Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why TFC?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC doesn't have enough history to keep its fanbase. I will always support TFC, but I also always support the Leafs, Jays, Raptors. I'm from Toronto, I cheer for my Toronto teams in the sports that I like.

But for others, TFC will just become an afterthought and they will simply go back to concentrating more on their old-world team they supported before TFC.

Its sad when you think about the squandered opportunity.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am pretty new to soccer, I think outside this group you would find a lot more like me who never supported a team outside of the world cup before TFC came along.

For hockey I am a habs fan, I was born in Montreal and my mom always cheered for the habs.

Baseball, I am a jays fan because I went to a lot of jays games as a kid.

TFC was my first real experience with live soccer, and soccer is a sport best enjoyed live IMO. I can't imagine supporting another team over TFC, although I really do enjoy watching RSL play, they would never come above my TFC.

Toronto 'til I die!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love Hab fans that sing Toronto Til I Die at BMO Field with little sense of irony...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I was born and raised in Toronto. A team that bears the name of my city gets my support. But if that team shows, within a few years of its inception, that they take that support for granted, then they are going to lose it.
    Other then the born and raised part, ditto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm from the GTA. I support my local team.

There's more I'd like to say on the subject, but it'd just open a can of worms and I'm slowly learning when to shut my fat mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    I love Hab fans that sing Toronto Til I Die at BMO Field with little sense of irony...

Do pictures count?
    Last edited by Brooker; 04-22-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    Fair enough...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I,m am Toronto FC supporter thought highs and lows just like leafs.I want the kids to see there may be a place for them in football.Don,t care what other think I bleed the red and blue.I do the one and half hour drive to see boys when they play.And I just love the the game of football!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the love of fuck, please.... PLEASE don't lose today, L.A.

THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AS hard as this is to say... If I was born and raised in Montreal (or Vancouver, or Seattle, or god forbid - Ohio) then I'd probably support the home team too.

This thread ask the question "why do you like the home team?" The answer is pretty simple
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Juanito View Post
    Your posts are refreshing Billy.
    I have a red card by my name to show for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

simple answer: mls was never on my radar...until tfc

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    Really? I thought through thick and thin?
    Thick and thin, but not bent over and violated from behind. I love having TFC here and that hasn't changed, though my conviction has been shaken by the complete mismanagement of the football side of things since the beginning. The ownership of the two teams in my city that mean the most to me are grossly incompetent and have shown me no inkling that they know, or care, how to build a winning team. So at some point, when you see that they don't care at the top levels, then it starts to eat away at your faith.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if the players actually repped there home towns then i could understand the city pride, but as it stands players and coaches are mercenaries.

I feel the only connection to the city is the fact that they decided that's where the most profits could be made

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Thick and thin, but not bent over and violated from behind. I love having TFC here and that hasn't changed, though my conviction has been shaken by the complete mismanagement of the football side of things since the beginning. The ownership of the two teams in my city that mean the most to me are grossly incompetent and have shown me no inkling that they know, or care, how to build a winning team. So at some point, when you see that they don't care at the top levels, then it starts to eat away at your faith.
    At least we can say they do care about our "behinds" for last two games TFC and Nivea are giving all fans Nivea Vaseline for men after the game,I would suggest they give them to us before the game so we can apply on time,not after.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    if the players actually repped there home towns then i could understand the city pride, but as it stands players and coaches are mercenaries.

I feel the only connection to the city is the fact that they decided that's where the most profits could be made
    Unfortunately, this is true in many cities all over the world. It's just that, here in Toronto, there wasn't a tradition built before the current conditions came into effect.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post

I dont know. You get the impression that some of the players really love the city. Young guys like Plata and Ecks love the place, and older people like Dichio and Carl Robinson want to make it a long term home.

Toronto is an amazing place to live, shame about the quality of our teams...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ my profit comment wasnt directed at the players, more the owners

toronto would be MY choice over most of the choices out there

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd take Charleston

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To the people that red carded me as 'mocking new users" or "personal attack", pls learn to read and learn context.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I came for the supporter's gate, but stayed for the billyfly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am what keeps this board and 112 together.

I am the glue.

Time for Roogs to give up the title.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's football, it's local, it's our tribe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    I dont know. You get the impression that some of the players really love the city. Young guys like Plata and Ecks love the place, and older people like Dichio and Carl Robinson want to make it a long term home.

Toronto is an amazing place to live, shame about the quality of our teams...
    Yes.

Most people who hate Toronto are Western Canadians, or people from the GTA who have the same bullshit 'I need to get out of this town' mentality that exists in every city in the world. I'm from Calgary and it's hard to believe sometimes how many Calgarians want to go to Vancouver, which as far as I can tell consists exclusively of pretentious yuppies, pretentious hippies, ultrapretentious West Coast-type hipsters, the homeless, drug gangs, and prostitutes. And moreover is a tremendously ugly urban space with some nice scenery around it. They usually come back two years later hating their decision.

K, sorry for ranting, but the point is really that while Toronto is not LA or New York to most people, it's certainly the case that a lot of people, those more open-minded/urban AND those more traditional/suburban will love Toronto because it's a fantastic city that affords a multiplicity of lifestyles. And it's a much better city than LA. I'm honestly convinced that to players outside those with a certain mindset (let's call it the Beckham mindset), Toronto would face more of a challenge from Chicago or Seattle than from LA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i hate when people support teams/cities that they have never been to or have no ties to the city what so ever. You see people from Toronto with Washing Capital jerseys, NY Yankees hats, LA Galaxy jerseys or people born in London but support Manchester United even tho they have no family there and never even been to Manchester before and have other teams in there own city, but instead support them just because they either are a top team that year or because there is some good players on the team, then few years later change teams again because all of a sudden the team isn't good any more. In my opinion support your city your local team and support them through thick and thin.
    Last edited by james; 04-22-2012 at 01:05 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good post.

I honestly think most of the players feel a pride for this city, even if they know they are only here for a short while.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post

I am the glue.

god i wish i could have the power to make you a god
    i never cared for the sport till TFC came along.
    everything around here, well it's not great. heck even the MLS isn't, but hey it good enough for me to complain about.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't hate people that support winners. it's nice to feel like that. one day I hope we find out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Belfast_Boy View Post
    i don't hate people that support winners. it's nice to feel like that. one day I hope we find out.
    but if they only support winners they will never know what its like to really win after supporting a team thats been losing for so many years!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    but if they only support winners they will never know what its like to really win after supporting a team thats been losing for so many years!!!
    or they can be a fan of a winning team and learn to love the sport. winning sides have brought in a huge amount of new fans. some fall off the bandwagon but others have become great supporters. it doesn't matter how we get here, there's enough room for us all..... except for Columbus, there's no excuse for that.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post

I am the glue.

Nobody is more surprised than I am at having two green cards beside my name.

It's all yours Billy. Use the infamy well!