have a backup plan.
    No Hucks, No Dickov maybe, now No Gomes.
    I'm glad to hear that the McBride saga will be over soon tho.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, talk about out of left field. That's disappointing but it's good that Mo is thinking big. I'm also looking forward to the end of the McBride affair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that would have been the signing of the season as far as im concerned. Too bad!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder how much dough Mo was throwing around? It must have been substantial to be going after such a big fish.

At least the guy is trying. Keep it up Mo!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wasn't expecting MO to go after these kinds of players, but I like that he's thinking big.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phew, at least he isnt looking in England all the time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corpand View Post
    Phew, at least he isnt looking in England all the time
    Agreed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Agreed.
    And why is that? We need a goal scorer, it doesn't matter where he comes from. Need I remind you that the best goal scoring DP in the league came from "looking in England"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    And why is that? We need a goal scorer, it doesn't matter where he comes from. Need I remind you that the best goal scoring DP in the league came from "looking in England"?
    No one suggested that he isn't looking there or shouldn't be... people are encouraged that he is looking in places other than (and including) England.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Come on, let's not do this again. What he's saying is that it's good that Mo is not limiting his options by keeping to the UK. It has NOTHING to do with the nature/character of the players! God!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

then..... Hucks and Dichov were/are the backup plans while Mojo also has feelers out for the big shot DP types. Not a bad strategy.
    Since we heard nothing of this pursuit of Nuno Gomes I'm not gonna get too worked up about what other options may exist. Clearly there are things going on that we know nothing about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

let the random DP speculation commence!

Craig Bellamy...and go!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No big name will accept to play in toronto on a plastic surface. Mark my words.

It's nice to see that Mo is looking hard at big calibres to improve the team and with us (the best fans in the league) any big player who comes to MLS will love to play in front of that kind of atmosphere.

Once again, the pitch will be the biggest obstacle in all contracts talks. It's not the money, It's not the facility. All these stuff are first class.

It's the fucking pitch that is turning the good players away from TFC. It's sad but those bitches at MLSE and The City of Toronto thinks more about the bubble and renting the facility in the off season than TFC and getting hardwares and stuff.

This is becoming a joke. All the players in TFC that say good stuff about the surface are players that needs a job and they say that just in front of the camera but I bet you that off camera, they pray god every day that they don't get injured or their footballing career is over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that the turf is going to keep us from landing a big name. I get the sense that MLSE / The City are starting to rethink the turf. Lets hope there’s a change in the not too distant future.

I think a DP striker would be great, but I still think we could do a lot of damage with just a quality player or two at the striker position. Look at all the close games we’ve had. It would be nice to have a DP scoring 20 goals a season, but even a lesser talent scoring 8 - 11 goals would do a lot to boost the teams fortunes. Gomes would be awesome, but the likes of Dickov, Darren Byfield, or Wayne Andrews would all make an impact (as would a host on non British players I know).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gomes isn't at his peak anymore obviously, he actually had a tough season last year only scoring 8 times or something like that.

The one thing he does still possess is that killer first touch. He's not afraid to hit the ball first time which is what i think our forwards (actually anyone in the box) needs to do more often. They always seem to want to control the ball first, then strike it, giving up too much time.

anyway, just my thoughts.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is only one question. Who would you rather have up front? Cunny or Gomes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW!!!!!! what a question!!!!!!

LMAO!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope you are kidding SLBuu...He is not at his peak?
    I will take him any time over the strikers we have at the moment.
    I think if a player gets a call from Big Phil to play for The National Team and wear the Captain armband should be at least at his peak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HOLY SNAP!

I like what Mo is trying to do!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kdzb View Post
    I hope you are kidding SLBuu...He is not at his peak?
    I will take him any time over the strikers we have at the moment.
    I think if a player gets a call from Big Phil to play for The National Team and wear the Captain armband should be at least at his peak.
    i understand where ur coming from but he is not at his peak, period. there really is no question.

would he be better than what we have now? Absolutely, i would love for him to have agreed. He's been the face for one of my favourite teams for as long as i have been a fan. but as an admirer, i can acknowledge that he is past his prime. I hope he proves me wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would have been really neat to see. He's been so poor though, I wouldn't know what to expect. He would have fit right into our formation at the very least.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default You have to be kidding ?....

Quote Originally Posted by NF-FC View Post
    let the random DP speculation commence!

Craig Bellamy...and go!
    I would rather lose every game of the season than have that cry baby, money grabbing waste of space here at Toronto. Bellend has to be the most overrated player in recent times.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People are delusional if they think we are going to sign top calibre european players in their prime.

Take a look at Angel, he was on a downward slide at Villa before he came here adn now hes doing incredibly well.

Be realistic about DP options, its Toronto, in the MLS, we are not going to be signing Ronaldinho.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kdzb View Post
    It's not the money,
    You've never met an agent, have you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't need to meet an agent to know that in sport in general Agents ask for the maximum profit for their proteger.

I know one thing - MLSE is filthy with money and Mo said that the board gave him the green light to buy a DP, the only thing he was waiting for is the right player to catch his eye.

The PROBLEM is BMO's playing surface...It's plastic unfortunately and if you are a big name player who wants to finish your career in beauty by helping a team get some hardware in their trophy room, you want to at least last a couple years in that club injury free.
    Even our own National Team don't want to play at BMO they have been forced to honor their contract with the city I guess to play here. Everybody knows what the CMNT players think about the surface.

Only one question is bothering me a bit:
    Is the weather any different between Montreal and Toronto during the winter?
    Why Stade Saputo is Grass and our BMO is turf?