Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    The protocol was around, but it was not used by most people, until what the early 90's. He commented that he has been on forums like this for 30 years. If he is my age or younger I find it hard to believe that he was using the internet at that time,
    I logged on to many bulletin boards in the mid-80's. Many of them were linked via FidoNet, and the chat on them looked remarkably similar to this forum and others like it.

I used an acoustic coupler working at 110 baud on a Acorn Atom, which used a motorala 6502 processor. I later built a floppy drive controller for it that allowed me to use Single Sided, Single Density 5.25" floppies to store 180K of programs or data.

It was not the first computer I ever loved. That distinction fell to an IBM 1130 that belonged to the Halton Board of Education in 1973.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was easy to play the game from the stands yesterday. Obvious passes that went to the wrong player and why go into traffic when you can flick off to an open man for a cross into the box. Again, easy from the stands. It absolutely hurt to see the game just drift away from us. No response after the goal until very late in the match. Too late. We (believe it or not) missed Soolsma. I believe Avila deserved a start and was encouraged by Cann once he got over the early jitters of just flailing at the ball to get it out. Dunfield just seemed out of place. Not sure we have a spot where we can utilize him properly.

The hard part is staying encouraged about supporting the team. Our team. Frustration is a sign of caring. It does matter to us because we want to see success for the team we care about.

So let's give it a go again next week and cheer the lads on, rip into the opposition every chance we get.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Furtado91 View Post
    if it works that way, why don't we all get together and buy a few shares. That way we can make an impact on the team(hopefully). just a thought.
    If people as customers aren't willing to take action, becoming miniscule shareholders is even less effective.

And I don't understand this focus on ownership. They're not the ones running this team on a day to day basis. That's where attention should be paid.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 04-15-2012 at 09:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SBI - "Food4Thought: 6-0 Sporting KC=6 USA-born starters, 8 college product starters. 0-5 Toronto FC=1 USA-born starter, 3 college product starters"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I was going to comment on that. 30 years ago, I was in grade 7 in the computer lab using an Apple desktop. I do not remember anything resembling the interwebs.
    And yet Google Groups search engine goes back to May 1981. University of Toronto staff/students were very active back then. Perhaps Henry Spencer rather than Al Gore. Of course there were many localized BBSs and computer systems back then that had a lot of chatter that resembles what we have now - though little is archived. I remember the first spoiler I got over a network, was about the death of Spock in Star Trek II before it opened ... so that was 30 years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This:

Onto next week!

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What more can I say that I haven't said already? I feel bad for the cheerleaders. It can hurt bad when the reality sets in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wren View Post
    All the talk about ho horrible MLSE is to everyone who has ever come into contact with them (or 3 players who wanted their contracts renegotiated) means nothing. There are players who want to be here (Eckersley) and they're the ones shitting the bed on a regular basis. Winter needs to get more out of the squad he's assembled. MLSE has given the keys to Winter, and he's driving. It's up to Winter to steer us in the right direction. Anyone critical of the support should be happy there's anyone there, nevermind singing and dancing.
    Was Winter really "given the keys?" He was recommended by a consultant and then backed up by an ex-New England assistant. The consultant talked about a "culture change" and some very long-range plans but Winter was only given a three year contract.

The problem with this team is it's still a major question of who actually has the keys? Who makes the decisions about DP signings? Who makes the decisions about MLS trades? Who makes the decisions about style of play? Winter was brought in to implement the consultant's plan, can you really call that being given the keys?

This team has no leadership in management because it was structured to not have any. Who, exactly, is putting their stamp on this team?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The slagging of MLSE is getting tired now.

Look what they have done with the Leafs in the last 4 years.

Brought in the GM everyone craved, spent as much or more money on players as anyone else.

I am beginning to think the whole city is just cursed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Start playing the ball on the ground rather than predictably crossing it every time. It's pretty clear that we don't have the personnel to do this. Really, the only time it has worked was when we played LA (Frings to Silva, Soolsma to Johnson, and Johnson to Soolsma) compared to once (Lambe to Koevermans) in MLS.

I think our worst stat right now is 2 goals in 5 games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sidvan View Post
    SBI - "Food4Thought: 6-0 Sporting KC=6 USA-born starters, 8 college product starters. 0-5 Toronto FC=1 USA-born starter, 3 college product starters"
    Yeah, that is interesting. Well, RSL is trying to build a team to compete in MLS, they hired a former player to be their coach and it's his team. TFC hired a consultant and now it's no one's team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we assume Mariner will be making some deals/signings in the next couple months?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Couchy81 View Post
    Can we assume Mariner will be making some deals/signings in the next couple months?
    If he's around.

Whatever moves TFC makes at this point will smell of desperation. And how well have those worked out for us?

#Mista

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What, like Reggie Lambe?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First game of the season that saw me away from the stands due to a family function and it seems it was a good game to miss.

It's time to accept the fact that we lack talent on this squad. I'm sick and tired of excuses. At 0-5, there are no excuses. This BS about not having luck, are we having goals called back? Is the opposition scoring their goals on offsides? No. We've mainly been beating ourselves.

The only turnaround I see for this team in its present state is the return of Frings. If he returns against Chicago next week, his presence alone may prove to be the difference. Maybe his return will light a spark under some players asses. Given our situation, one can only hope.

Banner idea for Saturday:

No More
    . Losing .

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sidvan View Post
    We've talked quite a bit on Winter's lack of knowledge and ability to work with North American players. Many dismissed it, but the evidence is mounting that this shortcoming is by far his biggest undoing.

It's easy to work with talented up-and-coming stars. It's getting the most out of grinders and less talented players that's the key in MLS and we go off and hire someone with zero experience with that, and then dismiss this shortcoming with excuses.

It's ignoring the evidence right in our face. Winter has good qualities, but they are completely undone with his failings.

We've hired the wrong guy. And we refuse to acknowledge it. We have not learned from the Mo experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roogsy you know that I have been saying the same thing on Winter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    We've hired the wrong guy. And we refuse to acknowledge it. We have not learned from the Mo experience.
    Sometimes I feel like this team hired a marketing strategy instead of a proper coach. A lot of fans eat up the 'total football'/exciting soccer/build through the academy method TFC is supposedly building.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    What, like Reggie Lambe?
    A lambe to the slaughter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wren View Post
    MLSE has given the keys to Winter, and he's driving.
    No. This is what they gave him: a co-driver (or what is he anyway?) in Mariner, and made him keep Cochrane. Plus Beirne (who was historically involved in soccer ops matters) remains in the FO.

Winter is clearly manager: making on-field decisions. My own opinion is that he makes the cuts, but doesn't "own" the player acquisition piece at all (or hasn't since last summer, the last guy to come in with his fingerprints on him was Koevermans).
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    What more can I say that I haven't said already? I feel bad for the cheerleaders. It can hurt bad when the reality sets in.
    How is this post helpful to others? Calling others cheerleaders is insulting. You haven't provided any insight. All you are doing is saying "I told you so."

I was right too, but I didn't see the need to insult others for being hopeful.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 04-15-2012 at 10:46 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOMIN8R View Post
    So many posts. So few about the game.

Chivas defense showed up yesterday and their team looked well organized. Our D looked pretty good too. Nice to see, for a change.

It's frustrating to see so many small mistakes by Ecks, Plata, Terry, Lambe, etc. In the end, Chivas played better and deserved the win.
    I posted this in about the 25th minute in the game thread

Same as every other game. A couple of promising moves, no finish. Opponent biding their time, waiting for the breakdown. Somebody needs to step up and change the script, or we will go down again.

Last edited by ensco; 04-15-2012 at 10:46 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=jaxul;1473397]This:

I wish winter would respond like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    We've talked quite a bit on Winter's lack of knowledge and ability to work with North American players. Many dismissed it, but the evidence is mounting that this shortcoming is by far his biggest undoing.

It's easy to work with talented up-and-coming stars. It's getting the most out of grinders and less talented players that's the key in MLS and we go off and hire someone with zero experience with that, and then dismiss this shortcoming with excuses.

It's ignoring the evidence right in our face. Winter has good qualities, but they are completely undone with his failings.

It looks like we learned the wrong lesson from the Mo experience. Mo could maybe have been an okay MLS coach, but he was hired to build an entire franchise from scratch (I still say they demanded far more experience for the manager of the Real Sports bar than for TFC). There was no one hired with any experience building an expansion franchise.

And TFC still fail to hire properly at the senior management level. For all we know Winter is a great coach, but he's not running the show.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is as simple as realizing that the talent is not there. Strikers that cannot finish, mids making passes that look like skipping stones on a lake, etc. The first step is acceptance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that I've calmed down a bit, a question for those with more tactical knowledge than I have (which is probably all of you). How is it that it always seems like opponents find all this open space to dribble into in our end, or at the very least dribble into 1 on 1 situations vs our defense, while we're always dribbling into 2-3 players and never have space? Are we allowing the opponents the space to operate on defense? or executing poorly in the transition to attack? or just making poor decisions/reacting too slow on both offense and defense?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    This is not true. Winter was unemployed when he was hired by TFC. He was fired the previous season.. So he was out of work for about 8 months.

Its pretty hard to believe that TFC could have poached a youth coach from Ajax in the middle of the season. And of course that isn't what happened.
    pretty sure he wasnt fired either, think his contract ended and he left on his own accord

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Impossible to know how/why Winter came to be available. Even if he was fired, so what?

The funny thing is, for all this Ajax model veneration, the FO/governance at Ajax has been an epic disaster for years.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-15-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when you have a player of DP status on your bench...you know there is issues.....

Let be honest....JDG and Kovermans are holding down two important statuses ....(DP).....honestly if your going to have 3 DP's 2 0f TFC 3 spots are not worthy of this role!....As much as i like these 2 guys....having them on your team is one thing..but if its going to cost you a 2 DP spots....we should be looking elsewhere! We have non DP players that are better then our DP's! thats a problem in itself!

CB- DP CM- FRINGS ST- DP
    Last edited by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB; 04-15-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
    Start playing the ball on the ground rather than predictably crossing it every time. It's pretty clear that we don't have the personnel to do this. Really, the only time it has worked was when we played LA (Frings to Silva, Soolsma to Johnson, and Johnson to Soolsma) compared to once (Lambe to Koevermans) in MLS.

I think our worst stat right now is 2 goals in 5 games.
    I really noticed this watching the game on TV, Chivas kept the ball on the ground way more than we did. For all the talk of a possession based system, I didn't see much evidence yesterday.