Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm gonna buy up all the front row seats in supporters, wear blue and sit there like a fud sipping on juice not making a sound.
    I'm sure those who absolutely must be in their assigned seats won't take any exception to that, right? But hey, that's the way I want to support this team so you just have to deal with it!

RPB will never grow and be stronger, as a group, if it's members all so bloody insistent on doing things their own bloody way. Think groups like TA would be so effective if half the group in the middle decided they wanted to sit down for the match or not sing the anthem? Wouldn't that make the group look silly. Kind of like how in RPB, some people are early, some people are late....some people sing the anthem, some people don't....some people yell player names, some people look at them like they are crazy. Just my opinion of course.

This gets away from the topic of GA but I just wanted to comment because I think I've finally highlighted what I find bothersome when I read this forum. It's as if RPB comes off as a group of individuals, rather than individuals forming a group. Not all the time, but often enough.
    Many unwilling to follow on a wide variety of topic from GA, to props, to what to sing, how to support, etc. One side argues one thing, another side argues another...come to an impasse and nobody gives way to the other.

I don't mean that as a slight on anyone, just an observation.
    Last edited by ryan; 04-09-2012 at 05:40 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    I'm gonna buy up all the front row seats in supporters, wear blue and sit there like a fud sipping on juice not making a sound.
    I'm sure those who absolutely must be in their assigned seats won't take any exception to that, right? But hey, that's the way I want to support this team so you just have to deal with it!

RPB will never grow and be stronger, as a group, if it's members all so bloody insistent on doing things their own bloody way. Think groups like TA would be so effective if half the group in the middle decided they wanted to sit down for the match or not sing the anthem? Wouldn't that make the group look silly. Kind of like how in RPB, some people are early, some people are late....some people sing the anthem, some people don't....some people yell player names, some people look at them like they are crazy. Just my opinion of course.

This gets away from the topic of GA but I just wanted to comment because I think I've finally highlighted what I find bothersome when I read this forum. It's as if RPB comes off as a group of individuals, rather than individuals forming a group. Not all the time, but often enough.
    Many unwilling to follow on a wide variety of topic from GA, to props, to what to sing, how to support, etc. One side argues one thing, another side argues another...come to an impasse and nobody gives way to the other.

You're not wrong.
    RPB Road Warrior. DC United 9/29/07, Columbus Chaos 3/25/08, DC Rumble 5/24/08, Montreal Madness 5/27/08, Chicago 7/12/08, Kansas City Opener 3/21/09, Columbus Smoke 3/28/09, Boston Bus Bounce 8/1/09, Montreal 1000 4/7/12 Montreal 3200 3/16/2013 Columbus Bus Breakdown 3/21/15, Montreal Playoffs 10/29/15, Montreal Opener 04/23/16, Montreal East Final 11/22/16, Chicago 08/19/17, NY Semi-Final 10/30/17, Columbus East Final 11/21/17, Montreal "Dichio Lives" 3/17/18

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Can't say I agree with this (bolded part).

I think the problem we have is that we are multiple groups within a group.
    There are probably 3 different groups within the RPB:

Those who who want to watch the game and react to the play on the field.
    Those who want to sing for 90 minutes straight regardless of what is happening on the pitch.
    Those who are indifferent to either and are waiting to see which group comes out on top.

i think you'll see each group holds similar values on various topics and issues.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 04-09-2012 at 06:04 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    What you actually said was

Well it's not fine. These are such naive comments. Think about it David.

No-one who brings a flare or smokebomb into BMO is going to a). consider the safety and gameday experience of their fellow supporter, or b). hold flare / accept full consequences. No-one.

They're going to do what they did in Montreal. They're going to light it, throw it, and hide among the crowd.

Someone's going to get injured. A lot of people will be pissed off, and we'll all be punished. Regardless of 'how cool the smoke looks in that photo'.
    Wait a second, before that I wrote:
    This is what we should strive for. The kind of support that London describes is what we need to be striving for. We should bot be putting anyone down for supporting the team in their way. This is the downfall of living in a multicultural society. People will be doing things differently. People need ti stop thinking their style of support is better than the other. Personally, I try to do what London describes. I am pro smoke but since it is illegal, I won't be lighting anything. I just hate how divisive people are doing right now. We all support TFC so why all this hate towards each other?
    It's on page 7. Very first post which was in response to London's post:
    ^^ I never once refered to myself as ultra, "european ultras" have no place in north america.

this term was placed on us by alot of the people around here,example #1 (OOOOOOOltra) we are just trying to bring the style of support that WE grew up watching.

we do not engage in battling security or police or other supporters,

we simply bring a european style of support in the stands, it does not mean that we are trying to replicate old world style or anything like that.

as a child i would have tapes sent to me from italy so i could watch matches almost a week after they occured, it was the only way to see them play, over the years i fell in love with "euro style stadium support" , so that is what i know and bring with me to every match.

When the team is down, you build them up, when they are up you raise them higher, i give as much effort as i feel the players should- 90 minutes
    I clearly say that since it is illegal, I won't be doing it.
    If people want to do it anyways, they need to suffer the consequences that the law state.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Can't say I agree with this (bolded part).

I think the problem we have is that we are multiple groups within a group.
    There are probably 3 different groups within the RPB:

Those who who want to watch the game and react to the play on the field.
    Those who want to sing for 90 minutes straight regardless of what is happening on the pitch.
    Those who are indifferent to either and are waiting to see which group comes out on top.

i think you'll see each group holds similar values on various topics and issues.
    You're probably more accurate in saying there are various groups, than every single member being their own as a wrote it. What I was trying to say really.

Although I think it's a bit more diverse (in the stands, where it truly counts) than just 3 groups as you list. Beyond these virtual walls there are many more groups within where fans like us tend to sit and that further complicates the matter.

I'm quite encouraged by what's been setup (and I think mentioned in the thread already) for Canada's WCQ's this summer/fall. 3 distinct sections for support. Hopefully it's executed well.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You're probably more accurate in saying there are various groups, than every single member being their own as a wrote it. What I was trying to say really.

Although I think it's a bit more diverse (in the stands, where it truly counts) than just 3 groups as you list. Beyond these virtual walls there are many more groups within where fans like us tend to sit and that further complicates the matter.
    yup. ot disagreeing with that. But to focus on the others would further complicate things. I think if you could get those three group together as one, everyone else would follow. I could be wrong though.

I'm quite encouraged by what's been setup (and I think mentioned in the thread already) for Canada's WCQ's this summer/fall. 3 distinct sections for support. Hopefully it's executed well.
    Can someone explain they dynamics of this group (CMNT Supporters)? Seems to work better than the TFC setup. FYR, any thoughts?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am surprised by all the GA talk actually, because even at BMO I see from 110 right over to 115 people making room for friends/others in their sections and squeezing a little tighter. There are three seats on the aisle to my left in 114 that are never occupied by the same people and when those holding the tickets show up, I find them good natured and understanding of what the story is, and many of them by my infamous skills of super accurate perception are clearly at a football match for the first time. I was in 149 in row D, two rows behind capo Dave, and a dude came in and stood right between me and my youngest, I asked if he would mind switching with me so I could stand by my son and he was totally cool and understanding and we all squeezed in.

The people on the aisle in front of me were older, the man knew the score but his wife and daughter (?) were not visibly comfortable with the ribald noise and the smoke bomb that was in the section - I should add the three kids with me LOVED that aspect - and moved about 20 rows behind us and appeared to have no issue with the people in the row when they moved in.

Maybe I missed the entire controversy - which would contradict my claims of perceptiveness above I suppose - but this shouldn't be an issue among fellow fans in a supporters section.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Can someone explain they dynamics of this group (CMNT Supporters)? Seems to work better than the TFC setup. FYR, any thoughts?
    CMNT support has an entirely different set of challenges. The difference is that they aren't getting together once a week over their team and when they do there needs to be a level of respect not just way of support but a respect to regionality. This new idea of segregating different types of fans is more an opportunity to expand any and all home support. It's less out of incident of friction which is more what's gong on here. I agree with ryan that it is very likely it will help TFC away support to draw a comparison.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 04-09-2012 at 06:58 PM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SCF1908 View Post
    Maybe I missed the entire controversy - which would contradict my claims of perceptiveness above I suppose - but this shouldn't be an issue among fellow fans in a supporters section.
    You missed it- and what "should" be in a supporters section won't be determined by you but all of us there. That's the point of this ongoing conversation within our group.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    You missed it- and what "should" be in a supporters section won't be determined by you but all of us there. That's the point of this ongoing conversation within our group.

No, I saw security come several times and the ticket holders and the people standing there appeared to be okay with what the story was and everyone was accommodated, anyway, the section was huge and I can only speak to about two instances I saw.

On another note, perhaps we have a different interpretation of "Should" or you didn't take my statement as I meant it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On another note, perhaps we have a different interpretation of "Should" or you didn't take my statement as I meant it.
    "Should"is clearly opinion and will be taken as such. Thanks for clarifying.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Should"is clearly opinion and will be taken as such. Thanks for clarifying.

*shrugs*

Sure, I can be menstrual too. That's a clarified opinion.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why should this group say what 'shoukd' be in the supporters section?

What percentage of 'supporters' (a term hard to define in itself) actually frequent these boards or are RPB members?

I would venture a guess at far less than 10%

Regarding GA in particular IMHO there are the 1% 'velvet rope' people, the 1% asshole shove to the front people and everyone else.

I think it is fair to say we are discussing minutia here (it is important, but it is minutia)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sky View Post

What percentage of 'supporters' (a term hard to define in itself) actually frequent these boards or are RPB members?

Regarding GA in particular IMHO there are the 1% 'velvet rope' people, the 1% asshole shove to the front people and everyone else.

I think it is fair to say we are discussing minutia here (it is important, but it is minutia)

As fans, our voice will be part of "Us."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think people should sit or stand in the area designated on the ticket. That's why there is a section, row, and seat number on each ticket.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So is the answer to split the designated away section into two, one for ga and one for non ga?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sky View Post

Why should the group represent its own section? Is this really a question?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why should the group represent its own section? Is this really a question?

I don't see where the conversation was solely based on the RPB section at any point in the thread, but was more of a bigger picture sort of discussion.

I've seen you around the boards, you are not typically an angry person, not sure what gives.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David_Oliveira View Post
    So is the answer to split the designated away section into two, one for ga and one for non ga?
    It could be that way but it's still extra work for the security. The decision is not up to us. We have to work with others if Non GA is to work. GA has worked before but not to the away numbers we saw in Montreal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It could be that way but it's still extra work for the security. The decision is not up to us. We have to work with others if Non GA is to work. GA has worked before but not to the away numbers we saw in Montreal.
    It really all goes back to a numbers thing. The biggest problems arise when we get big numbers to a game (ie.:CCL, Montreal, Columbus). Do we need to limit the number of tickets we sell to someone (1 per membership plus a guest)? I am not at all suggesting the work done by the away team is not good, far from it. For an away trip this big and only have one major issue is very good. I just felt that even at the Rogers Centre I didn't know a quarter of the people in my section. Sometimes a smaller, but more controlled crowd is better than a giant crowd of smaller groups.
    Really all I am trying to do is turn this discussion from what it is becoming, a giant shit storm, to something of a positive discussion that will help with how we support in the future.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see where the conversation was solely based on the RPB section at any point in the thread, but was more of a bigger picture sort of discussion.

I've seen you around the boards, you are not typically an angry person, not sure what gives.
    What gives? No rage but this discussion and most of the complaints about incident, not a lack of support are from members that bought from RPB discussing on the RPB forum about GA. I realize there are other people here. Other supporters. They are in the conversation but why wouldn't how members want to support in the RPB section be a priority to me before accomodating for others view of support?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David_Oliveira View Post
    It really all goes back to a numbers thing. The biggest problems arise when we get big numbers to a game (ie.:CCL, Montreal, Columbus). Do we need to limit the number of tickets we sell to someone (1 per membership plus a guest)? I am not at all suggesting the work done by the away team is not good, far from it. For an away trip this big and only have one major issue is very good. I just felt that even at the Rogers Centre I didn't know a quarter of the people in my section. Sometimes a smaller, but more controlled crowd is better than a giant crowd of smaller groups.
    Really all I am trying to do is turn this discussion from what it is becoming, a giant shit storm, to something of a positive discussion that will help with how we support in the future.
    No David please don't confuse my feedback as just opinion. I appreciate your questions to raise awareness about how things have been handled in the past to a level that satisfied many a supporter.

The shitstorm isn't in talking and asking about plans next time. It comes from opinion turning into or escalating to unwarranted critisism.

Believe me if you were interested in contributing with away trip planning and throwing them a PM it would not be found unappreciated!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What gives? No rage but this discussion and most of the complaints about incident, not a lack of support are from members that bought from RPB discussing on the RPB forum about GA. I realize there are other people here. Other supporters. They are in the conversation but why wouldn't how members want to support in the RPB section be a priority to me before accomodating for others view of support?

Sure, that makes sense, but it was never specified that it was solely an RPB discussion and I have to state that it is useless really to suggest that a single conversation with only RPB can really take place when there are other supporter groups and non-affiliated supporters involved who will be unaware of the discussions you have internally and will quickly put the entire premise to a permanent rest.

Couple with that with the comments about getting the supporters to act in unison as much as possible it becomes apparent to me that insular conversations will not pay out any significant dividends.

But your message between the lines is crystal clear, not suggesting any rage but hostility for sure, I could give a royal fucking fart actually, my inbox has been very busy today with your peers being friendly and helpful. Your opinion is yours and yours alone and I accept that. Be a good time for a Voltaire quote actually.

RPB discussion would be more productive with the input of non RPB'ers. Bigger picture. All that.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ALL I KNOW IS THAT IVE BEEN LAUGHING ALL DAY SINCE I SEEN THIS.
    FLATPICKER: U JUST EARNED YOURSELF A BMO BEER!
    i havent changed my avatar in years. but i did tonite! hahahaha.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the-lower-eastsider View Post
    ALL I KNOW IS THAT IVE BEEN LAUGHING ALL DAY SINCE I SEEN THIS.
    FLATPICKER: U JUST EARNED YOURSELF A BMO BEER!
    i havent changed my avatar in years. but i did tonite! hahahaha.
    bahahahahaha!!!
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure, that makes sense, but it was never specified that it was solely an RPB discussion and I have to state that it is useless really to suggest that a single conversation with only RPB can really take place when there are other supporter groups and non-affiliated supporters involved who will be unaware of the discussions you have internally and will quickly put the entire premise to a permanent rest.

Couple with that with the comments about getting the supporters to act in unison as much as possible it becomes apparent to me that insular conversations will not pay out any significant dividends.

But your message between the lines is crystal clear, not suggesting any rage but hostility for sure, I could give a royal fucking fart actually, my inbox has been very busy today with your peers being friendly and helpful. Your opinion is yours and yours alone and I accept that. Be a good time for a Voltaire quote actually.

RPB discussion would be more productive with the input of non RPB'ers. Bigger picture. All that.
    Thanks for your contribution in the stands. Your contribution here has been thinly veiled insults to many members who have been helping get this far in a long uphill battle of loyal support. Those are people I want to be heard in this conversation. At no point did I say i think your opinion is invalid but I want to see both sides of a debate represented without demeaning either choice of support style.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 04-09-2012 at 08:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't in Montreal so won't comment on that but I really think GA in the South End would revive the atmosphere at BMO by having the SGs behind the goal in a more central position

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took in the game with my brother in law who lives in Mtl from the regular stands. Good job in the section- when it was on it was booming. When the team effort went south, things did become a bit uneven but all in all it definitely made an impact in the rest of the stadium.

Great work yet again from those who put time and sweat into the visual display prep, the away trip org, and the gameday effort.

Sorry I missed the boat on the explanation from anybody about how chucking or dropping and running from a smokebomb is ok. Putting aside the yes/no of it as a worthwhile display, this little manoever interests me. I don't need to hear from the people that did it- I am happy to get the input of anybody. Big picture and all that.

After all, as someone said this is the premier site to discuss and share info on our favorite team. I know all types are passing through this little thread. So far, the only thing I have heard is "I didn't do it" and "lolflol".

I am not even using the word pussy.

I've tried to run through how the strategy could lead to effective displays, but its a dead end each time.
    Last edited by Redpunkfiddle; 04-09-2012 at 09:15 PM.
    That's all I'll say about that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your contribution in the stands. Your contribution here has been thinly veiled insults to many members who have been helping get this far in a long uphill battle of loyal support. Those are people I want to be heard in this conversation. At no point did I say i think your opinion is invalid but I want to see both sides of a debate represented without demeaning either choice of support style.
    I thought the strobe idea was a decent idea (contribution)... but that was many opinio....I mean comments ago.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Due to rules with TICO we can only sell to members for sections that we buy.
    I thought we'd been through that before, and that turned out to not be true. You can't offer package travel trips to non-members ... but TICO has nothing to do with just selling tickets to a game.

I'm unsure about this thread. Someone is complaining that people weren't sitting in their proper seats - and are surprised that supporters would do that? Did I miss something here?

Perhaps I'm late to the party here ... just got back from Montreal.