Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

was at that game in 04 (?) too Giles. great seeing them take the pitch. almost as much fun as sitting behind the united bench vs celtic. can still see the look on their faces.....

speaking of pitch. hope it's not that plastic crap we played LA on. that was terrible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer...-rogers-centre

Tickets for the game will go on sale soon, with TFC season-seat holders and supporters being offered them at a special, discounted price.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like SSH are in line for $15 loyalty discount!

Good job by MLSE/TFC FO here. Nice to see the MLS regular season isn't a priority but making money on mid-season friendlies is.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    Looks like SSH are in line for $15 loyalty discount!

Good job by MLSE/TFC FO here. Nice to see the MLS regular season isn't a priority but making money on mid-season friendlies is.
    Where'd you get this info?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, way Liverpool. Probably one of the few reasons I would drop a little more coin after splurging on seasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post
    Hope they put 9 past TFC
    one every 10 mins.

For me, this is a HUGE occasion. I was there when LFC played skydoem v Roma.
    I still talk abotu it with my dad with fondness. . it was AWESOME.
    Thinkn abotu when bolton, or the hammers or Villa or Real came.
    its a BIG moment for people when the team they have followed all their lives comes to play. .
    I woudl trade every TFC game for 5 seasons for one freindly with LIVERPOOL in toronto.
    cash grab or not. it doesnt matter, its a chance to showcase our city, . .
    its not like Toronto are tearing the league apart ./ . .
    Im over the fucking MOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    if they wanted to showcase the city, they would make the game more affordable for the supporters.
    If it was about showcasing the city, they would play the friendly in the PRE-SEASON

but, its not

its not about the fans
    its not about showcasing the city
    and its not about anything BUT making $$$$$

plain and simple

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    Where'd you get this info?
    Sorry to confuse you.

I'm recalling the Real Madrid friendly 'loyalty' discount.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    if they wanted to showcase the city, they would make the game more affordable for the supporters.
    If it was about showcasing the city, they would play the friendly in the PRE-SEASON

but, its not

its not about the fans

plain and simple
    QFT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but, its not

its not about the fans

plain and simple
    To be fair your not going to play any EU team in March, April with their respective leagues still running. I agree with the points you raise too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but, its not

its not about the fans

plain and simple
    this is a pre-season friendly for LFC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is about making money for both clubs. welcome to the wonderful world of football. either enjoy it or get pissed off. your choice.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Only! When the MLSE group is in the cornfield, will Toronto field a competative/winning, professional sports team.
    KD.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

was there this much lip flapping (lower) when we played RM? I don't think so.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if ManU, Juve, Inter or Barca showed up there'd be a huge line up. this is all subjective bullshit.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not that any sorry fuck here gives a shit but I will not be attending the impending TFC/LFC match @ the Toronto venue come July, 21.
    I choose to support my club with fellow supporters at a venue that chooses to support it's supporters in a more respectful/timely manner.
    Haven't given MLSE any Yen
    since 2010!
    KD.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry should have add my favourite italian team too.... AC!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Fuck! I like it when Marky gets ornary!
    KD.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KD! we'll be in the supporters section in the dome. and you know who I mean MoFo!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all these bs comments about bring what cups we've won or will be bringing. FO! we'll be bringing one of the biggest teams in the EPL. 18 leagues, 5 European Cups! That's what we call HISTORY!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

These fucking twats here are just chirpping for the most part I think.
    I don't like friendlies and find there is way too much footy to capitalize on fucks like us.
    Just so happens Toronto FC is shit.
    Can't choose a better word.
    So LFC decide to do a tour of America and the market for a big club that wins is right here in Toronto so they make a stop.
    No big deal.
    The big deal is that the owners of Toronto FC don't know how to run a competative/professional sports franchise.
    They do a great job with pension funds and real estate.
    That is where the $$$ is.
    Oh, and the $20 beers!
    KD.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ahh. I'm out
    Let the 'treehouse' continue.
    KD.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

at the end of the day mid season friendlies are shit for us.
    but, and it's a big but! if we (here in T.O.) want to see some of the best that are playing the game, we have to watch LFC and RM on pre-season tours. they are the big fish and we aren't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Belfast_Boy View Post
    at the end of the day mid season friendlies are shit for us.
    but, and it's a big but! if we (here in T.O.) want to see some of the best that are playing the game, we have to watch LFC and RM on pre-season tours. they are the big fish and we aren't.
    What makes you think Liverpool will field even a mediocre side for a friendly in July played on artificial turf designed for the CFL? Every friendly the same thing happens. The quality of play is affected by the turf, and the only stars that show up play their contractually obligated time before retreating. And I can't imagine Winter would risk Koevs or Frings or anyone with any sort of knock in a midseason friendly on that shit either. I have nothing against Liverpool, I'd sooner go see them than any of the other friendlies we've had. The issue is instead of focusing on the season/ccl, maybe taking advantage of a bonus little break to heal injuries, rest up, do some training, acclimatize any new players we picked up in the window, they're focused on grabbing cash. If a single TFC player picks up a knock and their absense costs us even a point in the standings, given our team, that could be the difference between making the playoffs or not. That's what they're gambling, to charge $60 a ticket to see a half stocked Liverpool team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So according to The Star, it's a SkyDome-sponsored event which presumably means the teams are paid an appearance fee for what will probably amount to a glorified practice.
    I'm willing to bet/hoping TFC knows it would be foolish to risk any of the players we will need for league/CCL aspirations (as would Liverpool) in anything more than an exhibition with unlimited subs.
    It does give TFC a chance to put some of our starters and academy players up against some good strong competition.
    On injury concerns...well Frei broke his leg in practice so injuries can happen anywhere.
    And LFC will NOT play on plastic so the Dome will have to shell out for the lawn as it's their event!
    As long as focus is kept where it matters and risks are mitigated, I'm not completely opposed to this.
    Also not sure I'm completely willing to shell out big bucks to watch it either...although I probably will.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

popping in here to say yes. absolutely, there was this much lip flapping when we played RM. do a quick search of our forums and you'll see.

these mid season friendlies whereupon tfc gets destroyed by a european soccer powerhouse is so unnecessary. Can you imagine the backlash if LFC played a meaningless midseason friendly? the backlash from the supporters would be massive, especially if say a champions league spot was in play.
    Last edited by Pinkie; 04-19-2012 at 07:46 AM.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least this much if not more. It was similar, moved league game (this may have been moved by the oposition though) and expensive ticket above and beyond regular seasons for a meaningless game.

I don't have any issue with the Liverpool supporters being happy and seeing their team live, its a real treat for them. As well, its an honour to be able to play them as a club. But I personally have a problem with the timing of the game and its potiential impact on our regular season. Hopefully its the academy side that takes the pitch and TFC give the starters the rest they need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    Can you imagine the backlash if LFC played a meaningless midseason friendly? the backlash from the supporters would be massive, especially if say a champions league spot was in play.
    Liverpool just played a midseason friendly against Rangers.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    At least this much if not more. It was similar, moved league game (this may have been moved by the oposition though) and expensive ticket above and beyond regular seasons for a meaningless game.

I don't have any issue with the Liverpool supporters being happy and seeing their team live, its a real treat for them. As well, its an honour to be able to play them as a club. But I personally have a problem with the timing of the game and its potiential impact on our regular season. Hopefully its the academy side that takes the pitch and TFC give the starters the rest they need.
    This.

And you're right about the noise made about the RM game...and it was even worse after the pricing was announced. Can you say price gouge?

Listen...if TFC had the performance of an LA Galaxy or a Real Salt Lake, had few injury worries and wasn't too concerned about making the playoffs this year, I wouldn't care. Heck bring in two huge clubs, make lots of money, have great PR and everyone walks away happy.

But that's not the case it it? This is our 6th season in the league and not a wiff of playoffs, we've started the league with a record so poor that it has reduced our playoff chances to an incredibly low likelihood and we have several injury concerns. That's why this is a bad idea, and I am not saying this because I am not a Liverpool fan. If it were Barcelona, I would feel the same way.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 04-19-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    To be fair your not going to play any EU team in March, April with their respective leagues still running. I agree with the points you raise too.
    This is the point. Makes MLS look mickey mouse rearranging our schedules in the middle of a season so a Euro team can practice with us. MLS should be built on its own merit, not like this.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dropped £140 a ticket to see LFC at the emirates
    to see them in my back yard for $65?
    petty cash.
    No one says you have to go to a friendly. .
    I would prefer it was another team. .as to not disrupt the TFC season but. . .
    it is what it is. . .
    I GOT WOOD!
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.