Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This "Rogers Centre gouge" or "TFC isn't running the event" stuff ... the number of people using this as an answer to the pricing and/or TFC's general involvement in this, is frankly amazing. TFC had to agree to the terms of this, all of them, it's never just an appearance fee, there are always conditions. Whatever decision they may have taken, or not, to share risk in the financial outcome of this event is not of concern to the SSH.

They 100% deserve and own whatever fallout happens.

My strongly felt opinion is they have screwed the SSH base over on this one, by not giving the tickets away (or making a substantial discount).

We SSHs are all welcome to be their partner when tickets can't be resold for love or money, but if there's a game that might be attractive and/or have a secondary market where we might recoup some losses, then see you later.
    Last edited by ensco; 05-11-2012 at 05:58 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    This friendly is overpriced. Sure, the pre-sale pricing was better, but not by much.

In the end this is still a meaningless friendly. Friendlies tend to be the most boring soccer to watch as well.

And you figure with all the poor turnouts to recent friendlies in the past few years in this city that organizers for these games would learn. But it doesn't appear that they have.

People care because we don't want our club and our city to get embarassed.
    Ya, I didn't have a problem with this friendly until I realized the prices the LA Galaxy are charging for their friendly vs. Real Madrid (and check out the STH prices):

www.lagalaxy.com/realmadrid/tickets

I've also posted this on one of the other threads.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    Ya, I didn't have a problem with this friendly until I realized the prices the LA Galaxy are charging for their friendly vs. Real Madrid (and check out the STH prices):

Wow, their cheapest walk-up ticket is $75 - Predesumably about $87 with their convenience fee. Sure STH get a bargain ... but it's heck of a lot easier to give a better bargain to STH, when you have so few. Note that the STH bargain price is only for the number of STH you have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its not just one party getting the money. Liverpool, TFC and Rogers all get a slice. The final ticket price reflects this.

that said, it was the season ticket holders who said they didn't want to have the friendlies apart of the package. now you are paying for it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Wow, their cheapest walk-up ticket is $75 - Predesumably about $87 with their convenience fee. Sure STH get a bargain ... but it's heck of a lot easier to give a better bargain to STH, when you have so few. Note that the STH bargain price is only for the number of STH you have.
    So few? When compared to what? The rest of the league? That's true.

Pricing is just fine by me. The diehards will pay it. It will be a stretch to get people casually paying that much.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flipityflu View Post
    its not just one party getting the money. Liverpool, TFC and Rogers all get a slice. The final ticket price reflects this.

that said, it was the season ticket holders who said they didn't want to have the friendlies apart of the package. now you are paying for it.
    paying for it? many aren't paying for it and i think that's the point!!!!
    you're not saying that because there's a 3 way split of the pie that justifies crazy prices?

and really, even the real madrid friendly - we "paid for it" also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have paid LFC prices to see Swansea, and I would have paid those prices to take my 91 year old grandfather to see his childhood team as well.............the point................value is different to everyone, and I think the majority is saying this ain't "value"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cmonyoureds View Post
    paying for it? many aren't paying for it and i think that's the point!!!!
    you're not saying that because there's a 3 way split of the pie that justifies crazy prices?

and really, even the real madrid friendly - we "paid for it" also.
    yes, i am saying the three way split IS the reason and justification for the 'crazy' prices. how could it not be? thats why top level clubs travel so much in the preseason. they expect, and get, a big share of the box office. why wouldn't Rogers and TFC want just a big a share? you know, it is a business.

i wonder how many tickets have been sold to the match. really, that will be the telling point on the pricing of this game. if it sells 40,000 plus, you'll know they got the pricing right.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

??? There is a big difference between River Platte and Real Madrid, my friend. STH's were hosed badly by being forced to pay exactly DOUBLE for crap friendlies. This is while many many great teams have come to other MLS home venues for a nominal cost to STH's or, in many cases FREE. River Platte @ $120 per ticket or Barcelona for free. Quit trying to defend a really horrible pricing policy that continues to ravage our team. Last I checked, this friendly isn't even being played at BMO. Your "that's business" argument is exactly the type of thinking that has put this team in the bind it is in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
    ??? There is a big difference between River Platte and Real Madrid, my friend. STH's were hosed badly by being forced to pay exactly DOUBLE for crap friendlies. This is while many many great teams have come to other MLS home venues for a nominal cost to STH's or, in many cases FREE. River Platte @ $120 per ticket or Barcelona for free. Quit trying to defend a really horrible pricing policy that continues to ravage our team. Last I checked, this friendly isn't even being played at BMO. Your "that's business" argument is exactly the type of thinking that has put this team in the bind it is in.
    i don't have to defend anything. i place value on a product and pay that price. there are plenty of products in the world i can't afford, but i don't go moaning about it. its not my 'thats business' argument. your fight is with free market economy. with the Occupy Movement representing, i think you have an uphill battle fighting that war right now.

the team hasn't been put in the bind its in because of ticket prices. lots of people were more than willing to pay them. the problem is TFC has continued to suck on the field. fix that, and people will come back in droves.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do feel sorry for those that want to support TFC no matter what the game and are priced out of this match but it seems like it's not that big of a concern for TFC since they'll get some money for an exhibition.

I would guess 40k a stretch but it won't be far off from low 30-35k.

If someone wants to look into numbers sold that would be cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am a big fan/ 'supporter' as per your terms of both these teams and quite frankly i view these prices as an insult. It's like they expect to jack the prices to take advantage of people's devotion to the clubs. Fuck that.

On page 1 of this thread i was very excited... fast forward to today and I don't want to go anymore.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MKR View Post
    i am a big fan/ 'supporter' as per your terms of both these teams and quite frankly i view these prices as an insult. It's like they expect to jack the prices to take advantage of people's devotion to the clubs. Fuck that.

On page 1 of this thread i was very excited... fast forward to today and I don't want to go anymore.
    and are you surprised by this? this club has consistently taken their customers for granted since day 1
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I do feel sorry for those that want to support TFC no matter what the game and are priced out of this match but it seems like it's not that big of a concern for TFC since they'll get some money for an exhibition.
    With seats start at $41 including all taxes, and some real nice ones for $45 ... it's hard to think that too many of such fans are priced out - compared to Real Madrid ... what did those start at ... $125 for STH?

STH asked to not have friendlies included with their ticket packages. And now they are concerned about pricing ... which starts at about the same price as the last friendly that they got in their package.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With seats start at $41 including all taxes, and some real nice ones for $45 ... it's hard to think that too many of such fans are priced out - compared to Real Madrid ... what did those start at ... $125 for STH?

STH asked to not have friendlies included with their ticket packages. And now they are concerned about pricing ... which starts at about the same price as the last friendly that they got in their package.
    This is not the first time these points were brought up in this thread.

RM was more expensive beacause there were less tix avail and it was a younger soccer market here. A lot of TFC fans now look at this game as paying double for a game that doesn't mean anything if they don't love Liverpool or EPL. Those fans are glad it's not manditory on thier seasons pkg but that doesn't make them exempt from caring about how to make these tix more interesting to TFC fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post

so assuming general admission is supporters section, if you are a season ticket holder, its $25 to see Real Madrid, but when it was in Toronto, it was $125...jokes on TFC

someone can correct me if I am wrong, but the message at least I tried to send (pretty sure the supporters) tried to send as well was that we didn't want to see our team playing mid-season friendlies (end of story), for the more than painfully obvious reasons

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    This is not the first time these points were brought up in this thread.
    And it's not the first time that I've pointed out that many people who claim to have no interest in the game, keep pointing out the game is too expensive, even though it's priced similarly to the Bolton friendly. Can't we just take that as read that's what some think?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And it's not the first time that I've pointed out that many people who claim to have no interest in the game, keep pointing out the game is too expensive, even though it's priced similarly to the Bolton friendly. Can't we just take that as read that's what some think?
    You're kidding, right?

What do you think they sold to the Bolton game, 1000 seats?

Bolton tickets were given to the SSHs. The purpose and intent of that game, couldn't be more different.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

difference can be BMO hold 20,000 seats...sky dome 50,0000. Much more tickets to sell. Other reasons can be TFC tickets were still more in demand when Real Madrid came to town, compared to this season TFC are in dead last, the worst season in there 6 year history, and fans have just had enough of paying to watch a shit team. Also perhaps Liverpool finishing this season in 8th place isn't Liverpool's best season. In fact the last time they finished as low as 8th place was in 1994, and before that they had not finished as low as 8th place since 1963. So in Liverpool circumstances this was a shit season for them. Unless your a Liverpool supporter other people might not be willing to pay high prices for a friendly against an 8th place team?
    Last edited by james; 05-14-2012 at 09:06 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that it's overpriced. I agree that mid-season friendlies are a big pain in the ass (much like international friendlies are). Saying that, I'm a die-hard LFC supporter, and the fact that they're playing in my hometown against the MLS side I support...well, I can't pass it up. The $57 I paid for a ticket is nothing compared to the airfare/accommodations I'm paying to come from Regina to see the game. For this, I'm grateful that they are having the match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    someone can correct me if I am wrong, but the message at least I tried to send (pretty sure the supporters) tried to send as well was that we didn't want to see our team playing mid-season friendlies (end of story), for the more than painfully obvious reasons
    yep, and sound reasoning it is as well.

these preseason friendlies are a cash machine though. with competition from the Asian and Gulf states markets, clubs can demand alot of money for these matches. thats obviously going to travel downstream to us.

there is something else that doesn't come up much...the amount of investment that MLSE has made into TFC. The Academy, along with the new facilities, grass pitch, stadium upgrades, etc were all large investments. At some point, you have to accept that they aren't doing this for their good health, or 'for us'. MLSE wants to make as much money as possible from their investment. you have to think, in the last 2 years especially, that they have lost income from shrinking tickets sales and merch. time to make up some lost dosh yes?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The $$$ talks loud when a premiership team wants to come to town.

That's why I'm definitely not going to this game. TFC as a team, and us as supporters, won't benefit at all from this game. The best we can hope for is that we don't get thrashed off the field and/or end up with a bad injury.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Bolton tickets were given to the SSHs. The purpose and intent of that game, couldn't be more different.
    They were not given. They were included in the season ticket price. Yellow was $323 in 2010, and $34 of that was for the friendly. It would have been $289 if there had been no friendly (17 games at $17 each). Dark grey was $931 and $98 of that was for the Bolton game, it would have been $833 if there was no friendly (17 games at $49).

The game was not free, and many paid a pretty penny to see the game.

I'd say Liverpool at similar pricing is a better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    The best we can hope for is that we don't get thrashed off the field and/or end up with a bad injury.
    If they are not playing, they are training. We've seen some of our worst injuries in training, or even off the pitch.

So ...we get thrashed. They are probably used to it by now
    Last edited by nfitz; 05-14-2012 at 04:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This game will be sold out, whether or not we 'hardcore' supporters think it's over priced.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The game was not free, and many paid a pretty penny to see the game.
    You're math is subjective. There has always been a "shell game" around how tickets have been bundled. It is impossible to disallocate the effect of ticket price increases (up to 2010) and the shifting number of games without being totally subjective.

"Many paid a pretty penny to see this game". Bwahaha. You cannot be serious. Maybe a few hundred did.

I have a question for you. Why are you so determined to "own" this question of the fairness of pricing and the treatment of the SSHs on this topic? What is the reason for your passion on this topic?

It has to be said, I don't see anyone but you making the case that you are making, while there are literally dozens arguing the other side. Yet you have a massive post count in this thread, and simply will not let a single point slide. Frankly, I have been coming back in here and repeating myself solely because I see the volume you are posting in defence of what the FO are doing. It makes one wonder.
    Last edited by ensco; 05-14-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Careful Ensco, you dont want somebody posting the 'tinfoil hat' image and likening you to somebody who thinks aliens are secretly controlling our thoughts.

I see what you're getting at though, seems like a lot of effort just to defend inflated pricing and disregard for SSH.

Me, Im too pissed off at the coaching and performance to start complaining that theyre bringing my hometeam over here though. Ill shell out for LFC any day of the week. I actually enjoy feeding LFC's marketing machine whenever I can, because I know its supposed to translate back to the product. I call it 'bleeding for the team' and I stopped doing that for Toronto in season two.

Im happy I get to add funds to LFC's coffers by going to this game, and just mentally cut MLSE out of the equation.

MLSE could learn a lesson here. When you have a great product, and your fans feel like they are part of that product, pricing complaints get squeakier and squeakier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i feel the same. come get my money Mr Henry

as i've said, bargain is in the eye of the beholder, and at least one sides fans are excited. not to mention that Toronto is a Liverpool good luck charm, and I see another season of lifting more trophies than Them (you know, like this season).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    Careful Ensco, you dont want somebody posting the 'tinfoil hat' image and likening you to somebody who thinks aliens are secretly controlling our thoughts.

I see what you're getting at though, seems like a lot of effort just to defend inflated pricing and disregard for SSH.

Me, Im too pissed off at the coaching and performance to start complaining that theyre bringing my hometeam over here though. Ill shell out for LFC any day of the week. I actually enjoy feeding LFC's marketing machine whenever I can, because I know its supposed to translate back to the product. I call it 'bleeding for the team' and I stopped doing that for Toronto in season two.

Im happy I get to add funds to LFC's coffers by going to this game, and just mentally cut MLSE out of the equation.

MLSE could learn a lesson here. When you have a great product, and your fans feel like they are part of that product, pricing complaints get squeakier and squeakier.
    I personally have no problem with friendlies, and hope that anyone who goes has fun. My dissatisfaction is strictly with the FO for giving the SSH base the finger on this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally have no problem with friendlies, and hope that anyone who goes has fun. My dissatisfaction is strictly with the FO for giving the SSH base the finger on this.
    Im not opposing your position in the slightest.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're math is subjective. There has always been a "shell game" around how tickets have been bundled. It is impossible to disallocate the effect of ticket price increases (up to 2010) and the shifting number of games without being totally subjective.
    Apart from 2007 when they didn't know how many friendlies there would be, the pricing on season tickets has been completely transparent. That you can divide the renewal the 2010 season ticket prices by 19 (15 MLS games, 2 Voyageurs games, and the double-priced Bolton game), and obtain round numbers at each price level is evidence of that. Ditto for 2012 with 19 (17 MLS games and 2 Voyageurs Cup games). 2011 is complicated, but the formula was 19*2011 price + 2*2010 price for the MLS cup. It's been very transparent, and we've discussed here previously each year. I don't know why you'd say otherwise.

"Many paid a pretty penny to see this game". Bwahaha. You cannot be serious. Maybe a few hundred did.
    Everyone did ... it was part of the STH package.

I have a question for you. Why are you so determined to "own" this question of the fairness of pricing and the treatment of the SSHs on this topic? What is the reason for your passion on this topic?
    Simply, I see all the BS that some are saying - like your fiction about subjective pricing. It's just so bizarre and tin-hattish ... I can't leave it alone. I find the overwhelming sense of entitlement of many supporters, disjarring.

Sure, I think they should have given STHs the game for free, to make up for this 0-0-8 record on Saturdays. I've said that previously ... but that doesn't mean I expect it.

It has to be said, I don't see anyone but you making the case that you are making, while there are literally dozens arguing the other side. Yet you have a massive post count in this thread, and simply will not let a single point slide. Frankly, I have been coming back in here and repeating myself solely because I see the volume you are posting in defence of what the FO are doing. It makes one wonder.
    Wonder what? Why so many supporters have their head in the sands? Making up fiction about pricing?
    Last edited by nfitz; 05-14-2012 at 09:01 PM.