Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto View Post
    Montreal doesn't have the same small town hate-on for Toronto as Toronto has for Montreal.
    This might just be the most ridiculous thing I've read on here all week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JavierMartini View Post
    Aceval would be fine if he cut the cute dipsy doodles outa his game. As for the goal, kocic has to be louder and or learn keeper in spanish. Endof/
    No man, I agree with you about a lot (particularly Pablo Vitti) but not this one. His positioning is really bad and he react with Dunfield-esque slowness to the pace of the game. I just don't think he's built for this style of football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal doesn't have the same small town hate-on for Toronto as Toronto has for Montreal.
    Uh, I grew up and went to school just outside Montreal, and this is absolutely the most incorrect statement I've ever seen on these boards, and that's saying something. I'm not from Toronto either, and I've spent a lot more time in Montreal than Toronto. But I can tell you Toronto's "hate" for Montreal is the Habs, and that's it. Other htan that, most Torontonians could care less if Montreal exists. Conversely, Montreal is Canada's former bigger city and the cultural hate there for Toronto has been ever-present since that era.

Spend a long time in both cities and it's clear the inferiority complex in Montreal about the city in general is far, far greater a factor than Toronto's hockey inferiority complex.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Good
    -Koevermans getting the duck off his back. He's been getting more dangerous each game, and I think the goals will start to come, as long as he's still motivated to score.
    -Kocic. My MOM
    -Away support

The Bad
    -Harden, JDG and Dunfield. Nuff said

The Ugly
    -Utter lack of heart by most of the team. Other than Koevermans, Kocic and Eckersley, most of the team played like they couldn't give a shit.
    Part of it is due to high turnover rate, and a lot of the players do not seem to identified themselves with the badge yet. At least up to around season 3, there were core players like Dichio, Robbo and Brennan who've been around since year 1 and who knows about the culture of the club to pass on to the new years. Well, we shall see what comes out of this group, whether they choose to give a damn about this club or not.
    I know I could not have played this shitty against two biggest rivals. (Do the players knew that this was a big rivalry game?) If I was TFC FO, I would have made the players watch a video about rivalry with Montreal, incl 08 Voyageurs Cup when Mtl won it at BMO Field, and 09 Voyageurs Cup at Stade Saputo, to make them know a little about club history and rivalry. Maybe they wouldn't have played so heartless then.

-Lacking pride
    You let your rivals score on you, and you just calmly watch them celebrate the goal in front of your away supporters? Are you fucking kidding me? First chance I get, I would have put in a hard challenge into Ubiparovic or whatever the twat's name is, and you send a message. You fight for your pride. TFC didn't have any pride at all

-Leadership
    I'm a big fan of leadership, and I think Frings proves that leadership is important in soccer, especially a bunch of egos like soccer players. Frings not only leads by example, but he's got the character to lead. JDG, not so much. He acts like he's got a spine of a jellyfish. If you are a player, would you give someone like JDG the respect as a captain and listen to him? JDG has motivation skill of a dodo in my opinion.
    If I was Winter, I'd strip JDG of captaincy and give it to Eckersley. At least Ecks may be a bit of firebrand, but he actually acts like he gives a shit. After Ecks, Kocic.

-Fan Appreciation
    I don't care how tired you are, or what sort of emo problems you have after the big loss at Torreon. If you can't take a few steps to show appreciation to about a thousand of your supporters who put in a lot of time and money to support you away from Toronto, you have your priorities wrong. I have a feeling that a lot of the team seems to take the supporters for granted and that really pisses me off.
    Last edited by Yohan; 04-09-2012 at 09:40 PM.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has it been mentioned that this is the worst start for the team since the first season? So far we have lost to an expansion team and two teams that started playing after we joined the league (Seattle and the reborn San Jose.) Putting these losses on the lack of Frings just shows our total lack of depth or ability on the rest of the park.

I after six losing seasons I am starting to lose faith that it will ever get better. I am tired of new "Five year plans" and "This year we have something special."

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure how many people were watching UM02 do their thing, but I was impressed. They were pretty small in size (but much bigger than last time I saw them in 09) and they were passionate and enthusiastic. Their banner making skills suck, but they were going nuts for entire 90, plus like 10mins after the game, chanting and bouncing and whatever.

I hope they get a lot of room to grow in Stade Saputo, and it'll be good for supporter's culture in this league. I think these guys will surpass us soon, if we don't step up. (TFC supporters have gotten complacent and falling behind to a lot of supporter groups, while others are stepping it up. See the Cauldron at Kansas City)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh yeah. TFC lost to Mtl's A- team. FFS. Bernier, Mapp, Braun and Arnaud weren't in starting line up *mad*

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Uh, I grew up and went to school just outside Montreal, and this is absolutely the most incorrect statement I've ever seen on these boards, and that's saying something. I'm not from Toronto either, and I've spent a lot more time in Montreal than Toronto. But I can tell you Toronto's "hate" for Montreal is the Habs, and that's it. Other htan that, most Torontonians could care less if Montreal exists. Conversely, Montreal is Canada's former bigger city and the cultural hate there for Toronto has been ever-present since that era.

Spend a long time in both cities and it's clear the inferiority complex in Montreal about the city in general is far, far greater a factor than Toronto's hockey inferiority complex.
    (I don't know where the up pointing key is, but I would use it if I did)

Most people I know in Toronto like Montreal and the people that live there. Everyone outside the 416 hates Toronto.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I'm not sure how many people were watching UM02 do their thing, but I was impressed. They were pretty small in size (but much bigger than last time I saw them in 09) and they were passionate and enthusiastic. Their banner making skills suck, but they were going nuts for entire 90, plus like 10mins after the game, chanting and bouncing and whatever.
    Someone needs to teach them to make banners...

Truth be told, I like MTL, in 31 of 34 MLS season games I am rooting for them... they REALLY need better banners though.

I was thinking it would be funny to make a TIFO making fun of their crap TIFO, something that looks like theirs and says 'This is our kids TIFO' another sweet ass one that says 'And this is OURS'

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
    Actually, my understanding is that they gave away two extra tickets to every STH. People in Montreal simply do not give a flying fuck about any team not named Les Canadiens. They do, however, care about being part of the latest happening, which is what their 58,000-spectator home opener was. Don't go thinking people were there because they care about the team. The only people who care about the Impact were the 100-odd people behind the net.
    Everyone who buys a season ticket cares about the team they're buying it for. I know people who watch every TFC game on TV and haven't been to a single home game due to work, cost or they coach the game. To say that if you're not part of a supporters group you don't care about your team is BULLSHIT.
    There isn't a mention in that quote about SGs.

Let's face it. If you're a casual fan in Montreal and the game is at noon and the opponent is a team who hasn't made the play-offs in six years and in the next few weeks , Henry Red Bull and Beckham Galaxy are coming to town, are you really going to make an extra effort to see JDG play?? I don't think a single casual fan in Montreal thinks we're their biggest rival. Montreal doesn't have the same small town hate-on for Toronto as Toronto has for Montreal. Over the last 15 years--The Leafs have bee terrible. The Argos have been terrible. No Expos. No NBA team. Their natural rivals would be Boston due to the Bruins.
    Already addressed above.

AND I doubt if we played the Impact at Roger Centres we'd get more than 23K either. Who gives a shit about their line-up? I'd rather see KC three times this year. Simply due to the increase in quality of opponent.
    I would love to see a poll on that one. I'd hate to have to market a Sporting KC match at Rogers Centre.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I'd hate to have to market a Sporting KC match at Rogers Centre.
    How about "Come sit in a teal seat and see Teal Bunbury"?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    How about "Come sit in a teal seat and see Teal Bunbury"?

Sold!

I actually do reserve a sizable amount of rancor for that fellow but I doubt its enough reason for 50k+ Torontonians to go. Not counting all the travelling "Sporting" support, of course.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 04-10-2012 at 07:16 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kooper View Post
    Has it been mentioned that this is the worst start for the team since the first season? So far we have lost to an expansion team and two teams that started playing after we joined the league (Seattle and the reborn San Jose.) Putting these losses on the lack of Frings just shows our total lack of depth or ability on the rest of the park.
    Repeatedly. It is also worth noting that in the first season, 3 of the first 4 games were away games, and this season only two of the 4 were away games.

Granted - we have had more fixture congestion at the start of this year than in year one.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    This might just be the most ridiculous thing I've read on here all week.
    Well I grew up Montreal and I have never met a French Canadian say a word about Toronto sports. Toronto could be Cleveland or Kansas City to them. The media in Toronto loves the idea that the city is hated everywhere else. That may be true in English Canada- as they are force fed a steady diet of Toronto based reporting through the networks. But in Quebec the TV networks and media are based in Montreal.

The most ridiculous thing I've read all week was that the worse thing to happen in Montreal to those that drove the 401 was the overpriced beer.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kooper View Post

I after six losing seasons I am starting to lose faith that it will ever get better. I am tired of new "Five year plans" and "This year we have something special."
    Which is exactly why I have a hard time taking people seriously when they say things like: "C'mon guys, we're not THAT bad" or; "at least we're playing better than last season".

I mean, look at who our opponents have been. Look at our goal differential. We actually are that bad! The big problem is that we've been through rough patches before but always found a little optimism in the future, but now a lot of goodwill from the fans and supporters has evaporated, I think.

Well I grew up Montreal and I have never met a French Canadian say a word about Toronto sports. Toronto could be Cleveland or Kansas City to them. The media in Toronto loves the idea that the city is hated everywhere else. That may be true in English Canada- as they are force fed a steady diet of Toronto based reporting through the networks. But in Quebec the TV networks and media are based in Montreal.

The most ridiculous thing I've read all week was that the worse thing to happen in Montreal to those that drove the 401 was the overpriced beer.
    I've pretty much heard the same thing. Even when it comes to hockey, most Habs fans I know of scoff at the thought of Toronto being their rivals. They have more animosity toward Boston than any other club. That said, I think soccer is a bit different. I can honestly say I absolutely loathe the Impact and it's shitty fans, but that's okay because I'm sure at least a few of them think the same toward TFC and it's fans.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 04-11-2012 at 12:00 AM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm literally just back from my trip....Montreal for the game and then Quebec City for some amazing food!

I haven't read through this thread yet as I don't want it to change my opinion of the game.

My big issue with TFC on Saturday (and before) is that they lack any type of co-ordination, especially going forward. Whenever any of our offensive players received the ball - ALL the other attackers run away from him, giving him very few options other than to "attempt" a cross or a VERY long range pass, and then inevitably that player loses the ball. That means that the attackers are constantly giving up possession of the ball, and then putting our midfield and defense constantly under pressure. And then NO defense in the world can be under THAT much pressure without eventually buckling.

And it isn't one of the attackers that are at fault - its ALL of them. They are playing like a bunch of total strangers! So, I can't help but wonder WHAT exactly Winter has had them working on all off-season? Its like they haven't played as a team together EVER!

I've always thought that the best form of defense is attack AND that the best way of defending is from the front of the pitch. But TFC aren't doing this at all well. Whenever TFC broke down a Montreal attack, the ball worked its way upfield, for the TFC attackers to the lose the ball instantly, and then Montreal were back on the attack again.

I know everybody on this forum is constantly complaining about individual defenders - but I think I have a MUCH bigger issue with the attack right now. TFC needs to keep the ball MUCH longer, use passes wisely, and stop putting our own back line under constant pressure!

Why do ALL the attackers run away from the winger (plata, Johnson, OR Soolsla) like they have a horrible disease whenever they have the ball? They need to go HELP the winger out - creating an angle for a pass! TFC are going to constaantly be on the defensive if they keep attempting to attack as 4 indivual players. They need to work as a TEAM!

Come on Aron Winter - stop blaming "individual errors" and admit that YOUR tactics just are NOT working!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ there is too much space between the players, and this is hurting us at the back and in attack. I hope that he addresses it by adopting a more compact formation. I suggest that he sticks with the 4-3-3 ( as that is his thing) and keeps two DMs but pushes the wings back to make it look more like a 4-2-3-1 ( alla Mou Inter).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    ^ there is too much space between the players, and this is hurting us at the back and in attack. I hope that he addresses it by adopting a more compact formation. I suggest that he sticks with the 4-3-3 ( as that is his thing) and keeps two DMs but pushes the wings back to make it look more like a 4-2-3-1 ( alla Mou Inter).
    This is exactly what we did vs. Santos in the first game, and it worked beautifully.

I'm not sure if the issue is heart, so much as intelligence. I think JDG and Dunfield both make very poor positioning decisions, which has a lot to do with this.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To the people who claim Montreal fans don't care about Toronto....what? I was at the Super Sexe on Saturday night and 2 guys in Leaf jerseys walked in and almost everyone in the place booed them from the door to their seats, even with a girl onstage. Every person I've ever met from Montreal never shuts up about the Leafs.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wren View Post
    To the people who claim Montreal fans don't care about Toronto....what? I was at the Super Sexe on Saturday night and 2 guys in Leaf jerseys walked in and almost everyone in the place booed them from the door to their seats, even with a girl onstage. Every person I've ever met from Montreal never shuts up about the Leafs.
    That really doesn't make sense, we give them so many points.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They would do the same if you came in with a Rangers, Ottawa, or Buffalo jersey as well. Montreal isn't so much anti-other hockey teams, they're just really REALLY pro-Canadiens.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    This is exactly what we did vs. Santos in the first game, and it worked beautifully. I'm not sure if the issue is heart, so much as intelligence. I think JDG and Dunfield both make very poor positioning decisions, which has a lot to do with this.

It is about intelligence, we have been complaining about an overall lack of footy IQ with this team for years now, and it is getting better, but it is no nearly at the level it shuold be. So I hope that winter address it with changes that instill in them some basics, like the DM getting back to a good defensive position if they do not have the ball or not otherwise contributing to the offensive play at the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    They would do the same if you came in with a Rangers, Ottawa, or Buffalo jersey as well. Montreal isn't so much anti-other hockey teams, they're just really REALLY pro-Canadiens.
    Yes, there's a bunker-mentality in Quebec, for sure, a kind of "us against the world," and they don't really differentiate between the rest of the world. No Montreal team has ever tried to sell itself as, "Canada's team." The Canadiens aren't even "Quebec's team."

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They don't like Toronto in Montreal, more so than other cities (Boston might be the exception in hockey). How can it even be questioned? This board blows my mind sometimes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They don't like Toronto in Montreal, more so than other cities (Boston might be the exception in hockey). How can it even be questioned? This board blows my mind sometimes.
    I lived in Montreal for thirty years. Toronto just isn't that special to them, they don't like anyone else. For the longest time they made fun of Toronto the way you do someone you kind of feel sorry for - no bars open on Sunday, you couldn't sit on a patio and have a drink. So now that's changed but Montreal doesn't care.

But the soccer rivalry is actually going to be good. Again, of course, Toronto is going to have to keep up its end and be competitive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    I lived in Montreal for thirty years. Toronto just isn't that special to them, they don't like anyone else. For the longest time they made fun of Toronto the way you do someone you kind of feel sorry for - no bars open on Sunday, you couldn't sit on a patio and have a drink. So now that's changed but Montreal doesn't care.
    That's still the biggest stereotype Montrealers have toward Toronto: That it's a boring city. I lived the first 25 years of my life in Montreal and have been in Toronto for 15, and I can guarantee you that most Montrealers still believe there is nothing to do here, and they have no intention of ever coming here. No French Canadian from Montreal would ever say "hey, let's go spend the weekend partying in Toronto!" Actually on Friday night I was at a comedy club in Montreal and the idiot on stage was making jokes about how boring of a city Toronto was, and the crowd was howling in that "oh it's so true" way.

My point is, people in Montreal don't hate Toronto. The Leafs are just another rival to their beloved Canadiens, on par with the Bruins, Rangers, Red Wings, Flyers or any other team with which they have a history. Nothing special about the Leafs. For anything not hockey-related their attitude is a mixture of ignorance-bred condescension (Toronto is boring) and secret envy (Toronto has better jobs, waaaayyy more money, real estate is actually worth something) but there is no hatred. Hence, the TFC-Impact rivalry will have to develop on its own merits rather than depending on the supposed hatred between the two cities. And we're not doing too badly on that front.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many years did you live in Montreal? Because your experience seems to be different from that of the other posters here who have actually lived there. It sounds like you're basing your opinions more on stereotypes rather than facts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    It is about intelligence, we have been complaining about an overall lack of footy IQ with this team for years now, and it is getting better, but it is no nearly at the level it should be. So I hope that winter address it with changes that instill in them some basics, like the DM getting back to a good defensive position if they do not have the ball or not otherwise contributing to the offensive play at the time.
    This is the exact point I 've been trying to make for year as poster, We are not finding/aquiring the players that play this game smoothly and with experience. explain to me one of our wingers that has better footyiq/skill/speed/strength ability than nakajima........none of them.
    Plus brings seasoned attacking experience to a younger squad.
    people say "he's not the answer" maybe not, but he is one of them.
    name me one of our central defenders right now that tackles/breaks play at pace better than nana................none
    he should really be here in our system more than harden.

as club we have culturely been steern away from attractive, skilled players for more workman like players and because of this lack of creativity/quality.
    We chased all the skilled/athletic footballers we did have out of town.

now we are only left with people that work hard, but cant control a pass or make a simple shot or consistently pentrate the final third.

We need to stop making the nice decisions and start making the ones that matter..............This is about winning bottom line.

ever seen a pro team fold???

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, you're at a club where a comedian is making fun of Toronto, and the people are both envious and purposefully ignorant and all get the jokes. I never used the word hate, but I hardly call those things neutral and non carring. I've never lived there, but have been there lots and know several ex Montrealers. Tell me this, what did the comedian have to say about Philadelphia?