Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Niagara Region. Anywhere the RPB are Supporting TFC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Should we start acquiring MLS players?

Just a thought, weve been signing a lot of foreign players and it's been kind of hit n miss (then again so has our MLS acquisitions) but why don't we spend some cash and get a MLS established CB, ST, an CM our 2 south American CBs we signed turned bust and went bal home and the other is really hit n miss on the pitch.

Why don't we go pick up a couple MLS vets just to help stabilize the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- Danny Califf (CB) from Philly - somewhat out of favour with Novak
    - Joel Lindpere (MF) from NYRB - definately out of favour with Backe
    - Dejan Jakovic (CB) from DCU - with recent injuries, won't be able to acquire him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    - Danny Califf (CB) from Philly - somewhat out of favour with Novak
    - Joel Lindpere (MF) from NYRB - definately out of favour with Backe
    - Dejan Jakovic (CB) from DCU - with recent injuries, won't be able to acquire him.
    out of the 3 i would be looking at lindpere.

Our next cb should be athletic, not just big.

we should looke for a cb from the brazilian serie B:

1.Domingos Nascimento dos Santos Filho
    2.Jorge Luiz
    3.Léo Fortunato

all 3 out of contract
    and would be in our price range and possess the technical ability we need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd3TFC View Post
    but why don't we spend some cash and get a MLS established CB, ST, an CM
    You mean like Tyrone Marshall, Nick Garcia, Ty Harden or Andy Iro at CB? Jeff Cunningham or Carlos Ruiz at ST? Did Nathan Sturgis or Nick Labrocca work out well for us at CM?

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd3TFC View Post
    Why don't we go pick up a couple MLS vets just to help stabilize the team.
    Because that approach has worked well for TFC in the past? Who and how? What will it cost us?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't get the hate on Marshall. he wasn't spectacular, but he was a very solid MLS CB
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BayernTFC View Post
    You mean like Tyrone Marshall, Nick Garcia, Ty Harden or Andy Iro at CB? Jeff Cunningham or Carlos Ruiz at ST? Did Nathan Sturgis or Nick Labrocca work out well for us at CM?
    Tyrone Marshall and Nick Labrocca are both better options than what we currently have. Cunningham scored 33 in 66 for Dallas. Sturgis...meh.

Again...our coaching seems to lack the ability to get the best of our players, then they leave and do much better elsewhere.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Sturgis...meh.
    just last week i was reading an article on MLS about how sturgis was a godsend for being able to play two positions. not having a hate on for sturgis or anything, but i don't feel he played either of those positions that well anyway, at least not as much as cochrane did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its odd, whenever good players get trade away, people start pretending they were crap.

We could do MUCH worse than Marshall or Labrocca.... and we have.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Labrocca who was an all-star last season?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chad Barrett should still be here.
    Nick LaBrocca should still be here.
    Todd Dunivant should still be here.
    Sam Cronin should still be here.
    Nathan Sturgis should still be here.
    Jacob Peterson should still be here.
    Marvell Wynne, so help me, should still be in this team.

Because if you're telling me you'd rather have Doneil Henry over Marvell Wynne, Matt Stinson over Nick LaBrocca, Oscar Cordon over Sam Cronin, Nick Lindsay over Jacob Peterson, Julian de Guzman (at 350k cap hit, 2 million overall!) over Nathan Sturgis, and Keith Makubuya over Chad Barrett, we have a problem.

The only player from this "pro-Canada" idea that has any value is Ashtone Morgan, right now. The other academy players are awesome, but they're not ready to be relied on just yet. It also stunts their development if they're thrown into the fire under that kind of pressure (a la Luis Silva).

Montreal has three Canadians.
    Vancouver has three Canadians.

Toronto FC only needs Ashtone Morgan, Terry Dunfield, and one of Matt Stinson or Doneil Henry. They shouldn't be automatic starters either, nor should they be on the bench every single game.

The rest of our players, yanks.
    Last edited by ArmenJBX; 04-30-2012 at 02:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Labrocca who was an all-star last season?
    While we're talking about MLS quality talent, and MLS (attacking) Midfielders that we've traded away.

Just saying.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Oh shit...it's a DeRo thread!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh shit...it's a DeRo thread!

My ears were burning...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    Ok lets not get too carried away here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because if you're telling me you'd rather have Doneil Henry over Marvell Wynne, Matt Stinson over Nick LaBrocca, Oscar Cordon over Sam Cronin, Nick Lindsay over Jacob Peterson, Julian de Guzman (at 350k cap hit, 2 million overall!) over Nathan Sturgis, and Keith Makubuya over Chad Barrett, we have a problem
    Except all of the players that you listed (minus JDG) don't count against our cap. And the players you wish we had (and outside of LaBrocca and Cronin aren't an improvement, also Cronin and Cordon play different positions) would cost the team $791,000 against our cap (based on last years numbers). And outside of JDG none of the players you listed on regular starters.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dollar for Dollars was not what I was going for.
    It's roster spots and priorities.

If you prioritize the development of Canadian youth for immediate impact in the first team, you compromise the fundamental building blocks of an MLS team - American players.

The $800k required of them can be easily acquired if we got rid of Julian de Guzman and certain players like Aceval, Harden, etc etc.
    However, the philosophy is the problem in my books. We choose to focus on our academy as a key building block, when in reality, it's those American players that are the true staple of this league.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chad: yes, depth forward
    Todd: no, just no.
    Sam: Meh. Always found him over-rated, even if with a good heart.
    Nathan: Come the fuck on. Definition of a talentless pylon. Harden-class.
    Jacob: I'll let that go just because it's you, but it's fucking Uncle Jake we're talking about
    Marvell: if we were running a track team, then yes, he's fast as a motherfucker. But this is a football club, so no.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Don't get the hate on Marshall. he wasn't spectacular, but he was a very solid MLS CB
    I don't hate Tyrone Marshall myself. TFC still had issues in central defense when he was here and he didn't go short of detractors either. TFC traded Edson Buddle to the Galaxy for him (a proven MLS CB). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not believe that he is currently starting for Colorado this season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't hate Tyrone Marshall myself. TFC still had issues in central defense when he was here and he didn't go short of detractors either. TFC traded Edson Buddle to the Galaxy for him (a proven MLS CB). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not believe that he is currently starting for Colorado this season.
    Marshall was good in Toronto, it's just that his partner was so shit. Marshall ended up starting many games for Seattle after Toronto, and provided good depth in Colorado, even at age 35.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    Ok lets not get too carried away here.
    Needless running and wasted effort are a beautiful thing you know.

I swear Chad Barrett is due to break out this year (repeat every year until he retires)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a hard time thinking of a CB better than Tyrone Marshall was. not sure what that says about us, but he certainly was solid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyrone Marshall and Nick Labrocca are both better options than what we currently have. Cunningham scored 33 in 66 for Dallas. Sturgis...meh.
    The list I posted are all examples of players that were MLS proven before they came to TFC. What did they do for us? Did they answer any of our problems? What did we give up to get them? I doubt a 37 year old Tyrone Marshall who is currently a back up in Colorado would be a solution to our problems now. We still have the same problems at the back that we did when he was here and he wasn't the solution then either. Labrocca was traded for Alan Gordon, who was packaged in the deal for Ryan Johnson. I know who I'd rather have. It's great that Labrocca has found success with Chivas, but TFC couldn't advance the ball with him in the middle of the pitch. I certainly wasn't saying that I wished we had Labrocca back after watching him play against us when Chivas was in Toronto a couple of weeks back.

Again...our coaching seems to lack the ability to get the best of our players, then they leave and do much better elsewhere.
    I certainly don't disagree that historically, TFC coaches have failed to get the most out of some players. Using players who lack fundamental skills in a 4-3-3 formation is asking for trouble. Weaknesses are quickly exposed and mistakes are plentiful. Do we really want to be arguing over who is the better spare part?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Marshall was good in Toronto, it's just that his partner was so shit. Marshall ended up starting many games for Seattle after Toronto, and provided good depth in Colorado, even at age 35.
    I won't bother contesting anything that you've said. If we had Marshall back right now, who would his partner be? How fast is Marshall nowadays?

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm not really arguing about it, just pointing out something I find interesting. I don't have the time, but I wonder if we looked at how many guys we've sent on their way to prosperity while also looking at who we've taken in who have been shitty here.

I mean, Guevara had some pretty darn good seasons here. Not MVP level like he used to be, but still more than acceptable. DeRo's scenario was similar. But I feel like we've had more guys come here and not do well who then move on and perform in other places. That, to me, points to a lack of understanding on the part of our management on what it takes to be successful in MLS. Buddle, Labrocca and Dunivant are the three who stand out the most. Sure, we got Gordon who turned into Johnson, who has been good for us, but he wasn't an MLS all-star. Hindsight is 20/20, no question, but eventually, when you look back and see a bad trend, then you have to ask why.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I won't bother contesting anything that you've said. If we had Marshall back right now, who would his partner be? How fast is Marshall nowadays?
    I'm not arguing for getting Marshall back in Toronto now. I am saying that Marshall wasn't shit during his time in Toronto

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Barret, Peterson and wynne were shit.

Everyone else was good.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wynne is better than any Centerback we have right now.
    Peterson hits a corner better than Plata and could be counted on to receive a cross.
    Barrett can get at least five goals a season which makes him better than our current back up forward, Mr....oh wait! We don't have one! We convert our leftwing, CAM Ryan Johnson into a striker because if DK and Johnson go down, better start Makubuya!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In any case, Barrett and Peterson shouldn't start but are better on the bench than anything else we have, unfortunately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strugis and Peterson? REALLY?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Strugis and Peterson? REALLY?
    Yes sir.

I'd rather Nathan Sturgis and Jacob Peterson than our current options for substitute defensive midfielder and substitute winger. If you're telling me Stinson and Makubuya are superior alternatives than I guess I respectfully disagree