Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ticketmaster seem to make these mistakes alot. I have seen it several times and is always fixed before any tickets actually go onsale. I am sure it will change or disappear from their site. Price is way too high for me though but I guess it would be different if it was one of the teams I follow since it is cheaper than a flight to England. MLSE should really be taking these types of opportunities to get some loyalty back from the fans. BMO Field is emptier and emptier all the time, they now offer 3 game packs which shows ticket sales are slow, lots of people like me on the fence with whether to renew next year with so many pairs easily available for deep discounts and no perks to being a season ticket holder.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    On the bright side - the lack of presale information for STH - or even a presale shown on the Ticketmaster website, might mean that STH don't actually have to buy tickets. I think we are all assuming it's just a big cock-up ... but perhaps it's simply that we are being given tickets.
    This is getting dodgy. They don't know they are selling the tix, they barely market this match....

I'm with ensco on this. If they come out and say they have this wonderful free opportunity for us STH's ala the MLS cup...

Let's just say I WILL be attending and there will be a message that day. (Non -violent of course)
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    I really want to hear Paul B's explanation for this. Other than a blatant cash grab I can't think of a SINGLE benefit to either Toronto FC, soccer fans in this city or anyones impressions of the intentions MLSE has as owners of Toronto FC.
    exactly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    If they come out and say they have this wonderful free opportunity for us STH's ala the MLS cup.
    MLS cup wasn't free; it was factored into the seasaon ticket price. For some new STH the 2011 invoice even showed two separate prices (one for MLS cup, and one for the rest of the season that was identical to the 2012 invoice price). Ditto the Bolton game was factored into the 2010 price. The 2012 price is simply based on 19 games (17 MLS + 2 Voyageurs Cup).

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Even if the tickets are free, would you attend?

I'm of two minds, 1) just not go or 2) join FYR in making the message heard...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't watch TFC friendlies. I haven't been to one since Real Madrid, and I only did that so I could wear my Barcelona jersey and rag on the Madrid players all game long.

I am not a Liverpool fan so that side does not interest me, and I am not interested in seeing either a) TFC trot out their first team and risk getting injured and screw up their season even more or b) trot out the kids to get pummelled by Liverpool's B team.

And I doubt tickets will be free.

Hopefully, this is not a complete bust though. Soccer in this town suffers too much criticism for an event like this to be allowed to fail and then have the Bob McClowns of the world tell us "I told you so".

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    I really want to hear Paul B's explanation for this. Other than a blatant cash grab I can't think of a SINGLE benefit to either Toronto FC, soccer fans in this city or anyones impressions of the intentions MLSE has as owners of Toronto FC. To me this says "Cash in while the gettings good". Maximize profit, fuck what it does to our season, or what our real fans think of us. There's money to be made off Eurosnobs!
    I think you just answered your own question there.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    Even if the tickets are free, would you attend?
    Most certainly. And I'd probably pay up to $40 or so. More if I was a Liverpool fan.

For someone who doesn't care about attending, you seem to care a lot!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Hopefully, this is not a complete bust though. Soccer in this town suffers too much criticism for an event like this to be allowed to fail and then have the Bob McClowns of the world tell us "I told you so".
    Stephen Brunt needs to punch McClown in the mouth if he tries to.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I just can't see SSH not getting at least something thrown their way - that would be about the stupidest thing the FO could do (if they chose not to)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS cup wasn't free; it was factored into the seasaon ticket price. For some new STH the 2011 invoice even showed two separate prices (one for MLS cup, and one for the rest of the season that was identical to the 2012 invoice price). Ditto the Bolton game was factored into the 2010 price. The 2012 price is simply based on 19 games (17 MLS + 2 Voyageurs Cup).

Crisis Averted

Sorry People. The TBD "free" (I realize it's not ACTUALLY free nfitz it's just how they'd market it to us, that's all) match is the CCL game.

This game will definately not be free and forced upon us.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Most certainly. And I'd probably pay up to $40 or so. More if I was a Liverpool fan.

For someone who doesn't care about attending, you seem to care a lot!
    LOL

You misinterpret my commentary for caring.

Roogsy nailed it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The logic behind these games is puzzling to me. While I personally like the idea of a friendly (even if its just to watch the reserves from both sides), these games have never done well at the Dome. I imagine they'd be able to fill BMO for this game, (wasn't the Ronaldo game sold out a couple years ago?), so why do they keep throwing these in a stadium that will likely be half-full, and provide no type of gameday atmosphere for the casual fans? MLSE still has to build the profile of TFC in this city. The Liverpool brand still carries alot of weight, so people will take a look at this game. Sadly, I think the fact that its at the Dome, combined with the prices, will cause them to pass on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No thanks. I'll find something else to do that night.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    The logic behind these games is puzzling to me. While I personally like the idea of a friendly (even if its just to watch the reserves from both sides), these games have never done well at the Dome. I imagine they'd be able to fill BMO for this game, (wasn't the Ronaldo game sold out a couple years ago?), so why do they keep throwing these in a stadium that will likely be half-full, and provide no type of gameday atmosphere for the casual fans? MLSE still has to build the profile of TFC in this city. The Liverpool brand still carries alot of weight, so people will take a look at this game. Sadly, I think the fact that its at the Dome, combined with the prices, will cause them to pass on it.
    Liverpool is a big club, which means to bring them here comes at a hefty price tag. In order to cover the cost (and make some money) you need to increase the economies of scale. While 20,000 fans at BMO Field at an average price of $100 can happen, 40,000 fans at the Skydome at an average price of $60 or 65 might be more profitable, especially if you factor in concessions.

That's assuming they can get those numbers. They don't care about the atmosphere, but they will care if they can't fill the Dome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can't expect a club with 3 DP's, building expensive academy facilities, to turn down lucrative revenue opportunities that are used by other clubs with no such commitments.

That said, I will not be going unless it's free. I paid to see Real Madrid, but let's be honest... Andy Carroll and Stewart Downing aren't exactly Critiano Ronaldo and Kaka.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    I actually like the idea of having these friendlies at the Dome to give it a separate, different atmosphere to a match that is very different than league play. People are there for different reasons usually so to make the atmosphere different seems natural to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I support Liverpool as well as TFC, but have no interest in seeing their youngsters play in the Dome against a TFC reserve team. I paid for the Real Madrid game, as it was a great experience to see that squad of players up close in OUR stadium. To run out two substandard teams in the cavernous SkyDome (I saw 'Pool play Porto there a few yrs ago and it was pretty dismal from an atmosphere point of view) - especially at the expense of one of the few mid-summer saturday league matches we had - well, just kinda sucks.
    That said, I'd go if it's free for ssh though I obviously won't hold my breath!

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not a big fan of friendlies. This game is not well timed (they never are though) and the risk of injury for a meaningless game is just too much to accept for me. Liverpool are a great club and it is amazing to have them here but I would much prefer seeing another EPL team play them at the dome, that I would pay for.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    No thanks. I'll find something else to do that night.

Make popcorn?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I purchased 8 tickets to the CCL game...I will be purchasing 0 for this game. If the front office is expecting a big turnout like they got in March they're in for a big surprise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post

Do you think the last five years have had an impact? I think you're right, soccer in this town suffers too much criticism and now something like this has far too little upside to make it worthwhile. It's just another example that the people making decisions about soccer here have no idea what they have (or could have if they handled it correctly).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    I think you just answered your own question there.
    haha should've said I want to hear MLSE's propaganda arm's spin on how this is great for local football, Toronto FC and us!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I actually like the idea of having these friendlies at the Dome to give it a separate, different atmosphere to a match that is very different than league play. People are there for different reasons usually so to make the atmosphere different seems natural to me.
    That's a good point - the main problem with the Rogers Centre is the turf, not just turf, TERRIBLE TURF, in cubes with hundreds of seams, laid on concrete with a thin rubber padding...

If we were playing in a large, natural grass stadium - my fear of injury would be cut in half if not more... But the playing surface at the Rogers Centre is an embarrassment and footy should not be played on it...

This is coming from a Toronto FC / Liverpool FC supporter who would love to see them compete against each other - but on that terrible surface, its bitter sweet at best...

I loved the CCL night at the Rogers Centre - it was MAGIC. But when I watched the match back on my PVR, I realized that footy should never take place on what they call a playing surface... Even brand new turf, its still in cubes with hundreds of seams - its not suited for footy...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The main point here is being missed.

Toronto FC moved a MLS regular season game, for a cash grabbing friendly. But what is WORSE is they have moved that MLS game to September 12th which is during World Cup Qualifying. TFC have the potential to be missing Ashtone Morgan, Julian de Guzman, Terry Dunfield, Ryan Johnson, and maybe even more players in a game that could be an important 3 points.

Not only are we missing players for the an important game against an Eastern Conference opponent (Chicago Fire) on Septemeber 12th, but the schedule also hae our players playing on September 15th at home to Philadelphia, where our other starters could have had a 2 week break, they will now have some tired legs while the Union players will be coming into town rested? Those 6 points are very important as they could be against 2 Eastern Conference opponents that we are battling for a playoff spot with and we put ourselves at a disadvantage all for a midseason friendly against Liverpool?

I cannot understand that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if Toronto FC really need an extra revenue game, maybe they should focus on making the playoffs and hosting a playoff game so they can enjoy the extra revenue that would come with a playoff game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post

Toronto FC moved a MLS regular season game, for a cash grabbing friendly. But what is WORSE is they have moved that MLS game to September 12th which is during World Cup Qualifying. TFC have the potential to be missing Ashtone Morgan, Julian de Guzman, Terry Dunfield, Ryan Johnson, and maybe even more players in a game that could be an important 3 points.

Not only are we missing players for the an important game against an Eastern Conference opponent (Chicago Fire) on Septemeber 12th, but the schedule also hae our players playing on September 15th at home to Philadelphia, where our other starters could have had a 2 week break, they will now have some tired legs while the Union players will be coming into town rested? Those 6 points are very important as they could be against 2 Eastern Conference opponents that we are battling for a playoff spot with and we put ourselves at a disadvantage all for a midseason friendly against Liverpool?

I admit, I completely missed that point. That sucks.

Hopefully we'll have qualifying in the bag by then so we can hols the players back! (cough, cough)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$59 - $159??? Out of my cold dead hands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't confirm this, but I believe the TFC v Fire fixture was moved on request to accomodate a Chicago friendly. That opened a date for TFC to book Liverpool, who was interested in coming to Toronto. We can blame MLSE for booking an ill-advised friendly but I don't think we can blame them for initiating the schedule change.

Personally, my rage reserves are running low, finding hard to give a fuck about this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post

Too bad this club isn't run by people who look at the success of the team in terms of league placement, but get caught in the lights of a glamour opponent and $$$s at the detriment of team performance.
    I have no problem with MLSE turning a profit on TFC but when it is done at the expense of jeopardising already fragile playoff hopes it leaves me shaking my head.