Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rohan Ricketts

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    I coulda sworn he had a few hanger on's with him. Didn't he even have 2 of them on posting on this board?
    His cousin? Big Bruva does make an effort to promote for him and they're seen together often but I don't think that qualifies as such.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone has contact info for Rohan Ricketts please PM me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    His cousin? Big Bruva does make an effort to promote for him and they're seen together often but I don't think that qualifies as such.
    There was one other guy. If that isn't sufficient enough to quality as a posse, I apologize for my choice of words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed with a member of him coming back at a much lower salary, the time he spent here wasnt anything special but I think he is much better than Reggie Lambe.I believe with this team ricketts might actually perform better.Plus I hear he is a great character and a motivator. Maybee we need a guy like this right now! Who knows.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    what is he training for? fun?
    He's a few months late for that fan contest

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zeelaw View Post
    He's a few months late for that fan contest
    It's never to late for Rohan to have fun. He's always poppin'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Andy Welsh had Ricketts' ability at self-promotion people would still be thinking of Welsh fondly too.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    If Andy Welsh had Ricketts' ability at self-promotion people would still be thinking of Welsh fondly too.
    andy welsh didnt singlehandedly win two games for tfc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    andy welsh didnt singlehandedly win two games for tfc
    Wasn't it Welsh who scored the goal in the yr 1 home win over (then champion) Houston? Horrible weather, awesome time, if I remember corrctly. It's really my only recollection of Welsh doing anything, so I hope it was him!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cherono View Post
    Wasn't it Welsh who scored the goal in the yr 1 home win over (then champion) Houston? Horrible weather, awesome time, if I remember corrctly. It's really my only recollection of Welsh doing anything, so I hope it was him!
    Pretty sure it was actually. He scored early and then we survived an absolute barrage of Houston chances in the second half. Great night.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wren View Post
    Another ex-player getting 'love' from the TFC faithful.
    Are we supposed to despise everyone who no longer plays for TFC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    yes he was a shameless self promoter, but I think that's a cultural difference we modest and passive agressive Canadians don't understand. Maybe in his world, you just have to keep hustling no matter what. Figure that a fotballer only has 10 years of limited fame, so they better hustle their asses off to translate that fame into something that can keep paying them for the next chapter of their lives.

having said that, there's no place on the Team for him. If he loves the city, then he'll make a place for himself. Good luck to him.
    Wow Parky you look good, if your transformation to woman is complete, I would like to set you up on a date with my brother, you are looking like his type.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes he was a shameless self promoter, but I think that's a cultural difference we modest and passive agressive Canadians don't understand. Maybe in his world, you just have to keep hustling no matter what. Figure that a fotballer only has 10 years of limited fame, so they better hustle their asses off to translate that fame into something that can keep paying them for the next chapter of their lives.

having said that, there's no place on the Team for him. If he loves the city, then he'll make a place for himself. Good luck to him.
    For your first point on it being "a cultural difference we modest and passive agressive Canadians don't understand" I don't really agree with that. I have a cousin that works for Wolverhampton Wanderers and she told me prior to coming to TFC that Ricketts was considered a joke over in England. He was trying this self promotion crap, to a lessor degree though, over there and people were annoyed by it. When he was at Wolves he actually insisted on people calling him Tony Montana, as he thought of himself as a real pimp, but generally people just called him "Ince's Shadow" as he used to hide behind Paul Ince on and off the pitch.

In fairness, as people have said, he never did bash the city, or our team as others have that have left and I appreciate that. But if his talent matched his self promotional skills he wouldn't have kicked around from club to club since leaving here. As bad as we are at the moment, we have no room for him on this team.

Despite the annoying self promotion, he seems like an alright guy so all the best to him with his soccer camps.
    Last edited by bigredoneNEE; 04-20-2012 at 08:14 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think there's a cultural difference - just maybe not with all of England but with the world Rohan lives in.

We Canadians are world famous for our polite, yet passive aggressive mannerism. The idea of being a hustler (a designation Rohan would wear with pride) just doesn't sit well with our national identity. I know that not everyone in London is a hustler, and not every New Yorker is a pushy cutthroat - but Rohan seemed to love that part of it. We Canadians want our stars to act like Danny Dichio (get a house in the burbs, raise the kids, teach at soccer clubs and live the quiet Canadian Dream). We don't want them to bling it out and act like superstars (Hi Dero)

I've always said that if RR wasn't playing football, he'd be hustling DVDs and watches in the back of some market.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think there's a cultural difference - just maybe not with all of England but with the world Rohan lives in.

We Canadians are world famous for our polite, yet passive aggressive mannerism. The idea of being a hustler (a designation Rohan would wear with pride) just doesn't sit well with our national identity. I know that not everyone in London is a hustler, and not every New Yorker is a pushy cutthroat - but Rohan seemed to love that part of it. We Canadians want our stars to act like Danny Dichio (get a house in the burbs, raise the kids, teach at soccer clubs and live the quiet Canadian Dream). We don't want them to bling it out and act like superstars (Hi Dero)

I've always said that if RR wasn't playing football, he'd be hustling DVDs and watches in the back of some market.
    Hahaha! Yeah fair points. I understand what you mean.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I proudly proclaim myself a 'hustler'

IMO a hustler is someone who never really stops working, i am at the bank and I hand out cards, contractor to do repairs, let's do some trade.

A hustler is a hard worker, bling or not.

I think RR is an obvious media whore but GOOD FOR HIM! He has columns, an online mag, radio show, guest appearances and is working on an academy.

I don't see why that is a bad thing?

IMO 'hustler' is more an American thing than British.

On top of all that he offers value for his services, not like investment bankers who do nothing but circulate worthless paper.

Go RR!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And that's the main reason Canadian athletics is second rate, scorning athletes that display anytype of bravado/swagger.....Jon Montgomery, Dero, Donavon bailey.

These are the type of people that push elite-sport forward not Dichio.