Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I didn't get my seat from RPB, knew nothing about this 8 page thing, and when I got to my seat it was taken. But as with every single road trip including MLS cups they have all been GA within the group.

"Behind the curtain portion answered incorrectly by 2 mods and my post edited so no one would know that I asked a difficult question" NOT COOL.
    Last edited by bones; 04-11-2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: off topic portion deleted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 4evared View Post
    O.K. I have given myself 48 hours to cool down and take stock of our experience in Montreal.

Let's start from the beginning.

Travel to the stadium via subway with all of us gathering in one spot away from the Montreal fans. Well done Montreal FO.

March to the stadium en masse. Incident free. Well done both sets of fans

Access into the stadium via one door. Good enough

Concession stands very busy to begin with. Oh well, no big problem for me.

General admission seemed to be the order of the day. Everyone that gets involved big time, all the time, seemed to congregate near the front of our sections, which is the norm for away games. To be expected.

My seats, 30 of us (12 of them under the age of 15) were in the 1rst 2 rows of 259. This worked out well for us as we were far enough away from the normally intense area at the front for us to enjoy the game without putting our kids into the thick of the action in the stands. Pekduck was aware of the kids with us, and if he 'put' us in at area, 'Thanks mate', as this is where we wanted to be.

Smoke bombs go off in our combined sections. First thoughts are we as a group are going to pay for that, and I hope no one gets hurt or there is no damage.

Second half starts and the Capo comes up to our section and parks himself and the drums right beside us. Hey no problem with that. Better acoustics for the drums, our section was really quite loud and involved. Whatever the reason, we just squished up a bit and made room for them and a few more people that came along with them.

Security were visible but quite subtle and from what I saw they went about their work without being heavy handed or in our faces.

Now I am entering into an incident that has me fuming. For the person who lit the smoke bomb off in the second row of Section 259, was it your intention to set it off and throw it in the direction of my wife and my 14 year old daughter? They both were completely unaware of what was happening, tried to move quickly and stumbled in the tight confines of our now busy section.

What if she fell? What if she fell on the smoke bomb? It would have scarred her without question. It left scorch marks on the concrete floor. Do you ever ask yourself how your actions will affect others. Particularly when you are the only ones who know what is about to happen? Can't you give any warning to those around you as to what is about to happen? Or even, just be a man with balls and stand there and hold it yourselves? Or even better, be a bigger man and fucking PM me with an apology, or even better, come up to me when you next see me and apologize in person for putting my wife and daughter in jepardy, just so you can behave in a particular way.

With all this security that was put in place, I didn't think that it would be our own fans (or supporters whatever you want to call yourselves) that would be the ones that my family had to be protected from.
    Kev, you summed up the experience perfectly. Thanks.

I was part of Kev's group- same row and row in front. What Kev didn't mention is that (and I bold and CAP this intentionally) WERE A 5 YEAR OLD,A 6 YEAR OLD, A 10 YEAR OLD AND SEVERAL OTHER KIDS UNDER 14.
    TO WHICHEVER ASSHOLE DECIDED IT WAS CLEVER TO SET OFF A FLARE IN THAT LOCATION, HOW FAR UP YOUR OWN ARSE DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO PUT THE LIVES OF KIDS IN PERIL?
    ASK YOURSELF THAT AND ASK IF IT'S WORTH IT.

DO WE HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL SOMEONE GETS THEIR FACE OR SKIN BURNED OFF BEFORE WE AGREE AS A GROUP THAT FLARES AND SMOKEBOMBS ARE BANNED FOR A FUCKING REASON?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    nice retort,....so being able to throw a flare into a crowd , interferes with your perceived freedom to do as you please , regardless of the consequences,..who are you trying to impress ?,.............let me say it again, it is not the use of flares themselves but the dangerous way flares by are used by irresponsible people......but if you want to go that route ,..let's talk,...if I saw someone throw a flare at 'innocent' ...families , or whatever or anybody really...ya .if there was a shock collar ,...I'd push the button........easy decision.....now let's be real
    You COMPETELY misunderstood my post, guess it wasnt as funny as I thought.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Cityboy View Post
    Kev, you summed up the experience perfectly. Thanks.

I was part of Kev's group- same row and row in front. What Kev didn't mention is that (and I bold and CAP this intentionally) WERE A 5 YEAR OLD,A 6 YEAR OLD, A 10 YEAR OLD AND SEVERAL OTHER KIDS UNDER 14.
    TO WHICHEVER ASSHOLE DECIDED IT WAS CLEVER TO SET OFF A FLARE IN THAT LOCATION, HOW FAR UP YOUR OWN ARSE DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO PUT THE LIVES OF KIDS IN PERIL?
    ASK YOURSELF THAT AND ASK IF IT'S WORTH IT.

DO WE HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL SOMEONE GETS THEIR FACE OR SKIN BURNED OFF BEFORE WE AGREE AS A GROUP THAT FLARES AND SMOKEBOMBS ARE BANNED FOR A FUCKING REASON?

From a harm reduction standpoint I think it is a really good argument for allowing flares/smoke in a pyro section (that I won't be in) with proper safety etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sky View Post
    From a harm reduction standpoint I think it is a really good argument for allowing flares/smoke in a pyro section (that I won't be in) with proper safety etc.
    It's called "outside the stadium"

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS will never allow that, so it's only a question of whether people will follow the rules or not, and if they choose not to, will they man up and hold the devices in their hands (and be caught), or will they throw them at random into the crowd, endangering little kids and other people, their jerseys, etc.?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    MLS will never allow that, so it's only a question of whether people will follow the rules or not, and if they choose not to, will they man up and hold the devices in their hands (and be caught), or will they throw them at random into the crowd, endangering little kids and other people, their jerseys, etc.?
    As I understand it they allow it in Portland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^different local laws and certified pyro handlers as I understand it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wull View Post
    Great put me in group 1 and keep the fucking capos as far from me as possible (no offense Flush etc.). I should have moved down the front when they came up the back.

Also, I seemed to get in between a bunch of people all standing together who seemed to take offense at us taking our designated seats. I'd have happily gone to stand with my usual group had I known they weren't enforcing the seating. However, don't fucking touch me because I refuse to sit down when some guy with a microphone tells me to. I'm not deaf nor am I obliged to follow orders so you can watch the capo for your cues
    If you don't like or appreciate what certain individuals(Capos in this case) do to get better support,don't get personal.

Capo asked you sit FFS not to jump on your head.

If to sit down for a minute as part of the chant to much for you,than stay home and watch it on TV.
    I don't get this,you are ready to travel to Montreal but to be a part of organized support not,stay home I'm sure you wont be missed in the stands,you or any other who feels that he does not have to follow the group lead,and in this case capo is the one leading the Supporters Groups in the stands,stay away, we are better of with 200-300 unified supporters than 1500 individual supporters.

Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't tell me how to support Denis, we do fine in 115 without a capo every week. If I don't want to sit down while the team is shitting the bed, it's my choice. I certainly shouldn't have people trying to force me (not the capo in this case, the guy behind me)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    If you don't like or appreciate what certain individuals(Capos in this case) do to get better support,don't get personal.

Capo asked you sit FFS not to jump on your head.

If to sit down for a minute as part of the chant to much for you,than stay home and watch it on TV.
    I don't get this,you are ready to travel to Montreal but to be a part of organized support not,stay home I'm sure you wont be missed in the stands,you or any other who feels that he does not have to follow the group lead,and in this case capo is the one leading the Supporters Groups in the stands,stay away, we are better of with 200-300 unified supporters than 1500 individual supporters.

If everyone just understood this, things would be so much better.

The don't tell me what to do crowd really has no place in a organized supporters section.
    RPB Road Warrior. DC United 9/29/07, Columbus Chaos 3/25/08, DC Rumble 5/24/08, Montreal Madness 5/27/08, Chicago 7/12/08, Kansas City Opener 3/21/09, Columbus Smoke 3/28/09, Boston Bus Bounce 8/1/09, Montreal 1000 4/7/12 Montreal 3200 3/16/2013 Columbus Bus Breakdown 3/21/15, Montreal Playoffs 10/29/15, Montreal Opener 04/23/16, Montreal East Final 11/22/16, Chicago 08/19/17, NY Semi-Final 10/30/17, Columbus East Final 11/21/17, Montreal "Dichio Lives" 3/17/18

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't tell me how to support Denis, we do fine in 115 without a capo every week. If I don't want to sit down while the team is shitting the bed, it's my choice. I certainly shouldn't have people trying to force me (not the capo in this case, the guy behind me)
    paid completely agree with you, I have always hated when people question how someone supports their team, if you want to be jumping around in a insane state for 90 minutes plus or sitting in a seat with the Reds in your heart that is your choice and no one has the right to question your choice. It is to each their own.

i personally am good for about 2-3 games a season in the south end doing all the all out thing, the rest of the time, it will be in my seats, but in no way will I ever question what others do.

i for instance made the time to be at Wednesday's reserve match tomorrow because ever since TFC has come on the scene it has become one of my favourite aspects of the club, being able to stand a few feet off the sidelines and hear all the dialogue. This is one of the way I truely enjoy supporting the Reds.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saying 'sit down' is like saying 'sing damn you sing!'

Maybe I don't want to sing at the top of my lungs for 90 minutes (which by the way is damaging to your vocal chords and creates 'nodules' on them from repeated tearing/inflammation)

I like capos, but I have not sworn allegiance to them or something, I wanna watch, I will watch, I wanna sing, I will sing, but if ALL I wanted to do was drink and sing, I wouldn't do it at a soccer match. I would go to karaoke bars or join a choir.

Honest question, many say they are hardcore supporters, but of what? A team they love? How do you know you love the team if you don't watch the games?

Honestly I don't quite get it.

I hope this didn't come off too disparaging, I don't mean to. I just think that saying someone else's support stinks is lame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose13 View Post

The don't tell me what to do crowd really has no place in a organized supporters section.
    I was in LA and Seattle singing until my voice went, I just have a different preference for how and when to start things off

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    who cares what your ticket says, its an away game, ive never seen anyone care about that before. Just like i would like to see TFC change south end to general admission, teams like Montreal, Portland, New York and maybe others who have general admission, it helps increase the atmosphere, create tifos and makes supporter groups more organised and people be with there friends.

Flares im all for as well, as long as people aren't stupid with them and start throwing them on the field pr at someone in the crowd.
    so you would be for getting TFC away supporters banned from travelling as well? Is it really worth it?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was in LA and Seattle singing until my voice went, I just have a different preference for how and when to start things off
    Everybody does, but sometimes you just suck it up for the betterment of the cause.

I will sing, bounce, jump and sit, but always keep my eyes on the game as I don't want to miss a thing.

When I decide that being in the supporters section is too much work for me, I will happily move to another section and let someone that wants to support for 90 minutes have my seat.
    RPB Road Warrior. DC United 9/29/07, Columbus Chaos 3/25/08, DC Rumble 5/24/08, Montreal Madness 5/27/08, Chicago 7/12/08, Kansas City Opener 3/21/09, Columbus Smoke 3/28/09, Boston Bus Bounce 8/1/09, Montreal 1000 4/7/12 Montreal 3200 3/16/2013 Columbus Bus Breakdown 3/21/15, Montreal Playoffs 10/29/15, Montreal Opener 04/23/16, Montreal East Final 11/22/16, Chicago 08/19/17, NY Semi-Final 10/30/17, Columbus East Final 11/21/17, Montreal "Dichio Lives" 3/17/18

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long will it be until only members of an official supporters club that get tickets in the Away Supporters Section?

If a club has sufficient empty seats on game day, it would be tough to stop away fans from getting in, but they'll be scattered.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see Blue already replied the way I and many others feel about don't tell me what to do crowd.That's all I have to say about organized AWAY Support,what you do in 115 at BMO is not what I was writing about.

Everybody does, but sometimes you just suck it up for the betterment of the cause.

I will sing, bounce, jump and sit, but always keep my eyes on the game as I don't want to miss a thing.

When I decide that being in the supporters section is too much work for me, I will happily move to another section and let someone that wants to support for 90 minutes have my seat.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huyton View Post
    How long will it be until only members of an official supporters club that get tickets in the Away Supporters Section?

If a club has sufficient empty seats on game day, it would be tough to stop away fans from getting in, but they'll be scattered.
    This is the way its heading but on away games as big as last weekend it doesn't pay to be exclusionary, just more organized. It's a process and feedback like we've got helps to improve every time.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly I don't quite get it.

I just think that saying someone else's support stinks is lame.
    Disagree. I'd say you get it perfectly.

Well said, sky. Carry on.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
    ^different local laws and certified pyro handlers as I understand it.
    Exactly. In the view of MLS, it's no different than TFC's own official pyro and confetti. If TFC let random people let off pyro, the league FO would sanction the club for sure. No way TFC would ever want the team to play in an empty stadium.

Once Montreal joined MLS, they warned UM02 that pyro would not be allowed.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 04-11-2012 at 07:05 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Is it RPB's conclusion that away games should be treated as have to be at your assigned seat, and that to do otherwise is irresponsible? Surely this is a minority opinion ... or have I missed a beat and that's actually the RPB consensus?

I saw supporters that were part of at least two other supporters groups near the front. I don't believe that this was not general admission was ever communicated to their members.

I also didn't see any discussion of it, or this 8-page PDF (8 pages??? really???) over on this board before the game. Sometimes hiding discussion behind a paywall doesn't really make for good communication.
    We can't be responsible for what other groups don't do. We were communicated to and informed our membership buying tickets from us.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally know SCF1908 very well, he may be undiplomatic and blunt as hell, but reading your past few posts your 'location' doesn't look to be a joke...

I am new here, you may feel my 'supporterness' isn't as good as yours so my opinion isn't valid, again, your 'location' doesn't look to be a joke.

Regarding GA, RPB/U-Sector/NEE/Unaffiliated/Others all have tickets in the same area at away games. So I don't think that it should be RPB's who are on this forum (which is a subsect of all RPB's) should be deciding whether games are GA or not for everyone. Maybe I am wrong, and I think it is a great place to throw around ideas, but there isn't even quorum on here.

Again, SCF1908 and I are personal friends. We disagree on the GA thing in that he leans more towards GA is fine and I lean more towards 'go where your tickets are' neither of us are the 1% 'velvet rope' or 'bully push to the front' guys. I think that is where most people stand on the subject, somewhere in between.

If RPB are going to put out any message about GA vs. 'Sit in your seat', IMHO, if it is GA say something like 'It is GA, but use common sense and if people want their seats give them up' OR 'it is RPB GA in Section XXX row X to X' but you can't say 'RPB say it is GA in the entire travelers section' OTOH if it is 'sit in your seat' there should be some kind of message of 'be considerate of people who may want to trade'

Most people are reasonable, mature adults that did NOT read the 8 page PDF. Heck, how many people here, likely the most educated on what to do, read the 8 page PDF?
    Wow. This is what happens when you walk away from the keyboard for the night. Miss a page, miss a lot.

The key points in the 8 pager were pretty clear. No GA. Tickets will be checked. The reason this is such a talking point this week is because it was wasn't absolute. Security left it to ticket holders to complain. This made the pseudo/sorta GA situation that led to the two differing opinions going forward.

The fact it seems we were the only ones to tell people what Montreal was planning on doing has lead to the surprise in the change from regular away game practice.

From the weekends events I'd say that to avoid repeating the multiple accounts of complaints we simply use the GA model unless security wishes to enforce otherwise. This way the people that don't want to participate in certain ways of support can find a place to enjoy the game while those wanting to be in the thick of it will find the area quicker without any worry.

And as for the more personal comments in your posts I think you'll find in the future and in past posts I'm not big on those that grade "supporterness" or ostracizing anyone for the way they support. There is room for everyone.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I'm not big on those that grade "supporterness" or ostracizing anyone for the way they support. There is room for everyone.
    I have to agree here. Its getting to be a circular discussion about type of support and what is better. A whole bunch of guys only want it one way, there is a heap of people that are in the middle and another bunch that don't want anything but their voice. Its pretty safe to say that we can all work together especially given the size of travel and sections in the big O. We all have found our respective spots across the south.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I understand it they allow it in Portland
    You need to look at the local fire codes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Exactly. In the view of MLS, it's no different than TFC's own official pyro and confetti. If TFC let random people let off pyro, the league FO would sanction the club for sure. No way TFC would ever want the team to play in an empty stadium.

Once Montreal joined MLS, they warned UM02 that pyro would not be allowed.
    They aren't doing a good job policing it

http://images.lpcdn.ca/924x615/20120...uxieme-but.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post

they had a bucket with sand waiting...on hand!! believe me they new it would happen!

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post

True. Now what does that have to do with us as supporters?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I see one RPB member saying that away support should be a collective and you're not a real supporter if you don't. Then on the other hand there's another saying that we should adhere to assigned seat numbers issued by the away trip organizers. Is there actually a policy in place? Because from what it looks like there's a is a lot of internal disagreement with the way RPB should conduct themselves outside of BMO, never mind away supporters in general.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well, I see what started out as a pretty interesting discussion regarding seating at away games has once again turned into a bitchfest and "I'm a better supporter than you are because...". Too bad, really.