View Poll Results: Keep Winter or Scrap Him?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep Him

212 75.71%
  • Scrap Him

68 24.29%
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I really don't think this is the difference maker. Few mls coaches are tactical geniuses, otherwise they would be coaching in Europe. You only have to be as smart as 50% of MLS coaches to make the playoffs, which having seen enough MLS matches, is a pretty low barrier. Most MLS coaches aren't that great, there are only a couple who deserve any special mention.

The key in any salary-capped league is the player-acquisitions. Management failed in that before the season ever started. TFC only needed a few pieces, especially in central defense to become a decent club. Currently I would give a "zero" rating on bringing in decent defenders.

A few pieces makes the difference between MLS champs and bottom feeders.
    Amazingly, every poster on this board IS a tactical genius...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sky View Post
    This gets my coffee spit-take laugh of the day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Well you do not have to be a tactical genius, to understand certain basics.

For example I was thinking about it just know. Winter, seemed to have used a 4-1-4-1 sorta/kind of, meaning 4 -1-2-3, with the wingers way back, to look like a 4-1-4-1, which on the surface is a good choice for a a team struggling at the back and to get points. BUT then when you look at the details, he plays Dunfield as the lone DM and in front of him a AM and Jonshon who is a SS/CF type player, and on the left flank another attacking player in Plata. So you chose a defensive formation but then you put in players who are not strong defenders. What is the point in that?

I want winter to succeed, but when I think of some of his decision they baffle me.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a hahaha

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't have to be a tactical genius to know 0-5 is bad.

Or 15 wins in 55 games is bad.

Or that as the 3rd highest payroll in the league, occupying last place in the standings is bad.

But if it requires me to get my coaching license to understand the above, sign me up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Roogsy, please get a coaching license or get a job as a sports writer/commentator , otherwise your opinions have no validity.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Don't get testy, guys, it was a pretty funny comment.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right... because he was the one on the pitch, missing open chances.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stouffville_RPB View Post
    The thing that I don't think people are understanding is that Winter already knows what we are all saying.

- Winter knows that JDG's contract is a burden for what he brings. As a manager what do you want him to do at the moment? He can't come out and say JDG is playing like shit and his contract is killing our cap. How does anyone know that Winter didn't go to MLSE and say JDG needs to get bought out and FO said no he has another year and he's playing it out. Aside from sitting JDG to send a message (which he did this weekend) what do you want a manager to do?

- Winter knows we need to be stronger at the back. Do people think they brought a player like Torsten Frings here to play sweeper? Obviously he's more influential in the midfield but at the moment Frings was most needed at the back. Perhaps they are looking to bring in a CB from overseas but because the start of the MLS season being in the middle of most seasons that wasn't possible.

Winter has done a good job with this team so far. He's built the most talented squad we've ever had and improved players who didn't look like they were at the MLS level. The last game of the 2010 season TFC fielded Maksim Usanov, Raivis Hscanovics, Nick Garcia, Mista, Jacob Peterson, Joseph Nane, and Gabe Gala. None would have a shot at making the squad now. Instead Eckersley, Koevermans, Frings, Soolsma, Johnson, Lambe have been added, Plata and Silva drafted. Harden has improved from the player he was then to be a serviceable one now. Morgan has continued to grow into a very solid player. Winter is bringing in better players and improving others.

Things don't happen overnight and people. Winter is getting the job done even if it isn't as quick as people would like.
    my problem isn't really with Winter. that's why i'd give him more time. it's the rest of the organization that's fucked. JDG is a frigging abatross. he has to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I kill everyone in the Toronto Sport and Social Club soccer league both technically AND tactically. Those girls never stand a chance. Don't impugn my tactical knowledge!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I kill everyone in the Toronto Sport and Social Club soccer league both technically AND tactically. Those girls never stand a chance. Don't impugn my tactical knowledge!
    I won the cup with TFC on FIFA 12, and haven't lost the league in over a decade of Football Manager/Championship Manger. Alright, sign me up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I won the cup with TFC on FIFA 12, and haven't lost the league in over a decade of Football Manager/Championship Manger. Alright, sign me up.
    I did the same, but I also won CCL in Football Manager. You may have some competition

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    This whole thread says more about this board than about our team. For the last half of last season and the CCL run at the beginning of this one, many of these people seemed to disappear. Now the team is on a bad run, and It's LIKE OLD HOME DAY AROUND HERE.

It seems like some people would rather the team lose under Winter for the sole purpose of maintaining their fragile, ultra-competitive egos. But let's look at a few facts here:

* As oldtimer noted, without one of their clutch players, LA is shit. Not TFC shit, but we've jot JDG (signed by MO, not the current guys) and not Donovan or Beckham.

* John Spencer is generally regarded as a talented coach and a big part of why Houston won two titles under Kinnear, and his Portland team has lost four in a row. Is he suddenly shit, too? His DP striker is scoring goals and they're still losing.

* Frank Yallop has been awful for four straight years in San Jose. This year, he has the pieces together. Was he shit then but isn't shit now? How does that work exactly?

* In three of the five losses we outchanced the other team. That has NEVER happened with any of our past crappy teams, all of which were crappier than this one, regardless of the record poor start.

Look, people need time to hang themselves. Mo got five years and was shit the whooooole time.

Is Winter's team shit? Looked pretty good against LA, and in the first Santos game. So, apparently not all the time.

For the first time, TFC isn't dreadful to watch. Lord, It's not good. But it's not dreadful. So having a system does have some payoff. We also have youth coming up and actually being used (although too much in Morgan's case).

Conflating this start into complete ineptitude is just argumentatively ignoring the facts. We're not as good as we should be, but we don't deserve to be 0-5, either. We've outchanced three of the five teams we've lost to.

We have serious issues. Our passing the other day clocked in at 69% and so we only had 43% of the ball, despite creating the better chances. Our centre midfield is very weak, especially without frings.

On the other hand, Cann looked good, commanding even. He made Aceval look a little better (although he still had four major gaffes, by my count, and shouldn't be starting.)

We may have an 0-5 start, but the facts don't suggest we have an 0-5 team, or a coach who deserves only 18 months to turn around Mo's five-year mess. He at least should get the season.
    I agree with most of this. Too many people love bitching and complaining on this board... it's an outlet for letting off steam from their unsatisfied lives I suppose, but man, it makes shitty and unreasonable reading.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would finish dead last this season and next before I considered firing him. i don't think people understand how bad the turnover we've had so far is for this club - an identity is worth so much more for the next decade than wins are.

almost any dynasty team (not championship, but dynasty) i can see in North American salary cap sports has the pick your guy/pick your core team/ignore the failures/ignore the criticism/eventually, you win things model. dynasties are smart and stubborn. and i'll take a guy who's hopefully a few years ahead of the MLS curve (playing a 'hard' formation for MLS teams) over one who's a few years behind any day - if i wanted 2007/2008 thinking, I'd want Nicol running a team with no DPs. and i don't want to watch that team. i'll be glad to take the risk that Winter will end up in a pile of accolades by 2014.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    ^ Well you do not have to be a tactical genius, to understand certain basics.

For example I was thinking about it just know. Winter, seemed to have used a 4-1-4-1 sorta/kind of, meaning 4 -1-2-3, with the wingers way back, to look like a 4-1-4-1, which on the surface is a good choice for a a team struggling at the back and to get points. BUT then when you look at the details, he plays Dunfield as the lone DM and in front of him a AM and Jonshon who is a SS/CF type player, and on the left flank another attacking player in Plata. So you chose a defensive formation but then you put in players who are not strong defenders. What is the point in that?

I want winter to succeed, but when I think of some of his decision they baffle me.
    This is pretty close to how I feel about Winter and Co. He seems pretty good at finding players that can play his system, their training methods seem to work, he seems to get his tactics right a lot of the time, but in the end he fields the strangest choice of players. It's not just playing Dunfield and Harden in pretty much every game, it's fielding Johnson as a central midfielder, or Silva - who seems to be more of a second striker (a position not in the 4-3-3) or winger than a midfielder - and benching the likes of Avila and Burgos, who from what I've seen and heard is a forwardly thinking midfielder who can pressure and defend just as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boy this is tough but I think the comments I have read for the most part are well thought out. I have been an SSH from the beginning so I have seen just about every game. There is no doubt in the last 9 months TFC is playing much more attractive football. We had great run in the Champions League under Winter. He got rid of a lot of the garbage on the team in the last 6 months. I agreed with the majority of his decisions. He had the guts to bench DeGuzman the 2 million oops! We have so many injuries down the Centre with Frings, Caan, and Decoy. He knows we have to build the academy and has brought some of the young kids into the team which is good. But I have my concerns, he does not seem to be able to evaluate back line talent. The players they have brought in at Centre back have all been huge duds. However, who is responsible for that? Is that Winter or is that Mariner? He can get a little stubborn on his tactics from time to time. Is he a good motivator? We always seem to start so slowly and play better after giving up a goal. He knows the attacking game but does he know the defensive game? I believe he deserves some more time but I was very worried about his comments after the game on Saturday. Bad luck? There is no bad or good luck. You make your own luck by being well trained and taking advantage of opportunities. TFC is not showing the quality in the last 20 yards to win games. Also despite the notion we want to play the possession game most times we are below our opponents on possession %. I believe he deserves some more time and we have to see where we are at the end of the season. Also its fine to say he should be fired but who are you going to get to replace him?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gallade View Post
    i would finish dead last this season and next before I considered firing him. i don't think people understand how bad the turnover we've had so far is for this club - an identity is worth so much more for the next decade than wins are.

almost any dynasty team (not championship, but dynasty) i can see in North American salary cap sports has the pick your guy/pick your core team/ignore the failures/ignore the criticism/eventually, you win things model. dynasties are smart and stubborn. and i'll take a guy who's hopefully a few years ahead of the MLS curve (playing a 'hard' formation for MLS teams) over one who's a few years behind any day - if i wanted 2007/2008 thinking, I'd want Nicol running a team with no DPs. and i don't want to watch that team. i'll be glad to take the risk that Winter will end up in a pile of accolades by 2014.
    Based on MLSE's track record, there is simply no way Winter finishes dead last in the league and survives past this season. He would be gone before SSH renewals if the results were leading TFC to a last place finish.

The one thing I would like to know from the people who are still behind Winter is why? What do you see in TFC's results and play that give you belief?

I can sort of understand the people who say he deserves more time. I just fail to see what exactly he (and Mariner) are building. This team has had a pretty bad off-season in terms of player personnel moves. I don't think that gets talked about enough. It appears that the moves that were needed to improve on the late season form from 2011 weren't made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If that's true, it's interesting that none of them are posting in this thread. Most of the posts are by people who hated Winter since he came, and just waited for an opportunity and a thread to pile on.
    They do not reflect most of the board IMO.

That's why people stay away from the board in times like this.

I'm in the process of forming an opinion, but I won't be expressing it until I see more of the season.

This.

Avoid it like the plague.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gallade View Post

You may be willing to finish dead last for the next two seasons my friend, thankfully I think you're in a minority of one which would also be the eventual attendance at BMO if that happened
    Last edited by Rene Kingsriver; 04-16-2012 at 08:41 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re Why keep him:

He Is a good tactician.
    4-3-3 can work in MLS
    Off season not gettin rid of JDG I would bet was NOT him. So he has 1/5-1/6 of cap tied up there + DP slot.
    He is molding 4-3-3 players out of the Academy that will know the system back and forth, watch Henry and Stinson this year.

He is the right man for the job, let him do it and prove you wrong.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If that's true, it's interesting that none of them are posting in this thread. Most of the posts are by people who hated Winter since he came, and just waited for an opportunity and a thread to pile on.
    They do not reflect most of the board IMO.

That's why people stay away from the board in times like this.

I'm in the process of forming an opinion, but I won't be expressing it until I see more of the season.
    I would agree with this also. Not much negativity directed his way after LA or the first Santos match. Seems as though picking ones spots are in vogue.

Sort of like all the DeRo updates we used to get on his goal scoring exploits. Now that he has 0 in 6, it's quiet. Until the next goal he scores of course. Timing is everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I would agree with this also. Not much negativity directed his way after LA or the first Santos match. Seems as though picking ones spots are in vogue.

Sort of like all the DeRo updates we used to get on his goal scoring exploits. Now that he has 0 in 6, it's quiet. Until the next goal he scores of course. Timing is everything.

Cue the hastily revised valuations of player worth based on non-goal-scoring variables and other intangible, non-quantifiable bits of misinformation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    This is pretty close to how I feel about Winter and Co. He seems pretty good at finding players that can play his system, their training methods seem to work, he seems to get his tactics right a lot of the time, but in the end he fields the strangest choice of players. It's not just playing Dunfield and Harden in pretty much every game, it's fielding Johnson as a central midfielder, or Silva - who seems to be more of a second striker (a position not in the 4-3-3) or winger than a midfielder - and benching the likes of Avila and Burgos, who from what I've seen and heard is a forwardly thinking midfielder who can pressure and defend just as well.
    You know what's interesting about Harden? I was looking at MLS chalkboards earlier for matches this year, and overall - he has a really high pass completion rate. Like in the high 70's to high 80's (I think in one match only his pass completion rate was bad) - but after seeing that, I understand now why Winter has been selecting him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He Is a good tactician.
    Is he really though? Repeating this ad nauseum doesn't make it true.

It often appears that he is being out-coached and out-prepared by other supposed lesser MLS coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    You know what's interesting about Harden? I was looking at MLS chalkboards earlier for matches this year, and overall - he has a really high pass completion rate. Like in the high 70's to high 80's (I think in one match only his pass completion rate was bad) - but after seeing that, I understand now why Winter has been selecting him.
    Aren't most of his passes to his CB partner or our DM? Low risk passes?
    Last edited by narduch; 04-16-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    Based on MLSE's track record, there is simply no way Winter finishes dead last in the league and survives past this season. He would be gone before SSH renewals if the results were leading TFC to a last place finish.

The one thing I would like to know from the people who are still behind Winter is why? What do you see in TFC's results and play that give you belief?

I can sort of understand the people who say he deserves more time. I just fail to see what exactly he (and Mariner) are building. This team has had a pretty bad off-season in terms of player personnel moves. I don't think that gets talked about enough. It appears that the moves that were needed to improve on the late season form from 2011 weren't made.
    not sure what track record you're thinking of. as of recently MLSE's had a record of giving managers several years too many after they've already proven to be incompetent (ex: JFJ, MoJo, Burke - who despite putting together a decent team, has proved incapable of hiring a capable coaching staff, yet his job isn't in any jeopardy)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    not sure what track record you're thinking of. as of recently MLSE's had a record of giving managers several years too many after they've already proven to be incompetent (ex: JFJ, MoJo, Burke - who despite putting together a decent team, has proved incapable of hiring a capable coaching staff, yet his job isn't in any jeopardy)
    The Leafs are a different story. The ACC isn't half empty like BMO Field is these days, despite whatever number TFC FO wants to pull out of its ass. TFC is going to have a major SSH renewal problem if this isn't turned around quickly.

The one thing that might save Winter's ass is the fact that the sale of MLSE to Rogers/Bell won't happen until at least September.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post

Aren't most of his passes to his CB partner or our DM? Low risk passes?
    Seems to be a mix:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/all/m...lsdGVycz0xLDI=

Actually - poking through the chalkboards - Harden seems to be backed by some pretty solid stats - with the exception of one key one. He seems to get tackled and lose possession quite frequently.

It does shed some light on why Winter keeps playing Harden though.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I blame Earl Cochrane. With him, we've accomplished absolutely nothing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keyman View Post
    I blame Earl Cochrane. With him, we've accomplished absolutely nothing.
    Its a testament to the mess that TFC FO is that he still has a job.

How he survived the De Ro debacle is mind boggling.

Must be tight with Anselmi and Beirne.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post

It really is a shame how provocative you are. You're that guy in the bar fight who takes a cheap shot from the blind side and then runs behind his friends. Nobody has said boo about DeRo in this thread and here you are bringing him up. A person really has to wonder who here really has the hard-on for DeRo.

If you want, there are plenty of DeRo fans up here that can totally start a DeRo exploits thread. Including highlights of the two assists he has this year with his team, one of which was off a bicycle kick. Who has the most assists in Toronto? Our DP striker? Our AM playmakers? Our wingers?

Nope...it's the scapegoat Aceval with 1...count'em ONE, assist on the year.

I am guessing you haven't watched any DC United games this year, because if you did, you would already know DeRo has been their most dangerous player and doing that which you accused him he wasn't able to do, which is set up plays and let others score leading his team to a decent but not impressive 2-2-2 start and a positive goal differential. He just keeps proving you wrong. It must get tired being wrong so often. But he can't win can he? If he scores? All you do is call him selfish. If he sets up plays? All you do is mention how he is not scoring. I am not sure what you expect from a player of his calibre but it seems to me he is delivering and the DC fans would agree.

As for Winter, I made my viewpoints known after every game. I gave Winter credit for things I felt he deserved credit for, including beating LA and drawing Santos at home. And I wasn't negative on him for losing to Santos away. But an 0-5 league start, with 2 goals scored in 5 games and a minus 8 goal differential and more importantly increasingly lower probabilities of making the playoffs does not qualify as good enough reason to put his feet to the fire and start criticizing him? What does he have to do? Kill someone? I am sure you'd rationalize that away as well. If it were DeRo coaching this team to this record though...you'd be asking for the chair.