Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Belfast_Boy View Post
    I agree with you Pete, that part of the game has improved. Unfortunately it seems that other teams improve at a much faster rate. at the end of the day we're still losing and not much is changing.
    It's amazing how rarely this comes up in our discussions. It often seems like TFC operates as if in a bubble, as if it doesn't matter what the other teams are doing. How can a team with such a dismal record over five seasons think it can dictate the play in any way?

This is that old joke about the surgery being a success but the patient dying.

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    I guess so. If we play shit football and luck into some results, that's better for you? I guess it must be. I can't see that making for consistent success, but guys are so desperate for success in this town they just want the shortest route there.

I'd prefer we have a form and style of higher quality than what you get in MLS's physical roughshod ways. MLS is fucking BORING, anyone who watches any other league in the world knows the overall quality of the MLS and the way most clubs play is piss in comparison. I don't think many MLS clubs are going to build players beyond the journeymen that they are with the way that they play the game. How to develop high quality skill playing a game that just abuses underskilled players and takes advantage of mistake? Rather than playing in a free flowing fluid manner that demands higher level of skill and execution?

I think we'll also be a more attractive club to European/skill players if we continue on a path of playing a more skillful form of football. Just happens we don't have a roster that was well suited but we're working through that. If you look at our roster, it was tore up and rebuild just last summer, they haven't even been together a year as a group and I didn't believe this transformation into the club Winter is pushing us to be, would happen this fast. Apparently the rest of you do, that's fine I guess.

From a CMNT perspective, we're going to give our developing domestic players a chance to reach higher potentials, than if TFC plays like just another MLS club, playing football that just doesn't compete with the rest of the world. We see it in the CCL when Mexican clubs just trounce our MLS teams. We need to play more like that, none of this physical retarded ass monkey shit football that's crammed down our throats by Garber. Eventually, when we grow and execute higher, we'll make this physical garbage look like shit, like Santos did to us and Seattle. That's what the club believes and I believe it too.

Perhaps I have more patience than most. Perhaps I'm not as desperate to win because I don't really support any other Toronto sports teams. I dunno, but I think there's a strong lack of deep breaths and looking at the whole situation. Does it not take years of player development to make players play in total sync, demonstrating high skill and total understanding of the entire form? Again, most of this roster has been together less than a calendar fucking year! Players who have shown trouble making the simplest of fucking plays at times! Ok...

Yes we have no points, but lets not pretend we haven't been inches away from having an entirely different record either. How many times has Johnson "just missed" alone? So had he buried all his chances we'd all be satisfied and everything is working? A matter of inches has nothing to do with Winter, but it is the difference in about 6-7pts.

Anyways, continue with your "i'm angry and want wins now ranting", then perhaps we can blow it up and we'll give the next coach/roster a year before we tear their heads off and carry on with threads like these.
    spot on

i am not nearly ready to give up on winter and his plans
    these guys are trying to bring decent football to toronto that was always the plan --- it dont happen overnight lets continue to support them and in the long term the success will be worth it
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Even Pep would be questioned. He would still have enough rope from his past successes that he wouldn't be fired over an 0-6 start, but if Barcelona ended up finishing 8th in La Liga for example, even Pep would have a tenuous grip on his job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Exactly.

0-6 any manger any were should be questioned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showth...-against-Siena

Just for the record, Italian supporters reacting just as I have always said Italian supporters would react.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rene Kingsriver View Post
    There wasn't even an EPL in those days! the gap between English and Scottish teams was a lot smaller in those days, I can remember Aberdeen knocking Ipswich (UEFA Cup holders and English league runners-up) out of Europe. Aberdeen weren't a minnow either, they were challenging the Old Firm for a decade.
    Of course, I didn't want to complicate my post by saying the Old League 1, followed by the EPL, Scottish First division followed by the SPL. Seems like one has to be extremely exact or some people here jump all over you.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 04-23-2012 at 11:58 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post

This is that old joke about the surgery being a success but the patient dying.
    Yeah, like we played 'attractive' football, 'built from the back' and passed the ball really well but we lost.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showth...-against-Siena

Just for the record, Italian supporters reacting just as I have always said Italian supporters would react.
    and now Genoa will have to play their next two home games behind closed doors,they did a great job for their club,idiots.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Of course, I didn't want to complicate my post by saying League 1, etc., followed by the EPL, Scottish First division followed by the SPL. Seems like one has to be extremely exact or people here jump all over you.
    Actually, someone who spouts wiki-facts and trivia to back up very divisive arguments really should be exact. Its ethical.

With moderator authority, some people might actual give more weight to your inaccuracies, and the next thing you know you have an army of posters spouting little falsehoods as fact and clogging up the truths of the debate.

The EPL and SPL are remarkably different entities than the old first divisions, and you're talking as if things back then were like they are now. Nobody who followed british football in the eighties would call Aberdeen 'minnows'

You want to debate with someone who actually watched Fergie's Aberdeen and saw the United team he inherited from Ron Atkinson, live. You'd better have done a little more research than you did. You cannot, on any day, at any time, compare Winter's coaching record with that of Fergie's prior to his appointment at Manchester United. You also cant disregard that Fergie achieved 2nd in Division One before the 89/90 season (that was pretty fucked up for everybody in english football

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now Toronto are minnows. Will the current coach do for us what Fergie did for Aberdeen?

Could the current coach have done for Aberdeen what Fergie did for Aberdeen?

Ask yourself that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    and now Genoa will have to play their next two home games behind closed doors,they did a great job for their club,idiots.
    they new what they were doing. and new the likely consequences. the sent the message that they wanted to send. Are you telling me that the delije or grobari would not do the same?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they new what they were doing. and new the likely consequences. the sent the message that they wanted to send. Are you telling me that the delije or grobari would not do the same?
    Oh they would ,but that still does not make it right,does it?
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    Actually, someone who spouts wiki-facts and trivia to back up very divisive arguments really should be exact. Its ethical.

With moderator authority, some people might actual give more weight to your inaccuracies, and the next thing you know you have an army of posters spouting little falsehoods as fact and clogging up the truths of the debate.

The EPL and SPL are remarkably different entities than the old first divisions, and you're talking as if things back then were like they are now. Nobody who followed british football in the eighties would call Aberdeen 'minnows'

You want to debate with someone who actually watched Fergie's Aberdeen and saw the United team he inherited from Ron Atkinson, live. You'd better have done a little more research than you did. You cannot, on any day, at any time, compare Winter's coaching record with that of Fergie's prior to his appointment at Manchester United. You also cant disregard that Fergie achieved 2nd in Division One before the 89/90 season (that was pretty fucked up for everybody in english football
    Not to split hairs further but it was actually the Scottish Premier Division at the time. (which isn't the SPL). I saw fergies Aberdeen a number of times. I also saw his inherited Man U team in the mid 80s too. Very good teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ At some point, there is little else a supporter feels that they can do. Juve did it the season before, now Juve is back in CL, winning Serie A, and I can tell you they are on the way to challenge for the CL title, in the next several years.

I am not for it or against it, it depends on the specific situation. But people were telling me that this is not what supporters do.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah, like we played 'attractive' football, 'built from the back' and passed the ball really well but we lost.
    Except TFC isn't built from the back.

You figure that's where they would start first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ At some point, there is little else a supporter feels that they can do. Juve did it the season before, now Juve is back in CL, winning Serie A, and I can tell you they are on the way to challenge for the CL title, in the next several years.

I am not for it or against it, it depends on the specific situation. But people were telling me that this is not what supporters do.
    OK it maybe a bit too far. The Milan supporters would ask, but then the Carabinieri and Polizia would react with batons, I am not sure how the authorities allowed this. This would not be allowed at San Siro, by the authorities. They would clear the curva sud.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, Supporters do that and many other things too,but do you think something like that would fly here in North America?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    Except TFC isn't built from the back.

You figure that's where they would start first.

That's crazy talk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Oh, Supporters do that and many other things too,but do you think something like that would fly here in North America?
    I am surprised that it flew in Italy, the security presence must have been light, as they would not have expected trouble at the Genoa v Sienna match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 123 elite View Post
    Not to split hairs further but it was actually the Scottish Premier Division at the time. (which isn't the SPL). I saw fergies Aberdeen a number of times. I also saw his inherited Man U team in the mid 80s too. Very good teams.
    You are correct in what you say here, it was the Scottish Premier Division and Aberdeen was a fantastic team at the time. Calling them minnows is not at all accurate as they were consistently challenging Scotland's big two for a near ten year stretch, which is unprecidented in the history of that league.

The Manchester United of the 1980's contained some great players, but by and large they were a good cup team but nowhere near consistently good enough to compete for the league title. This is why Fergie was brought in, and of course to sort out the drinking culture they had in the dressing room at the time. As stated he finished in second in his second year in charge, two years later he won the FA Cup and kicked off two decades of success.

But back on to the point of my post, I think putting Fergie and Winter in the same sentence is absolutely ridiculous and I'm not sure why this was even brought up. It's apples and oranges.

Bringing Winter into this club and installing him as first team manager was an absolute gamble that may have always been doomed to failure. Despite his work with Ajax, he had never been in a charge of a first team squad, had little to no idea of what he was getting into here in the MLS, and has been trying to implement a system that simply will not work with the players at his disposal. He does not have what it takes to win in this league, and is too damn stubborn to adapt his tactics to get the results we badly need. It would be like asking my Thursday night beer league team to start playing ticki-tacka like Barcelona.

Is Winter the only problem at the club? Hell no! Anyone with a reasonable brain that follows Toronto sports knows that the problem is top down, and that the suits from MLSE have utterly no clue as to how to operate a successful sports team. But unfortunately we are likely stuck with Anselmi and his cronies for the foreseeable future, so why not change something that will have a more immediate effect and change the coach? Because I'm almost certain at this point that anyone could do a better job with this group than Winter.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With moderator authority, some people might actual give more weight to your inaccuracies,
    Why don't you just give the facts as you see them without the personal attack? It might make more people hear your argument (including myself).

I'm not too proud to reconsider when someone gives well-reasoned arguments. Just ask Roogsy, it may have taken him a year, but I've come a lot closer to his viewpoint over that time.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 04-23-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 123 elite View Post
    Good maybe you can help. I just claimed that Gordon Strachan scored a great goal in that final, but when I watched on youtube it became obvious my memory is fuzzy too.

Can you remember the game where Strachan scored an incredible bicycle kick goal? I would like to watch that again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

honestly, this years toronto fc team has ruined my summer already.. being a college student thats really into soccer and watches at least 10 hours of soccer a week i was hoping to stay dedicated to this years team, enjoy the bmo stadium with some friends, celebrate and chant in sections 112-117.. but we've been sucked out of 5 games in a row and i feel that every penny spent on toronto fc is a total royal flush down the toilet..

i mean is it so hard to ask for a team that can produce some mediocre results? i'll give the boys credit for last game scoring two goals, i think lambe was player of the game thats going to work hard to shine in this league but as for the rest of the team there is nothing special..

i dont have much to do and all i wanted to do was support the local home team and now even that has been sucked out of me due to the losses, what a shame.. toronto is hopeless for major league sports and it brings a tear to my eye even as i type this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pawlukj View Post

i mean is it so hard to ask for a team that can produce some mediocre results?
    This is what happens when you start out with no ambition. Nobody set high expectations and six years later people are calling for mediocrity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good maybe you can help. I just claimed that Gordon Strachan scored a great goal in that final, but when I watched on youtube it became obvious my memory is fuzzy too.

Can you remember the game where Strachan scored an incredible bicycle kick goal? I would like to watch that again.
    he crossed one in for Black to bicycle kick but it didnt go in...see about 18 secs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2tTz9kF6s0

My favourite is his advertising board jump attempt at 2min 50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8n55P43-ug

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i give alot of credit to the people that keep going to the games and sing and chant regardless of the record, but i feel that i wont be joining in at least until htey get another win, what a shame too because whats better on summer's saturday than to go to the BMO field and watch some good footy.. they have to start playing good footy to attract the fans back, i think we have the players that are in play.. we just have to somehow attack down the midfield, maybe switch the formation.. and play more gelled..

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Might have been a league match or an earlier European fixture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well obviously above mediocrity is what i want but is it so hard to ask for a start of the season that is mediocre which means it can lead to the playoffs,,

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    They were definitely more exciting, and had a substantially better record than what we have now.
    I'd cut barret and sign plata and koevs. What a friggen team we had then