Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    i don't dislike friendlies
    i dislike mid-season friendlies.

I have no problem playing Liverpool in February at the SkyDome, but I do have a problem with moving a MLS game to during the middle of an international break to play a pointless friendly.

I can only wonder what the outrage would be like in Liverpool if an EPL game got moved to during an international break so they could play a friendly in which the fans were charged a lot more than what they actually play.

as for international friendlies, it is a somewhat valid point, but the difference is the teams need to play them to get team chemistry and cohesion (so they act much like a preseason friendly for the national team). Ultimately I'd like to see all the leagues in the world play their games on the same 8 month cycle or something, then give all the national teams a 45 to 60 day window to play friendlies, WCQ games, and tournaments. Hate how the international breaks are all over the place and teams can get handicapped by internatioanl injuries.
    Blatter roll over, Let Prizby take over!
    get the season fixed up
    and we might win a cup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Belfast_Boy View Post
    I have a question. does this dislike of friendlies extend to international friendlies? where TFC players can also get hurt. not so much now but in the past when we may have had a good player get hurt.
    yes and no. People want there National team to do well, and they barely play together so they know they need friendlies to get use to playing together. Now if the Club had a very big match coming up and a player goes to a friendly for a national club then maybe the fans will be mad (i can't think of the last time this has happened tho, so very rare). But clubs play friendlies during the training camp getting ready for the season, Practice all the time during the season and then play many league matches, cup matches, exc exc, so they have plenty of options to get use playing together without adding meaningless games in the middle of important season (which happens all the time in MLS). Only fans for the most part that might be happy for the friendlies is when TFC would play there other favourite club (Liverpool, Aston Villa, River Plate, Real Madrid or whoever it might).
    Last edited by james; 05-24-2012 at 08:16 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone heard anything about the Liverpool training session that was supposed to come with tickets in the supporter's end?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jpopick View Post
    Has anyone heard anything about the Liverpool training session that was supposed to come with tickets in the supporter's end?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little bit of false advertising??? Ticket sales must be slow

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/07...-toronto-squad

Liverpool haven't announced any squad for the game yet - and it's well known that the 6 England players involved in Euro 2012 and new signing Borini won't be linking up with the squad in Boston until next week

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its funny how TFC doesn't even give a fuck about this match. They are barely helping the organizers promote this.

For the longest time, it wasn't even listed on the schedule on the official TFC website.

When they sent out today's match email, they didn't even mention the game. Even in the portion of the email where they remind fans that the Chicago game for July 21 was moved to September, Liverpool wasn't mentioned.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully the academy kids play this one. Give the senior team a much needed rest. Especially when dealing with an abnormally shortened bench.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Hopefully the academy kids play this one. Give the senior team a much needed rest. Especially when dealing with an abnormally shortened bench.
    I bet TFC is contractually obligated to play some semblance of a first team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    I bet TFC is contractually obligated to play some semblance of a first team.
    A full squad of Terry Dunfield's it is!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone else in the minority looking forward to this? I like friendlies, mid-season or not. They're fun. It's neat to see the team play at the Rogers Centre.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This game can suck my nuts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I can understand why people don't like this game, but do comments like this really bring anything to the discourse? I like friendlies. However, being concerned that players will get injured is a legitimate concern. Is that why you want the game to suck your nuts? Also you do realize that the game, as an event, can't suck your nuts...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    Anyone else in the minority looking forward to this? I like friendlies, mid-season or not. They're fun. It's neat to see the team play at the Rogers Centre.
    man i couldn't disagree with this more. Especially the rogers centre. I really don't like that venue. Anyway, to each there own - enjoy the game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hoping the Dome's open, it makes a big difference. Rogers Centre with the dome closed has a weird smell too it. I'm wondering if they'll run out some guest players? When TFC played Bolton they played three (I think) CSL players.

How about this, in terms of serious discourse about the game: To those who won't be attending, will you be watching on TV?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure how excited i am, but will be attending.
    This friendly is actually a god send, our game against chicago got postponed because of it and it couldn't happen at a better time. Packed mls sched, injuries and short bench have convinced mariner to rest starters for it. Better chance of 3 points against chicago in september!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I can understand why people don't like this game, but do comments like this really bring anything to the discourse? I like friendlies. However, being concerned that players will get injured is a legitimate concern. Is that why you want the game to suck your nuts? Also you do realize that the game, as an event, can't suck your nuts...

No I just wanted to give my opinion and spare everybody from the same points that have probably been bantied around and beaten to death in this thread already.

I couldn't be bothered to read any of them, but basically:

1 friendlies are cool when we aren't struggling and have some depth to play in them
    2 friendlies are cool when we haven't qualified for CCL
    3 friendlies are cool but if grass is good enough for Madrid and Liverpool shouldn't it be good enough for TFC?
    4 friendlies are cool, but do we want to see our team get slaughtered yet again because they are not near good enough?
    5 friendlies are cool, but don't we have enough match congestion?
    6 friendlies are cool, but shouldn't we focus on being a good team first?
    7 friendlies are cool, but what if a player gets injured?

8 This game could very well suck, and as such, why not suck on my nuts at the same time?

etc...

EDIT: Oh and........................... THIS GAME CAN SUCK MY BALLS! :-p
    Last edited by Alonso; 07-18-2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Punchline!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hoping the Dome's open, it makes a big difference. Rogers Centre with the dome closed has a weird smell too it. I'm wondering if they'll run out some guest players? When TFC played Bolton they played three (I think) CSL players.

How about this, in terms of serious discourse about the game: To those who won't be attending, will you be watching on TV?

That's cause games there suck......

On................... my........................ nuts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not going. I refuse to pay money for a friendly where the only people that are really going to benefit are the CEO's at MLSE. The best result in this game would be NO INJURIES. The game score is irrelevant! I hope some of the academy kids get to play for the experience. We need to rest the over-used older players. Frings dosn't need to play this one, RJ shouldn't play, and others like Ecks and Emory probably need a rest weekend. I'd be SO pissed if somebody played and got injured in a crappy friendly game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In tonight's post game presser, Mariner said that he'll be playing many of our young reserves against Liverpool to give them a look. I'll be at the match with a couple of scouser friends of mine rooting for the hometown Reds. Looking forward to seeing what the kids can do against a superior opponent.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bignickel View Post
    Not sure how excited i am, but will be attending.
    This friendly is actually a god send, our game against chicago got postponed because of it and it couldn't happen at a better time. Packed mls sched, injuries and short bench have convinced mariner to rest starters for it. Better chance of 3 points against chicago in september!!
    Actually, Chicago asked for the game to be moved back in February, and TFC agreed.

When the World Football Challenge people were looking for an opponent for Liverpool in Toronto, they asked TFC.

Since TFC had a spare date, and they'd be paid for it, they agreed.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got a fucking boner. . . .

28 of the regular saturday morning lads all together, watching LIVERPOOL live?!!
    this could be the only opportunity all of us get to see the team together. . .
    who knows where we all will be in 10 years. .

fuckin so pumped I can barely fucking sleep. .

FULL KIT! FLY THE COLOURS !!

NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Little disappointed that Jordan Henderson won't be playing in the grass saturday. His uselessness might give our kids some confidence on the ball in the midfield.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes ... but we just keep our mouths shut, with all the bitching by the majority.

Are they sticking in real turf? They are not really going to play on artificial are they?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Forgot about this match while I was away.

To the question asked since I won't be going, I won't be watching it on TV either.

I remember the pro-friendly folks talking about the match generating a lot of buzz. Even among those who love the game in the city, still haven't felt/heard any buzz save from the guys who support Liverpool and post on the board.

But even from those guys the match in Baltimore versus Tottenham has generated more buzz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huyton View Post
    Actually, Chicago asked for the game to be moved back in February, and TFC agreed.

When the World Football Challenge people were looking for an opponent for Liverpool in Toronto, they asked TFC.

Since TFC had a spare date, and they'd be paid for it, they agreed.
    Wow, i'm sure they are regretting now. Chicago would've had a good chance to beat us on saturday. They could use the points seeing as houston has caught up to them.
    Then again, the way tfc has been playing, you almost dont want the break in sched!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's been confirmed that players who played in Euro 2012 will not be playing tomorrow.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    It's been confirmed that players who played in Euro 2012 will not be playing tomorrow.
    Haha.

But not after the weasel move of 'announcing' a roster that included those players.

What a joke.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well... that was the roster for North America. Just not playing in Toronto. LOL

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah, there's a friendly on this weekend! Let me get my pom poms!

GOOOOOOO T-F-CCCCCCCC!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The crowd tomorrow might resemble a weeknight Blue Jay crowd with all the buzz for this game.

You'll be able to hear the fake accents echoing throughout the stadium.