Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I said I don't like Anselmi, but realistically he isn't going anywhere and I don't hold him individually responsible for all of MLSE's losing. I wish I had the answer, but I don't. If you think an anti-Anselmi banner is the first step in TFC's road to glory then go for it. We're all angry, I'm sure many will agree with you. Personally, I'm speaking with my wallet by not buying anything at BMO and if we don't turn it around I'm not renewing my tickets. Thinking TFC wouldn't jump at an opportunity to play Liverpool, regardless of when the game happens, is just being naive and it makes sense a 7 year old would feel that way.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wren View Post
    I said I don't like Anselmi, but realistically he isn't going anywhere and I don't hold him individually responsible for all of MLSE's losing. I wish I had the answer, but I don't. If you think an anti-Anselmi banner is the first step in TFC's road to glory then go for it. We're all angry, I'm sure many will agree with you. Personally, I'm speaking with my wallet by not buying anything at BMO and if we don't turn it around I'm not renewing my tickets. Thinking TFC wouldn't jump at an opportunity to play Liverpool, regardless of when the game happens, is just being naive and it makes sense a 7 year old would feel that way.
    Guess you didn't hear Kocic's interview... he was NOT impressed at the timing at all, caught himself and then 'towed the line'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Cityboy View Post
    this is an excellent article about the structural problems at TFC
    http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4175/...end-toronto-fc
    That is indeed an excellent article. It just might be the best analysis of the situation facing TFC that I've read. Kyle McCarthy effectively argues that multiple fundamental issues are at play and the silver bullet approach, or continued attempt to find a quick fix, will keep TFC treading water and is likely to do more harm. Thanks for the heads up TFC Cityboy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also Chris, I am with you on no more concessions.

The question is this: What do you think the ROOT problem is?

Like I said, I am pretty new to TFC so maybe I am missing something BUT it seems that MLSE and Tom Anselmi are the common denominators. MLSE is just an owner, Anselmi oversees TFC.

If you don't think that upper management has anything to do with a companies success I can point to a few dozen examples to prove you wrong:

Steve Jobs
    Warren Buffet
    Bill Gates
    Lee Iacoca (sp?)
    Gord Nixon
    Dan Hesse

If you want some more I can come up with them, but leadership matters!

MLSE is in the business of WINNING, make NO MISTAKE about that. Winning = $$$ If you had the Raptors as league champs you would have kids in Florida sporting raptors jerseys, if the leafs won the cup they could charge $5000/ticket for greens for game 7 and get it. If TFC won the MLS cup they would sell out most games and likely sell 18k+ seasons.

Just because a company turns a profit does NOT mean it is being run well, if you are the only guy selling milk in Toronto you are going to do well, no matter how poorly you manage your business or marketing, look at banks, they basically tell you to fuck off every time you call them but you have no choice. Same goes for Leafs & TFC, you want hockey in Toronto, you get the Leafs. Not a 'necessity' but I would bet that the only reason we don't have a pro team in Hamilton/KW/Guelph is because of the Leafs and MLSE, they know that if a second team were allowed in the GTA, and that team started to win, they would actually LOSE FANS. Don't think it can't happen, remember the Ballard years? And there wasn't even anywhere to flock to.

I hope that Bell/Rogers shake things up and realize that winning matters and affects the bottom line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sky View Post
    Guess you didn't hear Kocic's interview... he was NOT impressed at the timing at all, caught himself and then 'towed the line'
    i think when he said organization he meant the organization of tactics on the field

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    i think when he said organization he meant the organization of tactics on the field
    Then why would he mention the timing of the Liverpool match being bad and that they have a big empty hole in the middle of the season where it could have been?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ANYWAY...

Never made a TIFO, anyone into making an "Anselmi Out" TIFO with me?

I think as others said that would be most likely to be acceptable and not get torn down.

I honestly don't know where to start with this. Is there a 'how to' guide buried somewhere in the site?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your focus is all misdirected guys! We need Winter out, not Anselmi! If you get shot of Anselmi, Winter is still going to be overseeing the crappy tactics he's had so far this season! I don't believe Anselmi is doing anything directly to effect the results on the field!

Doing anything to protect Anselmi, IMO, is totally pointless!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Your focus is all misdirected guys! We need Winter out, not Anselmi! If you get shot of Anselmi, Winter is still going to be overseeing the crappy tactics he's had so far this season! I don't believe Anselmi is doing anything directly to effect the results on the field!

I understand your point of view. But we have switched Coaches plenty of times, We have even gotten almost a brand new team and still no success. Do you argue that we have to keep playing that game until we get a match? We have tried the common issues, Players and coaches. If there's still no result why shouldn't we turn to upper management? hes the one that oversees everything. if hes not to blame who do we blame? Its obvious someone had to say Oh lets get Aron Winter in. Is it not the choice of Anselmi at the end of the day to say yes or no? if its his consultants that choosing these coaches, get rid of them, but get rid of the guy who hired the consultants too, otherwise he may hire another bunch of people and repeat the same mistakes for another 5 years of failure.

im not directing 100% of the blame on Anselmi, but if your going to get rid of Winter, get rid of Anselmi and his consultants as well. start fresh from the upper management.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Anyone who thinks Anselmi has a say in personnel with the Leafs or Raptors is delusional, Burke or Colangello wouldn't work here under those conditions. Why would things be different with TFC?
    Perhaps a little history is in order. When Burke was hired, the former organizational structure was that Anselmi and Richard Peddie were the ones that the previous GM reported to. If the GM wanted a budget approved, it would go through Anselmi and Peddie before it went to the Board. Burke indicated that if he was to come here, he wanted complete autonomy. The organizational structure was changed in that Burke was given President and GM responsibilities and with it a direct line into the Board. Anselmi and Peddie were no longer part of the reporting structure and decision making process for the hockey team. This removed all that "sign Domi" because I said so crap.

While the Leafs are still a mess, it is clear who is in charge of that mess.

That was the same scenario with the Raptors.

TFC Management do not enjoy this same direct line to the Board. Anselmi sits in the chair that Winter/Mariner report to. He reports to the Board.

So, to answer your question as why one would think Anselmi has a say with TFC decisions, the answer is simply because he has a history of involvement and the org chat is set up that way.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just one comment for those that say sell the team - i ask to whom?

I am an Online Pole
    RPB Twitter and Facebook Bitch (http://www.twitter.com/redpatchboys)
    Pride...Passion...Purpose...and DRANK

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Whether Anselmi is directly responsible for the abysmal product on the pitch or not is irrelevant at this point. Once the sale of MLSE officially transpires this summer Anselmi will be moving on anyway.
    It's common knowledge that Peddie has been advocating for Anselmi to take over his position. Not sure how cut and dry this is. He is a MLSE man through and through.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Furtado91 View Post
    I understand your point of view. But we have switched Coaches plenty of times, We have even gotten almost a brand new team and still no success. Do you argue that we have to keep playing that game until we get a match? We have tried the common issues, Players and coaches. If there's still no result why shouldn't we turn to upper management? hes the one that oversees everything. if hes not to blame who do we blame? Its obvious someone had to say Oh lets get Aron Winter in. Is it not the choice of Anselmi at the end of the day to say yes or no? if its his consultants that choosing these coaches, get rid of them, but get rid of the guy who hired the consultants too, otherwise he may hire another bunch of people and repeat the same mistakes for another 5 years of failure.

im not directing 100% of the blame on Anselmi, but if your going to get rid of Winter, get rid of Anselmi and his consultants as well. start fresh from the upper management.
    As I've just written in the Winter thread - most world football teams go through many managers before they find a succesful one. It's just part of the game of football! However, most teams keep their GM/owners for the lifetime of their club. TFC many need to g through a couple more managers yet util they find the right now, that's just the way it works in football!

We shouldn't be scared of firing managers and getting a new one. And sometimes good managers just aren't the rigth fit. Preki was a good manager elsewhere, but he just didn't fit in Toronto. Look at John Carver and how much success he's had this season at Newcastle! He mustbe one of the hottest coaches around right now! yet he wasn't succesfull as head coach here! That isn't to say his hiring here was bad, because clearly he's a fantastic football coach!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would hazard a guess that if Anselmi goes, so does Winter (and at least 1/3 of the team) we start fresh (again...... fuck!) but with a soccer specific president of the club.

They could spend OODLES of money on a president and have it be worth it. $10m? $20m? It would pay off very well if they start packing the stands and winning hardware.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phonzo View Post
    Just one comment for those that say sell the team - i ask to whom?
    To us, fan owned team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sky View Post
    I would hazard a guess that if Anselmi goes, so does Winter (and at least 1/3 of the team) we start fresh (again...... fuck!) but with a soccer specific president of the club.

They could spend OODLES of money on a president and have it be worth it. $10m? $20m? It would pay off very well if they start packing the stands and winning hardware.
    I still say that the current squad of players we have are decent. And I think most you all agree too? We don't NEED to rebuild and start again. We've got a decent set of players - Kocic, Frei, Ecks, Morgan, Cann, Frings, Stinson, Plata, Lambe, Koevs, Johnson - we ALL agree that these are good enough players right?

So why start over again? We just need to find a new coach who can get these players winning! There's no need to start all over again right now!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I've just written in the Winter thread - most world football teams go through many managers before they find a succesful one. It's just part of the game of football! However, most teams keep their GM/owners for the lifetime of their club. TFC many need to g through a couple more managers yet util they find the right now, that's just the way it works in football!

We shouldn't be scared of firing managers and getting a new one. And sometimes good managers just aren't the rigth fit. Preki was a good manager elsewhere, but he just didn't fit in Toronto. Look at John Carver and how much success he's had this season at Newcastle! He mustbe one of the hottest coaches around right now! yet he wasn't succesfull as head coach here! That isn't to say his hiring here was bad, because clearly he's a fantastic football coach!
    You are making my point for me! The issue isn't a lack of talent, a good manager should be a good manager just about anywhere.

Please name for me a football club who has:

Gone through a manager a year
    Turned over the entire team a few times over in 5 years
    Had many of those Mangers and players be successful elsewhere (either before or after)
    and THEN find a Manager who 'gels' the team and goes on to win championships WITHOUT changing the head office at the same time they changed the manager.

I am not trying to be a jerk, I just don't think it is plausible that we have had that many bad matches.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fan owned team is easily the worst idea I've ever heard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's not forget that supposedly uncle Tom extended Mo Johnston's contract two months before the massacre in NY to end our playoff hopes. If it wasn't for that act of idiocy, Johnston would have been shown the door right then, but since somebody at the Sr. level made a blatantly bad decisions, it required another year of bumbling as matter of CYA before we sent that P.O.S. home.

This isn't a one or the other argument, Anselmi needs to go and Winter needs to go as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will say it until I am blue in the face: we need an individual owner who is passionate about football! A bottom-line oriented corporation will never work in this city.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ginkster88 View Post
    imagine the team selection thread every friday!

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Cityboy View Post
    imagine the team selection thread every friday!
    Yes, and it's beengoing so wellfor those other guys who tried it

Edit: there's a link in there, but the new site seems to hide them pretty well.
    Last edited by ginkster88; 04-23-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate Anselmi and I think he's an arrogant gas bag.
    I also don't think he's in any way shape or form responsible for the current state of the team as far as on field performance goes.
    The fact that the home numbers have been shit however is another story.
    Last edited by Stryker; 04-23-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ As President of the Leafs, is Brian Burke ultimately accountable for performance?

Why would our "President" then not be accountable for performance of the team?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Biggest reason being that Burke is the one pulling the trigger on every trade made.
    Anselmi isn't........ anymore.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ so next season comes and goes and there are no playoffs for the Leafs... Burke lets Nonis take over the GM duties, you are cool with him staying on a President?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    ^ so next season comes and goes and there are no playoffs for the Leafs... Burke lets Nonis take over the GM duties, you are cool with him staying on a President?
    I never said ethier Burke or Anselmi deserved to keep their jobs. I merely pointed out that Dickhead Tom isn't directly responsible for the crap play we've been seeing of late. He (suposedly) no longer has any influence on players or tactics.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

But where do you get that he doesn't have any influence on players or tactics? Did Mariner have free reign to sign our DPs? What if he wanted to buy out JDG, who approves that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    But where do you get that he doesn't have any influence on players or tactics? Did Mariner have free reign to sign our DPs? What if he wanted to buy out JDG, who approves that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    I also don't think he's in any way shape or form responsible for the current state of the team...
    I can't prove it one way or another nor can you. It's merely a speculative opinion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ginkster88 View Post
    Really? Odd that you would say that since a large number of world class clubs are owned precisely this way.