Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default If you were given the reins today...

What would you do over the next week/month/3 months/year

There are a LOT of smart people on here, Winter looks like he will have to fall on his sword or get the boot: so if you got the job, how would you do it? Who would you bring in? What formation would you play? Tactics? Style?

Interested to hear this, please keep it positive. There is already a trash Winter thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sky View Post
    What would you do over the next week/month/3 months/year

There are a LOT of smart people on here, Winter looks like he will have to fall on his sword or get the boot: so if you got the job, how would you do it? Who would you bring in? What formation would you play? Tactics? Style?

Interested to hear this, please keep it positive. There is already a trash Winter thread.
    I wouldn't.

I would turn it down and demand Tom Anselmi's job.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would simply start by motivating the players. Winter's main issue is that he can't seem to get his team going - it takes TFC at least until half time to warm up to a game, by that time they are already losing! I would also start to man manage some of the players to try and get the best out of them. I would sit down with JDG and have a long talk about his play. I would work on the players off the ball movement and passing, and get them moving into space, something they are poor at right now.

I would consider getting a CB, but I also think that we have a depth of CB's that are pretty good. I'd give Emory or Henry, and Cann a run as the centre back pairing, and wouldn't change them for at least 4 games. Right now, TFC haven't had the same centre back pairing for two games straight all seasons. CB's need to get to know each other.

I would instruct the wingers (my choice would be Lambe and Plata) to stick to the touchlines and spread the play wider, giving the whole team a bigger surface to play on, and giving the two wingers room to run at the full backs.

I don't think I would do much more than that, But these are all things Winter doesn't appear to be doing right now!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd ban the creation of new threads by people who have only been here a few weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#1 - Fire Tom Anselmi would be my first move. Assuming that by "given the reins" you are referring to becoming the owner of TFC. There's really no other way to go about it. He is inept and has proven that for several years now.

#2 - I would change the formation to include two Strikers: 1. Koevermans, 2. Johnson.

#3 - Bring in a Centre Back who has more mobility than Soolsma, Cann, Frings, Harden, Dunfield.

#4 - Bring back Paul Winsper or someone with similar background to help with the endurance problems at TFC.

#5 - Dump the following players: Harden, Dunfield, Emory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd push Winter upstairs and De Clerk to the academy. I'd hire Rafael Carjabal and have Mariner as his assistant. I'd sign Tihomir Maletic and I'd play 4-4-2. I'd stop trying to be Barca and start trying to Big Sam's Bolton.

Also, I'd call all my friends and family and rub it in their faces that such a big shot that I'm running a pro sports team. I'd encourage people to show up to the games on time and stand up when some needs to move in and out the isle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two words: Holger Osieck! Holger's Hero's Part 2

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd start trading for some MLS quality players.
    We need an expansion draft badly at this point, because as awesome as this whole idea is of raising our own Academy players, they're not first-team ready yet. We need an infusion of MLS talent.

If we want to be competitive, we need to play by the leagues style - that means control the midfield, build quickly, a smart four man defence.
    I'd also pick up Mac Kandji, Dejan Jakovic and Patrick Nyarko, all great players who aren't vital for their teams. We need these MLS guys at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    I'd ban the creation of new threads by people who have only been here a few weeks.
    See my post in the "why TFC" thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    I'd start trading for some MLS quality players.
    We need an expansion draft badly at this point, because as awesome as this whole idea is of raising our own Academy players, they're not first-team ready yet. We need an infusion of MLS talent.

If we want to be competitive, we need to play by the leagues style - that means control the midfield, build quickly, a smart four man defence.
    I'd also pick up Mac Kandji, Dejan Jakovic and Patrick Nyarko, all great players who aren't vital for their teams. We need these MLS guys at this point.
    Its too bad that TFC has nothing to trade for Jakovic. Kandji, from what i recall is tall and quick but his dribbling is something like Dunfield's slap of the ball. Nyarko, I dont know if speed is anything worth talking about in MLS if there's no first touch and no finishing skills. His shots look like crosses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    #1 - Fire Tom Anselmi would be my first move. Assuming that by "given the reins" you are referring to becoming the owner of TFC. There's really no other way to go about it. He is inept and has proven that for several years now.

#2 - I would change the formation to include two Strikers: 1. Koevermans, 2. Johnson.

#3 - Bring in a Centre Back who has more mobility than Soolsma, Cann, Frings, Harden, Dunfield.

#4 - Bring back Paul Winsper or someone with similar background to help with the endurance problems at TFC.

#5 - Dump the following players: Harden, Dunfield, Emory
    So, you'd be an owner who meddles in the running of the team?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd ask Klinsmann to give back the money.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I were magically given the position of President; the first and only thing I'd do is find my own replacement, then immediately resign when the right person comes in to take over.

This is what Tom Anselmi should have done years ago.

I'd be well out of my depth when it comes to overseeing a professional soccer club like TFC. It's a job that involves strict financial management, player acquisitions and negotiations, staff and coaching administration. It's a job I know I wouldn't be able to handle, but that's okay because I can acknowledge my limitations.

I do know that Winter is not working out with the club, but I'm at a loss as to who would be a suitable replacement.

I think we need to offload JDG, but I'm not privy to the details of his contract and wouldn't know how to begin untangling ourselves from it.

I agree with NBF with regards to Harden and Dunfield (though I think there is some hope left in Emory), but off the top of my head, I'm don't know who we could bring in to replace them - or perhaps most importantly, who would want to.

The point is, I know that we're not working with what we have right now. 6 league games in with no points and a goal differential of -9 pretty much says it all. This team is just not competitive with it's current roster and coaching staff. And to get back on track, this club needs a complete overhaul from top to bottom.

And I'd start at the top.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 04-21-2012 at 10:21 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is only one thing you need to know about Julian's contract...

It ends this year.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah I don't see JDG being back with TFC. If they could get rid of him in the summer I'm sure they would.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the real kicker:

Despite the apparent patience of some on this board to embark on yet another multi-year experiment, most fans are voting with their feet and wallet.

What are the odds current or future management are allowed to bring in another expensive Designated Player?

I say if TFC's record does not improve in a significant manner I'm willing to bet the odds start moving against us that we continue to have 3 DPs on this club in the near future. Corporate owners expect results given the resources they've thrown into this club.

And lord knows this club needs all the help it can get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ It's likely the first DPs were only signed after their entire salaries had already been banked by the team after three years of sellouts. In order to sign more DPs afterr these more money will have to be banked. Or new owners will have to take a different approach, but so far this team hasn't done any deficit spending. So, it depends on ticket sales.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    So, you'd be an owner who meddles in the running of the team?
    lol - ZING!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We don't need 3 DP's. Get rid of Julian and bring in two quality MLS players who can fill in the holes we have in some positions (Midfield, CB)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    ^ It's likely the first DPs were only signed after their entire salaries had already been banked by the team after three years of sellouts. In order to sign more DPs afterr these more money will have to be banked. Or new owners will have to take a different approach, but so far this team hasn't done any deficit spending. So, it depends on ticket sales.
    I agree.

Now...I wasn't at the game but it didn't look anywhere near sold out. And I had real trouble off-loading my tickets, and I own the most desired tickets at BMO Field. We know TFC made a real marketing push to offload season tickets and then partial season packages. And we know they've burned through their much lauded "waiting list". What does this point to?

I think they are scared what this off-season will hold. I think we're looking at the potential for real damage to ST numbers and projections for a significant loss, something this team has not yet experienced and did not expect.

You don't have to have my position or job to know what money-grubbing corporations do when one of their divisions begins to lose money.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    There is only one thing you need to know about Julian's contract...

It ends this year.

Well, yeah I think pretty much everyone has marked the date down on their calendars.

Actually, now that I think of it, JDG's future status with the club is probably the most uncomplicated decision anyone could make.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 04-21-2012 at 10:56 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't have to have my position or job to know what money-grubbing corporations do when one of their divisions begins to lose money.
    Wouldn't surprise me if TFC has zero DP's next year (or the following year if Frings and Koevermans just play out their contracts).

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tactically, I'd go 4-1-4-1. This suits the players we have, Frings being the sweeper.
    We need more bodies in the middle of the pitch, we can't let teams expose us the way they do.
    Stop playing De Guzman. Just stop. He is neither an effective holding midfielder nor is he a good attacking option. He might be a decent second holding midfielder, but that doesn't work in MLS, not enough talent to go around under a tight salary cap.
    In the short-term we won't be able to solve our fullback situation, we'll have to let the formation, endurance, and just some basic heads-up defensive strategies get us through. Who's in charge of this defence? Diego Maradonna?!
    ¡Vamos Celta!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's only one "n" in Maradona papi...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^

I'm tired, I had a long day, both games I watched went bad .... cut me some slack tío!
    ¡Vamos Celta!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Personally I would not fire Winter (although I'm stuck on whether he should give up coaching duties and just be GM or whatever he is).

2. I would fire the MLSE marketing staff who have basically been non-existent for a while (the supporters do much of the marketing for them) and try to revitalize the brand with young people.

3. I would make NCC and some CCL games free for under 15 year olds to get more people and more possible young fans to the Stadium.

4. I would give a portion of the supporters ticket revenue to the supporters (much like they do with the TA) so they can produce more TIFO and more fan-friendly initiatives.

5. I would start on plans to build a 30,000 seat stadium (with a roof) in or near downtown Toronto as I feel the bad attendance has as much to do with the weather and the wind as the team being bad.

6. Get rid of all the players who won't be back next year and start giving major time to all the academy products I'm mean I'm sure that Dunfield keeps us from losing by 4 goals or more but if we're not making the playoffs I'd rather be last with Cordon, Makubuya, Stinson, and Henry playing than 15th with guys who won't be here next year.

7. No more GOL TV. Every game must be broadcast on a Major Network and no more of 'the game will be tape delayed because the Detroit Tigers are playing the Rangers' bullshit.

8. Double our scouting staff and put more focus on Latin America (that business of signing the CB who was so inadequate he didn't ever play a game was almost unforgivable) and the NCAA (most of the players may still be shit but its good that when you draft you have him and don't have to compete with other clubs for his signature and also a couple of good players every year seem to emerge and become great players)

9. I would try to resign De Guz on $175-200 thousand as I still think he's can be a solid contributer. Koev a 33 year old who can't attain match fitness is a problem I would dump him after the season and get a younger DP something even more advantageous under the rules. Frings a 35 year old but seems to bring much as a elder statesman keep him for the length of contract.

10. Abandon policy of bringing in MLS American veterans as one year stop gaps like Dasan Robinson, Iro, Peterson as I don't think that's how a Canadian team can and will compete in MLS. While many people may disagree wih my belief, traditionally Canadian teams playing in American leagues have been unable (without massively overpaying) to get quality veteran American players. Perhaps to be replaced with Loans from better leagues.

11. Any player who is under 24 and is not likely to get minutes should be loaned out to a club with a similar philosophy (FC Edmonton) to get more minutes. MLS reserves play what 15 games a year?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^

Pretty interesting points.
    ¡Vamos Celta!

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's with the guys who are against starting threads unless you're some veteran poster? Jesus.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd stop starting Plata........(only dangerous as a late game sub)...simply terrible and a wasted spot today..........and I'd teach the forwards that on a counter-attack/cross you need more than 1 player up the field as a target.......we need to attack attack attack......stop playing like we are ahead in the game,.......I'd demand to know exactly what Mariners philosophy is in finding players for TFC,....??? and I pray we don't have Steve Nicol,....a regressive step,....but totally in the MLSE tradition of playing it safe...../cautious
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd ask Klinsmann to give back the money.
    hahaha that guy must still be grinning like a twat. No wonder hes all smiles when you see him on TV.

MLSE - 'Jurgen, here's a fat bag of money, what should we do to improve this team.'

Jurgen - 'Well I dont know Toronto very well, I am German after all, but I think Toronto soccer fans like watching football, and Ajax in Holland are a good team. Once upon a time they introduced a system called 'Total Football' and this was very popular.

MLSE - 'Total Football?" that sounds fucking amazing, the marketing people will go fucking nuts....we like you already, here's another bag of money. Tell us how to get this Total Football.

Jurgen - Well there is funnily enough a Dutch Academy with Ajax links just down the street from you. Go and talk to those dudes..they will help.

MLSE - Thanks Jurgen, you've saved our corporate venture....er...team.

Jurgen - You are welcome, and thankyou for the bags of money. goodbye.