Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Away Support

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overall, I imagine the section looked good. We don't have away travel frequent enough in these numbers to work out some of the coordination issues, either between the groups or on game day. In any case we just had what probably will be the second largest visiting support this season, assuming that Portland supporters can get 2500 tickets for their game in Seattle (I think that was the agreed amount, not certain of that). Even after 5 years of garbage football.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wren View Post
    The security was great. They had a cool attitude and were helpful. The beer was shitty, but it was non stop and sold to the final whistle. Complaining about the beer surprises. I can't believe there is complaining about the atmosphere. I thought it was great. I know it's a great offense to say anything negative about the capo, but it's enough with the hands up, sitdown, sing slow, sing fast stuff. I know he's trying to help, but at times I thought it was like the dj at a club clearing the dance floor. Just help with the chants and forget the theatrics. If some thought there was a bad atmosphere, maybe it's time to look in the mirror. There are complaints about, as always, the non affiliated supporters being hooligans who don't get it but Polish Dave gets all sorts of praise for shouting Fuck You Montreal through a megaphone. Those 'chants' died a quick death, but it happened at least 3 times. Most of the folks there were not into that sort of stuff. People like chanting, but not that. Also, there was a game and people were watching it. There is nothing wrong with being passionately into the game too. Rant over.
    If all I wanted to do was watch the game, I would have done that in the comfort of my home or a pub. I would like to think that if you make it to an away match, you would make an effort to be more then just a body.

We will never in this city agree on which type of support works best. He is a fan of vocal and visual support for 90 minutes, and that comes across in the way he capos. If you are a fan of a different style of support thats fine, but you are not likely to change the opinion of others and the way of support they think is best. Be thankful there are still people like him who are willing to step up and offer some kind of encouragement/coordination because alot of people have gotten tired of being heckled and criticized when they are only trying to make things better. Support in this city has been fairly stagnant and seen little to no growth for several years, and as the numbers in the stands start to dwindle this is only going to get worse.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on a point of constructive commentary on how to improve it - the sections were a lot bigger then "normally" when we are on the road and coordination of top and bottom was almost impossible especially without anyone in the middle to carry things upwards. I tried from time to time to carry it upwards but it was hard to even time when the drum was "quiet" from the upper sections. Either way lessons learned and we need to find a few more loud voices to fill in the middle bits

I am an Online Pole
    RPB Twitter and Facebook Bitch (http://www.twitter.com/redpatchboys)
    Pride...Passion...Purpose...and DRANK

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adamdz View Post
    If all I wanted to do was watch the game, I would have done that in the comfort of my home or a pub. I would like to think that if you make it to an away match, you would make an effort to be more then just a body.

We will never in this city agree on which type of support works best. He is a fan of vocal and visual support for 90 minutes, and that comes across in the way he capos. If you are a fan of a different style of support thats fine, but you are not likely to change the opinion of others and the way of support they think is best. Be thankful there are still people like him who are willing to step up and offer some kind of encouragement/coordination because alot of people have gotten tired of being heckled and criticized when they are only trying to make things better. Support in this city has been fairly stagnant and seen little to no growth for several years, and as the numbers in the stands start to dwindle this is only going to get worse.
    Ya, the smoke bombs helped on that front. Maybe its time your group started a conversation with the club?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    assuming that Portland supporters can get 2500 tickets for their game in Seattle (I think that was the agreed amount, not certain of that).
    I believe the agreement between the 3 Cascadia Cup teams is 500 tickets for the visiting suppoters, plus whatever amounts they can get in other sections!

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there was an agreement between the big O and Impact to use the stadium for big games over the next three years. Less than 20,000 does not bode well for them going forward though.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Ya, the smoke bombs helped on that front. Maybe its time your group started a conversation with the club?
    Sorry, but even though I am proponent of such things, my post made no mention of them. That post was made strictly with respect to the way chants should unfold/be lead (including timing and selection).

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adamdz View Post
    Sorry, but even though I am proponent of such things, my post made no mention of them. That post was made strictly with respect to the way chants should unfold/be lead (including timing and selection).
    Fair enough, my apologies. No offence indicated to you on that front. Just talking broadly as this and other threads have been talking about it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SCF1908 View Post

There he is!

That's my son! He's 9.

He's been to tonnes of games including the first home game.
    Your son rocks.

Future full time capo!

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I made a remark about what I noticed and if you don't like it take it up with the guys in U-Sector who are brothers that are the guys in question.
    I suggest you go to their board and see the reception. Don't bring drama here otherwise you will be shown the door.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As usual, the point is missed. I found the crowd was great. Those who complain have some idea in their head that the only real fans are the ones singing all the time (regardless of logic. The big O isn't our Graceland or our home, so why would I sing that?). When I say people were watching the game the response is always the same. Watching the game suddenly is a step away from being at the Library. I actually like soccer. When I watch at home I'm yelling at the T.V., just like when I watch live I yell and scream at the action. The capo may have good intentions, but the constant snarl and being repeatedly yelled at to wake up isn't inspiring, nor ar really ugly chants like FU Montreal. That's why I say some of those who choose to take on the responsibility of cheerleader need to look in the mirror if they don't get the results they are after. I had a great time despite the loss and thought it was a great day for Canadian soccer. I was bummed reading the complaints about fellow TFC supporters. Just trying to clarify my earlier rant, which is officially over.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    I think that if were were winning at any point in the match, then things naturally would have been better than they were.

The idea that support from the stands can be 100% independent of what's happening on the field doesn't fly with me. If the team is down, the mood is down. We can try our best, but singing for a losing team will never sound as full as singing for a won match. The team responds to the crowd, and the crowd responds to the play.
    call me crazy but singing just can't get enough when we are down 2-0, is a misrepresentation,...of my feelings,..lol
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that both “General admittance' in Montreal away supporters section” and “Away Support“ threads are pretty much about the same thing so I took a few quoats from the other thread and post in here.

I’ll start on a positive side. The support wasn’t all that bad. Yes we could of done better but it wasn’t a total shit show. With the simpler chants(We Love You, Allez Allzez, Just can’t get enough or simple TFC clap clap clap) everyone or most people had their hands up, they were jumping and chanting

Quote Originally Posted by stuart.mac View Post
    The away support not only showed up in numbers, but they made themselves heard loud and clear, Toronto FC has the BEST MLS away support. So thank you to all the fans who made the long trip out to Quebec to see the game, I didnt see a single empty seat in the supporters section, and quite a few TFC fans scattered throughout the general crowd. (Many with the RPB scarfs on
    I’m glad that you are positive and that you enjoyed yourself but TFC is no where close to having the BEST MLS away support. Just out of curiosity, besides MTL which away game were you at last?

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    the team was shit and support matched it.

We had numbers but no substance.

We were outchanted by the family sections next to us at times

I still had fun but yesterday was not a bright spot for TFC on and off the field
    Like I said, I don’t think we were that bad at all. Yea the Impact supporters in the section beside us got into it here and there but we responded with an anti-Impact chant and it seemed to quite them down, now I’m reading that some were offended by the Swearing in those chants :O Considering we were losing, again, we chanted for 90min. Yes some we too shy to open the mouths and chant but they were also many who lost their voices.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    I think that if were were winning at any point in the match, then things naturally would have been better than they were.

The idea that support from the stands can be 100% independent of what's happening on the field doesn't fly with me. If the team is down, the mood is down. We can try our best, but singing for a losing team will never sound as full as singing for a won match. The team responds to the crowd, and the crowd responds to the play.
    Good post and I agree with 99% of it. It is hard to support when we keep losing, like you said the energy just isn’t there, it doesn’t matter what we do it just won’t be the same. The only thing that I would say/add is that away trips are a little different. Not only do we chant and support the team but we also represent Toronto. If the the team is doing bad we should try to be as loud as possible, players are fighting on the field, we need to fight in the stands, represent the badge from the stands and show Home supporters who we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastend View Post
    I was in 259 and singing lasted pretty much the 90 minutes. The capo came and stood right in front of me (a little pissed as I was also trying to watch the game) but it picked up even more when he did. I am told he is part of NEE and he did a good job overall.

Security was fair and even with all the smoke bombs didn't get heavy handed as would surely happen at BMO.
    Dom.
    No I am not a part off NEE

In regards to your security comment I agree. They were really fair and professional. I was actually pleasantly surprised.

…I can't believe there is complaining about the atmosphere. I thought it was great. I know it's a great offense to say anything negative about the capo, but it's enough with the hands up, sitdown, sing slow, sing fast stuff. I know he's trying to help, but at times I thought it was like the dj at a club clearing the dance floor. Just help with the chants and forget the theatrics. If some thought there was a bad atmosphere, maybe it's time to look in the mirror. There are complaints about, as always, the non affiliated supporters being hooligans who don't get it but Polish Dave gets all sorts of praise for shouting Fuck You Montreal through a megaphone. Those 'chants' died a quick death, but it happened at least 3 times. Most of the folks there were not into that sort of stuff. People like chanting, but not that. Also, there was a game and people were watching it. There is nothing wrong with being passionately into the game too. Rant over.

hmmmm… Not sure what to tell you. I’m open to new ideas, I like to get feedback from supporters about the way I capo, I always want to improve. I try to mix all the different supporter styles together and get everyone going. When it comes to hands up, down, fast, slow, sitdown, get up is a way to look better visually when vocally we are not the best. If the capo(whoever that might be) tells you to put your hands up or sit down, do it and don’t complain. The capos don’t watch any of the game, they don’t get to be “passionately into the game”, they lose their voices, they sacrifice everything to improve the support, so show them some respect by cooperating even if it’s not your favorite chant.

In regards to swearing, I don’t usually swear on the Megaphone out of respect for others, I definitely don’t swear AT people but when we are playing Montreal IN Montreal for our first official so called “Derby” in MLS there will be swearing and anit-Montreal chants that have swearing. Not sure who was offended or who wasn’t “into that sort of stuff” but life is tough sometimes and I’m hoping they are not to traumatized and that they will be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    So did the people who brought and lit the smoke bombs in actually hold on to them or did they do the same pussy move they always do which is throw it and run?
    LOfuckingL

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    When we arrived we saw some supporters in our seats. Then then tried to tell us our seats were general admittance. It didnt say that on the tickets, website or any rep from montreal or ticketmaster. Dunno what supporters group they were from but they were really big dicks about it. Ended up getting our seats anyways (thanks to security). This shouldnt of been an issue. None of us had any problem with squeezing extra people into our row or anything like that but we definitely have a problem with people telling us that the seats we paid for arent ours to sit in. People sorta whined afterwards. The dudes next to us started out cold but ended up being nice guys. Just thought that should get aired out. Was pretty disappointed fellow supporters would act that way.

Which previous road trip had assigned seating? Ohh yea your ticket didn’t say General Admission on it right? Did you ever go on a TFC road trip where your ticket said “General Admission”? No ticket will ever say General Admission and no away trip will ever have assigned seating, it’s not possible, especially on a big trip like Montreal.

“Was pretty disappointed fellow supporters would act that way”??? Well I’m sure some fellow supporters were pretty disappointed with you.

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Ooltra supporter don't care about anything except support. Lit bombs, sing songs pay no attention to why you are there.

Quote Originally Posted by DOMIN8R View Post
    Look! It's a pile on from the oooltras. Shouldn't you guys have your own SG and message board or something?
    Sorry to burst your bubble but No he unfortunately is not a pile on from the Ooltras. He couldn’t afford the membership fee.

You guys are really something else.. I’m slowly getting to know who’s who(putting board names to faces) so I’ll just talk to you in person next time I bump into you.

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    Do I think smoke and flares add substance to displays and look pretty cool? Absolutely!

Would I like to see more of them? Absolutely!

Do I want to break MLS and stadium rules in order to enjoy these? Absolutely NOT!

Think about it for two seconds:

Would you rather use flares and smoke and then have Garber and MLS clamp down on Toronto away support like they did to Houston?

or

Would you rather be able to go to any and all away games, support the team with flags, banners, two-sticks, drums, singing etc?

Do you really want to be part of the small, small minority that ruin away game experiences for everyone else because MLS made a statement at the beginning of the season with Houston and I am willing to bet that if we weren't already on a short leash for past episodes, we are now going to be on a short leash.

I think smoke and flares are great, but I MUCH rather be able to go to away games and wave flags and hold 2-sticks and reveal banners and have a drum to keep chants to a beat then to RISK losing these and I really hope those that are inclined to light a flare or smoke think about the future and not so much the present
    Great post… Really hits the nail on the head.

This season we have an almost perfect away schedule for Supporters, pretty much one driveable east coast trip a month. Everyone has so much to say on the boards but I’m really curious how many of you I’ll be seeing in Montreal on May 2nd or DC May 19th…

Polish Dave aka Capo aka Ooltra aka Guy with the megaphone aka Tifo Maker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As usual, the point is missed. I found the crowd was great. Those who complain have some idea in their head that the only real fans are the ones singing all the time (regardless of logic. The big O isn't our Graceland or our home, so why would I sing that?). When I say people were watching the game the response is always the same. Watching the game suddenly is a step away from being at the Library. I actually like soccer. When I watch at home I'm yelling at the T.V., just like when I watch live I yell and scream at the action. The capo may have good intentions, but the constant snarl and being repeatedly yelled at to wake up isn't inspiring, nor ar really ugly chants like FU Montreal. That's why I say some of those who choose to take on the responsibility of cheerleader need to look in the mirror if they don't get the results they are after. I had a great time despite the loss and thought it was a great day for Canadian soccer. I was bummed reading the complaints about fellow TFC supporters. Just trying to clarify my earlier rant, which is officially over.
    Who are you refering too?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    call me crazy but singing just can't get enough when we are down 2-0, is a misrepresentation,...of my feelings,..lol
    Ya man, I thought that was a 'when we're winning' song?

I can most defo get enough of being down 2-0

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I suggest you go to their board and see the reception. Don't bring drama here otherwise you will be shown the door.

Fair enough. Someone demanded I name names. So I did. I shall refrain from further comment on the matter.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neeen, I am referring to you. You highlighted half of a sentence, the other half said take a look in the mirror if you aren't getting the results you are hoping for. I don't really care about your self sacrafice. Maybe you should watch the game once in awhile, you might actually enjoy yourself rather than feeling like a martyr. My voice is shot too, and I sang most of the game. I'm not offended by the swearing but it became obvious that most people weren't into that. Listen to what works rather than what you feel should be sung. It's a two way street.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love away games. As far as I'm concerned, you don't necessarily have to sing if you don't feel inclined to. Being a loyal supporter isn't necessarily singing for 90 minutes, its making the huge round trip and taking up your spare time and money. Yes, at home games, you should sing in a supporters section, but people shouldn't be called out at away games. I think that's a tad harsh as they've already proven their commitment.

Overall I thought we were superb today, just saw the highlights when I got back and we look pretty fucking cool up in that top left corner. The little kid on the megaphone was hilarious, gave me a right good laugh.

Well done to everyone who made the effort, despite the shitty performance. Definetly going to squeeze in as many away games as I can now. Not to repay the team, because they don't fucking deserve that, but to get a few more numbers and make us look cool!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NeeeN View Post
    I’m glad that you are positive and that you enjoyed yourself but TFC is no where close to having the BEST MLS away support. Just out of curiosity, besides MTL which away game were you at last?

Don't think you understood what I was saying. I wasn't saying Montreal was the best I have see the Toronto Away Support. I am saying no other team (New York, Columbus, Chivas, LA) can get the same amount of people to go to away games, with the same passion and love for their team that Toronto.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*insert reach around for the timbers*
    they sold three full sections to new york last year to just the TA.
    how do i know? i was there *insert pies and dicks to be thrown at me*
    we're not what we use to be. personally i blame al gore for our drop in away attendance

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stolen straight from intarnets

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post

im calling the pooice

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dey bein callllllllllzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I appreciate the fact you wanted to spread the vibe Neeen and amp up the support in both sections, (top and bottom) but it takes 2 of you to keep that size of a place going. I tried to use Davyd and to help Red Rat right beside me but it was tough to hear at all.

Chris, the only way I could help with syncing the 2 sections was those "theatrics" you were talking about. It sounded twice as big and was incredible but it takes looking away from the run of play. I don't want to do that all game and appreciate the hell out of those who will. I love the singing united.

One thing that I will say in agreement is that I don't mind downtime in between songs but then you get into "how long is too long?" and "how long to wait?"

"JukeBox" is the term used here for what you are referring to. Just following the script and not reacting to the run of play.

I don't care for the term but I also prefer to read the crowd around me. If I'm the only one singing I lose my voice faster. That sucks.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 04-09-2012 at 06:07 PM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

He was also featured in the Feyenoord Kameraadjes magazine with his brother, which is the club magazine for kids. He LOVES this club, way more than I do if I am honest, because although he is born a Feyenoorder he's seen them play just once in Rotterdam while he has been to dozens of games here.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

He was also featured in the Feyenoord Kameraadjes magazine with his brother, which is the club magazine for kids. He LOVES this club, way more than I do if I am honest, because although he is born a Feyenoorder he's seen them play just once in Rotterdam while he has been to dozens of games here.
    The view of the field looks good.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since when did we start a youth capo academy?

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fort York, why is Seven Nation Army never done anymore? I can't think of an easier chant that unites everyone. I would think that if unity amongst supporters is the goal the simple chants are best. The kid capo might be cute to those that know him, but to me it's another example of people being in their own world. How can people be critical of fans or supporters who love soccer and think the game is the most important thing, and like that? Once again I want to stress I had a great time, which is what got me bothered when I read criticism of fellow fans who drove 500+ Km to be at the game. I wish just once my support would be embraced rather than criticised.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish just once my support would be embraced rather than criticised.
    that's exactly what i was trying to do with this post, but it got lost amongst the talk haha

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fort York, why is Seven Nation Army never done anymore? I can't think of an easier chant that unites everyone. I would think that if unity amongst supporters is the goal the simple chants are best. The kid capo might be cute to those that know him, but to me it's another example of people being in their own world. How can people be critical of fans or supporters who love soccer and think the game is the most important thing, and like that? Once again I want to stress I had a great time, which is what got me bothered when I read criticism of fellow fans who drove 500+ Km to be at the game. I wish just once my support would be embraced rather than criticised.
    I am at a bit of a loss, why is it not OK to have a kid lead a chant?