Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Saturday, April 21, Chicago @ TFC 3:30 PM post-game rant

OK, have a go. What's wrong with TFC. The players? The coach? The fans? The ownership? All of the above?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Were a better team with Frings pushing the tempo going forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate to say it, but the schedule doesn't get any easier from here. I think Winter's got 2-3 games tops to turn this thing around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Que the Aaron Winter post game press conference "bad luck" comments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on this game, I would say we played okay but we made couple mistakes and plus bad luck. But the team looked much better compare to last game. Play Frings in the mid for now on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's hard. Just .. hard, after six seasons of this. Same issues of poor motivation, poor tactics.

I have to say I'm now weighing towards getting rid of Winter. Hard to stay neutral anymore; too many of the same mistakes, lack of prep, lack of tactical adaption.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"The Fortress" officially becomes "The Abattoir" where hopes and dreams come to die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2012 - The end of TFC

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need a CD.

We saw what can happen when we use Frings in the midfield.

Frankly, I'd rather have him in the midfield and have a bad player as the other CD.

Oh........and its still better a better team to watch then every other season we've had.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nerepis View Post
    "The Fortress" officially becomes "The whorehouse" where everybody scores.
    Edit:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck it. I'm gonna say it. We're all mugs. We've been fed this shite and been too scared to speak up for being seen as "non loyal" fans. Its awful. We are terrible, lack drive and care.

I for one won't be returning as long as this lasts. It costs an extortionate amount for absolutely no reward. If you want to, fine. Just realise you're feeding the MLSE and their distinct lack of management when it comes to any sports team.

My mate hit the nail on the head last year when he came over to visit. "You're a half-arsed team playing in front of a half full stadium, with half-talented players"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter is clueless and needs to go right now. Anyone who thinks that this squad coached by even Preki or Cummins wouldn't have had at least three points in six games has got to be a bit delusional about this league. This loss was on Winter. I don't think there were any particularly poor performances from TFC players today. Winter is Cruyff 2.0. It's clear he can't win to save his life. Hire anybody. Or, you know, Paul Mariner could probably do a good job. Just get Winter out of Toronto asap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    OK, have a go. What's wrong with TFC. The players? The coach? The fans? The ownership? All of the above?
    All of the above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank god the Euros are just around the corner.....perhaps TFC will manage a point by then

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoGooner View Post
    Fuck it. I'm gonna say it. We're all mugs. We've been fed this shite and been too scared to speak up for being seen as "non loyal" fans. Its awful. We are terrible, lack drive and care.

I for one won't be returning as long as this lasts. It costs an extortionate amount for absolutely no reward. If you want to, fine. Just realise you're feeding the MLSE and their distinct lack of management when it comes to any sports team.

My mate hit the nail on the head last year when he came over to visit. "You're a half-arsed team playing in front of a half full stadium, with half-talented players"
    speak for yourself sir, I have been critical from the preseason. Its all on record!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    We need a CD.

We saw what can happen when we use Frings in the midfield.

Frankly, I'd rather have him in the midfield and have a bad player as the other CD.

Oh........and its still better a better team to watch then every other season we've had.
    Friends of mine spotted some mlse directors in their box today, they appeared completely oblivious to the game, hardly watching at all, behaving much the same way they do in the Rogers centre when the leafs are playing. Unless this team is sold to a true soccer fan with money to back up his interest, this cub is only going to get worse, not better. Yes, I know, they spent money on the academy. Yes that is a good thing. That too is an asset, they can sell it to Danny Dichio, whatever. Soccer in this city is a lousy as hockey now....entertaining? Sure. They played better today, but so did Chicago. This is still a recipe for a record low mls win column....real question: Will this team win a game before the summer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't blame luck here. I think there's severe problems in the tactics and personnel. We can't start with a three man defence where two defenders are slow against forwards with serious speed. Secondly, while its good to see Johnson active in getting the ball, as soon as he leaves that target man position, our crosses are directed at guys like Plata, Lambe and Avila who aren't winning anything in the air. Haven't won anything in the air. I thought this was obvious during the game against Columbus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a lack of everything. Passion, unity, aiming at the net. Encouragement is important after missed opportunities. Except for Avila's spankin' of Frings' ass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
    I don't think there were any particularly poor performances from TFC players today. .
    I don't think you can just absolve all the players of blame. Morgan was poor. Can't cross... can't pass... misjudges balls... I love his physicality and speed but he's very raw. Frings and Kocic made a massive blunder on the first goal (that had nothing to do with Winter).

I'm not a fan of the 3-at-the-back though. That needs to stop.
    Last edited by rocker; 04-21-2012 at 04:59 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Snake bitten. That's all I can say.

How else can you describe falling behind after 25 FUCKING SECONDS INTO THE GAME, then after clawing back to take a lead for the first time this season give up a goal a minute later to lose the lead, then fall behind in the second half and finally throwing everything plus the kitchen sink at Chicago only to come up with nothing and finish with another loss to go 0-6, tied for the worst start in MLS history.

This club, and us supporters who follow this team, are fucking snake bitten. And we're dying from it.

The gods of soccer are using Toronto as their personal shitter.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoGooner View Post
    We are terrible, lack drive and care.
    Simply not true. TFC does not really play any worse than the average 5th or 4th place Eastern Conference team going forward. The players are trying. I don't know why everyone is denying that.

They cannot be put out with those formations and those tactics and expected to succeed. With Harden and Maund as CBs with significant playing minutes, you could blame the players for letting in those goals. This game, you have got to blame the boss. This match was a crystalline summary of everything that is wrong with Winter. He is utterly clueless about how to manage in this league.

I'll be glad if he proves me wrong. But seriously, just get someone with a clue to manage the team. There is no excuse. All over the MLS there are teams with squads that are no better than us that are taking reasonable numbers of points. It's because their management is not stubbornly ignorant about the league even after a full season in charge.

On the plus side, TFC is still only six points out of a playoff position.

Fire Winter and they might have a chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a game. Who'd of thought that despite scoring two goals we'd still say that they suck at finishing. We had so many chances and it was bad luck and horrible mistakes by Kocic (who made several excellent saves) that cost us 3 points.

--Our defense is becoming much more solid but still makes stupid errors, like Cann passing it to Chicago just outside the box and Ecks running forward as part of 3 man line
    --Johnson's vision sucks and his main tactic seems to be face the goal and then run at people
    --Lambe great game, won't make me forget the other games where he was invisible
    --Frings is a midfielder, and should be played as such
    --De Guz what a beautiful ball to Johnson, however the Burgos Jr. seems to make amazing deliveries
    --Entertaining game and TFC is getting better
    --Avila has earned a lot more minutes in the last 2 games

Also in order to break the curse (of playing Team of the Week GKs) we need to sacrifice something.....................................perh aps our hope for a better tommorrow
    Last edited by Dkolish3; 04-21-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enough is enough. The team looks adequate moving forward, but it is also completely inept defensively, and Winter has not been able to make the necessary tactical adjustments despite a fairly talented roster at his disposal.

TFC will more than likely be road kill in Salt Lake City, and DeRo will probably tear us a new one in our back to back set against DC, so this despicable streak of futility is not going to improve any time soon.

Thomas Rongen has the credentials to step in as a capable replacement. If TFC has any hope of salvaging the season, the time to act is now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was initially on the fence about firing Winter thinking it would help little, but I think he's lost everyone at this point. Put Mariner in charge.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
    Winter is clueless and needs to go right now. Anyone who thinks that this squad coached by even Preki or Cummins wouldn't have had at least three points in six games has got to be a bit delusional about this league. ....
    Meh.......comparing coaches from different seasons and with different players in a league that changes so much year to year is a mugs game.

The biggest tactical mistake today was not playing Frings as DM.

But if you think any of those goals can be blamed on tactics, you're watching this game through a particular lens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    I don't think you can just absolve all the players of blame. Morgan was poor. Can't cross... can't pass... misjudges balls... I love his physicality and speed but he's very raw. Frings and Kocic made a massive blunder on the first goal (that had nothing to do with Winter).

I'm not a fan of the 3-at-the-back though. That needs to stop.
    Yes, Winter had nothing to do with the first goal. But again, that could and has happened to much bigger and better clubs.

Morgan probably had the worst match of all the players, Plata second worst. But neither was any poorer than you would see from one or two players on any MLS team during any match.

My point isn't that the team is perfect. My point is that the management is killing the chances of a team that, under a reasonable formation and tactical plan for the league, would have taken points today, and perhaps in some of the other matches, and would be either in a playoff spot at the moment or at least not as far away from one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigredone View Post
    What a lack of everything. Passion, unity, aiming at the net. Encouragement is important after missed opportunities. Except for Avila's spankin' of Frings' ass.
    You could tell he felt violated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Meh.......comparing coaches from different seasons and with different players in a league that changes so much year to year is a mugs game.

The biggest tactical mistake today was not playing Frings as DM.

But if you think any of those goals can be blamed on tactics, you're watching this game through a particular lens.
    This

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This all falls on the non off season fulfillment of picking up those CD's that we were promised. Frings is and will be wasted until they do it. This is just killing me. We have some great talent and should be a solid competitor in the league but because of shitty management we sit at the bottom of the barrel yet again.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shh everyone. We're just 6 points out of the payoffs.. never mind this worst start in history business... Have another $10 beer and keep buying!